Don't cancel your vacations yet!!!

dansyr2514

DIS Veteran
This thread is being started for all the rest of us who still find Disney magical despite the recent changes. Let's think we are the "the glass is half full" group.
I'm seeing so many threads showing all negativity to the parks, and I fear that those who have never had a chance to experience the magic may decide not to based on all the complaints. So this thread is all about the magic we are still experiencing at the parks. Please share any and all positive experiences here. The kind of experiences that keep you coming back.
All the "cons' are being posted. Let's post all the "pros" here.:cool1:

We've had several great MB trips since the system rolled out- one for the Wine and Dine, one long weekend in December with my mom, and a babymoon trip last week. It's different, but the sky isn't falling- we love WDW and would go back even if there were no FPs!

Interestingly I was listening to the WDW Today podcast last night and Len (I think it was Len) reported that the staff at Touring Plans had been running the numbers and they found that while yes you do spend more time waiting in lines, that you also saved time criss crossing the park getting FPs, resulting in these times cancelling out.

An example of a good day using FPP

RD at DHS, ride TSM, ride RnRc 2x, FPP for TSM, FPP for ToT, standby Star Tours, FPP Star Tours, Animation Academy, walk over to EPCOT have lunch at Le Cellier, midday nap, back to EPCOT for dinner around the world- we love these days!

Disney is unlike any other vacation! From the moment you set foot on their property, you are immersed in Disney. The outside world largely just vanishes for the duration of your vacation. Disney takes care of everything from food to transportation, entertainment, housekeeping. It is all taken care of for you.

Nearly every day at Disney ends with some kind of fireworks display, which to me is a very special ending to any day. There is a parade at 3 of the four parks. Where else can you see parades nearly every day? Then there are the interactions between the kids (and sometimes the adults) and the characters. There is still plenty of magic to be had in Disney World.

And, for those getting so worked up about Fast Pass + . .. well, I really think you need to take a step back, breathe a little, and wait for them to get the system FINISHED before you get that upset about it.

I just got back from Orlando and I have to say it was probably one of our best trips yet.

I heard horror stories about the replacement to the GAC, especially trouble with GS CM"s refusing to issue them but I had no problems at all.

The FP+ system, while different allowed me to sync my fast passes with some friends in Orlando before we even hit the park, and when we needed to change them, it was onto the phone app, a few clicks and away.

And I loved the magicbands, and the fact I could link my AP to it. Which led to being able to use my AP as a charge card which freaked out a few CMs who's never seen this and tried to swipe it like a gift card! :)

Is it different, yes, but bad, certainly not!

I'm with the glass half full crowd. I loved my last trip and will definitely be going again.

My recent trip to parks in December of 2013 was one of the most magical yet. I used fastpass plus and loved it. Believe me, I was not looking forward to it when I first heard about it. I had no problems obtaining fastpasses for rides I wanted. I was even able to change them at the time they were scheduled for a time that worked better, as we often get distracted by food, performers, food, etc.:) The think I like most about fastpass was I actually was able to get a fastpass for Toy Story Mania before 6pm and I didn't have to get to the park a rope drop and fight the running of the bulls towards the fastpass machines!!!

Now, off the famous fast pass plus topic. I have to say, I haven't seen the castmembers as excited or engaging in a long time. Not they they were ever bad, but It seemed in the last 3 or 4 years that maybe the magic had dwindled for them a little. BTW...shout out to Ally on the Jingle Cruise. We had more than one conversation during our trip about Ally and that she was the best Jungle/Jingle Cruise captain we've ever had!

In a few weeks, I'll be taking my dancers down for a competition. My girls are between 5 and 7. I can't wait to share the magic through their eyes. So, keep the positivity flowing!:cool1:

I haven't tried the new system yet, but wanted to subscribe so I can get some positive feedback for our upcoming trip! Hopefully, things will stay positive here and I'll be able to contribute when we get back in June!

The true test for me was Christmas Day. I booked my three FP+ at Epcot, and a late lunch CP package for the processional. Christmas Day is notoriously crowded, but to me it felt like a regular day instead of a peak day. Either I was just ahead of everyone or just behind them, or circled around them - I don't know which. But by the time I did a little shopping, my three rides, a leisurely lunch and the show, it was a great day and I didn't feel like a sardine in a can or a salmon swimming upstream like I normally would on a holiday. I didn't have the frustration of long standby lines, and I didn't have to fight the crowd to get a FP before they ran out for the day either. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it works just fine for me.

I also have to say I've had four trips during the testing period, and the system works better every time. So while I understand anyone who wants to wait until testing is finished to come back, it's still possible to have a great time while they put the final touches on it.

Aw this is a great thread!! While I admit to being nervous planning for an oh-so-busy June trip, :crowded: I absolutely love the excitement and anticipation and then finally arriving and feeling "Ahhhhhh, nothing in the world matters for right now". Disney has amazing headliners and attractions but there is honestly just so so so so much more - the resorts, the food, the shows, the CM's...every sight, smell, sound and taste make for a one-of-a-kind experience, even after 12 trips! :lovestruc

WDW, and the memories associated, mean so much to me. Our 2 week trip in January, using only FP+, was a huge success - and we are Disney vets who "abused" the FP- system to the max.

Our love for WDW is not diminished, and we have planned our next two trips already.

To the OP - thanks for starting this thread. :goodvibes

Pros: No more fumbling for room keys to open room or charge a purchase or use dining plan credits.

No more worry to about losing fast passes.

Some say it was a con to not Remember times. I resolved this by taking a picture of my schedule with my phone.

My kids love lining up Mickey to Mickey.

The new way, you can change your FP+ times if you need to. Perhaps this is easier on a low crowd day. But we found it handy when we began running behind. With legacy, we were "committed" to the luck of the draw.

We had stayed on property but did not buy tix until our park day at 7am. We had our computer with is and were able to hop on and book FP+. I imagine my smart phone would have worked as well. (A suggestion for future would be to have a FP+ kiosk at the resorts for those who do not travel with laptop or even own a smartphone.) But the option of the kiosks at the parks works in a pinch.

Overall--we liked it. It is very different, but we choose to embrace the positive. Due to family size, it is too costly for is to take advantage of FOTL access at Universal. I would like to see Disney offer an additional perk for on site guests of either 1 or 2 more attractions or the ability to book 2 parks. But overall, the new way isn't bad--just different.

I just have to add...although it was a little more pre planning.....which being the Disney lover I am was not necessarily a bad thing..lol:goodvibes....

Once you were in the parks, it was pretty much carefree. We didn't rush to get anywhere. And if something didn't work once we were there, out came the smartphone and it could be changed. I think that is a huge benefit if say your meal is running longer than anticipated. There's no rushing so you don't lose your faspass time....or no running to the other side of the park to get a new fastpass and wait all over again.

I just have to add...although it was a little more pre planning.....which being the Disney lover I am was not necessarily a bad thing..lol:goodvibes....

Once you were in the parks, it was pretty much carefree. We didn't rush to get anywhere. And if something didn't work once we were there, out came the smartphone and it could be changed. I think that is a huge benefit if say your meal is running longer than anticipated. There's no rushing so you don't lose your faspass time....or no running to the other side of the park to get a new fastpass and wait all over again.

this is something we like too

We love planning for vacations- so the extra planning ahead of time wasn't a big deal.

As you said- days at the park were laid back- I had to retrain myself not to run for TSM at RD for a legacy FP (we still hurried over there to ride, but didn't have to sprint like we used to get a FP and still be one of the first on the ride). It was easy to change FPP reservations on the fly using the app.

I'm actually excited to try the Magic Bands and FastPass+. No more worrying about whether I have the paper fast pass or not.:goodvibes

I am so excited to go with the new FP+ system. I think I am most excited about having my FPs before I start my day. I know Im going to get to ride TMM at HS, Ive never been able to do that. The line is always more then an hour long and the FP is always sold out even if we get there for RD.

On our last trip, we used the app to look at wait times constantly and it was extremely handy. We like to go with the flow on vacation, so the FP+ concept is perfect for us. I kept saying while we were there that I wish it was in place because it would have made it so much easier than running from one end of the park to the other. I am so excited to use FP+ for our trip in May and the changes have not diminished my Disney vacation!

This is a great thread!

:dance3:

I think people who are prematurely judging the system or saying that they aren't coming back after 30 years were either tired of the parks anyway and needed a break, or will actually be back anyway.

Well, how about this. After the last half of 2013 fell apart for me personally (hospital stay, long recovery at home, being off work for two months and since I ran out of PTO, one month was not paid, my father entering his final stages of life and he passed in December, going through a very tough year end closing at work), I finally decided my husband and I needed a freaking break so we looked to the one place we can get it - Disney World.

We are annual passholders so entry to the parks is taken care of. We looked at the Flower and Garden Festival's Flower Power series of concerts and decided to see a favorite of ours - The Guess Who. So, I hurried to see what kind of great early spring discounts I could get and...... that weekend is not available. So - offsite here we come. Yep - offsite and Annual Passholders so no chance to prebook FastPass +. And we don't really care.

We will be there from Thursday to Monday and the only thing we care about is seeing the band. The way we figure is Disney World is so much more than just the rides. It's the entire experience. We can easily go to Animal Kingdom and do nothing more than all the walking trails and take the train out to Rafiki's Planet Watch and see Flights of Wonder we are happy. We can walk around World Showcase five times in a row and see fifty different things. We can take a table at the pizza take out place on the Boardwalk, sit there and watch and listen to people and the boats and be in bliss.

Disney World has so many small moments for us that in the end, they all add up to a big fantastic time.

Well, how about this. After the last half of 2013 fell apart for me personally (hospital stay, long recovery at home, being off work for two months and since I ran out of PTO, one month was not paid, my father entering his final stages of life and he passed in December, going through a very tough year end closing at work), I finally decided my husband and I needed a freaking break so we looked to the one place we can get it - Disney World.

We are annual passholders so entry to the parks is taken care of. We looked at the Flower and Garden Festival's Flower Power series of concerts and decided to see a favorite of ours - The Guess Who. So, I hurried to see what kind of great early spring discounts I could get and...... that weekend is not available. So - offsite here we come. Yep - offsite and Annual Passholders so no chance to prebook FastPass +. And we don't really care.

We will be there from Thursday to Monday and the only thing we care about is seeing the band. The way we figure is Disney World is so much more than just the rides. It's the entire experience. We can easily go to Animal Kingdom and do nothing more than all the walking trails and take the train out to Rafiki's Planet Watch and see Flights of Wonder we are happy. We can walk around World Showcase five times in a row and see fifty different things. We can take a table at the pizza take out place on the Boardwalk, sit there and watch and listen to people and the boats and be in bliss.

Disney World has so many small moments for us that in the end, they all add up to a big fantastic time.

I'm so sorry for your loss! :flower3::flower3:
I agree with what you're saying though. One of the best trips I've had, we never even went to the parks some days. We enjoyed our resort (Beach Club) and met some really great people just hanging out there.

We have taken two trips using magic bands/FP+ and loved it! We have two small children and having a fast pass runner meant one of us was left to corral the kiddos. Not anymore with FP+! We were able to have a few non RD mornings and still ride our favorites. Hubs and I are taking a 3 nt trip in Sept and I am so excited to arrive mid-afternoon our first day and still have FP rides. I can't stress enough how much we love it, especially with two small kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter