Eerrrrrrkkkkkk!!!!!!

Keep checking! I booked my trip at the end of July and didn't begin making ADRs until then. I check the online system probably 10X a day :-)blush:) and have had success in getting all of the ADRs I wanted, including Le Cellier, 'Ohana and 1900 Park Fare. You never know when something you want suddenly opens up!

Good luck to you, and have a great trip! pixiedust:

We usually stay at Shades of Green so are not included in the 180+10 so that means I get up and get online every day at 6 am to make ADR's. Not a big deal for me and I had no problems getting what I wanted for our next trip ~ maybe not at the exact time but close enough. We are a family of adults so the time isn't a big factor any more.

My DS lives in Orlando and every once in awhile he'll call me on the way home from work to see if I'm on the computer and ask me to see what WDW restaurants have openings and I'm always surprised to see how many restaurants are available last minute. I know he's also just walked up and gotten tables ~ usually for 1 or 2.

I would keep trying. You really never know what will pop up.

Have a great vacation!!!!

That's easy for a DVCer and most of us DISers to say, because for us there's always a next trip. For first timers and once-in-a-lifetimers, it tends to be a bigger deal, and they're the ones who really lose out under the 180 rule because they for the most part have no idea that they need to be making their reservations months in advance.

Our first trip was in 2005 when the window was 90 days, and since we booked in April I did know to call that far out. I had no IDEA that you have to call in the first couple hours of the day, though - I called during my daughter's nap so she wouldn't be interrupting, and couldn't get Chef Mickey, CRT, or Akershus for any day/time at all over the 5 days we were there. That was very stressful because at the time we were fairly sure that would be our only family Disney trip (thankfully, our financial situation has improved greatly since then and we can go more often - back then it took a combination of a small inheritance and free dining for us to manage). And that's what I see now when I help friends/family plan trips - they don't know they have to have everything set in September if they want to have dinner with Mickey in March, and they end up disappointed and frustrated by the lack of availability when they do start planning 3 or 4 or 5 months out.

Well said.

Let's face it. For the most part, we are a selfish society. Majority of people are going to think about this from one point of view and one point of view only - what benefits themselves the most. There is no debating that a 45-day window for ADRs would be the fairest system for everyone universally. And while it certainly doesn't "punish" DVCers and DISers and other uber planners, it certainly wouldn't work as well for them as the 180-day window does (and as a DISer, and therefore somewhat "in-the-know" I would include myself in that group). But at the end of the day, unfortunately, that is all most people are going to care about - what works best for themselves only.

I know that dining reservations can be frustrating. We just planned our vacation 3 months ago and we are going in a couple of days. That said I was able to get:

Askershus breakfast
Les Chefs
Via Napoli
Garden Grill
Tusker House Breakfast @ 8:05
Chef Mickeys
Sci-Fi
Wolfgang Puck
Ohana for breakfast and dinner

If you just check everyday, you will be able to get what you want. With the exception of Le Cellier. I have never seen that one come up. The best time for me was around 2:30 EST to find reservations.

Well said.

Let's face it. For the most part, we are a selfish society. Majority of people are going to think about this from one point of view and one point of view only - what benefits themselves the most. There is no debating that a 45-day window for ADRs would be the fairest system for everyone universally. And while it certainly doesn't "punish" DVCers and DISers and other uber planners, it certainly wouldn't work as well for them as the 180-day window does (and as a DISer, and therefore somewhat "in-the-know" I would include myself in that group). But at the end of the day, unfortunately, that is all most people are going to care about - what works best for themselves only.

Ok what I don't understand is why is 45 days more fair, either way you are going to have those that plan ahead and call at 180 day and those that forget. It will be the same at 45 days.

And while I can appreciate that OP's frustration, however those meals are being enjoyed by someone, that deserves them as much as anyone else.

As to DISers being in the know, that is the case with all vacation destinations. I have never been to Greece and I am sure if I went I would miss out on some fabulous places to eat because I did not know about them or did not book soon enough.

My opinion is that the reservation system SUCKS, and it should be moderated in some way...to be fair to all.

Booking a reservation for 2 is more difficult than a party of 4 and tables of 7 or more.. are always hard. More people are using TS because of free dining and there are plenty who are able to make ressies. Otherwise, there would be availability. It's not perfect, but I don't think it's unfair.

I usually take the time to get them 180 days in advanced, but this time it was not the case. I have been somewhat sucessful, but also have found that THERE IS NOTHING available.. and i dont mean, late or early times, no lunches, no breakfasts and no dinners at any locations

Don't give up. I have recently booked ressies at CRT for this month and for Le Cellier Christmas week. I book my "must dos" at 180, but CRT slipped throught the cracks. I don't care for Le Cellier, but DD wanted the reservaton.

Here's some pixiedust: Good luck!!

The online system also makes it very easy to double book dining reservations.

I don't think, that many double book. Surely, most folks are more considerate than that.

Actually the online systems reminds you if you have two ADRs at the same time or even near the same time. I think that is a great feature.

Ok what I don't understand is why is 45 days more fair, either way you are going to have those that plan ahead and call at 180 day and those that forget. It will be the same at 45 days.

And while I can appreciate that OP's frustration, however those meals are being enjoyed by someone, that deserves them as much as anyone else.

As to DISers being in the know, that is the case with all vacation destinations. I have never been to Greece and I am sure if I went I would miss out on some fabulous places to eat because I did not know about them or did not book soon enough.

It is the most fair because it eliminates (or at the least, greatly diminishes) many of the abuses of the system that take place at 180 days. One being the person who books a ton of ADRs at the the 180 day mark even though they have no resort reservations and it may only be a 25% chance that they actually go on the trip. And then when they decide they're not going, maybe they cancel the ADRs, maybe they don't. At least at 45 days, you know if you're going or not since payment is due. And don't bring up people who stay offsite and how the 45 day mark means nothing to them. Disney should design their system around who is staying with them. Another abuse, obviously, is the multiple bookers (and those of you who think not that many people do this...I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you). With the increased number of people online/on the phone making ADRs if it opened up at 45 days, instead of booking two or three restaurants for the same night, you'd be wiser to just make one and move on to the next night. Plus, everyone's park days would be pretty much decided upon - you can't tell me anyone's park days are set in stone 180 days out. This results in less unused ADRs.

And as for those meals being enjoyed by otheres who deserve them...in many cases they are not. Two weeks ago at the Princess breakfast in Akershus (what the OP is looking for), it was more than half-empty even though there wasn't an ADR to be had - which I know because I tries to amednd our time but there was nothing else available. I saw other restaurants with far too many empty tables, as they were also supposedly fully booked, particulaly Coral Reef and Chef Mickey's.

The system, as currently set up, encourages a lot of abuse of the system. It makes people feel the need to hoard ADRs - many of which go unused.

But at 45 days, you eliminate the people planning "maybe" trips in their heads. Since that's the final package payment mark and the no-fee cancellation deadline, that's the "reality check" moment where plans are either finalized or abandoned.

The reason people who plan way ahead don't want a shorter window is precisely because it is more fair - they don't want to compete with the extra people that book between the 180 and 90 (or 45) day mark, they want that to be an advantage for booking super early.

It is the most fair because it eliminates (or at the least, greatly diminishes) many of the abuses of the system that take place at 180 days.

Sadly, if someone wishes to abuse this system (or any for that matter) the days will not matter. Ppl will still abuse.

I think Free Dining and lack of planning (wanting something at the last minute) is the problem more than anything. Sometimes we do not plan or book meals, most of the time we do. These two will continue even if its 25 days out.

I do not see Disney shortening the booking time much, if any. Especially near packages like the Candlelight and other events. If they did you will have folks complaining that there is not enough supply for the demand sort of thing.

But at 45 days, you eliminate the people planning "maybe" trips in their heads. Since that's the final package payment mark and the no-fee cancellation deadline, that's the "reality check" moment where plans are either finalized or abandoned.

This only works for those exempt from DVC and paying in full prior to the 45 day mark. Not much of a reality check for those. DVC have points and ppl who pay off the trip have it booked in solid before the 45 day rush of those who do not.

. And don't bring up people who stay offsite and how the 45 day mark means nothing to them. Disney should design their system around who is staying with them.
Really? So the millions of Guests who, for whatever reason, stay offsite, and the hundreds of thousands of local and relatively local Guests - the ones who stay HOME and visit for the day or even JUST for a meal - shouldn't "matter" in relation to dining reservations according to you? Interesting.

Sadly, if someone wishes to abuse this system (or any for that matter) the days will not matter. Ppl will still abuse.

They will certainly try. but their ability to do so would be greatly diminished.

Really? So the millions of Guests who, for whatever reason, stay offsite, and the hundreds of thousands of local and relatively local Guests - the ones who stay HOME and visit for the day or even JUST for a meal - shouldn't "matter" in relation to dining reservations according to you? Interesting.

Not saying they don't matter and not saying they shouldn't be allowed to make ADRs or anything. Just that Disney should concentrate on their own resorts guests when designing the system.

I think Free Dining and lack of planning (wanting something at the last minute) is the problem more than anything. Sometimes we do not plan or book meals, most of the time we do. These two will continue even if its 25 days out.

Just because someone books their trip 120,90,60,45,30 or even 10 days out does not constitute a lack of planning. Everyone's situations are different. Maybe because of work/family/other obligations, they simply can not book very far ahead. Yes, the DDP (free or not) contributes, but is not the sole culprit. The DDP and the current sytem (with all its opportunites for abuse) compliement each other in helping to create this situation where ADRs are coveted even moreso than the underlying meals.

The fact that the people who staunchly defend the 180 day policy - and why? because they feel it gives them an advantage based on their particular situation in life...just proves that the system lacks "fairness".

Not saying they don't matter and not saying they shouldn't be allowed to make ADRs or anything. Just that Disney should concentrate on their own resorts guests when designing the system.

I am an onsite guest. Always and only stay onsite. But we have to accept that Disney has resort guests and park guests. Day guests, staying offsite, are still guests. Resort guests get certain perks, but the offsite folk pay just as much for their park entrance as we do.

I am an onsite guest. Always and only stay onsite. But we have to accept that Disney has resort guests and park guests. Day guests, staying offsite, are still guests. Resort guests get certain perks, but the offsite folk pay just as much for their park entrance as we do.

Again, I am not saying that those staying off-site, or locals should be shut out of the restaurants or anything like that. Just that when thinking about what makes the most sense with regards to how the system should be structured...using key dates based on people who are staying on-site makes the most sense.

Imagine the phone/internet back log if EVERYONE (since we are waiting for everyone to make the commitment first) called in at 45 days!

It is the most fair because it eliminates (or at the least, greatly diminishes) many of the abuses of the system that take place at 180 days. One being the person who books a ton of ADRs at the the 180 day mark even though they have no resort reservations and it may only be a 25% chance that they actually go on the trip. And then when they decide they're not going, maybe they cancel the ADRs, maybe they don't. At least at 45 days, you know if you're going or not since payment is due. And don't bring up people who stay offsite and how the 45 day mark means nothing to them. Disney should design their system around who is staying with them. Another abuse, obviously, is the multiple bookers (and those of you who think not that many people do this...I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you). With the increased number of people online/on the phone making ADRs if it opened up at 45 days, instead of booking two or three restaurants for the same night, you'd be wiser to just make one and move on to the next night. Plus, everyone's park days would be pretty much decided upon - you can't tell me anyone's park days are set in stone 180 days out. This results in less unused ADRs.

And as for those meals being enjoyed by otheres who deserve them...in many cases they are not. Two weeks ago at the Princess breakfast in Akershus (what the OP is looking for), it was more than half-empty even though there wasn't an ADR to be had - which I know because I tries to amednd our time but there was nothing else available. I saw other restaurants with far too many empty tables, as they were also supposedly fully booked, particulaly Coral Reef and Chef Mickey's.

The system, as currently set up, encourages a lot of abuse of the system. It makes people feel the need to hoard ADRs - many of which go unused.

payment is due only for those with a package. I truly do not think that many people abuse it and those that do will abuse it 45 days out also.

It restaurants are going empty then people should be trying for walk ups. No system is perfect but I really don't think there is alot of hoarding going on.

If you book with room only you can cancel 5 days before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter