Ever use Hertz at MCO?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
We usually have luck with Alamo, but rates for our post Christmas trip is 1200 for 11 day trip. Hertz is much better at 508, but we've never used them. We had a bad experience with Dollar (a sister company of Hertz) in the past as they tried to get us to pay 380 to repaint a scratch that was on the car when we picked it up. Anybody use Hertz, or any advice?

We used Hertz a few years ago, but we didn't pick up at MCO. The first time we were staying on International Drive and walked to a Hertz kiosk there. The second time we used ME to and from MCO and picked up the rental car at the Hilton Orlando-Bonnet Creek Resort. Both experiences were good and straight forward. I can't really comment on how they might be post covid though. Being a Gold Club Member (free to join) speeds up the pick up and return process.

Until I retired 5 years ago I used Hertz extensively at MCO. A couple of trips a year. Where I worked had an agreement with Hertz for very competitive pricing. I was a Gold Club member and walked from the terminal right to the car. I would get a text telling me what slot the car was in. Never had a problem. But I would always walk around the car and check for damage before driving away. Definitely sign up for Gold Club if you use Hertz.

We have almost always used Hertz and have found the MCO experience both simple and efficient both picking up and returning. As others said, sign up for the free Gold Club membership. Other than that I can think of no Hertz-specific advice.

I'm seeing a number of posts by first time Hertz users, and oddly, I booked another service (Budget) for our upcoming trip the last week of December because for the first time in years Hertz was not competitive for my needs. But that oddity aside, I expect the first time Hertz users to do fine. There's always a random bad experience with any vendor, but no reason to think Hertz has more than usual.

I used Hertz at MCO a month ago and it was great, I have the Gold Club membership, walked right out to the garage, my name was on the board with a space number, went there, the truck was locked. Went back to the desk, they gave me a different one and I was set. If the prices are close I would go with Hertz over any of the others. When it's not, well, that's why I have a rental with Alamo starting Thursday.

Sign up for the Gold Club, fill out everything you can. After you get your bags go to the bottom level A side, walk across the street into the parking garage, up the escalator on your left and you should see the hut and board. If your name is on the board the vehicle should be unlocked with the keys in it. Load up and drive it out, they will scan the VIN and your DL when you leave.

My wife has Hertz Gold through her business, but even with that we always get a better price with other companies. (except one time in Minneapolis)

So do I understand correctly that Hertz and Budget assigns the car to you? You don't get to go pick your own from a specific aisle? I like to pick my own and that is why I never cared for Hertz or Budget. I've always used Alamo and Enterprise so I can pick my own. I guess I could adjust if the savings were substantial. But I never found Hertz or Budget to be comparable to Alamo/Enterprise. Does Hertz or Budget charge for an additional driver? Alamo membership includes an additional driver which works for us because I do like to venture out on my own sometime to the Outlets while DH and kids enjoy pool time. Also I am a NJ girl, so I am not one to pump my own gas unless I absolutely had to. So DH goes and tops off the tank every few days so I don't have to. :rolleyes: :rolleyes1

So do I understand correctly that Hertz and Budget assigns the car to you? You don't get to go pick your own from a specific aisle? I like to pick my own and that is why I never cared for Hertz or Budget...

If you are a Hertz Gold Club member (free to join), they will typically assign you a car in your reserved class, then email/text a generic "Welcome to Orlando! Your Nissan Altima is waiting for you in Space 534". However, you also have the option to choose your own car from the Gold section. This is what we do most of the time, looking for upgrades or newer/lower mileage vehicles. There is also selection areas for higher tier members called Five Star and President Circle, based upon the amount of rentals the member has on file.

FYI - You must reserve intermediate or larger for "choose your own", no reserving economy and driving out in a SUV.

If you are a Hertz Gold Club member (free to join), they will typically assign you a car in your reserved class, then email/text a generic "Welcome to Orlando! Your Nissan Altima is waiting for you in Space 534". However, you also have the option to choose your own car from the Gold section. This is what we do most of the time, looking for upgrades or newer/lower mileage vehicles. There is also selection areas for higher tier members called Five Star and President Circle, based upon the amount of rentals the member has on file.

FYI - You must reserve intermediate or larger for "choose your own", no reserving economy and driving out in a SUV.
Thanks for the details. I often wondered how "differently" they operated compared to Alamo/Enterprise. I am a Hertz Gold Club Member. I like the idea of the "Gold" section in Orlando providing you the option of choosing your own car. So correct me if I'm wrong, but if they have that Nissan reserved in spot 534, but there is an Toyota Rav4 in the Gold section, I am assuming I can take the Rav4 instead? Because I also prefer a newer/lower mileage vehicle too. As far as size, I usually rent an intermediate size and use a coupon code for a free upgrade to a full-size. Thanks for helping me to decide to keep Hertz in mind.

...So correct me if I'm wrong, but if they have that Nissan reserved in spot 534, but there is an Toyota Rav4 in the Gold section, I am assuming I can take the Rav4 instead? Because I also prefer a newer/lower mileage vehicle too. As far as size, I usually rent an intermediate size and use a coupon code for a free upgrade to a full-size. Thanks for helping me to decide to keep Hertz in mind.

Yup, that's exactly how it works for me. I typically reserve a mid-size/intermediate. Then regardless of what's been assigned to me, I go "shopping" in the Gold section to see if I can upgrade myself.

In MCO, Hertz keeps all the keys in the cars, so no stopping at the counter...just pick something you like and check out at the gate. The attendant will just ask to see your DL, since credit card is typically already on your online profile. They will re-assign the new vehicle to your reservation, releasing the Nissan in spot 534. They sometimes offer free bottled water if its warm outside but that was pre-COVID.

Yup, that's exactly how it works for me. I typically reserve a mid-size/intermediate. Then regardless of what's been assigned to me, I go "shopping" in the Gold section to see if I can upgrade myself.

In MCO, Hertz keeps all the keys in the cars, so no stopping at the counter...just pick something you like and check out at the gate. The attendant will just ask to see your DL, since credit card is typically already on your online profile. They will re-assign the new vehicle to your reservation, releasing the Nissan in spot 534. They sometimes offer free bottled water if its warm outside but that was pre-COVID.
Wow. Thanks so much for the info. Now I will be sure to always run the numbers for Hertz during my planning. I am assuming Hertz allows for a spouse to be an additional driver without any additional fees.

Wow. Thanks so much for the info. Now I will be sure to always run the numbers for Hertz during my planning. I am assuming Hertz allows for a spouse to be an additional driver without any additional fees.
If you join Hertz Gold they include spouse/partner for free. Budget/Avis allow a spouse/partner for free, no membership required. If you join Budget Fastbreak or Avis Preferred, you skip the counter - they assign your car but you can request another if you don't like it.

Well I hope all of this info was helpful to the OP. It was definitely helpful to me. Gave me a reason to consider Hertz, Budget and Avis when prices are competitive. I seemed to always avoid them because their rates were higher, and I assumed you had to take the car assigned to you. Now I know to keep them in mind too. :thumbsup2

Well I hope all of this info was helpful to the OP. It was definitely helpful to me. Gave me a reason to consider Hertz, Budget and Avis when prices are competitive. I seemed to always avoid them because their rates were higher, and I assumed you had to take the car assigned to you. Now I know to keep them in mind too. :thumbsup2
Hi TamaraQT! Yes, glad to see that there is Hertz love on these boards in case we decide to use them. I am concerned about going Gold, though, because of our Dollar experience on a past trip. I am hesitant to put a credit card on file with them in case they "decide" we are responsible for any marks on the car they find after return, or tacking on additional surprise items. We had never had any of these types of issues with Alamo, but did with Dollar, which is affiliated with Hertz. Any way around the credit card issue?

Hi TamaraQT! Yes, glad to see that there is Hertz love on these boards in case we decide to use them. I am concerned about going Gold, though, because of our Dollar experience on a past trip. I am hesitant to put a credit card on file with them in case they "decide" we are responsible for any marks on the car they find after return, or tacking on additional surprise items. We had never had any of these types of issues with Alamo, but did with Dollar, which is affiliated with Hertz. Any way around the credit card issue?
No, in order to skip the counter you have to have a card in your profile that gets charged. Every company that I am aware of requires that, including Alamo. Dollar and Hertz while run by the same company are run completely differently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter