Evening Magic Hours for Deluxe Guests Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps they also needed a perk to add to their direct purchase DVC selling points. All of the DVC membership extras (DVC APs, Top of the World, no Moonlight Magic Events) are gone right now. They desperately need something to get people buying DVC to buy direct from Disney as opposed to resale. The value just isn't there to spend an extra $75-$100 per point to buy from Disney.

I also think the evening hours will be sproadic. "Select nights at select parks" does not sound like it will happen with the frequency of the old evening EMH.

My first reaction when I read the news was, "oh this isn't a good look for Disney". As a DVC owner, I will benefit from this and love taking advantage of it, as we always used the evening EMH before. But I did think how this really promotes a class system that I know already exists, but it just adds to it. I guess that is the way of the world... pay more, get more. I really am having a hard time understanding why anyone would stay at an onsite value or moderate resort. The perks are not there for the price. You can stay offsite for way less money.
Taking away ME, EMH, adding paid parking, reduced pool hours, less than efficient bus service, it's not the same Disney that we fell in love with before we bought DVC. Without that love that we felt back in the day, we would never have bought DVC. I think Disney may be shooting itself in the foot here in the long run.

As someone who stays deluxe almost exclusively, I can honestly say that this would have no impact at all on whether or not I decided to stay deluxe. Especially now with the park reservations being a thing. Having to try to balance meal reservations, and EMH to fit into certain (reserved) days just to get a couple (if we are lucky) of extra hours in a park on a given night seems like more of a headache than a perk. We have hardly even used them in recent years to be honest. The perk has diminished a great deal from the days when you could see Spectromagic from the top of Spash Mountain on your 8th ride in a row at midnight. I can see how people are upset about it, especially as this used to be a free perk. But it certainly isn't anything to get excited about on the other side either.

If someone thinks that, then that's their right. You have an opinion you are entitled to as do they. They or yourself don't have to get get it.
I mean sure.. but even myself I payed less than a value to stay at akl, by renting points. This is available to everyone. Sure it has drawbacks and risks but it was worth it for my family. Does this mean I'm richer than someone at a value? No it means Disney is prioritizing dvc and deluxe for now since they are more "upscale" and we don't even know if that's the reason. We can only assume.

You know what they say about assuming.

I'm a morning person, I really like the extra 30 minute morning time at all 4 parks.
When it was a full hour at only one park you would have all of the guests who want to take advantage of that extra hour waiting for opening together then rushing, sometimes actually running, off together for the best rides. If an early extra magic hour was at a smaller park like Hollywood studios, we'd actually avoid that park as it the crowd levels would be to high.
Now, with early guests spread out across all 4 parks we can go to whichever park we want to and still get at least one or two 'long line' rides out of the way - maybe more as there will be a lot less competition in the parks.

I mean sure.. but even myself I payed less than a value to stay at akl, by renting points. This is available to everyone. Sure it has drawbacks and risks but it was worth it for my family. Does this mean I'm richer than someone at a value? No it means Disney is prioritizing dvc and deluxe for now since they are more "upscale" and we don't even know if that's the reason. We can only assume.

We've thought about this, and AKL is for sure the way to go, however we havent been lucky enough to find points cheaper than a value. I know recently the cost to rent points has gone up as well.

Do you mind if i ask where you rented from? I may look into that in the future if we decide to go back.

We've thought about this, and AKL is for sure the way to go, however we havent been lucky enough to find points cheaper than a value. I know recently the cost to rent points has gone up as well.

Do you mind if i ask where you rented from? I may look into that in the future if we decide to go back.
I rented from someone on the boards at 17$pp

Where are you renting points to be able to stay in AKL where its cost you less than a value?

Never said folks can't be frustrated, I understand the issue it's just the rich vs poor people I don't get.

The "rich vs poor- it's not fair" logic is flawed in my opinion as well: agreed. We're in America: those that pay more, get more. Want to create EXTRA perks for deluxe guests? Absolutely: have at it! I'll drool & dream - and maybe splurge for a special occasion.

But the utter contempt this company shows for their own brand promise and guest experience blows me away. They take away popular benefits EVERY onsite guest used to get for many years and "give it back" just to deluxe guests. They devalue an experience, while continuously escalating its cost far past inflation rates. Then insult guests by spinning as something postive.

Um...just because we're frugal, it doesn't mean we're stupid. lol :rotfl:

The "rich vs poor - not fair" logic is flawed - I totally agree. We're in America: pay more, get more. Want to create EXTRA perks for deluxe guests? Absolutely: have at it! I'll drool & dream - and maybe splurge for a special occasion.

But the utter contempt this company shows for their own brand promise and guest experience blows me away: they take away popular benefits EVERY onsite guest used to get for many years and "give it back" just to deluxe guests. They devalue an experience, while escalating its cost. Then insult people by spinning it as something postive.

Um...just because we're frugal, it doesn't mean we're stupid. lol

I've said this before, disney sets very high expectations for themselves, their commercials tell you that you're going to have this magical experience and your kid will be treated like a prince or princess. That's really not the case though....

Honestly if you have the money to buy a smaller contract on resale, that is truly the way to go. We bought a 100 point contract at AKL a few years back. Doing the math it costs us $10.50 per point. For an average studio room that works out to be about $160 a night. That's great savings if you know you will be going to Disney every year or two.
We have a full 8 nights booked at AKL next February for a total of 79 points... That equals out to $830, just over a $100 a night. Now granted it took some luck to get 8 nights in a value studio booked at 11 months out, but I'm flexible and willing to stalk the website to get it.
I know it's not for everyone, but we regret not doing it sooner.

Astonishing that some people think Value guests don't pinch and save just as much as Deluxe guests (and often more) so their kids can go to Disney World.

As a former TA, my clients staying at the All-Star resorts were typically my favorites because they scrimped and saved to give their kids this one shot at a "magical" vacation. They knew they weren't going back. So they wanted it to be perfect. Now it seems a little less so. And I think it stinks.

So "work more, save more" sounds easy and all, and again—I'm not saying this is the end of the world!—but it *is* about who has money, and who can buy more time in the parks with this VIP "perk."

I've said this before, disney sets very high expectations for themselves, their commercials tell you that you're going to have this magical experience and your kid will be treated like a prince or princess. That's really not the case though....
Oh for sure. Disney is a beast and knows how to lure folks in. I bet you most people and guests won't even know this is happening. Just like the fast pass debate we are all very knowledgeable about the past and future. For a person who hasn't been for 10+ years they won't know they took emh away or understand it's a issue that deluxe get this bonus. Disney is banking on the masses not caring , or careing enough to book more dekix stays it's a win win for them really.

Astonishing that some people think Value guests don't pinch and save just as much as Deluxe guests (and often more) so their kids can go to Disney World.

As a former TA, my clients staying at the All-Star resorts were typically my favorites because they scrimped and saved to give their kids this one shot at a "magical" vacation. They knew they weren't going back. So they wanted it to be perfect. Now it seems a little less so. And I think it stinks.

So "work more, save more" sounds easy and all, and again—I'm not saying this is the end of the world!—but it *is* about who has money, and who can buy more time in the parks with this VIP "perk."
I have to agree with you. Even as a DVC owner now, when we stayed at Pop or the All Stars, we saved and pinched, and I was always calling to see what new deals I could get. I even had a spreadsheet that laid out the cost of food and everything so I knew how much to save for meals and other things the kids may want to buy. Did the same when we stayed at moderates.

Oh for sure. Disney is a beast and knows how to lure folks in. I bet you most people and guests won't even know this is happening. Just like the fast pass debate we are all very knowledgeable about the past and future. For a person who hasn't been for 10+ years they won't know they took emh away or understand it's a issue that deluxe get this bonus. Disney is banking on the masses not caring , or careing enough to book more dekix stays it's a win win for them really.
I'll say this, we went on our honeymoon in 2008, and i get the times were what they were then, but if that was our only trip that we had been on and we went back this year or next year, we would have been dumbfounded and probably upset with what we had paid and what we were not getting.

in 2008 we got an hour in the morning at different parks for Magic Hours, and 3 hours extra at night at different parks for Magic Hours. I can remember being at MK until 1am and loving it. We're not getting those now, and i bet it would cost us at least twice what we paid in 2008.

When we were there last week, the latest MK was open was 9pm......

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter