DVC Refurbishment Tracker

How can you tell there's an inventory disruption? I want to keep my eye out for one at VGC.
The simplest way at VGC is probably to monitor the regular GV and wheelchair accessible room categories availability 11 months + 7 days out. Due to these categories only having 1 room each, if you see a room that is unavailable on a date that cannot be explained by booking (e.g., the room is available 11m + 5 days out, but not 11m + 6 days out), then the room has been taken offline. This would be a potential indication of a refurb.

I also check VGC every night, so I'll probably just post it here and in the VGC O&L thread within a day or two anyway. 😊

SSR Treehouses might also be undergoing refurbishment in the first half of 2024, or there might be other factors in play why the inventory is reduced, such as being taken from inventory for cash reservations. Without getting into specific numbers, I'm not confident the ongoing inventory disruption for the Treehouses is due to a refurb, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it is the refurb.
I just looked at SSR and I do agree there’s an oddly specific cap on the number of available treehouse rooms in 1H 2024.

1688351823039.jpeg

I'm reading The Hard Hat Report in the recent Disney Files, and the Vero Beach section says the following (emphasis mine):
Beginning this fall and scheduled to conclude early next year, an accommodations refresh will replace bedding and draperies, reupholster seating and add new, over-the-sofa wall beds to this Treasure Coast retreat.

Is that a peculiar way to describe a Murphy Bed or is that something else?

I'm reading The Hard Hat Report in the recent Disney Files, and the Vero Beach section says the following (emphasis mine):

It sounds like a Murphey bed since the new set-up pulls down from over the sofa, but maybe they came up with something new :confused3🤣

It sounds like a Murphey bed since the new set-up pulls down from over the sofa, but maybe they came up with something new :confused3🤣

Actually now that I think about it, the bed might be the sofa beds that flip over to a bed. Like the beds in the new VGF resort studio rooms.
1688492566051.png

Wall bed is Disney for Murphy bed, which is a registered trademark.
It's the "over-the-sofa" bit that's tripping me up, I guess. Makes me think of the upper-berth pull-down beds in some DCL staterooms that are literally over the sofa.

Why not just call it a pull-down wall bed? DVC calls it a "pull-down" or "pull down" in the descriptions of the rooms at VDH, RIV, VGF, and Poly (only 4 places I checked).

It's the "over-the-sofa" bit that's tripping me up, I guess. Makes me think of the upper-berth pull-down beds in some DCL staterooms that are literally over the sofa.

Why not just call it a pull-down wall bed? DVC calls it a "pull-down" or "pull down" in the descriptions of the rooms at VDH, RIV, VGF, and Poly (only 4 places I checked).
The sofa at VB is in front of a giant window, no? I would imagine what they’ll have to do will be a significant departure from what is at the resorts you named. I actually have no idea what they’ll do.

I also check VGC every night, so I'll probably just post it here and in the VGC O&L thread within a day or two anyway.
With VDH getting closer to completion and Pixar hotel conversion making progress I think we should see something in the planning/scheduling area soon. Guessing they likely use the same crews for the VGC refurbishment.

With VDH getting closer to completion and Pixar hotel conversion making progress I think we should see something in the planning/scheduling area soon. Guessing they likely use the same crews for the VGC refurbishment.
I was thinking the same thing, but I started watching VGC for inventory disruptions starting January 2024 and haven't seen anything.

I tend to watch 11m + 2d-7d, so it's possible I missed it if they backdated it and it slipped under my radar. Or maybe there won't ever be an inventory disruption and they just plan on relocating guests staying at VGC to somewhere else. Or maybe it'll be complete before January 2024 and I didn't start watching inventory early enough. Or maybe it's just not happening through 11m + 7d from now. I just don't know.

I just saw Hilton Head had zero availability in January ... you can usually get a 2 BR there in January easily at a couple of months out ... makes sense I guess, do refurb during least demand.

I was thinking the same thing, but I started watching VGC for inventory disruptions starting January 2024 and haven't seen anything.

I tend to watch 11m + 2d-7d, so it's possible I missed it if they backdated it and it slipped under my radar. Or maybe there won't ever be an inventory disruption and they just plan on relocating guests staying at VGC to somewhere else. Or maybe it'll be complete before January 2024 and I didn't start watching inventory early enough. Or maybe it's just not happening through 11m + 7d from now. I just don't know.

If I had to guess, I'd bet they are going to use the excuse of the VDH and Pixar openings to delay the VGC remodel as they could say, we just cant have non-stop construction in that path from Pixar Place to the park side of the VGC wing of Grand Cal with no breaks. Got to let those cash rate customers enjoy that walkway into DCA. Also, I don't think they want to make VGC too awesome while they are just taking off the plastic wrap of the VDH interiors. If we are lucky, September 2024. If not, very early 2025...

If I had to guess, I'd bet they are going to use the excuse of the VDH and Pixar openings to delay the VGC remodel as they could say, we just cant have non-stop construction in that path from Pixar Place to the park side of the VGC wing of Grand Cal with no breaks. Got to let those cash rate customers enjoy that walkway into DCA. Also, I don't think they want to make VGC too awesome while they are just taking off the plastic wrap of the VDH interiors. If we are lucky, September 2024. If not, very early 2025...
I think the dark horse option is relocating guests. With how much of VDH is currently declared (~22%), there's ample undeclared VDH inventory to dip into to give VGC guests a replacement room. Whatever business arrangement needs to be done to go from DVC units to not-yet-DVC units seems negotiable, especially if they think there's a marketing element of it ("look how great VDH is, don't you want to buy now!?").

And while VGC has more 1BR/2BR than VDH, they don't have to take down all of VGC at once, they can go floor by floor and just relocate ~4 rooms per category to VDH at a time. By going floor-by-floor (or 2 at a time), they can keep most of the "I refuse" guests at VGC and only move over those that are willing/understanding. If they really needed to, they might even be able to take vocally-disappointed-they-don't-get-a-balcony VGC Studio guests and put them into a VDH 1BR.

The complicated category would be the Grand Villas. VDH GVs are arguably nicer, but there's also only 2 (same as VGC) and 1 is already in the points inventory. And both VGC GVs are on the same floor(s), IIRC. Would need some access to signature suites inventory at GCH, I suppose.

This option gives them maximum timeline flexibility as they don't have to worry about removing inventory 11m in advance, as long as they do it before VDH is mostly declared.

In terms of my monitoring, it would be invisible as they'd be taking from the cash inventory of VDH, which I don't/can't monitor.

For those that have used the Murphy beds just how comfortable are those?
Im a not too petite man with some back problems due to a car accident a few years ago and I’d have no problems sleeping in one. I purposely laid down in one at SSR during our first visit in 2022 and had a good nap in one. Not quite as good as a real queen but far superior to the couch beds I tested at Kidani a few weeks ago. The couch as okay and good for smaller kids but I would have had some issues using it all the time. Better than most couch beds but far inferior to the new Murphy beds.

This option gives them maximum timeline flexibility as they don't have to worry about removing inventory 11m in advance, as long as they do it before VDH is mostly declared.
Prior to VDH being an option it seemed like a popular choice for the hotel management at the Grand Cal was to give villa stays that had to be taken offline, rooms at the club level (a suite or multiple regular rooms) and/or club level access to make up for not being able to have a kitchen and such. This would be my choice vs VDH just due to the walk and such. Also, having access to the club room for the food and drinks. Sign me up. I'd gladly "deal" with that and not cook or have to go shopping for food.

I think the dark horse option is relocating guests. With how much of VDH is currently declared (~22%), there's ample undeclared VDH inventory to dip into to give VGC guests a replacement room. Whatever business arrangement needs to be done to go from DVC units to not-yet-DVC units seems negotiable, especially if they think there's a marketing element of it ("look how great VDH is, don't you want to buy now!?").
This is not, historically, how Disney has typically dealt with refurbs (excluding emergencies). They just reduce the inventory available.

I’m sure someone with 30 years of memory will give some counter examples where they mass-relocated people (I think they were forced to at SSR during the refurb there when a building failed it’s initial fire inspection) but they clearly prefer to save up the 3% of points that they own to block off the rooms for refurbs, as it’s nearly always what they do now. Based on what they’ve done before, it certainly seems that they can use several years of points to block rooms for one refurbishment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter