• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Down the Rabbit Hole – a Vegan Alice and Omnivore Mad Hatter Taste Wonderland

Your reviews are fantastic! I'm taking my boyfriend of 5 years to the world for his first time in 27 days and I'm so excited! :woohoo: I started reading because I saw we had a lot of similar ADR's...who knew I would get such detailed reviews! I especially loved the tid-bit about drinking around the world...we're doing that the first night we arrive! And FINALLY a review for Tokyo Dining! :worship: I've looked everywhere on these boards and haven't been able to find a review of their sushi anywhere! We have that booked for our first night as well, so hopefully we wont be disappointed! :yay:

That's awesome! Have a blast...and make sure and tell us all about it on your return! Glad I could help out. Tokya had delicious sushi - you won't be disappointed! Plus, it's one of the best views in the world showcase :goodvibes

That's awesome! Have a blast...and make sure and tell us all about it on your return! Glad I could help out. Tokya had delicious sushi - you won't be disappointed! Plus, it's one of the best views in the world showcase :goodvibes

So after reading this and being so jealous about all the delicious meals with appetizers you got to eat (DDP doesn't include apps), it inspired me to upgrade to DxDDP...and after some rearranging I did it for only $14!!! I'm going to be soooo full but it's going to be so worth it! Once again, thanks for the great reviews...or maybe not, because now I'm out ANOTHER $14 spent on Disney! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

So after reading this and being so jealous about all the delicious meals with appetizers you got to eat (DDP doesn't include apps), it inspired me to upgrade to DxDDP...and after some rearranging I did it for only $14!!! I'm going to be soooo full but it's going to be so worth it! Once again, thanks for the great reviews...or maybe not, because now I'm out ANOTHER $14 spent on Disney! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

HA!!! Well...I guarantee you it's worth every penny! Honestly, when we were deciding last year, my husband counted the cost of us eating out of pocket, sharing an app and dessert and each getting an entree. After you add up 3 meals with snacks, we were SAVING money to eat more food on the deluxe plan! Since I am a huge food lover, there was no other option, and we will never NOT be on the deluxe plan! So glad I could help :goodvibes

Hi! You had replied to my inquiry about eating dairy-free at WDW, so I figured I would head over here and read about your experience. Your reviews are fantastic!!

We are DVC members and stay at Boardwalk Villas, and we are also huge fans of Kouzzina. We have only been there for dinner though. For breakfast, we usually eat in the villa, and go to a couple of character breakfasts for the kids throughout the trip. It's great that WDW can accommodate a vegan diet very well. I am also glad to see tofutti ice cream there! I'm also not a huge fan of rice dream...not much of a taste to me. I like the soy-based "ice creams" much better! I hear also that the ones made with coconut milk are fantastic, but unfortunately coconut milk aggravates my IBS so I can't have it. I have seen ice creams made with almond milk at the health food store, and I want to try those next, as I love to drink almond milk. There was a diner right by my house that had been serving soft serve chocolate tofutti for many years, and I loved it. But they closed a few months ago, and there is no other place around here that serves it. :sad2:

I have a lactose intolerance, not an actual dairy allergy, and I can tolerate small amounts of dairy. But, milk and ice cream are out of the question! Yogurt is the only thing I can have a full serving of and not have any problems. Most baked goods that are made with a little dairy are ok for me...but not things like cheesecake, which are loaded with it!

Hi! You had replied to my inquiry about eating dairy-free at WDW, so I figured I would head over here and read about your experience. Your reviews are fantastic!!

We are DVC members and stay at Boardwalk Villas, and we are also huge fans of Kouzzina. We have only been there for dinner though. For breakfast, we usually eat in the villa, and go to a couple of character breakfasts for the kids throughout the trip. It's great that WDW can accommodate a vegan diet very well. I am also glad to see tofutti ice cream there! I'm also not a huge fan of rice dream...not much of a taste to me. I like the soy-based "ice creams" much better! I hear also that the ones made with coconut milk are fantastic, but unfortunately coconut milk aggravates my IBS so I can't have it. I have seen ice creams made with almond milk at the health food store, and I want to try those next, as I love to drink almond milk. There was a diner right by my house that had been serving soft serve chocolate tofutti for many years, and I loved it. But they closed a few months ago, and there is no other place around here that serves it. :sad2:

I have a lactose intolerance, not an actual dairy allergy, and I can tolerate small amounts of dairy. But, milk and ice cream are out of the question! Yogurt is the only thing I can have a full serving of and not have any problems. Most baked goods that are made with a little dairy are ok for me...but not things like cheesecake, which are loaded with it!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the reviews! Hopefully they will help out on your upcoming trip.

We are actually heading to Disney in two weeks, and will be staying at Boardwalk Villas again! It really is our favorite!! I can't wait, and have been planning what I'll be eating for about 180 days now!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the reviews! Hopefully they will help out on your upcoming trip.

We are actually heading to Disney in two weeks, and will be staying at Boardwalk Villas again! It really is our favorite!! I can't wait, and have been planning what I'll be eating for about 180 days now!

We're going back next year, but I am really always in the planning stages, trying to keep up with everything! I completely understand about planning what you will eat 180 days in advance...I am already tossing around some places for our 2012 trip! :rotfl:

We love Boardwalk too. The location is so convenient...we loved walking to Epcot and DHS early in the morning, and having the option of the boat on the way back if we were tired or it was raining. And the bus ride to MK was very quick. Boardwalk is just so beautiful, too. We enjoyed a day at the pool there with the kids, and just walking on the Boardwalk in the evening and enjoying the entertainers. The kids liked the little magic shows!

I hope you come back and write some reviews again of the places you go! We are planning on going to a couple of signature restaurants for the first time on our next trip! DS6 loves steak, so Yachtsman will be one of them...very convenient, right across the lake from BWV! DH and I are also planning to go on a "date night" to a signature. We will bring the kids to the kids' club at Beach Club Resort, and enjoy a night out. Not sure where yet, but thinking about a few places.

I hope you come back and write some reviews again of the places you go! We are planning on going to a couple of signature restaurants for the first time on our next trip! DS6 loves steak, so Yachtsman will be one of them...very convenient, right across the lake from BWV! DH and I are also planning to go on a "date night" to a signature. We will bring the kids to the kids' club at Beach Club Resort, and enjoy a night out. Not sure where yet, but thinking about a few places.

I will definitely be doing a review! We are actually also doing more signatures this time. We love breakfast, but felt like we could sacrifice a few mornings and use snack credits in order to do more signatures in the evenings! We'll be trying out Flying Fish, Citricos, and California Grill for the first time, and I for one am VERY excited!

You know I'll be waiting and excited for your review. I finally finished my vegan dining review for QSDP today. Finally there are Disney QSDP there. Make sure to also let us know what snacks you get, I always love to see vegan snacks. I have a lot listed of snacks that are good on the DP on my review now. So glad that is done before we leave again in July. Have a great trip!!

Is there anything quite like a warm pastry? I sometimes get a craving and sprint to my favorite bake shop. My favorite is the Vegan “Beet It” muffin, with huge dark chocolate chunks…amazing even as a dessert! This particular morning of our trip though, we would be having bakery items to begin our day.

Before our trip, I had planned our Epcot day to include only a light breakfast. Looking back, it probably wasn’t the best planning decision, knowing in advance of our late dinner and cocktails the evening before. With my adoration of breakfast even on a normal day, this should have tipped me off that I might need something a bit more substantial! But, we were able to only use a snack credit for this, so I count it as a breakfast well spent (it enabled us to eat at a Signature dinner later in the week)!

Epcot had extra magic hours that morning, so I wanted to get over quickly and ride all the good stuff before there were 2 hour long waits for everything. Can you believe I’ve been to Disney World at least 8 times and have never ridden Test Track or Soarin’? Well this day was going to be my first experience!

On the way there, we stopped at Boardwalk Bakery, were surprised by its quietness (usually there is a line out the door and along the boardwalk), and immediately placed our orders so we could eat as we walked.

IMG_1953.jpg

Now for a little back story. As I’ve mentioned a few times now, I had been in contact with Disney Special Diets quite frequently. They mentioned that if there was anything specific I wanted, to just ask. SO…I took them up on it! Even though there were no Vegan items on Boardwalk Bakery's normal menu, they surprised me by giving me the email to the pastry chef! Chef Stefan is the pastry chef for both Boardwalk Bakery and Beach Club Marketplace, so emailed him asking what he might be able to whip up. He quickly replied and let me know he could do:
Bran Muffins
Apple Muffins
Blueberry Muffins
Bread
Sorbet (if I wanted dessert at any point during my stay)

IMG_1948.jpg

Nope, couldn't have anything in the display case, so I chose the Blueberry Muffins, and let him know the date I would be picking them up during my stay. Simple as that!

IMG_1950.jpg

Jeremy also picked out a Blueberry Muffin (they both looked exactly the same), and we headed out.

As we were walking, we both dug right in. Mine was…raw. That’s the best way to describe it. It was very doughy in the center, like they hadn’t baked it nearly long enough, even though the outside was golden as it should be. It even tasted like bread dough…mixed in with a few blueberries. I was so disappointed!

Jeremy said his was very good, though. He tried a little bit of mine and confirmed that yes, it was a bit on the undercooked side. He also mentioned there was a HUGE difference in his Blueberry muffin and mine. Looks can be quite deceiving!

I quickly threw it out and we continued on into the park. We entered through the back entrance located in the World Showcase and walked through the UK and Canada on our way to Future World. I noticed the Yorkshire County Fish Shop and knew that before lunch that day, I would be needing some French Fries!!

epcot.jpg

Before the rides and greasy snacks, we had to stop for a PhotoPass picture!

Your reviews look great!!!! Sucks about the blueberry muffin not being what you expected :( what else looked good at the bakery? we are thinking about making a trip to the Boardwalk just to get some bakery treats but aren't sure its worth a trip just for that!

With Babycakes in DTD, I wouldn't even bother with the Boardwalk Bakery anymore. Babycakes offers vegan (and some gluten free) baked goods, including muffins, cupcakes, cookies, donuts, etc. I'm not sure if they take the DDP but they're worth the trip (they're a regular "destination bakery" here in NYC). :lovestruc

You know I'll be waiting and excited for your review. I finally finished my vegan dining review for QSDP today. Finally there are Disney QSDP there. Make sure to also let us know what snacks you get, I always love to see vegan snacks. I have a lot listed of snacks that are good on the DP on my review now. So glad that is done before we leave again in July. Have a great trip!!

Yes, I had subscribed to your reviews, and just got notified that you were back at it! It's still fun, and a good refresher! I can't wait to go, and will be making much better use of my snack credits this time around!!

Your reviews look great!!!! Sucks about the blueberry muffin not being what you expected :( what else looked good at the bakery? we are thinking about making a trip to the Boardwalk just to get some bakery treats but aren't sure its worth a trip just for that!

We are staying at the Boardwalk again, so while we'll make a trip there just because of that, I must say that they have great treats! Lots of baked goods of every kind, a little bit more of a morning bake shop than Main Street Bakery, if that makes sense. There aren't quite as many danishes, and more muffins, but they also have TONS of desserts very similar to that of the Patisserie in France, and the most gorgeous looking fruit tarts I've ever seen!!

With Babycakes in DTD, I wouldn't even bother with the Boardwalk Bakery anymore. Babycakes offers vegan (and some gluten free) baked goods, including muffins, cupcakes, cookies, donuts, etc. I'm not sure if they take the DDP but they're worth the trip (they're a regular "destination bakery" here in NYC). :lovestruc

I am absolutely heading there the day I get there! I'm planning on stocking up on a wide variety of treats for breakfast and snack items. My husband actually really loves vegan and gluten free desserts, so we really won't even have to distinguish between the two at this place! Can't wait to review it!

I will definitely be doing a review! We are actually also doing more signatures this time. We love breakfast, but felt like we could sacrifice a few mornings and use snack credits in order to do more signatures in the evenings! We'll be trying out Flying Fish, Citricos, and California Grill for the first time, and I for one am VERY excited!

I can't wait to hear about Flying Fish, Citrico's and Cali Grill!

It definitely sounds worth it to save some dining plan credits for the signatures! Plus, it is so easy to get breakfast with snack credits. On our last trip, I upgraded my ticket to an annual pass ($100 discount for DVC members), and purchased the Tables in Wonderland card ($75). This worked out great for us since we had a lot of TS meals planned, and it gave us 20% off in all those places, including alcohol. It was really great. We're going to do this again on the next trip.

I can't wait to hear about Flying Fish, Citrico's and Cali Grill!

It definitely sounds worth it to save some dining plan credits for the signatures! Plus, it is so easy to get breakfast with snack credits. On our last trip, I upgraded my ticket to an annual pass ($100 discount for DVC members), and purchased the Tables in Wonderland card ($75). This worked out great for us since we had a lot of TS meals planned, and it gave us 20% off in all those places, including alcohol. It was really great. We're going to do this again on the next trip.

Including Alcohol?! That's fantastic! Tables in Wonderland is for Florida residents only though, right? I so wish we lived in Florida! For more reasons that a discount, however!:goodvibes

Including Alcohol?! That's fantastic! Tables in Wonderland is for Florida residents only though, right? I so wish we lived in Florida! For more reasons that a discount, however!:goodvibes

Tables in Wonderland is for Florida residents, but annual pass holders are also eligible to purchase it. I don't live in Florida either (live in Brooklyn, NY). Yes, the discount includes alcohol!!! :goodvibes They add an automatic 18% gratuity also when using the TiW card, which makes it much easier for DH and me since the bill is complete and we don't have to figure out the tip. We were even able to use it for the meals we had with the rest of the family. You can use the card for up to a party of 10, as long as the cardholder is present at the table. We were a party of 10, so this worked out well. They don't give separate checks with the TiW, but we were able to tell the server how much to charge to each KTTW card, which was nice.

I have a question for you, a little off topic...what types of non-dairy "ice creams" do you like best? I have tried tofutti (love it), SO Delicious (it's good, but tofutti is better), Purely Decadent (same company as SO Delicious, but tastes better to me), and Rice Dream (not that crazy about it). I am wondering about Almond Dream though. I saw it at the health food store when I was picking up some tofutti cuties, and I love almond milk so I am curious. I didn't buy it though. Have you tried almond dream? One thing that I am sure is delicious is coconut milk based ice cream, but coconut milk aggravates my IBS so I can't have it. :sad2: I was just wondering what your opinion is. Thanks!

I have a question for you, a little off topic...what types of non-dairy "ice creams" do you like best? I have tried tofutti (love it), SO Delicious (it's good, but tofutti is better), Purely Decadent (same company as SO Delicious, but tastes better to me), and Rice Dream (not that crazy about it). I am wondering about Almond Dream though. I saw it at the health food store when I was picking up some tofutti cuties, and I love almond milk so I am curious. I didn't buy it though. Have you tried almond dream? One thing that I am sure is delicious is coconut milk based ice cream, but coconut milk aggravates my IBS so I can't have it. :sad2: I was just wondering what your opinion is. Thanks!

I haven't tried the Almond Dream, but I may have to give is a whirl! I love Almond milk, so I'm sure it would be pretty good! I think my favorite ice cream would have to be any of the Purely Decadent! I love coconut anything, so that helps alot! My husband, however, is not as much of a fan :)

I'll also give you mine. I like the frozen treats from rice dreams, but the ice cream is horrible (in the tubs). Purely Decadent/SO is awesome. The coconut flavors are all good, at least the ones I've tried. Chocolate peanut butter - yummy!! I love the turtle something one which is vanilla with little chocolate covered caramel crunchy bits in it. Choclate in the regular purely decadent ones is not as good as the vanilla (but I do like it in the coconut) I've heard really good things about TEMPT, but I can't seem to find it in the ice cream.

Just realized you saiid you can't have coconut. Try the turtle one by Purely Decadent. SO Good. It's soy based and the easiest for me to find locally without having to go to Whole Foods. I have tried the Almond Dream but now I can't remember why I never bought it again. Maybe I need to try it again. I thought I bought almond praline or maybe I got vanilla but wanted to try almond praline and couldn't find it. I think Almond dream makes a ice cream sandwich that I tried and that I really liked. They were tiny, but a nice treat. The Rice Dream cookie sandwiches in the mocha are great. Not so good in the mint.

I haven't tried the Almond Dream, but I may have to give is a whirl! I love Almond milk, so I'm sure it would be pretty good! I think my favorite ice cream would have to be any of the Purely Decadent! I love coconut anything, so that helps alot! My husband, however, is not as much of a fan :)

I'll also give you mine. I like the frozen treats from rice dreams, but the ice cream is horrible (in the tubs). Purely Decadent/SO is awesome. The coconut flavors are all good, at least the ones I've tried. Chocolate peanut butter - yummy!! I love the turtle something one which is vanilla with little chocolate covered caramel crunchy bits in it. Choclate in the regular purely decadent ones is not as good as the vanilla (but I do like it in the coconut) I've heard really good things about TEMPT, but I can't seem to find it in the ice cream.

Just realized you saiid you can't have coconut. Try the turtle one by Purely Decadent. SO Good. It's soy based and the easiest for me to find locally without having to go to Whole Foods. I have tried the Almond Dream but now I can't remember why I never bought it again. Maybe I need to try it again. I thought I bought almond praline or maybe I got vanilla but wanted to try almond praline and couldn't find it. I think Almond dream makes a ice cream sandwich that I tried and that I really liked. They were tiny, but a nice treat. The Rice Dream cookie sandwiches in the mocha are great. Not so good in the mint.

Thanks so much guys!! I had the Purely Decadent a couple of weeks ago in Cookie Avalanche (like vanilla with oreo cookies!). It was delicious!

I realized that since I live in Brooklyn, and there are a lot of religious Jewish people near where I live, that there must be a store that sells kosher non-dairy ice cream. Sure enough, there is one ice cream parlor around the corner from where I work, and another one that is closer to my house, and much easier to park! I went to the one closer to my house on my way home from work today and they had tons of things that contain no dairy! I bought these small treats made of non-dairy peanut butter and vanilla ice cream, with a little fudge on top and the bottom is dipped in chocolate. I also bought chocolate/vanilla sundae cups with chocolate fudge on top and whipped topping! They're like the little ice cream cups I buy my kids at the supermarket, but dairy free! They had tons of other stuff, including non-dairy cakes. My birthday is in June and I just may have to tell DH to get my cake there!

Anyway, I had the little peanut butter and vanilla treat and it was delicious! It also has little chocolate cookie bits in it. I am going to be *bad* tonight and try a sundae cup too. In a little while I have physical therapy (I had surgery 6 weeks ago because of a badly herniated disc in my neck), and I will try the sundae cup when I get home.

The only thing is...they have no nutrition label so I don't know how many points they would be counted as on weight watchers. I will check the weight watchers books and just count them the same as regular ice cream. (I'm a Lifetime Member and I still count everything and write it down).

Thanks again for your recommendations. I think that next, I will go back to this place and buy one of their tubs. They sell vanilla, chocolate, and vanilla fudge (the one I will buy!). :goodvibes

I just wanted to drop-in and say THANK YOU for the awesome dining report! I am a vegetarian traveling to Disney World in a week. I'm attempting to tweak some of my reservations now to see if I can enjoy similar things although I know it is quite late to do so. Anyways, thanks so much for sharing with us! :goodvibes

So excited for you, I also happen to be a vegan and I LOVE it!! So excited to start reading your posts. Taking my omnivore mother there next year during our road trip..it should be fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter