Emergency cancelation

Wdwvacationdad

Earning My Ears
Hi-
I'd love to know what people would do in the following situation....
I have a 6 yo DD who was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia last night. They're expecting her to go home on Wednesday. Unfortunately, the doctor has told us to cancel our plans for our week long Disney stay starting on Sunday. I called Disney, and they may be able to find other dates for us at the end of October, but we'd lose all our (free) dining, Haloween party tickets, and FP (obviously).

We're kicking around 3 options:
1- Switch to end of October, see if we can switch our Halloween tickets, and possible applied reservation discounts. Be ok with not have CRT reservation.
2- Switch to first of May for DD's b-day, but lose discounts and special event ticket. And pay more due to lack of free dining.
3- Get a second opinion and see if the doctor would feel ok with my DD being in a stroller and doing half days for the first half of the week-- aka: take it easy.

Any thoughts?

Oh no I am so sorry. What horrible timing. I am so afraid my kids will get super sick before our trip in December. I dont know what I'd do. My kids usually get better pretty quickly especially on meds but her being in hospital it must be serious. I would hate though if I changed all the plans and then say Sunday she was feeling better and everything was fine! I think I'd prob opt though for the earlier switch in dates because you've waited so long to go and then you'd have to wait so much longer again to go in May but again you wont be able to do CRT like you wanted. Or maybe you'll get lucky and get a cancellation if you keep checking. Sorry I am not much help. That is a tough one. You could though def get another opinion from another doc!!!

I would not do #3.

I would talk to someone at Disney to see what you will be able to get refunded. I think that they may be able to be flexible and allow you to keep your discounts, etc. FPs and ADRs might be harder to do though. Based on what they say, you should decide when you'd like to reschedule.

Good luck!

Tough call! So sorry to hear about your DD. Hope she has a speedy recovery :goodvibes

Considering she was admitted to the hospital, it must be a serious case. In 2011, I actually came home from WDW with pneumonia. I got some antibiotics and was back to work in about 4 days. My mom just recently recovered from pneumonia, but she was out of work for a full week and worked half days the week she went back. It hit her harder than it did me. I know older folks and kids usually feel it more.

If it were me, I would wait until later this week to decide based on how she's progressing. Whether you cancel/re-schedule today or later this week, the penalty and things you'd lose would be the same. So push back any decisions until as late as you possibly can.

The problem with her going as planned is that you'll all be worried about her. She may not be able to enjoy it as much, and if you take it easy, you'll frankly be missing a lot. Sounds like a lot of money to spend for that. Pushing til end of October means you'll have a tough go of making any ADRs and FP+ reservations now. Plus October sees higher crowds than next week would. May is a viable option and probably would be my choice if DD was still borderline near the end of the week.

Hope everything works out!

And remember, WRT #3, she might be more susceptible to picking up something else while you're there. I'd reschedule. I personally love Halloween, so I think I'd try for that first, but if I couldn't get party tix, I'd prob punt to May. We went Mothers Day one year, crowds were low and the weather was fabulous. Wishing her a speedy recovery!!!

Sorry to hear this, but, sending pixie dust for your daughter's speedy recovery. Hope it all gets sorted out for you

If you paid by credit card, call the credit card company and see if they have trip cancellation/interruption benefits. I was just looking at my chase benefit guide that came in the mail and I am actually covered for these things. You might be too. I would definitely not do 3. Would you really want to be in the hospital in orlando if she gets sick again. Don't let free dining make or break the deal for future visiting.

Another option to save money is to rent a condo. You can then have a kitchen to eat many meals before you go to park and even bring sandwiches to the park to save even more money.

Hope she is feeling better.

Postpone the trip. It has been raining daily and it would not be good for her to be out in this weather.

I'd first ask the doctor why. I am far from a medical expert, but my DDs had pneumonia and were hospitalized, got out of the hospital and were good to go. Granted it was just a return to daycare and not a trip to WDW, but I would think three days in the hospital and three days at home would be enough recovery.

As far as switching goes. I'm going the end of October and my parents decided to tag along and I'm having a rough time getting them matching dining times at some places. I had success with Tony's, Teppen Edo and Narcoose (sp?) but no luck with H&V, CM, Askersus and CRT so far. Matching FP+ hasn't been a problem at all outside of A&E and SDMT. You could still pull off a pretty good WDW vacation if the character dining wasn't a dealbreaker.

Either way, best of luck to you and hoping for a quick recovery for your DD.

Hello there. I am so sorry to hear about your dd being ill. That is a toughie, especially so close to vacation.

If it were me, I really don't know what decision I would make. Hard to tell without actually being with your daughter and seeing how her recovery is going.

I just wanted to point out however, that any doctor you speak to will probably tell you to cancel. They need to say that in order to cover their butts, to keep from getting sued. We got told to cancel our trip by a doctor once because our son had an ear ache :confused3

Good luck to you, I hope you are able to salvage your vacation, and have a wonderful time!

Take care!

Hello there. I am so sorry to hear about your dd being ill. That is a toughie, especially so close to vacation.

If it were me, I really don't know what decision I would make. Hard to tell without actually being with your daughter and seeing how her recovery is going.

I just wanted to point out however, that any doctor you speak to will probably tell you to cancel. They need to say that in order to cover their butts, to keep from getting sued. We got told to cancel our trip by a doctor once because our son had an ear ache :confused3

Good luck to you, I hope you are able to salvage your vacation, and have a wonderful time!

Take care!

I agree about the butt covering and the previous poster stating three days in hospital and three days at home is enough. I am not a medical expert either but why is she being released if she is not well enough? I'd seek another opinion but that's just me. What explanation by the doctor was given on why you should cancel??:confused3

I have been in your shoes. I know the SEVERE disappointment! My daughter had a horrible trampoline accident a week before our Disney trip 3 years ago. 3 days in the hospital and surgery and we were obviously not going to Disney as planned. Disney was wonderful and we were able to rebook our trip for a few months later. I think we ended up with free dining for both the original booking and the rescheduled dates. It seems devastating at the time but your trip will be so much more enjoyable if you aren't worried the whole time about your daughter getting sick again.

Maybe you will be able to find a time to go that also offers free dining. Also I don't know if Disney might be able to trade your tickets for some to the Christmas party??? Your top priority has to be getting your daughter well. Disney will still be there when she is well.

Good luck!

Hi-
I'd love to know what people would do in the following situation....
I have a 6 yo DD who was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia last night. They're expecting her to go home on Wednesday. Unfortunately, the doctor has told us to cancel our plans for our week long Disney stay starting on Sunday. I called Disney, and they may be able to find other dates for us at the end of October, but we'd lose all our (free) dining, Haloween party tickets, and FP (obviously).

We're kicking around 3 options:
1- Switch to end of October, see if we can switch our Halloween tickets, and possible applied reservation discounts. Be ok with not have CRT reservation.
2- Switch to first of May for DD's b-day, but lose discounts and special event ticket. And pay more due to lack of free dining.
3- Get a second opinion and see if the doctor would feel ok with my DD being in a stroller and doing half days for the first half of the week-- aka: take it easy.

Any thoughts?

Did you speak to Guest Services? You should be allowed to move your trip to another date within the expired FD promotion (ex; Oct 26-etc.). I have done this before. They should also be able to swap out the tickets. Again, this is all subject to availability.

Personally, I would attempt option #1 for the chance to recoup my FD discount, MNSSHP, and most importantly, DD's health. A Disney trip is exhausting and she will be need rest.

Good luck! :)

If she was so sick as to be diagnosed with pneumonia, that means she has been dealing with either a bacterial or viral infection, and her body couldn't deal with it and ended up creating fluid in the lungs (the actual meaning of "pneumonia"). That means it was a pretty big deal for her.

If it was bacterial and she's getting antibiotics, or viral and they are just supporting her body in getting rid of it, her immune system is going to be on the lower side. To actually get pneumonia means you were already really sick and your body couldn't handle it.

I wouldn't take her, that soon, to the soup of humanity at Disney. Not even in a stroller.

And I would call back to beg about the party tickets being refunded.

I AM a "medical expert", and I say don't consider #3. Being well enough to be discharged from the hospital and well enough to go to wonderful, magical, EXHAUSTING WDW - even with half days, strollers, etc. - are two very different things. Try to postpone your trip; and if not, it's only money. I had to cancel a very expensive trip earlier this year due to a family emergency with no refund or option for rebooking later - but it was the right thing to do and I do not regret it. I'm so sorry for your family but this is temporary. :umbrella:

Don't do #3. Disney is a Petri dish of germs, and your DD's immune system is going to be compromised. It would be very easy for her to pick up something else.

I am a pediatric nurse and would follow the doctors advice. No reservation or FP or free dining is worth the risk of your child getting any worse. Pneumonia is rough on your body. Even half days in the heat of Florida wouldnt be a great environment for recovery. Rest rest rest is what you need to recover. i would call and try to get the end of October and if not wait to go until May. As much as I love WDW, it is full of germs-flu season is starting. A doctor is not trying to cover his butt. The doctor is trying to be cautious and gives advice based on your childs condition. That is my advice. Besides that, I sincerely hope she starts feeling better!

Sooo sorry!!! I would also not try #3, just because you are going to be so nervous the whole time. It's got to be devastating right now, but once you get the new plans firmed up I really think you'll breathe a sigh of relief and realize it's the right choice. Call Disney again and see what they can do, try for Oct/early Nov, like a PP said, BEG for a change in party tickets or refund, and haunt the cancellations thread on the dining reservations board and you can get a lot of what you are looking for. I have seen CRT cancellation threads numerous times in the process of stalking the BOG I'm looking for.

I would be so upset, I really can imagine how you are feeling. But if you get down there and DD feels awful and it's hot and miserable, you are going to feel so bad. It's tempting, but I am almost sure you can still salvage most of it for a month-6 weeks from now. :hug:

Please do not consider #3. My Dh was diagnosed with pneumonia this Spring, and the Dr was pretty clear about who could even come into the house for easter. He said that DH immune system had taken a beating, and if he came into contact with kids (specified kids, because my little Princesses always are using him as a jungle gym) who were carrying something, it could kill him. Please try to reschedule because WDW is a filled with every germ possible.

I would call Disney again and ask about moving your FD to Oct. Ask to talk to Guest Services. It seems that you can get differant answers from different CMs at Disney. Also as Bumbershoot mentioned they will refund the party tickets on a case by case basis. DD had thought about buying some from a family that had been forced to cancel but they were able to get a refund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter