Don't cancel your vacations yet!!!

Despite the distractions, please feel free to share your positive experiences at disney. They do not have to involve fastpass plus. We are looking for the pros of a disney vacation. We can leave the cons to the other threads .

Sorry about that.

Ok, positives:

Well here are some of the moments I think of when I am bored at work
- driving under the WDW gates and yelling "We're Home!"
- stepping foot on my first monorail of the trip and repeating the spiel!
- watching the Magic Kingdom Welcome Show
- seeing Cinderella Castle for the first time (I always cry)
- Illuminations
- That Disney "smell" for me it is water - like the fountains at the resorts, or Pirates of the Caribbean, It's a Small World, Maelstrom, Grand Fiesta Tour etc.

Sorry about that. Ok, positives: Well here are some of the moments I think of when I am bored at work - driving under the WDW gates and yelling "We're Home!" - stepping foot on my first monorail of the trip and repeating the spiel! - watching the Magic Kingdom Welcome Show - seeing Cinderella Castle for the first time (I always cry) - Illuminations - That Disney "smell" for me it is water - like the fountains at the resorts, or Pirates of the Caribbean, It's a Small World, Maelstrom, Grand Fiesta Tour etc.

This is why Disney is so magical. It is not only about riding so many rides, but also the experiences that you cannot get anywhere else. Disney is much more than an amusement park - it is a way of being. That being is full of magic, happiness, and peace. From the first visit to Disney, I have been hooked!

I cry during wishes every time!
I also love when they "blow out" the lights before illuminations!

no cancelling of any trips here....in the midst of planning a holiday trip for December of this year, FP+ and all. whether we get 3 headliners or 13 headliners a day (pretty sure it won't be 13), we will have a fantastic trip. For us, Disney is not about cramming all the rides in we can and repeating, sure we do repeat attractions when it makes sense, but we also don't feel the need to go for volume. as our friends like to say to us, we like to 'stop and smell the roses'. there are so many things to do and interact with besides being in line for a headliner.

Well I think the new system is a massive upgrade on the old system. We are offsite and we are scheduling FP+ the day of and having no problem. No wait at booths and we find 3 FP+ is plenty in a day.

There is so much more to WDW that we want to enjoy than rollar coaster. There is so much more to watch and explore.

I get that the adrenaline junkies won't like his system but I never got that WDW was about the rides anyway if we want thrill rides we go elsewhere where they are bigger and faster. We see magic everywhere at WDW Fastpasses or not

We have been twice since Magic Bands were introduced and have had very positive experiences. We just returned yesterday. Crowds were low for some days we were there but surprisingly high especially on Friday and Saturday. There were lots of large groups, mostly cheerleaders and lots of families with kids in strollers. We are generally not rope drop people. Vacation for us is not rushing. We enjoy getting up and enjoying coffee on our room balcony or taking a swim in the morning, then leisurely head to a park. FP+ works really well for the style of touring we do.

We spend 5 nights at the Beach Club, One day we stayed at the resort for the morning and had lunch before heading out. We went to the Magic Kingdom and most of the high demand rides had 50-80 minute stand-by times when we entered the ride. We had the first ride scheduled for 2 and the others at 3 and 4. We arrived a little before 2:30. Between rides we checked the wait times for other rides and went on a few of the lower demand rides, enjoyed a Dole Whip and walked around the New Fantasy Land. After dinner at Be Our Guest (which we thoroughly enjoyed) we walked up by Frontier Land and watched the Electric Parade and then walked down by the castle to see the projections on the castle before the fireworks. They are spectacular. Unfortunately the cloud cover was low so the fireworks were not good so we headed to the bus and were back in our room by 9:15. It was a great day and not exhausting.

Some of the days, especially mid week, the stand-by lines were pretty short. One day the Animal Safari in Animal Kingdom was 20 minute stand-by after lunch. The day we went to EPCOT we had a fast passes for Test Track and would have only waited 15 or 20 minutes in the regular stand-by line. We may have just caught it at the right time because the ride was down for a while earlier in the day. We usually go to EPCOT during Food and Wine Festival so it was fun walking around the World Showcase with minimal crowds. We also did the Behind the Seeds tour at The Land which we really enjoyed. It is pretty inexpensive (I think about $20) and kids are welcome on this tour because it is pretty much all "On Stage".

There are things I'd like to see in FP+ that others have brought up - support for park hopping, rescheduling a missed FP, ability to schedule the 2 major rides in The Studios and EPCOT but for us this didn't spoil things. Hopefully some of those will come before too long.

We loved the Magic Bands for opening the room, park pass and charging. We had a few problems with them working the last time we visited but everything was flawless this time. Most days I ended up carrying no bag into the parks so we didn't have to go through the bag check.

We're looking forward to our next visit which I hope will not be too far in the future - maybe Food and Wine Festival 2014 :)

Keep the positivity flowing!!!:thumbsup2 Remember, post anything that makes wdw all warm and fuzzy for you! It does not have to pertain to fast pass +.

See, this is a great post. I think the average FP+ hater/disliker would come up with the EXACT list of pros and cons. However, most of them see con #2 as being a MASSIVE downgrade. And all the cons are niceties that would never impact someones overall enjoyment. Perhaps some people have had their day ruined, digging through their pocket for their room key, but not me. I would, however have my day ruined if I got a very limited number of rides.

-Jason

Fair enough.

I will add this pro:

Through a combination of Rope Drop and EMH, a visitor can still maximize their ride opportunity adding in FP+ and see minimal difference under the old system. Especially if they are able to use the app to only go to standby attractions that meet their litmus for maximum wait time (ours was 30 min or less).

I posit that if a visitor was not doing RD or EMH, they likely were not seeing all if the advantages of the old system.

Without EMH and traveling with a large group, my smaller group of 8 managed: Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Goofy Barnstormer x 2, race cars x2, carouselx2, IASW, POTC, story time with Belle, HM, Peter Pan, tea cups, Buzz Lightyear, TTA, and Space mountain. Our FP+ was for PP, POTC, and space mountain with our time slots coinciding with lengthy standby waits. ETA: we also, with wait time, had 90 minutes dedicated to dinner at BOG. So pretty productive day, I think. Also forgot that we did the Electrical Parade and had lunch at Pecos Bill.

Splash mountain was closed, we had a mix if big and little. And my tall people decided to spend the last 2+ hours of park time with Sorcerors of the magic kingdom. Thus, we missed BTMR.

As you can see, we did far more than 3 rides and has several repeats. We could have hit more with the short people, but opted to just "hang out" while tall people road rides. This was a choice, but our rides would have easily been more.

In any case, as with FP- both not enforced and enforced times, users of FP+ will find ways to maximize their ride potential.

And I found our ability to maximize to be a pro for FP+ and not a detriment of losing the old system.

What a great idea for a thread! I also have been getting sick of all the negativity. I am headed back 5/30 and in many ways excited for the new system. It will be great to pick out a fast pass for the park I'll be at at the end of the day.

Love this thread!! :love:

We went to F&WF and MNSSHP last Oct/Nov and loved our MBs. They worked great (a little too convenient when it came to charging purchases :rotfl2:) and we thought they were very easy to use. We are not park "commandos" so getting 3 FP+ worked just fine for us, and with EMH we were able to ride headliners more than once. It was such a good trip I made plans for a solo adventure this Christmas! :banana:

Now that my generation have become empty nesters, we have lots of grandkids to start the magic all over with so I have even suggested having the family reunion (which is usually a cruise) be at F&W in 2015. Since we are Italian, our reunions always include lots of food and wine so might as well celebrate around the world! :lmao:

I will be going back to Disney with my dd and her bff and my wonderful cousin in May. I've been not looking at the boards much lately because it's been bumming me out. I love Disney for all the magic touches. I love how the street lights in AK look like bugs. I love how the water parade at night is the same since I was little and it still makes me smile. I love how the resorts each have a different smell. After seeing fireworks at Disney, it's hard to watch them at July 4th without any music. I love how each morning when you enter the MK you can smell the bakery and hear the music. I love all the rides, even the old ones. I don't even worry about FP because just walking around makes me happy. I like to go on carriage rides or rent bikes and ride around the campground. Never a line for that! I love seeing the toys in DTD and eating ice cream and buying a bath soap.
I love how they wave to you when you are leaving, like family :wave2:. I guess I notice the little things. So do the kids. Ever watch them? The kids notice all the cool stuff. And that's what it's all about. My daughter spent the whole afternoon once long ago laughing at the giant dog nose breathing on her in HS. It was so worth the trip. princess:

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

Love this thread! I actually just booked a trip in May in addition to our October trip.

The things that keep me going back to WDW aren't the rides, the parks, the FastPasses or anything of that nature. The thing that keeps me going back to WDW is the memories, the ones past and the ones yet to be made.

This past September my Mom and I were walking from Liberty Square towards the Hub. We have crossed that bridge near Adventureland dozens of times. My grandmother, my Mom's mom, passed away in May of 2013 and her favotite movie was Meet Me In St. Louis. Now, I know the Trolley Song is featured prominently on Main Street but on this particular walk we heard a different song....the title song....Meet Me In St Louis. In the hundreds of times we have been in The Hub and on Main Street we have NEVER heard it. My grandma used to sing it all the time....and in that moment she was there with us. That is a memory I will always have.

It has nothing to do with rope drop, FastPasses, attractions, standby wait times etc...it is simply a magical family moment - and those are what define WDW to me. :goodvibes

This is such a wonderful thread! Thanks to OP for starting this! I love disney for so much more than the great rides. I love being immersed in the magic and feeling as if all your cares in the world disappear. I love the interaction with the characters! I love the priceless smiles the whole experience brings to my kiddos faces! love the magic that the CMs provide. On our last trip a CM stopped my DD to compliment her on her dress. She commented how her princess dress was just missing one thing and asked is if we knew what that was. Me and my DD just looked at each other stumped. The CM said well she needs pixie dust! And then she proceeded to sprinkle pixie dust on my DDs head. It was so magical! My DD kept asking through the day if her pixie dust was still in her hair. Lol. She just loved being treated like a princess. So many little things that you just can't get anywhere other than Disney!

You guys said everything so perfectly!! I love thrill rides but Disney is SO much MORE!!
I love walking into MK and hearing all the old time music, grabbing ice cream and sitting on the train. I love catching the street actors at HS, having great conversations with all the cast members around world showcase (and great drinks!). AK, whats not to love about just roaming around and really stopping to enjoy the animals. On our trip last year a tiger got up from its nap and started walking around. This was so great to us, I mean its a cat THEY SLEEP ALL DAY. We started recorded it thinking it was going to do something amazing, and I guess it did, it came closer to the area we were standing and went to the bathroom. hahah gotta love mother nature!
alot of things we look forward to have nothing to do with ride but just the moments that we get to experience and share together.

Now, if you don't mind we have some rainbows and unicorns to get back to :grouphug:

Have a Magical Day! :thumbsup2

well put. I brought my unicorn and may have a spare if he needs it ;)

This is why Disney is so magical. It is not only about riding so many rides, but also the experiences that you cannot get anywhere else. Disney is much more than an amusement park - it is a way of being. That being is full of magic, happiness, and peace. From the first visit to Disney, I have been hooked!

:goodvibes

I cry during wishes every time!
I also love when they "blow out" the lights before illuminations!

I absolutely love when they blow the lights out!! Illuminations is a must do for me :goodvibes

I know I have already said this, but I am glad this thread is here. I am glad I have a place to come and get excited for my planning. I mean in just over 3 months we will be in the happiest place on earth :cloud9:

Love this thread!! :love:

We went to F&WF and MNSSHP last Oct/Nov and loved our MBs. They worked great (a little too convenient when it came to charging purchases :rotfl2:) and we thought they were very easy to use. We are not park "commandos" so getting 3 FP+ worked just fine for us, and with EMH we were able to ride headliners more than once. It was such a good trip I made plans for a solo adventure this Christmas! :banana:

Now that my generation have become empty nesters, we have lots of grandkids to start the magic all over with so I have even suggested having the family reunion (which is usually a cruise) be at F&W in 2015. Since we are Italian, our reunions always include lots of food and wine so might as well celebrate around the world! :lmao:

Lindaland...can I be adopted in to your:goodvibe family? lol.

We just got back on the 2 of Feb from 7 nights and aside from the weather we had a great time, bands were glitchy the first time we had to use them to get into the parks but after that they worked great. Loved being able to look at wait times on the app. If times were short we would go to a attraction that we had a FT+ early and change that FP+ to something else for later in the day. Worked out great! I have been going to the parks since the days of ticket booklets for attractions so have been thru all the changes and I think this one will work out great for us in the long run.

:thumbsup2

Haven't read all the responses, but I'm someway excited for the new FP+. We're arriving late may and I love that we won't have to run at RD to get certain fast passes we want. Of course I'm sure we still will because our favorite ride is BTMR. When we did WDW in Oct 2010, I always felt rushed and we always had to getup super early to make sure we got to RD and the rides we wanted. Now we have the flexibility of sleeping in a bit if we choose too. So I'm looking forward to the new experience :-)

DH and I go every year in Oct and this year is no exception. Although the trip is still months away, threads like this allow me to get excited despite all of the snow and ice we have been getting in PA. We love F&W so this is by far our favorite time of year to visit.
Disney is sooooooo much more than an amusement park - the rides are great - that goes without saying. That is only the tip of the iceberg for us though - we love it all and take time to take it all in. There are so many little details that make Disney completely unique - maybe those things aren't astounding on their own but when combined with all of the others - ahhhhh, simply MAGIC!!! pixiedust:
It's amazing to me that when DH and I pull up at the entrance of POR, we just feel like we are home. I hear the background music in the lobby and I'm done - pure bliss! :lovestruc And call me a sap but the first time each trip that I see Mickey - I can't help but get all misty - he's my favorite guy! And I still can't watch One Man's Dream without almost openly weeping - I love Walt!
(Insert rainbows and unicorns here)

Keep the good vibes coming!!!! Share your Disney magic- what makes it special for you - what makes you cry - what gives you goosebumps - join in on the fun!

I havent read every post on this thread, but here is how we are looking at this.
Ive been going with my daughter every year for the past 14 years.
We were there before FP even existed. I remember thinking when I saw the first FP sign on SM, why would I want to do that? What would I do for an hour while I waited?
DUH....
We then became FP- monsters, getting 5 or 6 in the morning, taking our break, and using them in the evening when we returned. We exploited the system to its full potential.
So now we are faced with the FP+ scenario. We will rope drop every park, figure where we are going in the evening, and make our selections based on where we will be in the evening.
Disney holds so many memories for us, that we will just roll with what happens. This is the last hurrah trip with my daughter before she heads off to college, and Im not about to let the new system put a damper on it. If it sucks, we will deal. It isnt going to keep me away from Disney, it isnt going to keep most people away from Disney, in fact, as we all know, the vast majority of people didnt even know fastpass existed, or how to use it.
This may just make it a more enjoyable experience for those who didnt understand, or use the system in its previous incarnation.
Those of us who were FP- experts, will again figure out how to use this to its full potential. We know enough about the World to get around what we need it for, what we dont need it for, and take advantage of rope drop to get done what we want in the morning, without FP, just like we always did.In fact, last year when they started enforcing the windows, was much worse than what I envision now.
If im going to the Studios at night, at least I know I have a ride on TSM, without standing in line for an hour(which I wouldnt do anyway)
Be a planner. Do what you have always done, except adapt to the way things are going to be. We all had a great run with the old system. Move on!!
As everyone else has already stated, its about more than the attractions. Im going to cry at Wishes like I always do. Im going to get a turkey leg everyday for lunch like we always do. Im going to get a dolewhip every afternoon like I always do. Im going to sit in the carousel of progress and remember my first trip when I was 14 like I always do. im going to draw characters with my daughter for a couple hours in DHS like we always do. Im going to play that foolish game at the end of Mission Space for an hour like we always do. Im going to make some poor first timer drink Beverly. My daughter is going to get that horrible marshmallow on a stick covered in MnM's
Im going to grab a red ruby out of the air in Philharmagic and hand it to her like I have for the past 10 years. Im going to trade pins all day long. Im going to sit on Main Street after Wishes with an ice cream cone, and talk to my daughter about nothing for an hour.

for us a big pro to the FP+ is on our check in & out days. it's a way to get some attractions & park time in with limited park time or during non-rope drop times.

for our upcoming trip it will be a mix of WDW/Universal/WDW so that means 4 check-in/out days. two of the other WDW days of our trip will be rope drop till close so we will be able to get attractions in early and do FP+ attractions later. so 6/11 of our days the FP+ will be a huge advantage for us at WDW, based on our planning. Combine that with 2 days of unlimited front of line passes at Universal and we are looking at 8/11 days pretty well covered. that leaves 3 other WDW days to 'suffer' with FP+ for full park days. of those 3 days, 1 will likely be a downtown Disney 'off' day. so now we are down to 2 days that are full park days with just the 3 FP+'s (assuming current system remains the same for December)

I love the positivity in this thread. Well, except for that one "grumpy Gus". I feel badly for the people that are so negative that they can't stand to see others satisfied. That can't be an enjoyable way to live.

Anyway, looking forward to my april trip.. Yup , WDW gets more of my money,lol.

So excited to hear some good reports from people who do The World like we do! A lot of times we were giving away our last FP so a limit of three is no biggy. We will go at rope drop most times, take a break at noon, hop to another park and use our FP+'s there. We will be there in March during Spring Break so I'm expecting pretty high crowds, can anyone report on how accurate the wait times on the MDE app are? That's my only worry!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter