DVC Dining Discount Experience

jstaff

Mouseketeer
Hello!

We have just gotten back home from a 9 day trip. We ate breakfast one morning at Ale and Compass which we had enjoyed in the past. We had 5 guests total (2 dvc members on the same contract) and 3 adults. We are all family and staying in the same room on property. When the server came for the bill, I had my phone open to the "DVC Y" in my Google Wallet and was informed that it would only apply to one member and 3 adults. I had never heard this before and had always used the discount for my entire party in the past. The waitress then proceeded to tell us the bill would have to be split into 2 separate bills. She proceeded to pull up a scrunched up piece of paper with a Font size of 1 and shoved it on the table showing us the "rules" she had to follow. I could not hear exactly what she was explaining since it was extremely loud in the restaurant at the time and we wer e at a dark table. She then wanted my DVC physical card which I pulled out for some reason and angrily then told me it was expired (which I knew since they no longer have physical cards). Very confused and rushed explanation of the bill.

Just putting this out there so no one else gets as confused as we were when the bill comes! I called DVC this week to ask about this "policy" and she had never heard of it before. I don't understand how the an individual restaurant enforces this while the DVC Member Services had no idea what I was talking about.

I've heard sporadic reports of the limit of 4, no matter the reservation size and everyone being in the room. I think it stinks and is stupid to have you split the bill into two to get the discount, but at least she offered that. Asking for the expired blue card is asinine as they're all expired by at least a year, maybe more like three at this point. What a headache for you. I'm sorry this happened.

I've heard sporadic reports of the limit of 4, no matter the reservation size and everyone being in the room. I think it stinks and is stupid to have you split the bill into two to get the discount, but at least she offered that. Asking for the expired blue card is asinine as they're all expired by at least a year, maybe more like three at this point. What a headache for you. I'm sorry this happened.
No, she did not offer to split the bill in order to get the discount (which is what we thought she was going to do). I meant to say she said the bill would be split into 2 bills (one bill getting the discount member plus 3 and one bill not getting any discount 1 adult). She was extremely firm and proceeded to do that without explanation. No clue why the expired blue card was needed and then told it was expired. She was getting a bit annoyed it took me awhile to find it and pull it out!

From discounts listed on Member website:

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/#/dining

"About Member Dining Discounts:
Discount is off the regular price of food and non-alcoholic beverages, excluding tax and gratuity, and is valid for the Member and up to 3 Guests, unless otherwise noted. Special events and packages excluded".

No idea why she asked for your card. That was just wrong.

If 2 of the group of 5 were DVC members and the other 3 were guests then maybe they would have been able to get the discount applied to everyone? Either all at once or splitting the bill. Member + 3 guests on one and Member on the other?

If 2 of the group of 5 were DVC members and the other 3 were guests then maybe they would have been able to get the discount applied to everyone? Either all at once or splitting the bill. Member + 3 guests on one and Member on the other?
Exactly what I thought!!! I was trying to explain there were 2 members but she would not listen. She was extremely dismissive after seeing that the blue card was expired which it had been for several years now! She was extremely loud and rude about it and I became very embarrassed since I did not understand exactly the problem and the table next to us was listening in.

Yeah, definitely ask for a manager if they give you problems. That 100% should have worked if two of you were members. If they were asking for the physical blue card that person had no idea what they were doing

Yeah, definitely ask for a manager if they give you problems. That 100% should have worked if two of you were members. If they were asking for the physical blue card that person had no idea what they were doing
I would have at that point we had just wanted to leave. Since she was being so loud and not explaining anything it was easier just to pay and leave. It was a bad end to what was supposed to be a nice meal since we don't go out to eat as a group much and this was supposed to be a nice family treat. The food itself was wonderful and definitely would go again for that, but I would hope to avoid this happening again.

I dunno. I probably would have raised a stink with the manager more so for the waitress' attitude than the discount at that point. But I also understand the inclination to just leave.

If you are still on property, maybe try the hotel concierge? If they can't fix the issue, they could at least register a complaint for you with the restaurant management about that server and the situation. We typically charge meals to the room and then pay down the bill every couple days, and when we've had issues in the past (a meal plan that didn't't work, a double charged beverage, etc.) we were able to get them to help resolve it, If nothing else, at least you know that your complaint about the waitress' rude behavior would be heard/passed on.

I'm sure training is hit or miss because it's wildly inconsistent all over the resort. I even went to Guest Services recently at MK to get new physical AP cards with the new designs. She asked if we lost ours. I said no, they're right here. She asked then why would we need that?

I explained that they're the 50th design and when I get asked for a card for proof for discounts, I get a weird look like I'm showing them an expired card and they have no way of verifying if they're real?

The GS rep just said, "Wow. That's so true." Yeah, pass that info along to the higher-ups. lol

I would have asked to speak to a manager. I've stopped carrying the expired DVC blue card since it expired years ago. For this server to request the card seems to indicate she's back working after a very long period, and doesn't know that the digital membership card is the current standard.

I would have asked to speak to a manager. I've stopped carrying the expired DVC blue card since it expired years ago. For this server to request the card seems to indicate she's back working after a very long period, and doesn't know that the digital membership card is the current standard.
I used my DVC discount at the Swan. The server wanted my DVC card and then my account number when all I had was the Disney App. Got the discount eventually. Big plus, nobody got rude or loud.
Exactly what I thought!!! I was trying to explain there were 2 members but she would not listen. She was extremely dismissive after seeing that the blue card was expired which it had been for several years now! She was extremely loud and rude about it and I became very embarrassed since I did not understand exactly the problem and the table next to us was listening in.

You are not alone! I had the unfortunate experience at Ale and Compass of a loud waitstaff sharing my allergies with the whole restaurant due to close seating and a loud CM. A and C is a go to for me when I feel like breakfast and the food is good. I still go but if I ever have a situation where my situation can't be discussed privately without rudeness, someone will be paying for my dinner.

The 4 person Discount has always been a rule. Enforcement will vary. I have not personally had an issue when we have had more than 4. Most times however my wife and I would split the check right out of the gate as we both had blue cards and now have them on our phones. - You do need to create separate sign ins which after 18 years we finally did a few years back.

We ate breakfast one morning at Ale and Compass which we had enjoyed in the past. We had 5 guests total (2 dvc members on the same contract) and 3 adults. We are all family and staying in the same room on property.
If you had said a character breakfast, perhaps. Naw, not even then was this handled appropriately

That they hassled you in such a way for a regular breakfast is ridiculous. Especially, as you technically had 2 DVC members at the table.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter