Ever had to cancel a vacation? UPDATE pg 6

Yes, not a WDW trip but still disappointing. I was supposed to go visit family in my home town a few weeks ago. My Mom who has not been doing well took a turn for the worse the 4 days before the trip. She is 73 and has sevearl heart issues, copd and sepsis. She was put on a ventilator and when they did the test to wean her off she failed. She has a living will and was awake and aware when they did the test and she wanted to be taken off of the vent. We waited until all 7 of my siblings and most of the grandkids could get to the hospital before taking her off. Those extra few hours turned things around and she was able to breathe on her own. We were told that it could be for 5 minutes, a few hours or a few weeks. She is still with us 3 weeks later in a nursing home on hospice care We are taking it day by day but seeing her decline more each day is hard. Some of the family I was going to see hurried and made a quick trip here to see her. I don't dare take a trip 100 miles away as I am trying to spend as much time with her as possible right now. It won't happen this year as I am a teacher and will return to school in a few weeks.

We had to cancel our trip in June of this year. I booked our dining reservations the end of December and found out we were (unexpectingly) expecting the beginning of January. I waited for our ultrasound and to make it to the second trimester before cancelling. I knew I would be miserable walking around in the heat at 27 weeks pregnant.

I am kinda glad we cancelled now because that week in Orlando was horrible rainy weather. I think it rained the entire time we would have been there. But, I am absolutely looking forward to going back next year with our new addition!

I had to cancel a trip once due to problems at the business we owned...I was like a little kid, just crushed. I burst into tears when I called Disney to cancel! I felt so silly, but I was really looking forward to going, as always. The CM I spoke with was so nice, and Disney sent the deposit right back. I have been twice since then and am going in November. I sure understand. Just remember that you, too, will go again.

I'm sorry. I think your uncle can cancel 31 or more days out and not have his points go into holding. Maybe he can help you rebook if indeed you do have to cancel.

pixiedust: sending pixie dust for good news tomorrow!

Oct 31, 2003.... We were supposed to leave the next morning for our first disney trip. The kids and I had been counting the days down for weeks. DH called from work at 2 in the afternoon. We couldnt go, work was BAD and he just couldnt leave. I already had the van packed. It was painful, but we survived and were able to go in February 2004.

The lovely folks on the DVC member services board told me about the 30 day rule for DVC points so I guess it's at least good if I do have to cancel at least he should be able to recoup his points...and he may even be that cool uncle who will let us use those same points to rebook another time. I know there are SO many worse things in life than missing a vacation...so yeah I feel like a whiny kid, but man it hurts. It also hurts knowing that aside from the vacation that our business is going to be in the toilet for a while if this happens.

Yes, in March 1996 when my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. We ended up going in November after she had chemo & radiation. She didn't want to go because her hair was just coming back in but she went and it actually turned her around, she got her appetite back and saw there was still a life ahead.

We were supposed to leave today for 2 weeks in Orlando - one week at Marriott Harbour Lake and one week using our DVC. However, at the moment I am sitting on my couch. My husband ended up in the hospital this week due to a blood clot in his leg after recent knee surgery. We cancelled the Marriott entirely and lost the week. We hoped to go next week for the second half but the doctor said absolutely not. He said maybe we can go the week after so I called and was able to move the DVC though not to the same type of accommodations. Now, we're just hoping all ges well the next week and a half and that we can go.

The way I see it, at least my husband is alive. Yes, it's disappointing that everything is up in the air, but it's a matter of perspective.

If it were us,:scratchin ...I'd cancel the trip. Your business is more important than vacation. (we've had a family business for 35 years and been through some rough periods) Sounds to me like there are ramifcations to whatever is happening in September either way.
I don't think I'd be able to enjoy myself knowing that the coming days were gonna be rough ones. Disney will still be there when times are better and you can really enjoy yourselves. :hug:

Our heating & cooling unit has the nickname 'Washington DC' because our old one died as we were planning the trip so guess where the money came from?

I am sorry to hear you had to spend your money on a new heating and cooling unit, but thanks for giving me a great laugh! I think I will use this technique soon in my own life!

:hug: sorry for the situation...been there done that, so many times we coin the phrase rescheduled postpone-ment..."RPP". Case in point, we were supposed to go this May to celebrate DD's college, DS high School graduations, my 50th and our 25th anniversary. We were in Sarasota for DD's ceremony...2 short hours away...but it was a no can do , for more reasons than I can get into, but all financial. The thing is, while it is a total bummer when we have to implement RPP, the relief that comes with it of knowing we are doing the right thing( tho for sure not the FUN thing)kinda takes the sting out of it. You know, when you have to RPP a trip, it just might be good for the economy...as you are keeping a CM employed, at least at the ressie department...(silver lining...you see it, right?) I hope it works out for you to still go, but only if it doesn't add MORE stress...and for heaven's sake, no longer use the word "cancel"...it's just not humane;)

also...Fantasyland isn't finished yet! For the cost of a trip, you should be able to access Fantasyland, right? Just tell yourself thats the REAL reason for the RPP...

I am so sorry this is happening. I will say a prayer for you that everything works out in your favor.

I just canceled our Thanksgiving trip to Disney this week myself. I cancelled all of our ADRs last night. It stinks, but we have had so many hits, one after another, that we have decided to wait until Spring break, and hope that we can do it then.

I wish you the very best of luck that everything works out for you. Everyone needs a vacation from time to time.:hug:

I'm sorry :(. Fingers crossed for good news from your clients - mostly for your business, but also for your trip.

I've had to cancel two trips. One was with my mother and sister back in 2000. My sister's 11 year old daughter passed away in the hospital after an asthma attack a few weeks before our trip was scheduled for. I was devastated, but obviously not because of the trip being cancelled :(.

The other trip was in 2008 when a DIS friend invited me to go with her. We had all our plans made, but I ended up injuring my knee and having surgery a few weeks before the trip. My prognosis was that I would be off crutches well before the trip, but my recovery took longer than expected. It was clear at two weeks before the trip that I was going to at least need an ECV, so I had to back out of the trip. I was finally able to do that friend trip last year with her, though :thumbsup2.

I hope things work out and you still get to go.
But, if not, I agree with FinFan, this is better than getting in deep financially and having to spend a long time digging out. You'll sleep easier at night, trust me...
We took a fantastic Disney trip in the summer of 2010. THEN, the ax fell. A major medical situation (that nailed us with back to back deductibles plus all the following bills), both vehicles had issues and we ended up replacing one and putting a lot of work into the other, oral surgery, and the list goes on. It was depressing and it made me regret the trip which sucks almost as much as cancelling. :rolleyes2 It took us a solid two years to recover.
Now that the medical situation appears to have stabilized, we're kinda hoping/planning for a cheap camping trip at the end of next summer, but I'm afraid to get excited about it.
I do hope things work out for you. pixiedust:

Awww, Dang! I'm sorry to hear you might have to cancel, that would make me VERY sad too....crying and pouting sad! I CAN relate too, as our finances are taking yet another hit and I am trying to keep promises I made earlier in the year.

I really hope you find a way to go, you have tickets and a room so maybe there will be a way (?) I'll be following the thread and wishing you good luck :wizard:

I am so sorry you are in this situation :hug:

Once I had to cancel a trip last minute. My Mom and I always wanted to do a Mother-Daughter WDW trip. Our trip was booked for the day after September 11th. We tried to re-book the plane tickets for October, but Delta said that there were no seats for the same price that we paid (got an amazing deal $110 pp/rt). They would rather give us cash back and send a plane 1/2 empty than book us on a later flight. :confused:

We had to cancel (ahum....POSTPONE) a trip when the economy first went bad, due to my husband having to change jobs. The kids were so disappointed, and I was heartbroken.:( But it was the right decision then.

Several years later we planned that trip again. The economy was shaky but we refused the disappointment of another cancelled trip, so we went. Wouldn't you know, the day we returned, the company my husband worked for, closed it's doors....shock! :scared1: (This eventually led us to a better job, and we purchased DVC so we will never lose the excitement of Disney trips again::yes::)

So we've done it both ways. Sometimes it's meant to be, sometimes it's not. :confused3 Think about what's most important to you:

1) If you went on the trip now would you REALLY get to enjoy it, or would health issues :sick:and financial stress put a dark cloud over the whole trip? Then wait and reschedule later....you're not CANCELLING, just POSTPONING!

OR

2) Are you in a place where life is short and family time is important. :hippie:The finances have already been worked out for the trip, go and enjoy the trip and enjoy your family time. Tighten your belt when you return if you have to, but with this economy you really never know what other financial tornado waits around the corner.

Good luck with your decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter