"Enchanted" will only be on Blu-Ray?!?!

AnninIowa

DIS Veteran
So I was all excited to buy "Enchanted" when it comes out in a couple of weeks...until I read that it will be on the Blu-Ray format! I went to look at Blu-Ray players - OUCH!! $499!!!

I don't watch many movies, so the whole thing is confusing to me...but from what I gather the traditional DVD formats are pretty much a thing of the past and we will all have to get Blu-Ray players???

I was just looking earlier tonight and disneyshopping.com has regular DVD format available for pre-order. And I saw a sign in Walmart today advertising it coming to DVD.

I don't think they will stop producing regular DVD format for a while. When DVD format came out they still sold VHS for a few years.

I was under the impression that there would still be regular dvds but if you wanted to see nose hair or a big pimple special effect you would need the blue ray stuff by next year.

Am I mistaken and that all movies will no longer come out on regular dvd?

I really don't think they'll discontinue regular dvd's by next year. A blu-ray dvd doesn't make a difference if you don't have an HD tv to watch it on...and while many people have one, enough don't that's I'm sure they'll still make regular dvd's for a few years.

It's possible the confusion is coming in on the fact that Disney will only offer it in high definition form on Blu-ray... that is, they won't offer it on HDDVD. It's two technologies that are warring right now, much like VHS and Beta did back in the day. VHS won then and, with many movie distributors going "Blu-ray" only in their HD versions, it looks like Blu-ray will win this one.

Non-high definition DVDs will still be available and will play on any DVD player :)

It's two technologies that are warring right now, much like VHS and Beta did back in the day. VHS won then and, with many movie distributors going "Blu-ray" only in their HD versions, it looks like Blu-ray will win this one.

Actually I remember reading that Blu-ray has recently won...HD is the new Betamax...

from wikipedia:

"Blu-ray Disc was locked in a format war with HD DVD until Blu-ray Disc's victory on February 19, 2008. On that day, Toshiba — the main driving force behind HD DVD — announced it would no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders[4], leading almost all other HD DVD supporters to follow suit."

I don't have either one! :confused3 I am behind the times!

I really don't think they'll discontinue regular dvd's by next year. A blu-ray dvd doesn't make a difference if you don't have an HD tv to watch it on...and while many people have one, enough don't that's I'm sure they'll still make regular dvd's for a few years.

It'll take a lot longer than 1 year, it'll only be when the players are more affordable that they'll start cutting the dvd stuff. Even now you still see VHS tapes at stores just to give you an idea of the time frame

I was under the impression that there would still be regular dvds but if you wanted to see nose hair or a big pimple special effect you would need the blue ray stuff by next year.
:lmao: I think I'd pass....:rotfl2: ...no rush to buy blueray here!

It's possible the confusion is coming in on the fact that Disney will only offer it in high definition form on Blu-ray... that is, they won't offer it on HDDVD.

Shouldn't be any confusion -- Disney has not offered their movies in HD-DVD in the North American market at all. They are a solid supporter of Blu-Ray, even though some members of this board were so bold as to suggest that Disney would inevitably release their movies in HD-DVD just to cash in on the market.

As long as the Blu-Ray movies cost $30+ each, I won't be buying any. I about choked when I looked to see how much they cost! Nope, staying with DVD for as long as possible. I don't need to see nose hair or the size of facial pores.

Ya know, why is it that everything is so freakin high tech these days??? DVDs are fine, why tweak that. I don't care to see pimples or nose hair. Just another way to make money I suppose...**rolling eyes**

It's funny, there's a very similar topic on a separate thread as well. Blu-ray picture looks incredible, blowing DVD out of the water. But don't fret, it will go down in price as well. The first DVD players were 800-1000 dollars, and DVDs were around 30-35 dollars a piece as well. Prices will fall if you're patient! :thumbsup2 Unfortunately, I don't have much patience, so I have one already:happytv:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter