Dream Job turned out to be a Nightmare- WWYD?

I agree about the payroll thing but I dunno if I agree about the break thing. Maybe it's a state law here but there is DEFINITELY a law that they have to give a certain amount of break time. Do you mean you don't get any break at all? I've had jobs that do lunch break and do something weird about the other breaks. But I seriously have had no job over 6 hours a day that does no break at all. And these aren't voluntary breaks- you've got to take them to comply with company rules or laws. Also, If your company has a break policy then someone is probably jerking you around. Do you have handbook?

Congrats on your pregnancy. I realize this is not a perfect world. But I'm not sure you should hold off on telling your supervisor. It's your responsibility to advocate for your health and the health of your fetus. (But possibly in HR, you won't be at risk. Most jobs I've had have involved chemicals or contagions.) I'd say if they are going to fire you over this anyway- I wouldn't want to stay there. It may be your "dream" job, but it won't be a long term prospect for you.
There is no federal law covering meal breaks. I did assume that OP has access to a bathroom or small breaks. There are 6-7 states with laws regarding breaks. They vary from 10-15 minutes for 4 hours worked or must be given reasonable time to use a restroom. I'm not aware of any state that requires an actual 30 minute meal break. Only that if a break is under 30 minutes it must be paid or you can't subtract for meal breaks if employees are not relieved of all duties.

This company does not seem to value or respect employees.
I imagine that they are actually preying on newcomers, like yourself, to keep staffed.
This kind of thing is very common.
Always.... but if you do this, it will be just SO great in the future... etc...

You actually used the word 'nightmare' in your thread title.
That tells me you know what you need to know.

There are other jobs. Really, there are.

You are pregnant... and no real breaks... no meal breaks to keep your body fueled, basic nutrition... really????

I would not return to this position.
I wouldn't.

You need to value yourself and your worth as an employee.

It was advertised as a part time position. Like 25 hours a week type of thing where I'd get, as per the guy that interviewed me (main boss), "at least" two days off a week. It have close to 40 hours this week, and I've been told it will often be well over 40 as well.

If you applied and were hired for a PT job and are working over 30 hours per week that's not what you signed on for. They can either offer you a full time job with all the benefits that go with it, or you are perfectly within your rights to seek another job. I suppose you know this since you're in HR, just thought I'd mention it.
You might check state regulations regarding the break for lunch. When I was last a manager a break for "lunch" was required if you were working 8 hours or longer.

Congrats on the forthcoming new addition to your family. :)

That was going to be one of my followup questions, along with whether you realistically see yourself working there after your baby is born?

No I have benefits through My husband thankfully, so I am free to leave in that respect. As far as working there after the baby comes later this year, I sort or doubt it, especially now. I don't make enough for putting a baby in childcare to be worth it.

No I have benefits through My husband thankfully, so I am free to leave in that respect. As far as working there after the baby comes later this year, I sort or doubt it, especially now. I don't make enough for putting a baby in childcare to be worth it.

That's good news. I'm not married and for me to retire early, no health benefits is the biggest obstacle. I've been with my company almost 40 years but there is no retiree heath care. It was phased out over 10 years ago.

There is no federal law covering meal breaks. I did assume that OP has access to a bathroom or small breaks. There are 6-7 states with laws regarding breaks. They vary from 10-15 minutes for 4 hours worked or must be given reasonable time to use a restroom. I'm not aware of any state that requires an actual 30 minute meal break. Only that if a break is under 30 minutes it must be paid or you can't subtract for meal breaks if employees are not relieved of all duties.

New York State does in fact require a 30 minute minimum meal break. They do not require other short breaks, except if you work between 5 & 7 pm they also require an additional 20 minute meal period. Labor law section 162.

If your young without much responsibility, get out of there. If you have lots of bills and people counting on you, hang in there until you find something better

Then knowing that, I'd just go. If you're at a job for just a few weeks, you don't even need to list it on your resume. If you were there for 6 months etc., you would or else employers would wonder what the gap was. Just get out early.

When did the pay period end and what date did the check cover? It's common for it to take payroll a week to deliver a check from the previous pay period. If you submitted 40 hours for a pay period and were only paid 20 for the pay period, I'd say something, and keep a copy of your submitted time card going forward. It might also be a good idea to document your hours each day and keep your own records.

There is no federal employment law the guarantees a break. There may be some industry specific laws, like long haul trucking or airline pilots. I'm in CA, we don't get mandatory breaks, we just have to be paid if we don't get a break, even if it puts us in OT. I often don't get an actual meal break, I've learned to keep some snacks on me at work, like energy bars.

Actually, a quick google search shows that California does mandate an employer to provide a 30 minute meal break if you work at least 5 hours. It can be unpaid, & the employee can agree to "waive" it as long as they are not pressured to do so. It also says the employe doesn't have to make sure you take it. But it certainly does mandate employers to give workers breaks & meal breaks.

Trust your intuition. Something is clearly "off" about this place. Since you are in a position to walk away, I would do that as quickly as possible.

I'm intrigued by what sort of job in HR has such random hours, poor working conditions, pays less than retail and yet you considered it to be potentially a positive move? Can you give us a few more details?

Hey all! I just wanted to give you an update on what's been going on with this situation. So I got my schedule for the next few weeks and I'm working anywhere between 40 and 50 hours a week- and this isn't even a busy period yet. Lots of ten hour shifts, some that run very late into the night. Definitely not what I was thinking for a "part time" position. In a different time in my life, when I was younger and single, I might have been thrilled to get so many hours at a job, but with my current situation I need a part time job that is truly part time. I have a doctor's appointment Tuesday so after that I plan to come in and give them my two weeks' notice, explaining that I'm pregnant and this just isn't what I was expecting. It's disappointing but I know I can pick up some shifts at my old job no problem, they're great like that.

Speaking of my old job, some of you had inquired as to why I saw this job as a better position despite the pay cut. Believe me- I'm now asking myself the same question! I can't say too much about where I got this new job because they have a strict social media policy, but essentially it is in a seasonal amusement industry (not any of the big guys we love- don't worry!), and i had hoped that over this season (and possibly weekends only for future seasons) I could work and gain some experience on the "business" end of the entertainment/ amusement industry. These jobs aren't always the easiest to come by, so I figured taking a pay cut for a few years I might be able to build valuable experience and springboard into a salaried position 3 years or so down the line. Since my husband is the breadwinner in our home, I wasn't as concerned with taking a bit of a pay cut. Plus, we have been starting to think I'll probably work only part time until our kids enter preschool or so, so it being part time seemed ideal. it seems like the number one problem I've run into applying for jobs is everyone wants experience I don't have yet. I'd love to end up at Disney or Universal someday, either in HR or Marketing, and that was the "dream job" I'd hoped this one could be a stepping stone to.

It's too bad because this new job had a lot of really nice people working with me and the work itself was something I really like to do, but it just doesn't seem like what they need and what I need are going to sync up. Oh well- back to the drawing board!

I am so very confused.

Left outside? Someone had to let you in? Do you not have a key or pass card or something to your own building? You are working in HR, right? So, like, you have a desk. What are you doing outside and why don't you have a way back in?!?

I am so very confused.

Left outside? Someone had to let you in? Do you not have a key or pass card or something to your own building? You are working in HR, right? So, like, you have a desk. What are you doing outside and why don't you have a way back in?!?

I know right?! It's all very odd. Essentially a supervisor needs to sign me in every day, so if they decide to be an hour late I'm just out of luck! Very frustrating and such an odd way of doing things!

Speak up about the paycheck issue. You need to make sure you are being paid for hours you work. Also I would check about the lunch issue also. I am in New York and they are specific about the fact that you have to take a lunch but they are also specific about when you get it. For me I have to get at least 30 minutes and it has to be taken between 11am and 2 pm.

I think it's weird that you are putting in your notice without an attempt to resolve any of the issues. Like why they are scheduling full-time hours when you were hired for part-time. That is a simple question that should have a simple answer. Since you actually work in HR it should be very easy to broach most of the issues you are having.

I think it's weird that you are putting in your notice without an attempt to resolve any of the issues. Like why they are scheduling full-time hours when you were hired for part-time. That is a simple question that should have a simple answer. Since you actually work in HR it should be very easy to broach most of the issues you are having.

I agree with that, but I mentioned in an earlier post, it seems like OP had already made up her mind about the job based on the tone of her OP. I think the OP was more asking for a blessing to leave instead of asking for advice, and if that's the case, it's best OP just move on, because she doesn't want to be there, and there are probably other people that do and will take her spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter