Easter Week... Help!

momofboyz3

DIS Veteran
Admin: please feel free to move this thread if this is the wrong spot to post it.
:sunny: Hi All! So looks like the only time for us to go back to WDW is Easter (April 16-24 around). My 3 boys are teens & active in sports so I have to work around that. This is spring break for them.
Am I completely insane? We would RD MK and stay for Wishes. Take one day per park. Do a WP.
No Waiting for characters (will do one character meal). We have gone during Memorial Day but never anything as busy as Easter.
Would love some thoughts, advice & tips! :flower1: TIA

What times of year have you been to Disney in the past?

We went this past Easter, it was really busy but we had a great time. If you have a plan and just go in with the right expectations it would be fine imo. We did RD and walked on rides while the lines were not too long. Fast pass late morning and early afternoon after lunch. Took a break in the afternoon and headed back to the parks after dinner. It worked just fine for us, there wasn't anything we wanted to do that we didn't get to do. Yes other times of the year for sure would be better but as long as you know what to expect go for it.

We went this past Easter, it was really busy but we had a great time. If you have a plan and just go in with the right expectations it would be fine imo. We did RD and walked on rides while the lines were not too long. Fast pass late morning and early afternoon after lunch. Took a break in the afternoon and headed back to the parks after dinner. It worked just fine for us, there wasn't anything we wanted to do that we didn't get to do. Yes other times of the year for sure would be better but as long as you know what to expect go for it.
Ooooooooh This is fantastic! Thanks for responding ☺️

We've gone the past two Easter weeks.

In 2015 the MK had 7AM EMH every day. So we went from 7AM to 1PM.
In 2016 the MK didn't open until 8AM. So we went from 7PM to 12AM.

It is a busy time, but it's mostly busy from 1-6PM. As I mentioned in the "I refuse to wait 30 minutes for a ride" thread, EVERY line is 30 minutes between 10AM-10PM, especially during peak times like Easter Week. OK, not every line is 30 minutes: Stitch, Philharmagic, Country Bears, will be less than 30.

The point is: why spend your afternoon standing around in huge lines? In addition, my family doesn't believe in "show up early, then take 2 hours to go back to your resort and take a 2 hour nap and take 2 hours to get back to the park". That's 6 hours that's wasted. Instead we believe in the "get up early and then go to bed early or get up late and go to bed late". During 2015 with 7AM EMH we were in bed at 8PM each night so we could be up at 5AM. During 2016 when we stayed until 12 each night we didn't get up until 11AM the next day. When you're not at the park we do the pool.

So in 2015 we did: get up at 5AM, bus stop by 6:10, at MK by 6:40, leave MK by 1PM. Back to resort by 2PM, hit the pool 2:30-5PM; dinner 6-7PM, go to sleep
In 2016 we did: get up at 11AM, breakfast, pool 12-4, get dressed, 5:00 get "dinner/lunch" at EPCOT (we did a sit-down restaurant at 5:00PM each day); get to MK by 7PM, eat "dinner" (a quick service) at 9PM, leave at park close.

That limits the travel time and it also limits the line-waiting time.

Hi... Memorial Day week & the week before Christmas

Those are both busy weeks, but not peak weeks. That said, you are somewhat used to crowds.

As long as your group buys into the importance of rope drop, you can still have a good time.

I'm not sure if I'd stay in the parks all day. I would probably need a break just from the tight quarters with all the other guests. But if you go in with realistic expectations, you should be able to have some fun. It really is all about expectations on weeks like this.

Just don't count on early EMH every day like in years past. That didn't happen this year.

So in 2015 we did: get up at 5AM, bus stop by 6:10, at MK by 6:40, leave MK by 1PM. Back to resort by 2PM, hit the pool 2:30-5PM; dinner 6-7PM, go to sleep
In 2016 we did: get up at 11AM, breakfast, pool 12-4, get dressed, 5:00 get "dinner/lunch" at EPCOT (we did a sit-down restaurant at 5:00PM each day); get to MK by 7PM, eat "dinner" (a quick service) at 9PM, leave at park close.

I like this a lot! In curiosity, what's the family dynamic like? I'll have (when I get there) a 13-year-old and a 5-year-old and I have no idea how to try to work timing with such a spread between the two ages.

Check out my signature. I have been at various times of year and SPRING BREAK/EASTER WEEK is one of our faves!!!!! It is not HORRIBLY MISERABLY crowded. Sure it is crowded but if you arrive at Rope Drop and have game plan you will be just fine. We usually depart for home the day before Easter and one year we even left on Easter day so we were there during a busy time and loved every minute. My best advice is ROPE DROP. Works like a charm every time. NOW with teens you might want to try the opposite and go to MK for the late night hours.

Oh and I AM NOT a fan of doing the emh parks. I usually go to a NON EMH park. I think MK might be the only one we occasionally do when it is an evening one but ONLY if we are not doing a rope drop the next morning.

We went during Easter week last year. It was awesome early in the morning & later at night. At peak times from noon until right after dinner, there were times that there were so many people that you couldn't take a step forward.

Check out my signature. I have been at various times of year and SPRING BREAK/EASTER WEEK is one of our faves!!!!! It is not HORRIBLY MISERABLY crowded. Sure it is crowded but if you arrive at Rope Drop and have game plan you will be just fine. We usually depart for home the day before Easter and one year we even left on Easter day so we were there during a busy time and loved every minute. My best advice is ROPE DROP. Works like a charm every time. NOW with teens you might want to try the opposite and go to MK for the late night hours.

Not sure how it will be next year with Easter later in the season, but typically the week after Easter is busier, with the potential for parks (at least the MK) closing to capacity one or more days.

We've gone the past two Easter weeks.

In 2015 the MK had 7AM EMH every day. So we went from 7AM to 1PM.
In 2016 the MK didn't open until 8AM. So we went from 7PM to 12AM.

It is a busy time, but it's mostly busy from 1-6PM. As I mentioned in the "I refuse to wait 30 minutes for a ride" thread, EVERY line is 30 minutes between 10AM-10PM, especially during peak times like Easter Week. OK, not every line is 30 minutes: Stitch, Philharmagic, Country Bears, will be less than 30.

The point is: why spend your afternoon standing around in huge lines? In addition, my family doesn't believe in "show up early, then take 2 hours to go back to your resort and take a 2 hour nap and take 2 hours to get back to the park". That's 6 hours that's wasted. Instead we believe in the "get up early and then go to bed early or get up late and go to bed late". During 2015 with 7AM EMH we were in bed at 8PM each night so we could be up at 5AM. During 2016 when we stayed until 12 each night we didn't get up until 11AM the next day. When you're not at the park we do the pool.

:flower:This is great advice! Thank you for sharing this. I'm not a fan of the mid-day break aside from a long ADR lunch, but MK is the only park we would do a long 10 hour or so day in. I love a pool day or a WP day as well. Thanks again

WE LOVE Disney this time of year! Its our annual trek to the world and the weather is gorgeous and the crowds not anything insane like I hear. its all perspective I guess. We travel as family of 4 2 now teens, one off to college in fall. But we havent missed a spring trip since 1997!

Oh and I AM NOT a fan of doing the emh parks. I usually go to a NON EMH park. I think MK might be the only one we occasionally do when it is an evening one but ONLY if we are not doing a rope drop the next morning.
YUP! That's exactly how I've done it in the past - MK has been the only EMH we took advantage of.
Thank you for your reply!!!

same here NEVER a EMH day we do the opposite! counting down to april 17th now! yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

My husband, two teen girls and I went this past Easter also. We had an amazing trip! If you have a plan and the right attitude, it is more than doable. We were constantly amazed at what we were able to accomplish while enjoying just being there. Take advantage of your teens' stamina and speed. In was no problem for us to navigate the crowds even at mid day.

We had two full park days, HS on Easter and MK on Monday (we spent time in Clearwater also). Our plan was arrive as early as possible, bang out a bunch of attractions early, then use FP for our faves starting mid-late morning. We had lunch in the parks (HS was QS, MK was ADR at Plaza) then hit the shows or low wait attractions. We were busy until dinner and not rushed or annoyed at all. The longest we waited, and I am not exaggerating, was 30 min. We even met all the Star Wars characters plus 3 more.

Because we had only two park days, we had decided they would be marathon days. I realize this is not for everyone! But we were laughing and enjoying ourselves up until the 12th hour of being in the parks. Feet hurt tho! My kids said they would definitely do it again. My advice: look at the maps and plan your day, get there early, FP from mid morning to early afternoon, take in the less popular stuff when it's crowded. Most of all, relax, laugh, enjoy every second :)

My husband, two teen girls and I went this past Easter also. We had an amazing trip! If you have a plan and the right attitude, it is more than doable. We were constantly amazed at what we were able to accomplish while enjoying just being there. Take advantage of your teens' stamina and speed. In was no problem for us to navigate the crowds even at mid day.

We had two full park days, HS on Easter and MK on Monday (we spent time in Clearwater also). Our plan was arrive as early as possible, bang out a bunch of attractions early, then use FP for our faves starting mid-late morning. We had lunch in the parks (HS was QS, MK was ADR at Plaza) then hit the shows or low wait attractions. We were busy until dinner and not rushed or annoyed at all. The longest we waited, and I am not exaggerating, was 30 min. We even met all the Star Wars characters plus 3 more.

Because we had only two park days, we had decided they would be marathon days. I realize this is not for everyone! But we were laughing and enjoying ourselves up until the 12th hour of being in the parks. Feet hurt tho! My kids said they would definitely do it again. My advice: look at the maps and plan your day, get there early, FP from mid morning to early afternoon, take in the less popular stuff when it's crowded. Most of all, relax, laugh, enjoy every second :)
:love: Love This!!!!! In fact I think that it's a GREAT idea. Thanks for the response and I will plan the shows towards the later part of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter