Doubletree Suites DTD review - very long

Poly-Anna

Mouseketeer
Hello all! We just returned yesterday from an 8 day vacation at the Doubletree Suites at DTD, and as promised here is my review. The hotel is one of the better Orlando/WDW hotels we have stayed in and I have stayed in many both off and onsite. The only other hotel I really enjoyed as much is Portofino Bay at Universal.

Cleanliness: The last few years I have found WDW Mousekeeping to be lacking. Whether deluxe or moderate, our hotel rooms were never very clean. I am a germaphobe and clean-freak when it comes to hotels and all I can say is the housekeeping staff at DTS is to be commended for outstanding service and cleaniness. Rooms were immaculately cleaned every day, we received extra towels just by leaving a note request and they were very pleasant on all levels. All the staff we encountered, either front desk, wait staff in the restaurant or by the pool, or concierge for tickets, were above and beyond professional and pleasant.

Rooms: As everyone has mentioned before, the pictures you see on the hotel's website are exactly what you encounter in real life. The two room suites are excellent. The double beds are so comfortable and the bedroom/bathroom area alone seems much bigger than a moderate room at Disney. The bath has one sink (which was fine for the 3 of us) but also has much counterspace. The shower water pressure was excellent and immediately hot and had that curved shower rod which gives more elbow room. Outside the bath there is a large closet with separate real hair dryer (not the small built in kind) and safe, ironing board and iron, and large mirror and table. It's a big enough area to serve as a dressing area. The living room/kitchenette area is great with the pull-out queen sofa, chair, tv and table with 4 chairs. The fridge is a good size one, bigger than Disney's and you can easily fit 3 half gallon size drinks on the bottom rung of the door. It also has a very small freezer. The sink is small but very servicable and there is a microwave and coffeemaker. The suite was perfect, and the two tv's were very helpful.

Pool: There is a small landscaped pool that never seemed to be crowded. It was perfect sized with a smaller kiddie pool that had a fountain in the middle and a hot tub. There is also a pool-side bar that serves excellent Margaritas and also food. There is a small exercise room and also a small video game room. We used the pool several times during the week and it was great, also my husband and 4 year old used the game room and they enjoyed it.

Restaurant: We booked a Mousesavers special that included continental breakfast for 4 (2 adults and 2 children) for $109 per night, and we went to breakfast every morning. It opens at 6:30 a.m., and being early risers, we would usually got there by 7 a.m. when it was quiet and most people were still in their rooms. Self-serve breakfast included: cold cereal (many different kinds in small boxes); fruit - cantalope, honeydew, pineapple, bananas, apples, oranges; hot cereals (oatmeal-type) with brown sugar or dried fruit toppings; all types of pastries - Krispy Kreme-like donuts, cinnamon rolls, muffins, bagels, danish of all sorts, and various breads for toasting. We got a carafe of coffee every morning and our little guy got milk (they have chocolate, regular, skim, 1%). There is also orange juice. As mentioned before, the wait staff was excellent and attentive, and by the third day were expecting us. You can also order hot items, but I think that was an additional $7 or so. The food was all you could eat and we saw many people come in and fill up white containers to bring back to their rooms, but we preferred to sit and eat. We ate more than enough for breakfast every day.

Transportation: We did rent a car, because we got a great last minute special through Alamo for $159 for the week for a compact car. Since we went to Aquatica, it came in very handy. However we only used the car once to go to MK - we went to the Pirate and Princess Party on Memorial Day (which was great) and we wanted to drive back since it would be a late night instead of using the bus. Other than that we used the bus transportation to the parks every day (and lugged a stroller with us - probably for the last time) and found it to be fine. It starts picking up at the hotel at 8:00 a.m. and I would advise to get the first bus to the parks. The bus services 3 hotels (the Hilton, Royal Plaza and Doubletree) and the first bus was never crowded - we always got a seat. After that, the buses tend to fill. The bus comes every half hour and one bus services MK and AK, and another goes to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. So if you use the bus to the Animal Kingdom, just remember it goes to the Magic Kingdom first so it might take a few minutes longer. The return buses were fine, just the MK bus picks up at the Ticket and Transportation area, so also keep that in mind. We thought the bus transportation was very good and it also saved us $11 a day. The bus drivers were also great and very courteous.

Overall I would definitely give the Doubletree a 9 out of 10 and would definitely go back when we next visit Disney. Since we tend to alternate years staying at Universal then Disney, our next trip might be to Universal, but maybe we will split it with a few days at DTS.

Any questions, feel free. I may have missed something somewhere. Thanks to all who contributed great insight and opinions that helped make our stay enjoyable and informed.:thumbsup2

Thanks for the review Poly-Anna! It was awesome:thumbsup2 The Doubletree sounds like it can give the on-property resorts a run for their money. The breakfast option might be very helpful. We might be visiting Sea World and Universal along with WDW so the Doubletree might be a great option. I still like staying in the Lake Buena Vista/DTD area because it is our comfort zone for Orlando. I have seen on another site photos of the renovated public areas. Looks very modern now.

Magalex - I was very wary of staying offsite to visit Disney. The last few years it always seemed much easier traveling with a little one to stay on property. But like I mentioned, the size and cleanliness of the WDW rooms have sort of turned me off. The Doubletree had plenty of room for both the big and little guys to spread out and being so close to DTD and across the street from plenty of restaurants, grocery stores and such, was a plus. We really enjoyed our stay and I would highly recommend the hotel.

Poly-Anna - your review sounds great. Just one question: how long does the bus take from the Doubletree to get to the parks?

Magalex - I was very wary of staying offsite to visit Disney. The last few years it always seemed much easier traveling with a little one to stay on property. But like I mentioned, the size and cleanliness of the WDW rooms have sort of turned me off. The Doubletree had plenty of room for both the big and little guys to spread out and being so close to DTD and across the street from plenty of restaurants, grocery stores and such, was a plus. We really enjoyed our stay and I would highly recommend the hotel.

Poly-Anna
I am glad to hear a point of view from someone who has stayed on-site too. We have never stayed off-site with our DS ,who will be 8 on our next trip next year. Yes, staying on-site with a young child is so easy. We love the on-site resorts but sometimes I have become tired of sitting on the bed having a snack. I think the Doubletree would be the safest to try out for our first OFF-SITE stay because I would still feel we are on Disney property. We will rent a car so the buses would not be an issue for us. We also go to the park with the opposite EMH. We have never experienced the evening EMH. Maybe when my DS is a teen the evening EMH would be a benefit. So we won't miss that option. I am still going back & forth on the decision.

jaykat - We usually got the first bus in the morning. They started running at 8 a.m., we were the last pick up out of 3 - picked up by 8:05, and at MK by 8:20 or so, AK by 8:35. The Epcot/Hollywood Studios bus runs were a bit shorter because they are closer to DTS, but we were always at the parks within 20 minutes. One day we did take the second morning bus at 8:30 or so to MK and were at the park by 9 a.m.

The bus drivers usually told you what times to expect to be picked up on the return - like 5 past the hour or 25 past the hour - and they were usually on time. We never really had any problems and used the buses all week. I know they also go to TL and BB - usually only 2 drop offs in the morning say at 9:15 and 10:15 and then 2 picks up in the afternoon, but we went to Aquatica by car so I can't be sure about those. TL is just a very short distance away - we were surprised how close it was. So I would think the ride would be short. There is also a shuttle to DTD starting at 6 p.m. every evening.

Hope this helps.:duck:

Magalex - We had stayed at the Swan two years ago and last year at POFQ, which were great hotels, so we were a little nervous about going "offsite." The Swan and POFQ both were pricing out at $160-170, and the $109 rate for DTS with breakfast was just too good to pass up. DTS is in DTD area, and even though the bus transportation was not Disney's, we thought it being so close to the parks would be okay. We too did have a car back up plan this time, so we thought that was covered, but if we stay there again, I would not be afraid to just rely upon their buses. Disney's pools may be better, but the size of the room, cleanliness, and great hotel staff definitely made up for it by far. We also encountered no room noise from the nearby rooms and at Disney's you usually hear everything. We will definitely return without hesitation. Good luck in your decision.

I don't know how I missed your review when you wrote it. You left me a reply on a previous post saying you were going to Doubletree, so I have been looking for this! Thanks so much for this review. One of my main concerns is making it to the parks in time for rope drop. We are morning people and like to be there first thing. It sounds like the bus service was fine with getting you there at that time. I am a little nervous about staying off-site, but it helps to know that you had a good experience. I know my husband and I will enjoy having a separate room after the kids go to bed, and with our Honors points, it will be free! I am so relieved to read your report!

THANKS!

MickeyMomTo2 - We had absolutely no problem getting to any park for the rope drop in the morning. If you take that first bus that picks up at/right after 8 a.m. you will definitely make it with time to spare for park opening. We also always had a seat on the bus at that time. Plus we went Memorial Day weekend when you would think there would be crowds. The only time we were late was our last day when we took the second bus about 8:30 a.m. and we got to the park right after it opened. (We slept in that day!)

Staying at Disney hotels, we were always at the parks for EMH in the morning. What was nice this time was that we would get up at 6 a.m., get ready, go for a leisurely breakfast and still be able to get the first bus out. Staying offsite is a different strategy; just don't go to any park that has morning EMH and you might actually be able to enjoy the day instead of stressing out from the get-go!:thumbsup2

We had a great time at DTS, and I hope you do too!

I have been assuming we'd stay on-site until tonight...I've been reading some great off-site reviews. One of my hopes is to return to the hotel in the afternoon for naps and swimming. How often do the buses take you to the parks and how often do they pickup at the parks...is it all day pretty much every half an hour?

Disneyvirg - the buses usually come every half hour. And the bus drivers usually tell you on the way to the parks about what time to expect the return bus (5 past the hour, 35 minutes past the hour, etc.). We usually stayed most of the day then returned to the hotel to swim, have dinner and relax (we have a 4 year old). However on one day, we went to MK for the day, left about 2 p.m., went back to MK in the evening when it was open until 11 p.m. for the parade and fireworks. It is doable, and we would have done it more often if our little guy were older. I think for hotels outside the DTD area, it would not be a great idea to go back and forth. Too much time wasted traveling. But for the DTD hotels, it wasn't a problem (as long as you go when the parks are open late).

Hope this helps. :)

I will repost a review after our trip this August to see if it still measures up. We again got a mousesavers special with breakfast. I know they now charge $8 to park, but we'll see what else has changed.:)

We are wondering how the pull out sofa is for comfort?? We will be staying their with 2 of our grandchildren both 11 years old - boy & girl. We thought that they could each have the double beds & we would sleep on the pull out - the write up says that it is queen size?? In the bathroom -- is there a door between the shower/tube toilet & the sink area or is it all in one room?
Thanks for any info!!

We are wondering how the pull out sofa is for comfort?? We will be staying their with 2 of our grandchildren both 11 years old - boy & girl. We thought that they could each have the double beds & we would sleep on the pull out - the write up says that it is queen size?? In the bathroom -- is there a door between the shower/tube toilet & the sink area or is it all in one room?
Thanks for any info!!

I'm wondering about the sofa bed too! One of our party will be sleeping on it as well. Anyone out there know????:confused3

We've stayed there a couple times. While I have not slept in in my Uncle 74 years did and it was fine for him. A couple times a grandchild slept with him and it was fine. We stayed for 7 nights and no complaints.

Thanks Princess Disney Mom ---- do you think that 2 adults will work on the pull out - is it really a queen size like stated in the write up??? We want to put the 2 grand kids to bed & then sit & relax for awhile before hitting the sofa!!! Who knows, maybe grandma & grandpa will be hitting the sack for the grandchildren :-) Also can you give me info on the layout of the bathroom area. Is the sink/counter area seperate from the tub/shower toilet area? I know that it sounds weird to be asking - but ----

I stayed at the Doubletree Nov. 07. After staying at Wilderness Lodge our first trip, I was very disappointed with the bus service at the Doubletree. When booking the hotel, we were told they take you directly to the parks. That was not true for MK. They took us to the Transportation Station where you had to catch a monorail to the MK. I was so bummed. I guess I was spoiled from staying at WL. Does anyone know if that is still the case now? Or do they drop you off at the actual park?

As for the sofa bed, I slept on it and it was fine. It was much better sleeping on it alone that sharing the bed with a 6 year old!

I stayed at the Doubletree Nov. 07. After staying at Wilderness Lodge our first trip, I was very disappointed with the bus service at the Doubletree. When booking the hotel, we were told they take you directly to the parks. That was not true for MK. They took us to the Transportation Station where you had to catch a monorail to the MK. I was so bummed. I guess I was spoiled from staying at WL. Does anyone know if that is still the case now? Or do they drop you off at the actual park?

As for the sofa bed, I slept on it and it was fine. It was much better sleeping on it alone that sharing the bed with a 6 year old!

There is no access for off property transportation at the MK bus depot. That is for Disney resorts only (plus Swan and Dolphin, since they share with Epcot resorts). The closest any of the other transportation can get to MK is the TTC.

Hi I have a question.....I just booked the room with the allears code for 3 nights at the end of August 09 and that website says that you get a continental breakfast for 2 adults and 2 kids. But it says nothing of this anywhere on my reservation from the Doubletree itself. Does anyone know if this is still in effect? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter