Riviera points can only be used at Riviera?

Most of the 2042 rooms and points that are leaving the system are the more popular ones.

I think it’s going to make trading into the near park ones left harder for the resale owners since more owners won’t have BCV, BRV, and BWV to book

What might help, though, is the direct points at the newer resorts will have those Epcot locations back which could help steer than away from the ones left for the resale owners.
This could definitely be the case for resale SSR owners who bought just for SAP's. They may be forced into using their points at SSR more often than intended.

Your also taking VB and HHI points out of the system . Most of those points are used as SAP. OKW would fall into that category but to a lesser extent. I assume most owners at BCV and BWV use their points to stay there.

Most of the 2042 rooms and points that are leaving the system are the more popular ones.

I think it’s going to make trading into the near park ones left harder for the resale owners since more owners won’t have BCV, BRV, and BWV to book.

What might help, though, is the direct points at the newer resorts will have those Epcot locations back which could help steer than away from the ones left for the resale owners.
I think your assuming that DVC will re-sell these resorts back to the Public. I'm not sure of that.

I think your assuming that DVC will re-sell these resorts back to the Public. I'm not sure of that.

Everything at this point is assuming the rules stay as they are today and DVD continues to build and keep restrcitons.

If they don’t bring back those resorts, then will make it even worse for the resale buyers who want near park stays.

When the 2042 rooms and points go, those resale points left will sonly have BLT, CCV, VGF, and PVB near the parks at WDW…you will still have all of those owners, plus the AKV, SSR, OKW, and AUL points eligible, plus all the new resort points. I am leaving out VGC because most of those points don’t get used at WDW.

Yes, VB and HH come out, but so do the rooms and there are certainly owners who trade to those who won’t have them as a choice any longer

I don’t think that resale owners will have trouble using points…but, if the Epcot area is no longer a choice, then you may have more owners at the 4 resorts mentioned above staying out.

I am pretty sure that there are more SSR, AKV, and OKW points trading out of those home resorts than in…we know that because many buy them as SAP….meaning, more owners may find staying at the home resort will be more likely than it is now.

As someone with no horse in the race and an almost zero likelihood of purchasing Riviera or VDH, I really don't see how any of this discussion over the past 3 pages or so has derailed the conversation in the least. The title of the thread is "Riviera Points Can Only Be Used At Riviera", and the whys and why-nots, the historical background, the comparisons to other resorts, and the speculation about what lies ahead lie at the very heart of the thread's title. As does any emotional debate regarding how members feel about the restrictions, their opinions of them, and how they might motivate future purchasers positively or negatively.

It's all dead on topic in my mind, and provides insight, for me at least, should I decide that I DO want to purchase at a future resort with restrictions.

As someone with no horse in the race and an almost zero likelihood of purchasing Riviera or VDH, I really don't see how any of this discussion over the past 3 pages or so has derailed the conversation in the least. The title of the thread is "Riviera Points Can Only Be Used At Riviera", and the whys and why-nots, the historical background, the comparisons to other resorts, and the speculation about what lies ahead lie at the very heart of the thread's title. As does any emotional debate regarding how members feel about the restrictions, their opinions of them, and how they might motivate future purchasers positively or negatively.

It's all dead on topic in my mind, and provides insight, for me at least, should I decide that I DO want to purchase at a future resort with restrictions.
The other nice thing about hashing this all out now is when the poly tower opens we can all just cut and paste our positions into the thread and not waste a lot of time typing

The other nice thing about hashing this all out now is when the poly tower opens we can all just cut and paste our positions into the thread and not waste a lot of time typing
I mean, about 95% of it has been batted about before, and it's a bit repetitive, but threads like this tend to disappear after a flurry of activity, and it's the type of debate that you either don't think of searching for, or would never find using a search anyway, so seeing the discussion come back around every few months for new members to read and learn from isn't the worst thing.

Last edited:
I Wouldn't buy Riviera resale unless I already owned direct points there. As much as I love Riviera, I like being able to have the option to stay at other resorts with my points. I also believe that Riviera resale can be a very good value if you're able to make it work.

I Wouldn't buy Riviera resale unless I already owned direct points there. As much as I love Riviera, I like being able to have the option to stay at other resorts with my points. I also believe that Riviera resale can be a very good value if you're able to make it work.
It must be raining someone and people have nothing better to do….

Riviera is a beautiful resort….

The premise “buy where you want to stay” comes into play here….

There is no guarantee to transfer to different resorts. Everything is first come first serve…

That having been said, I have started to open up the the idea of resale points to be used at one resort for one of my trips every year.

If the resale price of Riviera tanks, like all the madame Leotas on here Predict

Then it might be worth it for me to “invest” in my family and buy…buy … buy

Man buy the name of buffet once said “you buy into a falling market”….

Either way owners direct or resale knew what they were getting into or should have known…

I think what we are going to see is this all comes out in the wash…

Last edited:
I can understand someone who really likes Riviera, and wants to basically stay there every trip buying resale there, and the same with the Disneyland Tower, I think those tower resale points will certainly hold their value, as there aren't a lot of other choices convenient to California, except Aulani. It seems most Californians prefer DL over WDW, for any number of reasons, including convenience.

That said, I do like having the ability to stay elsewhere, at least in theory. In practice, I like my OKW, and in the 30+ years of being a member, have only ventured to other DVC Resorts twice, once to Kidani, and once to Poly, though I do want to stay at BLT and Aulani sometime, and assuming the DL tower has better availability than Grand Cali, I would likely want to stay there sometime, having grown up in the area. So many memories of my Mom, and my granparents enjoying the park.

Last edited:
I can understand someone who really likes Riviera, and wants to basically stay there every trip buying resale there, and the same with the Disneyland Tower, I think those tower resale points will certainly hold their value, as there aren't a lot of other choices convenient to California, except Aulani. It seems most Californians prefer DL over WDW, for any number of reasons, including convenience.

That said, I do like having the ability to stay elsewhere, at least in theory. In practice, I like my OKW, and in th e30+ years of being a member,, have only ventured to other DVC Resortsw twice, once to Kidani, and once to Poly, though I do want to stay at BLT and Aulani sometime, and assumming the DL tower has better availability than Grand Cali, I would likely want to stay there sometime, having grown up in the area. So many memories of my Mom, and my granparents enjoying the park.

I agree, but with direct points at SSR, BLT, RIV, and my wifes poly points..... We have options....

I think other mods have pointed out that they bought Riviera direct and resale have points at multiple location also. So I can only presume, others are in the same boat.

For those that just own resale points at restricted resorts I would be very surprised if someone doesn't invent a swap...
Maybe it becomes part of the RTB here.

Were ownes of one of the restricted points finds an owner another resort and instead of booking at 7 months they both get the other resort at 11....

Long story long there are ways to make this work .....

For those that just own resale points at restricted resorts I would be very surprised if someone doesn't invent a swap...
Maybe it becomes part of the RTB here.

We used to allow swap posts, but I don't remember a single one ever working out, and the time it takes to process each thread, was a reason they were discontinued. Plus that option is, in a way, available. If you have restricted resale points, you can always ask for somone renting unrestricted points for a reservation and offer to pay with a similar reservation at the restricted resort in a regular Points for Rent thread. Basically such a transaction is a two way rental anyway, since we're only allowed one transfer per membership.

Last edited:
We used to allow swap posts, but I don;t remember a single one ever working out, and the time it takes to process each thead, was a reason they were discontinued. Plus that option is, in a way, available. If you have restricted resale points, you can always ask for somone renting unrestricted p[oints for a reservation and offer to pay with a similar reservatio at the restricted resort in a regular Points for Rent thread. Basically such a transaction is a two way rental anyway, since were only allowed one transfer per membership.
I see a cottage industry in the future....
Or a division of one of the rental companies ....

Resale points from the OG 14 can only be used there
...unless they were purchased before the restrictions were put in place. My resale points purchased in 2007 have no restrictions. My recent add on at BC does have that restriction. Off topic though, I think the O14 are the best resorts, with the most valuable points charts, so I've never bothered with the new resorts. JMO

What I find interesting is that brokers put disclaimers under the RIV resale listings.

Members who purchase a resale contract at Riviera Resort will only be able to stay at their Home Resort

Shouldn’t they also put a disclaimer under every other listing.

Members who purchase a resale contract at X Resort will not be able to stay at RIV, VDH, or any other new DVC resort.

What I find interesting is that brokers put disclaimers under the RIV resale listings.

Members who purchase a resale contract at Riviera Resort will only be able to stay at their Home Resort

Shouldn’t they also put a disclaimer under every other listing.

Members who purchase a resale contract at X Resort will not be able to stay at RIV, VDH, or any other new DVC resort.
Probably neither disclaimer is actually necessary, as I'm sure it would be explained to anyone once they inquire about purchasing points, and they would likely need to sign a written disclaimer at the time of purchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter