Does anyone else miss the spontaneity

I don't know if the people who are trying to see Anna and Elsa will agree with you on that. You have to either get a rare FP+ appointment or wait in line for 3 to 5 hours. That is just insane.

Agreed. I think you left out the words "on the stroke of midnight Eastern time between the words 'appointment' and 'or' ;)

Insane indeed.

I don't know if the people who are trying to see Anna and Elsa will agree with you on that. You have to either get a rare FP+ appointment or wait in line for 3 to 5 hours. That is just insane.

And I have tried to walk into a restaurant at a flexible hour and do that. It does happen but it has become a lot more rare.

And how long was the wait in Epcot for A&E before it was an FP+ experience? People chose to wait 3+ hours. And I agree...insane!

I *think* that this new system will also have Disney seeing guests add another day to their trips to get more done. I agree that visitors are not getting quite the amount in that they used to so feel like another day would do it. That's another day of food, shopping, hotel, etc that add$ up quite nicely for the company.

All this pre-planning has taken some of the fun out of Disney for us. We would often play bus roulette- getting on whichever park bus came in first. We had a lot of great experiences that way - including some unexpected wonderful surprises.
The only time we planned ahead of time the park that we would go to was during special events such as F&G, F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, Osbourne lights, etc.
When we went to Disney this past April (around the same time we always go), there were lines everywhere - including the kiosks and fast pass lanes. As previously stated, there were long waits for rides that virtually walk the years before. There were lines at the kiosks to book FP+ - which looked like you had a half hour or more wait just to book a FP+.
Since FP+ is now open to everyone for booking at least 30 days out, it looks like our carefree, do what strikes us in the moment days, are over.
We are regular Disney visitors holding AP's for the past 7 years and visting at least 3 times or more a year even though we live over 1200 miles away from Disney - sometimes deciding as little as 2 weeks beforehand to go. Based on our last trip, we found that some of the magic that we experienced from spontaniety is gone.

I *think* that this new system will also have Disney seeing guests add another day to their trips to get more done. I agree that visitors are not getting quite the amount in that they used to so feel like another day would do it. That's another day of food, shopping, hotel, etc that add$ up quite nicely for the company.

That was my husband's first reaction when I described it all to him.

I still contend that most people take their vacation a week at a time and really can't easily just add on a few more days. And honestly, I just flat out refuse to spend more days (and more money) at Disney just to try and do what we used to do in less time.

I love planning ADRs, but I feel like that is different, simply because it's easy to come and go for meals. (At least for me.)

However, if all of you want spontaneity, and don't want to plan ahead... then don't

I'm not trying to sound rude, but I've been with several different people to WDW like....4 separate times since FEBRUARY of this year, and no matter how much in advance I have booked the trip, I didn't get one FP+ ahead of time. If I got there and crowds were bad, I would just go in to the app and organize it for myself and others later in the day, and I never once had a problem with getting all the FPs that I wanted...but even in those cases, I grabbed them just in case, and didn't let them control any of us. Most of the time, when our window rolled around, *we'd already been on the ride. So it was just extra during what might be a busy time for the ride!
If you think that isn't 'spontaneous' because something was still planned...then you should probably rethink what it's like to actually be at Disney; *half way through the day, you definitely know what the rest of your day is going to be like as far as what you'll do for meals, and where you'll be in the parks. There's a difference between spontaneity and aimless-ness.

The only exceptions there are at the moment are 7DMT and Frozen Meet and Greet. (Excluding ADRs, because I really just don't think they are a problem. Restaurants are just that, especially nice ones. I for one am glad they dont shove people in and out like they do on rides.) If you want to be spontaneous and get in a 3 hour line, I won't stop you. But you have to be reasonable and know that these are brand new rides, in parks that see upwards of 40,000 people on any given day, who also wanted to do that exact thing on their vacation. If you want to do that, but not wait in line, I think it's fair to expect you to book that experience far in advance. There's going to be a day when you won't have to, but if you want it NOW then I don't think that's too much to ask, because apparently it is that important to you.

Anyway, rant over. It's sad to see all of you bummed out over this new system. But I feel more spontaneous than ever now that I'm not with a group of people that checks the clock constantly so they know when they have to run across the park to go print out FP- To each their own, I suppose.

I love planning ADRs, but I feel like that is different, *simply because it's easy to come and go for meals. (At least for me.)

However, if all of you want spontaneity, and don't want to plan ahead... then *don't* *

I'm not trying to sound rude, but I've been (with. several different people) to WDW like....4 separate times since FEBRUARY of this year, and no matter how much in advance I have booked the trip, I didn't get one FP+ ahead of time. If I got there and crowds were bad, I would just go in to the app and organize it for myself and others later in the day, and I never once had a problem with getting all the FPs that I wanted...but even in those cases, I grabbed them just in case, and didn't let them control any of us. Most of the time, when our window rolled around, *we'd already been on the ride. So it was just extra during what might be a busy time for the ride!
If you think that isn't 'spontaneous' because something was still planned...then you should probably rethink what it's like to actually be at Disney; *half way through the day, *you definitely know what the rest of your day is going to be like as far as what you'll do for meals, and where you'll be in the parks. There's a difference between spontaneity and aimless-ness. *

The only exceptions there are at the moment are 7DMT and Frozen Meet and Greet. (Excluding ADRs, because I really just don't think they are a problem. Restaurants are just that, *especially nice ones. I for one am glad they dont shove people in and out like they do on rides.) If you want to be spontaneous and get in a 3 hour line, I won't stop you. But you have to be reasonable and know that these are brand new rides, in parks that see upwards of 40,000 people on any given day, who also wanted to do that exact thing on their vacation. If you want to do that, *but not wait in line, I think it's fair to expect you to book that experience far in advance. There's going to be a day when you won't have to, but if you want it NOW then I don't think that's too much to ask, because apparently it is that important to you.

Anyway, *rant over. It's sad to see all of you bummed out over this new system. But I feel more spontaneous than ever now that I'm not with a group of people that checks the clock constantly so they know when they have to run across the park to go print out FP- To each their own, I suppose.

Honestly, if I could go 4 times in 3 months, I wouldn't be caught up in whether I could do one particular attraction or another. But I would get maybe one day in Epcot all year. Maybe one day every couple of years. If I miss one of the big attractions, I can't just go back next month and catch it then.

I think frequency of visits really makes a difference in how willing you are to take chances on missing some things.

mom2rtk said:
Honestly, if I could go 4 times in 3 months, I wouldn't be caught up in whether I could do one particular attraction or another. But I would get maybe one day in Epcot all year. Maybe one day every couple of years. If I miss one of the big attractions, I can't just go back next month and catch it then.

I think frequency of visits really makes a difference in how willing you are to take chances on missing some things.

It would be wise then for me to say, I don't go to Disney all the time. I don't live that close. This was a different situation because I was in Florida for different reasons, and ended up there several times because I had some money saved up.

So this wasn't a matter of me not being 'rushed' because I get the be there whenever I want. I was using that as an example of how many times I was able to experience the MM+ system so far.

This makes a very big difference. I see this a lot in the attitudes of the bloggers/chatterers on all things WDW. A lot of them seem to think FP+ is great, or at least ok and seem genuinely surprised at the negative reaction to FP+. Yet they either live in Orlando or go numerous times throughout the year. I don't think it's malicious, but a huge blind spot in their thinking.

I think the big surprise in this is how much FP+ helps local APs.

I never have equated a trip to WDW with spontaneity but regardless one can be as spontaneous as they would like at Disney. People do it all the time but it does come with tradeoffs especially the busier times of year.

But when I think about having to make ADRs 6 months in advance at Disney for a desired restaurant, I compare it to other trips I have made and having to book in advance:

1. Alcatraz in San Francisco. You cant be spontaneous and show up at the dock in summer and expect to be able to get a ticket.
2. Popular luau in Maui. I had to book 3 months in advance.
3. Staying in a property onsite at the Grand Canyon in the summer. I had to book a year in advance.
4. I am going to NYC in a few weeks and have been trying to snag a ticket to see Jimmy Fallon and Tonight show. havent been successful. Being spontaneous means I will now need to wait in long lines if I want to have a chance of getting a ticket.
5. Same with certain Broadway shows in NYC.

The list goes on. Wherever you go, spontaneity comes with a tradeoff especially if you hit popular travel spots in their high seasons.

There is a big difference between one "item" as part of the trip, and the whole trip. On a usual trip we might book our hotel, or timeshare, or a specific restaurant etc. in order to get our dates. We are not however booking the time we want breakfast ea day, and dinner, and the restaurant, and what time to go for a walk, and the beach and what time to go to the beach, and which beach, and what time to go shopping, and when to go sightseeing etc etc etc. Btw, been to Maui almost 30 times, no luau has ever existed that has to be booked more than a few days in advance during peak times (unless there is a brand new one I'm not aware of). Was there something different about this one ? Special event maybe?

ArwenMarie said:
This makes a very big difference. I see this a lot in the attitudes of the bloggers/chatterers on all things WDW. A lot of them seem to think FP+ is great, or at least ok and seem genuinely surprised at the negative reaction to FP+. Yet they either live in Orlando or go numerous times throughout the year. I don't think it's malicious, but a huge blind spot in their thinking.

I think the big surprise in this is how much FP+ helps local APs.

In no way do I think the system is great, I'm not blind to it's flaws. Nor do I go all the time, or have an AP.

But if everyone has such a problem with it, why use it? It's not going anywhere, but that doesn't mean you have to spend all your time messing with FP+ or ADRs.

If you are the kind of person who wants to get everything done, you'd generally be the kind of person that plans ahead. I'd think youd appreciate having this system in the palm of your hands.

There is a big difference between one "item" as part of the trip, and the whole trip. On a usual trip we might book our hotel, or timeshare, or a specific restaurant etc. in order to get our dates. We are not however booking the time we want breakfast ea day, dinner, the restaurant, what time to go for a walk, the beach etc etc etc. Btw, been to Maui almost 30 times, no luau has ever existed that has to be booked more than a few days in advance during peak times (unless there is a brand new one I'm not aware of). Was there something different about this one ? Special event maybe?

And you dont have to book rides at Disney either if you choose not to.

As far as Maui luaus:

https://www.oldlahainaluau.com/reservations

Depending on your desired seating, you will not be able to book if you wait a few days before hand. Ex...if you wanted to sit at a table with chairs instead of traditional sitting on the ground, the earliest you could get a reservation as of right now is July 5th.

But I would get maybe one day in Epcot all year.
I said this upthread, but...

During the second half of our Spring Break week, we were able to get FP+ for many headliners (including Test Track) the night before going to the park, with a reasonable set of times from which to pick. This was about two weeks after offsite guests had the ability to pre-book, so a busy time with full FP+ implementation.

There were some times that were tough---we had to take a Splash Mountain time later in the day for our last MK day, and I'd've probably been shut out of TSMM or a few other things if I had tried for them, but still. We did the same thing with ADRs for the second half of the week---all booked the night before or day of.

So, the truth is somewhere between "no spontaneity at all, must plan months in advance" and "do whatever you want whenever with no downsides." Sort of like it always has been.

So, the truth is somewhere between "no spontaneity at all, must plan months in advance" and "do whatever you want whenever with no downsides." Sort of like it always has been.

I agree with that mostly. Except that under the old system you had complete choice of FPs if you were there at rope drop (which we mostly were). Now you just don't know if that will be the case until you get there, use your 3 and see what's left.

If you were a power user under the old system you could be certain of doing what you wanted to do. Now you *might* be able to do what you want. Some people are good with investing all that money for might, some are not. That's why we're heading west for the second year in a row.

Now you just don't know if that will be the case until you get there, use your 3 and see what's left.
I'm not sure that today is all that much different from The Good Old Days. You can bet on at least two trips on a favorite attraction by getting there at rope drop for one, and using an advance FP+ for another. If you use up your three FP+s early enough you've got a fighting chance at a third---especially if you move them up as you go.

That's about the best you could have done in the old days anyway for the super-headliners like Soarin' or TSMM, at least during a busier time of year.

The flip side, of course, is that the new system seems to be more broadly used than the old one was---at least, so Disney claims. Then again, those claims are made during investor conference calls, times during which it is quite costly to be found telling untruths.

In any event, now that I've personally experienced the Brave New World during a peak-attendance period, I did find it a *little* less beneficial to me personally than the old system was, but only a little. If at the same time many more guests really are using the system and benefitting from it, that's going to be good for Disney in the end. And improvement in return on investment for Disney is good for Disney park fans, because it helps them justify further investments in the parks, in ways big and small. One early example is the HUB expansion. That's not something they'll ever be able to market, but it will definitely make for a more pleasant evening during crowded times.

Edited to add: on reflection, I still think that enforcing return times was a MUCH bigger change for power-users than FP+ is. And, now that Disneyland enforces them as well, I found myself using many fewer FPs there than I did before. DLRP always has enforced their times, and they only use 30 minute windows---that created a couple of really tricky bits when I was trying to time a Big Thunder pull before heading back to the Sequoia Lodge for a break. But, if you have to kill time at DL-Paris, you can at least retreat to Colonel Hathi's for a beer.

I love planning ADRs, but I feel like that is different, simply because it's easy to come and go for meals. (At least for me.) However, if all of you want spontaneity, and don't want to plan ahead... then don't I'm not trying to sound rude, but I've been with several different people to WDW like....4 separate times since FEBRUARY of this year, and no matter how much in advance I have booked the trip, I didn't get one FP+ ahead of time. If I got there and crowds were bad, I would just go in to the app and organize it for myself and others later in the day, and I never once had a problem with getting all the FPs that I wanted...but even in those cases, I grabbed them just in case, and didn't let them control any of us. Most of the time, when our window rolled around, *we'd already been on the ride. So it was just extra during what might be a busy time for the ride! If you think that isn't 'spontaneous' because something was still planned...then you should probably rethink what it's like to actually be at Disney; *half way through the day, you definitely know what the rest of your day is going to be like as far as what you'll do for meals, and where you'll be in the parks. There's a difference between spontaneity and aimless-ness. The only exceptions there are at the moment are 7DMT and Frozen Meet and Greet. (Excluding ADRs, because I really just don't think they are a problem. Restaurants are just that, especially nice ones. I for one am glad they dont shove people in and out like they do on rides.) If you want to be spontaneous and get in a 3 hour line, I won't stop you. But you have to be reasonable and know that these are brand new rides, in parks that see upwards of 40,000 people on any given day, who also wanted to do that exact thing on their vacation. If you want to do that, but not wait in line, I think it's fair to expect you to book that experience far in advance. There's going to be a day when you won't have to, but if you want it NOW then I don't think that's too much to ask, because apparently it is that important to you. Anyway, rant over. It's sad to see all of you bummed out over this new system. But I feel more spontaneous than ever now that I'm not with a group of people that checks the clock constantly so they know when they have to run across the park to go print out FP- To each their own, I suppose.

You can't just say don't plan. We are going to WDW to have fun and do the most we can. Disney makes you plan ahead to do that.

I'll date myself even more... when I first started going to WDW, we didn't have to plan which park to go to because there was ONLY the Magic Kingdom!

And the only ADR we ever made was for King Stefan's Banquet Hall (former name of Cinderella's Royal Table). You couldn't get in there for dinner without a reservation and you had to plan that in advance by showing up at the restaurant THAT MORNING to make your dinner reservation for that night.

Ah, the good old days. ;)

Yes! We made our reservation in the morning, and I remember thinking it was a hassle at the time. :rotfl2:

I see some people are pleased with fastpass plus and I am glad it works out for them. We never backtracked across the park or hurried from one place to another for fastpasses because it just didn't suit the way we do the parks, so being able to schedule them instead of just walking up and grabbing one isn't going to do much for me.

Change is inevitable so I will get used to it. I do agree that Universal is much easier to be spontaneous at! Lets face it, I had trouble wrapping my mind around the idea of fastpasses when they first started. We took a great trip to Disneyland at New Year's one year, and had unlimited fastpasses. That meant we could have all fastpasses for every ride that offered them, all at the same time, and just make a circuit of the park going from one ride to the next and using FP. Every time we used one we would grab a new one. It was a blast.

I was glad we had our dining reservations because the other years, we didn't, and we were left pretty unsatisfied with quick service... It also gave me something to look forward too (plus it was a fantasmic package with the vouchers, like a fast pass and an awesome dinner all in one....)

We were SO grateful that we had the fast pass reservations we did, because we had a park plan on a ridiculously busy day and we wouldn't have been able to ride anything during the day. Our biggest caveat came from choosing RR over TSMM and that we had to wait 80 min even at 7:30 at night to ride it...

Otherwise the planning part of things was perfect. We still had time to fit in our Animation class, our Voyage Lil Mermaid, or even Great Movie ride and a great GF Pizza Planet lunch in between our fast passes...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter