DVC Response About Ebay Commercial Sellers

minnie61650 said:
I for one do not care that much about the point "morphing." I care about the fact that commercial renters are booking many rooms to rent for profit.

That means there will be less rooms for DVC members to book.

I don't think you can talk about one without the other coming in to play.

The comecial renters are, many times, using the morphed points to take advantage of the 11 month booking window for prime reservations. To take the morphing option away will make a huge dent in availibility, in my opinion.

TCPluto said:
I don't think you can talk about one without the other coming in to play.

The comecial renters are, many times, using the morphed points to take advantage of the 11 month booking window for prime reservations. To take the morphing option away will make a huge dent in availibility, in my opinion.

Cool. :cool1:
I hope so.

minnie61650 said:
You see this where you misread my thoughts.
You thought because I said he /she "disappeared" that I was labeling him/her a liar. I never said that. The fact that he/she "disappeared" makes him/her all the more credible in my eyes.

It has been my experience that when someone lies they will stick around to read the replies and gloat. I simply stated I was troubled because Dumbo71 did not come back to the boards.

If you remember I was also troubled that Jay Foster has not returned to the boards.

Well...I guess I totally mis-interpreted your posts then....I apologize for that...sincerely!!!

This whole business of everyone questioning everyone's "truthfulness" is just getting to me a bit. I know that I have posted info sometimes that I KNOW to be true, only to have people on this board rip it apart, and accuse me of being a "commercial renter", among many other things. I just think this "turning" on each other needs to stop...especially turning on "new" people. These boards have just been SOOO mean, lately. Some of the "targets" really have earned some of the animosity, but honestly...most have not.

If someone doesn't like me...well, I have 3000 posts....at one time or another (or possibly MANY times), I have probably offended them. So, if someone wants to "go after" me...that's fine...I'm tough, and I probably deserve it. But, gee....I REALLY feel sorry for some of these new posters!!! I guess my maternal instict just kicked in a little too strongly.

Sammie....no offense, I'm sure when you wrote dumbo 71 you were totally sincere in asking for further information. However, as someone with strong opinions, you can be intimidating, even when you truly don't mean to be. And, if dumbo 71 had "written off" the disboards by that time, why would he respond? I don't mean to criticize you for this...I am another person with STRONG opinions....I'm sure I intimidate others as well, even when I do not mean to.

Okay....I will try to play nicer next time!!!

:love2:

Beca

Beca said:
Well...I guess I totally mis-interpreted your posts then....I apologize for that...sincerely!!!

This whole business of everyone questioning everyone's "truthfulness" is just getting to me a bit. I know that I have posted info sometimes that I KNOW to be true, only to have people on this board rip it apart, and accuse me of being a "commercial renter", among many other things. I just think this "turning" on each other needs to stop...especially turning on "new" people. These boards have just been SOOO mean, lately. Some of the "targets" really have earned some of the animosity, but honestly...most have not.

Okay....I will try to play nicer next time!!!

:love2:

Beca

Thanks Beca, :)

I usually post on the resorts board and I guess questioning someone's "truthfulness" does not happen to me often. I just accept whatever they say as the truth. Or prehaps sometimes they may post incorrect info. I will just correct their error but I view it just as an error not intentional. There is not a lot to be gained by not being truthful on the resorts board. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I will admit that mushpurple is only the second person (that I know of) on these boards that has been caught being untruthful.

I do sometimes take some things with a grain salt because I understand when something is said second or third hand sometimes the facts become muddled even though the poster is being truthful to the best of their knowledge.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!

Disneyrsh said:
I had refrained from posting on this thread up until this point, and in fact, after having read several threads over the past few weeks, I had decided to leave this board. A friend was kind enough to give me a heads up about this post.

It has gotten so ugly here, with people saying the most horrible, ugly things to each other. I felt that there was no no longer any positive, good things to be had from the Disboards. When I saw people posting actual names of people who have broken no laws, it really sank in that the Disboards was not a place I needed to have any contact with.

I felt like saying "I have not now, nor have I ever been, a DVC renter." With apologies to those who actually had to live through the McCarthy era and had their reputations destroyed.

For the record, I have talked with DVC about my two yearly ebay auctions for christmas vacations at Disney, and they have absolutely no problem with them and in fact are amused by my 'unlimited assistance' clause in my auctions. They said 'you should charge more for that!'

My auctions were never, ever 'yanked' by Ebay.

The first auction this year sold, the second one did not sell on Ebay but I sold it to my neighbor. The reason I did not relist was that my points needed to bank by August 31 and I didn't want to risk having them not banked if the auction didn't sell again. My neighbor flagged me down and asked me about all my disney stickers all over the car, and the rest is history.

I am an owner at vwl with 350 points. That's it.

I was not 'outed' by Rinkwide, I was arguing with him on a different thread about DVC rentals and it carried over to the second thread. I went back and edited my posts because I realized I had been contributing to the vitriol and vituperative nature of those threads, and that was wrong of me.

I am a happy, joyous person in real life, and I found that I was arguing with witless idiots (not you, rinkwide, you make me mad but you're very clever) about stupid, pointless subjects. I only have one life, and I was wasting it here.

Goodbye. :sad:

I am very sorry you are leaving. I have enjoyed reading your posts this last year.

I am very happy to hear that ebay did not cancel your ad.

Please accept my apologies if I have caused you any pain. I was sooo afraid
that you were one of the little fishes who mistakenly got caught in the net.

I am so happy that you posted because I was worried about you.

I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me and I hope you will return to these boards someday soon.

Peace :hippie:

Why be sorry this is how it starts a CM at MS says well that sounds real neat you should charge more (if that was even said).

They are booking and renting over 1/2 their points for the sole purpose to advertise and sell for profit SOLD OUT WEEKS .I've seen the auctions and thats how it starts then they think well I can make so and so why not transfer some more points in and morph them and make some more money.

I'm sorry that people are leaving because someone asked if you are commercial renting and they had no true answer for them .Now blame in on McCarthy era all you want but the bottom line is YOUR RENTING FOR PROFIT and are COMMERCIAL RENTING.

I can go to WDW and get 10 different answers from 10 different CM's that doesn't make them all true or false just misinformed.

Disneyrsh said:
I felt like saying "I have not now, nor have I ever been, a DVC renter." With apologies to those who actually had to live through the McCarthy era and had their reputations destroyed.

For the record, I have talked with DVC about my two yearly ebay auctions for christmas vacations at Disney,
The first auction this year sold, the second one did not sell on Ebay but I sold it to my neighbor. The reason I did not relist was that my points needed to bank by August 31 and I didn't want to risk having them not banked if the auction didn't sell again. My neighbor flagged me down and asked me about all my disney stickers all over the car, and the rest is history.

I am an owner at vwl with 350 points. That's it.

I was not 'outed' by Rinkwide, I was arguing with him on a different thread about DVC rentals and it carried over to the second thread. I went back and edited my posts because I realized I had been contributing to the vitriol and vituperative nature of those threads, and that was wrong of me.

I am a happy, joyous person in real life, and I found that I was arguing with witless idiots (not you, rinkwide, you make me mad but you're very clever) about stupid, pointless subjects. I only have one life, and I was wasting it here.

Unfortunately - you say you are not a renter and then say you have two auctions on ebay - whether you rent 8 points or a reservation that is a rental. Yes you seem to be within the rules as outlined by Disney - what may be the bigger issue with many people is that you have reserved 2 rooms in a week that is very popular and have thus prevented some other DVC fami;ies from using their points for that room and week. You did not find a renter first and then try to get the ressie you just made the three ressies while planning to use only one for yourself. Some who did try to use their points at the 11 month window are currently on waitlists because of actions like this. You of course are legally within your rights to do this but don't be so shocked that people don't like it or agree with you. You are right to find something else to do with your time besides spending it here if you can't see that others are entitled to their opinions also.

Disneyrsh - I find it hard to believe that DVC actually encouraged you to charge more money for your point rentals since it's supposedly against the rules to have any money at all change hands. But regardless of whether Disney has endorsed your rental business, I seriously doubt with only 2 auctions per year that you're even a blip on Disney's radar screen.

As for leaving these boards, in case you haven't noticed there are quite a few DVC/DIS members who rent points. None of them have been driven from the DIS. As far as I can tell you've put yourself in the 'commercial renter' category. As a matter of fact, I found your auction on ebay a week ago. I checked your past listings, completed auctions and even went through your 100+ feedback comments and decided (in my mind) you weren't what I would consider a commercial renter. I did find 3 others whom I thought fit the bill and posted their *ebay screen names* and *public auctions* on this thread.

Frankly, I don't agree with your decision to make 2 separate reservations at Christmas and then sell them for a profit. Of course we all know you can do whatever you want with your points, but surely you must have known that you wouldn't be winning any popularity contests with other DVC members who may be waitlisted for those same Christmas weeks. You flaunt the reservations on the DIS and ebay and the resulting negativity surprises you?

Finally, I have no idea what your debate was about on the other threads, and since you've edited your posts down to a few smiley faces I guess we'll never know. I believe you were the first to use the 'McCarthy' reference and frankly I don't see the comparison.

As for these boards, I agree. I've wasted a few hours of my life on this thread and it simply can't be healthy to get worked up about things that are completely beyond my control. My only solace is at least I haven't posted nearly as many times as Linda. ;) ;) ;)

jennybobenny said:
Disneyrsh - I find it hard to believe that DVC actually encouraged you to charge more money for your point rentals since it's supposedly against the rules to have any money at all change hands. But regardless of whether Disney has endorsed your rental business, I seriously doubt with only 2 auctions per year that you're even a blip on Disney's radar screen.

As for leaving these boards, in case you haven't noticed there are quite a few DVC/DIS members who rent points. None of them have been driven from the DIS. As far as I can tell you've put yourself in the 'commercial renter' category. As a matter of fact, I found your auction on ebay a week ago. I checked your past listings, completed auctions and even went through your 100+ feedback comments and decided (in my mind) you weren't what I would consider a commercial renter. I did find 3 others whom I thought fit the bill and posted their *ebay screen names* and *public auctions* on this thread.

Frankly, I don't agree with your decision to make 2 separate reservations at Christmas and then sell them for a profit. Of course we all know you can do whatever you want with your points, but surely you must have known that you wouldn't be winning any popularity contests with other DVC members who may be waitlisted for those same Christmas weeks. You flaunt the reservations on the DIS and ebay and the resulting negativity surprises you?

Finally, I have no idea what your debate was about on the other threads, and since you've edited your posts down to a few smiley faces I guess we'll never know. I believe you were the first to use the 'McCarthy' reference and frankly I don't see the comparison.

As for these boards, I agree. I've wasted a few hours of my life on this thread and it simply can't be healthy to get worked up about things that are completely beyond my control. My only solace is at least I haven't posted nearly as many times as Linda. ;) ;) ;)

I agree with Jennybobenny and I think that you may not be a big fish in terms of commercial renting or whatever, but I found it disheartening that you wanted to maximize profit by booking at Christmas week therefore "possibly" taking away a family vacation from a DVC member.

Now with all that being said - I don't think anyone wants to drive anyone from the boards (unless they are untruthful and have alternative agenda's). And it is sad when folks, even with differing opinions and views, leave. I'm not sure if you have been frustrated, upset, etc. but I did find many of your recent posts to be extremely harsh and possibly offensive to alot of folks - again I don't know if its because you felt attacked, etc. Your last post, however, was very polite (yet opinionated - which is a plus still) but I didn't find that it would be offensive to most.

I hope that your family can continue to enjoy DVC and that you don't let these boards ever truly get to you. All in all - these boards are (for most) a small blimp on the screen of life. Obviously your family, etc. at it is the most important thing and enjoy them (especially while at disney!!!)

jennybobenny said:

Actually, I don't necessarily find this hard to believe...they encouraged me to put 5 in one bedroom (let's not go there in this thread folks...there is another thread for that), but I am just stating this b/c Disney has and does tell members that they can do things that are "against the rules."

I agree that with only one 350 point contract, you are not a commercial renter and you will not cause anyone to raise their eyebrows over at DVC. You can continue on as you have without hassle from DVC, I'm sure.

Clearly, the problem people here have is that you "take away" prime weeks from DVC members so that non-members can use them. I don't really think that the money is the issue...it is more of an availability thing. If you, instead, just posted points for rent on the rent/trade board (as opposed to a pre-booked week on eBay), I don't think anyone here would have even an ounce of problem with that.

I, for one, will miss you here on the DIS and hope that you do return. Your comments about home improvement always made me smile as I, too, am a woman with power tools! :)

Disneyrsh said:
It has gotten so ugly here, with people saying the most horrible, ugly things to each other. I felt that there was no no longer any positive, good things to be had from the Disboards. When I saw people posting actual names of people who have broken no laws, it really sank in that the Disboards was not a place I needed to have any contact with.
Well if I recall correctly, on one of those other "threads", you called someone (lumped a whole bunch of people into one group) stupid if they were not smart enough to book at the 11 month mark. Now who's being ugly? I havn't seen this outrageous, horrible, ugly thing that you speak of. It's just peoples opinions that you may not share or care about, why leave?

Disneyrsh said:
I felt like saying "I have not now, nor have I ever been, a DVC renter." With apologies to those who actually had to live through the McCarthy era and had their reputations destroyed..:
What total self-rightous BS. If the truth hurts what can I say... Nobody is forcing you away and nobody is saying don't stand up for yourself but you don't have call people stupid if they complain that you might have taken a reservation away from them for someone else unknown to you via E-Bay.

Disneyrsh said:
For the record, I have talked with DVC about my two yearly ebay auctions for christmas vacations at Disney

Well instead of all this indignation, why not reflect on what people are really saying. Renting a pre-booked prime-time reservation to a total stranger for maximum profit is possibly hurting other DVC owners. Maybe you should think about the issue and not your own situation and how this thread might affect "you". If you have no problems renting a reservation to maximize your profit then don't read this thread any further. No one is coming after you with a pitchfolk. So your advertised reseravation was discussed here, big deal. There are so many renters out there looking for a room, possibly one with your dates so what does it matter.

Look the bottom line is if you want to talk about commercial renting and renting a pre-booked reservation here's the place. Make your point if you have one and move on. There can be enjoyment in these conversations if you just don't take other people's opinions personnally. Maybe deep down inside the whole issue is bothering you and how you rent your extra points. So listen to that voice of reason and rent differently. Heck, I rent more points than you do :). I really hope you don't leave because there are a lot more friendly threads than controverisial threads on this board. I don't think anyone is advocating other DIS members to leave over this. Rent your points, enjoy your life, and just try to consider that others way have a different opinion than you and respect that....

Y-ASK

Disneyrsh said:
Snip....

:wave:

I believe that was post 2001 :confused3 :rolleyes1

PS I really appreciate the fact that we can quote people and that quote will never change, even if the OP goes back and edits. I think everyone should remember this when posting something argumentative or just plain not nice. More than likely you will be called on it, quoted on it and attacked for it.

Muushka said:
:wave:

PS I really appreciate the fact that we can quote people and that quote will never change, even if the OP goes back and edits. I think everyone should remember this when posting something argumentative or just plain not nice. More than likely you will be called on it, quoted on it and attacked for it.

That is so true. :thumbsup2

Disneyrsh said:

And here is the irony of life on the internet - I too have been reading and posting in a happier place, with only the occaisional visit to the DVC threads on the DISboards. For the most part, I chose to read happier places because I found the tone of certain posters harsh.

I don't know if I fall into the 'witless idiot' category as I didn't get involved in the discussion here recently, but I may well have been one in the past. I would also suggest that we could all be considered to be 'witless idiots' on some topic.

I think that the lesson here is that words can come across differently than intended by the poster. We make assumptions on personalities based on the posts we read. I know that I tend to post straight forward and factually based over on the Transportation board; the lack of warm and fuzzies may be perceived as cold by some readers. My posting style is very different on other threads (Disneyland Paris, for instance, if anyone is checking up on me)

So Disneyrsh, while you chose to leave, I too chose to look away for the same reasons. Ironic, isn't it?

A couple months ago, my boss confirmed that we were going to have a Christmas shutdown with pay, so I called DVC to book a ressie. Naturally, being so late in the process I was put on the waitlist. But to read some of the recent posts, it is very disheartening to read that there are members whose actions to make a profit are keeping Disney fans from enjoying their DVC membership. :furious:

I am not against making a profit, but not at the expense of others.

This is kind of funny - but I really don't care about commercial renters. I just don't understand the witch hunt. I don't understand why everyone is so angry. I believe what someone claimed disney legal to have said because it makes sense. Just as long as it is your own points you are renting it is fine. No matter how many points you have. DVC probably has a better handle on the situation when they can estimate based on how many points everyone has. And it doesn't bother me about them reserving for peak times. You and I have just as much a chance of booking as they do. They pick up the phone and call just like you and I. Sure I am disappointed when something is not available, but if one person with 20 reservations booked it, or 20 people with 1 reservation booked it, it doesn't matter to me. Its still not available. And truthfully, with the job situation the way it is now a days, I agree with the person that said that if the they needed to sell their DVC, they could still rent. I was able to rent a reservation for my daugher at a fantastic price compared to what Disney was charging. And I was able to purchase 13 points when I had 7 left and needed 20 to complete a reservation. Basically we know that it is difficult to get reservations at certain times. So we vacation at less popular times. DVC does say that it will change the way you vacation. And by the way, I own 210 pts. at OKW. I love OKW. We booked a spur of the moment trip last winter for the opening of EE, and the only thing available was SSR. We had a guaranteed HA reservation at OKW for a grand villa in May, and 3 days before we left, they said a mistake had been made and they moved us to...guess where? No matter. Yes, I would've much preferred OKW, but we had fun at SSR. What does it say when a HA grand villa facing downtown disney was available with 3 days notice? I don't know exactly the point I'm making about SSR, but to me it's all DVC, all magic, all fantastic.

rigsby25 said:
And by the way, I own 210 pts. at OKW. I love OKW. We booked a spur of the moment trip last winter for the opening of EE, and the only thing available was SSR. We had a guaranteed HA reservation at OKW for a grand villa in May, and 3 days before we left, they said a mistake had been made and they moved us to...guess where? No matter. Yes, I would've much preferred OKW, but we had fun at SSR. What does it say when a HA grand villa facing downtown disney was available with 3 days notice? I don't know exactly the point I'm making about SSR, but to me it's all DVC, all magic, all fantastic.

I remember reading your post on the disABILITIES board that you were a bit upset because you could not stay at OKW. I am glad you enjoyed your stay
at SSR and that Disney was able to find a GV for you on such short notice.

FWIW
Even guarantee's are not really guaranteed. taximomfor4 had guaranteed connecting rooms but learned they really were not guaranteed and she posted this explaination.

taximomfor4 said:
One of the threads that Linda posted a link to was my experience last March. I had many conversations with the higher-ups at Guest Services and was told that even if it says "guaranteed" it is not truly "guaranteed." It just has higher priority over the "requests." Because on a given day, there might only be 25 connecting room sets opening up, but 27 "guaranteed connecting rooms for families" ressies checking in. 2 of those families are not going to get their "guarantee."

I know, I was shocked that we had to fight so hard to get put in rooms that had just been fumigated for lice (they were taken out of the inventory, but re-opened because we insisted we needed rooms.) I sort of assumed that if they didn't have the rooms for us, they'd find rooms elsewhere on Disney property. For that stay, we were sometimes 2 adults and sometimes only 1. Now we will book offsite if we need to do that again. If there are 2 of us adults, we book connecting and hope for the best. Otherwise, we'll split the kids.

My point is to make backup plans if you are depending on connecting rooms.

Edited to add note
*Note Disney will find a HA room somewhere on Disney property if one is not available at the resort the HA room was booked.

bavaria said:
...while you chose to leave, I too chose to look away for the same reasons. Ironic, isn't it?
Thanks. I had her on my Ignore List because of her incessant name-calling and didn't know she was gone.

Your point is well-taken, we all have different perspectives. I saw an interesting quote today. It said that we should be cautious when attacking another's opinion, because we may both be wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter