• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does your family think your nuts?

Mickey'sApprentice

Shamelessly demand, it works bette
In January '06 DH and I bought 100 BWV points resale.

We both love Disney, and before joining had vacationed at WDW in '92, '94, '02, & '05, and stayed at The Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge.

We are lovin' our DVC purchase. We've spent 3 days at HH, 5 days at BWV with my extended family, and now 4 days at BWV again. However, my family thinks we have completely lost our marbles.

I know its not about what they think, but I'm reluctant to share my happiness with them. Although we treated them to BWV last April, (or maybe because of it) they still think we've lost our minds.

I've not even dared to tell my Dad.

Anyway...I know that I'm preaching to the choir, but I'd appreciate a little validation.

Does your parents or siblings think you've lost it?

:surfweb:

My parents usually go with us and they took us a lot growing up, so they think it's great. However, my DH's family does make comments, so we just don't mention it around them.

There are those who get it and those who don't. Just remember, everybody on the DIS thinks you're perfectly normal.:grouphug:

Okay, that sounds really cheesy and sappy ,but there you go.:banana:

Funny you should mention that. I paid a sympathy visit to my brother's family this weekend. You know the type: 2 working parents, 4 gradeschooler kids, a disabled grandparent living in household. They are so busy with the "gradeschool grind" they've forgotten what it is to travel. (A vacation is going to the IKEA store.)

Meanwhile here comes my dad and I. Both single and with jobs that allow us to set our own schedules. So we've been taking advantage of that and travelling wherever our hearts desire for as long as our bodies are able to keep up.

We hadn't seen my brother's family in near 3 months because we've been traveling. (We do talk on the phone, however, and have made video calls from our travels.) So we go over to just spend some quality time, watch Sunday football, have dinner, and I bring my video slideshow of our two most recent trips (Disney for Halloween and London).

The kids all voiced repeated requests to go with us next trip and the parents have taken to calling us the traveling gypsies. In the end, I think they view our lifestyle with equal parts envy and complete bafflement. The idea that someone can not be a slave to a school schedule is just alien to them.

As for me, I think I have become the Auntie Mame of the family. Always traveling, meeting exotic people and having dozens of adventurous tales to tell. Oh well, life's a banquet...etc.!

Not my family, but I think that my boss at work may think that. At my work, most people who smile would have their face crack. They do not understand. On well.

We're the parents, and we do have a DS and family who "understand" but one that doesn't. His most wonderful vacations have involved traveling by local transportation and backpacking through South America. His next involves 2 months in SE Asia. He writes the funniest tavelogues to extended family, and I try hard not to worry.

If I had to describe what he feels like with our buying so many points (775)...it woud be akin to selling our soul to a devil. My mistake was bringing him on a Keys to the Kingdom tour 10 years ago, and he felt our very enthusiastic guide, was a bit nuts in her admiration of Disney. DH and I thought the guide was just what she should be, someone who liked her job, her company she worked for, and was doing what she liked.

I have invited both DS's and others to our 40th celebration at VB and WDW next year and he and his love are coming. (She's more willing to come to WDW with us...looks forward to coming). Except for skiing trips, I don't think we could use our points to his delight, pleasure. He walks to a different drummer...we love him...I do have to gently remind him that we all are different...accept it! If he invited us to go to Cambodia with him next month, I would decline. He wants to work in Australia (he works in the oil industry) and frankly, I am not sure I could visit him due to the air travel times.

Bobbi:goodvibes

We've owned over a year and have added-on twice since original purchase. No one in our extended family knows! They already think we're nutcakes.:rotfl2: This would only solidify it - in their opinion - not ours!

I thought they would and hesitated to tell them...but they didn't seem to really raise their eyebrows and enjoy the perks of coming on vacation with us. Since, when we take them, we have our AP's and our AP discounts, get the dining plan, use our DVC perks, and usually pay for most things....they are happy campers (and since the details about what's a DVC perk, what's AP discount, what's something else are beyond them...they think it's alll DVC).

Also, it's my money.......so I think they figure that it is really none of their business.

I wouldn't say that my family thinks we're nuts, but I'm sure they don't understand why we keep going back to WDW so much. But then again, I have one brother who goes to the beach to the same place 2-3 times a year and I don't understand that. We have four trips planned to WDW over the next year and I'm not going to tell them because mainly it's really none of their business. I'll just tell them the week before that we're going to be out of town and they can reach us on our cell phones in case of an emergency. We're way past the stage of needing anyones approval.

In January '06 DH and I bought 100 BWV points resale.

We both love Disney, and before joining had vacationed at WDW in '92, '94, '02, & '05, and stayed at The Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge.

We are lovin' our DVC purchase. We've spent 3 days at HH, 5 days at BWV with my extended family, and now 4 days at BWV again. However, my family thinks we have completely lost our marbles.

I know its not about what they think, but I'm reluctant to share my happiness with them. Although we treated them to BWV last April, (or maybe because of it) they still think we've lost our minds.

I've not even dared to tell my Dad.

Anyway...I know that I'm preaching to the choir, but I'd appreciate a little validation.

:surfweb:

Some people, mainly aquaintances, just don't 'get' it, but luckily my husband does and is happy to traipse along. I also have a best friend of 21 years who is the same way as I am about Disney. Funny though..she is holding off on DVC and wants to see how I like it..she had a time share years ago, and hated it.
Our extended family don't really get it either, but they've learned that's how it is. Our kids will continue the nutty Disney fan tradition I'm sure.

We get the comments all the time, but they sure don't mind when they travel with us on our points. DH is always saying we have enough points for us, we just have too much family that enjoys them too.

My office really thinks we're crazy!

Yeah.. we hear the "You're going to Disney.. AGAIN???" from various people.

But going on vacation is about doing what you and your family enjoy. We do other things now and then. Maybe also try the Adventures by Disney. But have fun doing "your" thing.. not what someone else thinks "your thing" should be.

:cloud9:

work and family both know I am Disney nut. that is a fact live with it.

get asked advice here at work.

family - well my brother and I both got the bug in 1972 when grandmother tooks us until she died.

couldn't go back - though it was more expensive than it was - until 1983 (when it was expensive). then really started going very year in the late 1980's - brought in 1993. so we were seasonal disney lovers by then.

now my older brother could carry less about Disney and anything to do with Disney.

he just likes his home. He retired when he was 50. wish I could. but disney is expensive. best to plan for it now - then retire and find that I couldn't enjoy my favorite place in the world because of money issues.

Thanks guys!

I knew you could cheer me up!

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one that lives life outside the box, with relatives scratching their heads saying, "Why isn't she in the box?"

Me and DH don't have kids, and since I'm 38 its not looking favorable. My niece and nephews see me as Auntie Mame as well.

For BroganMc, may I suggest ~ Take the little buggers with you on a trip to Disney. They will love it, and you will build allies in your quest, but...from past experience...please leave the parents at home!

For BroganMc, may I suggest ~ Take the little buggers with you on a trip to Disney. They will love it, and you will build allies in your quest, but...from past experience...please leave the parents at home!

After hearing BroganMc's last trip report, I wouldn't suggest anytime soon!

Certifiable. The add-on clinched it.

Why stop at just family, my friends and nieghbors all think we are the Disney Freaks. I have not told anyone at work, nor do I tell them that I go to Disny for vacation. I have to live a double life, like a secret agent or something.

Now we have made converts of my brother and his wife. Went took them last New Years and they loved it and can't wait to go back!

We just got back last week with our nieghbors and they too are converts. We are having dinner tonight to discuss them joining DVC. I'm not going to sell it, I just want them to understand the pros and cons of DVC ownership.

After hearing BroganMc's last trip report, I wouldn't suggest anytime soon!

What does BroganMc do? Does he lose his luggage and all his valuables or drink his way around Epcot, or both? Just Curious.

I was really quite serious about taking the small fry. Its a different experience, but quite nice.

I was delighted to hear my 6 year old nephew say, "I'm at Disney, pinch me!" :love: This is the same kid that cried when it was time to leave MK. :cool1:

I was not delighted to hear my 8 year old niece say nonchallantly, "Its ok, I guess, but it really is too expensive." :eek: I know I didn't put that in her head, and I know she didn't come up with that on her own.:mad:

Again, leave the non-Disney parents at home!!

I don't get it from my familoy, but my co-workers don't get it. They don't get why I go to Disney two or three (or more) times a year.

We've owned for about 2 years.

None of our extended family knows. They just think we are rich by staying at the Beach Club and wonder why we don't stay at a cheap hotel instead. They will never get it.

She just had a hectic day, one that did not go as expected! I am sure she would take her nieces and nephews again soon, just need some time to recover! Click on the thread below and see post #36.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1612785&page=3

O.K., this just proves my point. Take the kids and for Pete's sake...leave the sister at home. It wasn't the kids fault that her sister took 1 1/2 hours to get coffee. Ultimately, its not our business.

That post sounds so much like the trip I had with my sisters. I've decided in the future, if they go back, it will be without me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter