Does anyone else get put off by the HIGH cost of the dinners/character meals?

FairyDust2008

DIS Veteran
The more research I do on the dining choices, the more frustrated I guess I become, :surfweb: It just seems outrageously priced:scared1: Most of the meals are 120.00 plus just for one meal for 4 people including 2 children who are only ages 9 and 11. We as adults can't even eat our money's worth of food for that price and our kids most definitely can't. With ticket prices, souvenirs, hotel costs, etc etc............you name it-WOW:scared1: I know that it is Disney but it seems it getting less "FAMILY" friendly by these high costs and the thing is...........................I hear/read reviews all the time of how substandard and not so special the food is and that is just an incredible amount of money to get substandard food/service. Sorry for the rant but the more I looked into it, I was just amazed. Now like the theme park tickets-that is ok..........the resort is ok..........because you pick what you can afford, etc.....The meals isn't so much that you can't afford it but it is the principle of how your money is being spent, ya know? Like I would rather put that money towards cool souvenirs, experiences, etc. We are staying at the AKL and I can validate that expense with the EXPERIENCE of being in Orlando and seeing such cool animals that make you feel like you are indeed in a safari in Africa. The Sunrise Safari, I can see the price on that to get the
1st hand look up close at the animals and talk personally with the guides more in depth and having the breakfast included. I dunno...........I think the big thing is mostly with the kids and the cost of them being treated like adults pricewise for food that they can't possibly eat their money's worth. I mean all over, for the most part, places to eat have menus for kids 12 and under. For a place that centers around children, they should be more accomodating to the ages of kids.

Did you ever try the Disney Dining plan? I think that would help you out and save you some money.

The only character meal that cost 2 sitdowns on the dining plan I think is only Cinderella's royal table.

look into it and see if it will benefit you.We alway's get it,it's worth it.

I think the best strategy is to pick a couple of your top favs and book them and then just do casual eating/ counter service around the parks. That has always been fun for us anyhow when visiting other theme parks other than Disney. I don't really like the idea of having to be somewhere at a certain time all the time either for ADR's. I was thinking of a different Princess meal for dd as she likes Jasmine and Belle the best, more so than Cinderella. Since the cost of CRT is so high, I think we wouldn't get our money's worth and somewhere else would be a much better fit. Also, I want to include "special" activities for both dd and ds. Staying at the AKL CLUB was worth the extra money for us because we feel seeing the animals, the sunrise safari and the whole ambience would be something really unique in Florida & Disney. And of course, the money for the parks is completely fine and expected. I'm going to try and figure out a few not to miss ADR's and try to replan accordingly. We are currently booked for Chef Mickey's for dinner on our arrival night but I'm not sure that we want that hyped up atmosphere so BOMA might suit us better. Thanks all for listening :) :)

I don't think the food is substandard at all...When ever we get back from our trip,we had to get used to eating regular food again lol. Anybody else feel this way??? We missed disney food lol.

You get a lot of food on the DDP..yeah you don't get an appetizer now but seriously we could never finich all of our food because you get so much.Even counter services,they give you a lot.

And I know that nobody forces you to do the character meals, dinners, buffets, etc but it is just the point of it all. I'm rethinking my CRT ressie because Cinderella isn't my dd most fav of the princesses anyhow. I thought it would be cool to eat in the castle but the cost of 160.00 for a so-so breakfast from what I hear from people and then little picture package, I'm worried that the money could be spent in a better way. Even with the BBB thing for girls, the price on that is unreal. Now, the Wonderland Tea seems pretty reasonable but the one princess tea at the GF is OUTRAGEOUS! And again, I know it is Disney but still.........................:sad2:

Try the princess breakfast at Norway in Epcot.They have all of the princess's there.

The wonderland tea sounds so cute.

It would cost your family $96/night to be on the Disney Dining plan. As long as you're staying on site and buying park tickets from Disney you're eligible for the plan. The DP give you a TS meal, CS meal and snack each night on your reservation. The Dining Plan is tailor made for your family as you only pay $10/night for each of your children to eat at Disney. As you know there isn't a character meal that cost under $10 for a child so anything else you get that day is "free".

I don't think the food is substandard at all...When ever we get back from our trip,we had to get used to eating regular food again lol. Anybody else feel this way??? We missed disney food lol.

You get a lot of food on the DDP..yeah you don't get an appetizer now but seriously we could never finich all of our food because you get so much.Even counter services,they give you a lot.

I completely agree! :thumbsup2 We are not big chefs at home, so WDW dining is such a treat for us! Plus, for us, I feel like we are paying for the experience. The experience of a WDW restaurant is what sets it apart from other restaurants, so we don't mind paying the prices. Plus, my guess is some of these restaurants spent alot of money in making the atmosphere so grand (decorations, detail, entertainment, etc..) so maybe prices might be higher to cover those costs....who knows if I'm making any sense, but I guess that's just how we look at it. I would never pay those prices at non-WDW restaurants, unless it was someplace really unique and special.

I also agree about the portion sizes-they have been huge at every place we've been to. I'm guessing those signature restaurants are the exception-they look like they have teeny portions (from the pics I've seen-we haven't yet eaten at a sig. at WDW!), but that's standard for a gourmet restaurant.

That said, you might try a character breakfast-they are much cheaper & the characters are great! We stuffed ourselves and made it our breakfast/lunch to help with the cost!

Just a note: It wasn't my opinion of the meals being substandard. I should have clarified in particular some reviews I had read on the CRT breakfast being not really anything to write home about and I thought, how do you mess up a meal like breakfast of all meals, LOL:lmao: That is why I was concerned with paying for that particular breakfast since dd is way more crazy for Jasmine and Belle. Just thought the castle thing would be neat but not sure worth that much extra:goodvibes

If someone else is cooking & cleaning, I'm all for it anyhow, LOL:rotfl: :thumbsup2 I think I was just getting too hyped up on thinking I had to capture all these sit down meals/ADR's, etc but I think for my family and our experience, just a couple "special" ones and then experience alot of counter things, etc. The sunrise safari is going to be a cool experience and we already have that booked. I wanted something special for our arrival, which we currently have Chef Mickey's ( not sure going to keep that one though), might switch. The 1st day/morning of MK, wanted something "special" that is why we booked the CRT (which we still might keep for the experience) dd like Cinderella (she was Cinderella for Halloween 2007) but she really luvs Jasmine and Belle too. Not sure if they would be a CRT or not? Trying to find something cool for ds too and then something special for our last night and it is our anniversary celebration so we were looking into JIKO's me and hubby while the kids enjoy the kids club. So many decisions, LOL:rotfl2: and I thought my worries were over after I finally booked the AKL over Poly, LOL:scared1:

The castle is neat,we had dinner there,I just loved the fact that I was in the castle lol so to meit was more about the atmosphere rather than the food..if your DD loves Jasmine and Belle you have to do The princess breakfast in Norway.I think she will enjoy it.

If someone else is cooking & cleaning, I'm all for it anyhow, LOL:rotfl: :thumbsup2 I think I was just getting too hyped up on thinking I had to capture all these sit down meals/ADR's, etc but I think for my family and our experience, just a couple "special" ones and then experience alot of counter things, etc. The sunrise safari is going to be a cool experience and we already have that booked. I wanted something special for our arrival, which we currently have Chef Mickey's ( not sure going to keep that one though), might switch. The 1st day/morning of MK, wanted something "special" that is why we booked the CRT (which we still might keep for the experience) dd like Cinderella (she was Cinderella for Halloween 2007) but she really luvs Jasmine and Belle too. Not sure if they would be a CRT or not? Trying to find something cool for ds too and then something special for our last night and it is our anniversary celebration so we were looking into JIKO's me and hubby while the kids enjoy the kids club. So many decisions, LOL:rotfl2: and I thought my worries were over after I finally booked the AKL over Poly, LOL:scared1:

HAHA..I was on the phone with DD like probably 20 times changing ADR's. I worked hard figuring out where to eat and when lol.

No, I'm sorry. When we're at Disney we try not to look at the costs of things. If we didn't have the dining plan though we'd only pic our top 4-5 favorite TS and eat the rest CS (but we love CS, too.)

What I'm put of by is the deluxe resort prices! I could never justify staying there when there's equally clean and friendly Disney resorts for much less money!

No, I'm sorry. When we're at Disney we try not to look at the costs of things. If we didn't have the dining plan though we'd only pic our top 4-5 favorite TS and eat the rest CS (but we love CS, too.)

What I'm put of by is the deluxe resort prices! I could never justify staying there when there's equally clean and friendly Disney resorts for much less money!

::yes:: I agree with what you said! We do the dining plan so that we can eat what we want and not look at the cost. I feel bad about spending money the other 51 weeks of the year so I give myself a break from that while I am at Disney!

I don't know if I would be able to justify staying at a deluxe either, although I would like to stay at the Poly. We have always stayed value and may stay at CBR in 2009, but we will see. I guess we could stay deluxe, but then our trips would go from once a year to once every 2 years and I don't see that happening if I can help it!!

But just like food is part of the experience for us, I understand the resort stay is part of the experience for others.

We love breakfast and lunch buffets for character meals. They are cheaper and it's all you can eat. Chef Mickey's is one of our favorites.

I completely agree with the opinion on doing the ddp, we tried it for the 1st time 2 or 3 years ago and it makes things much more reasonable. If you check out the menus of the places you'd be most likely to eat and choose the foods you and your family would most likely order from those menus, I bet that you'll find that the table service alone costs as much as the price of the entire day on the ddp. Very cost effective, definitely worth checking out!

Oh & btw, I wholeheartedly agree on CM, it is always our favorite Character meal. This goes back to the 1st time I took my son when he was 16 months old, still a must and he is now 15!

It would cost your family $96/night to be on the Disney Dining plan. As long as you're staying on site and buying park tickets from Disney you're eligible for the plan. The DP give you a TS meal, CS meal and snack each night on your reservation. The Dining Plan is tailor made for your family as you only pay $10/night for each of your children to eat at Disney. As you know there isn't a character meal that cost under $10 for a child so anything else you get that day is "free".

Just to clarify it would be a little more than the $96.00 per night since one child is over 10. About $124. However, you might consider the DDP if you have a significant number of Character meals planned since the CS and snack would be nearly "free" if you are choosing many buffets.

No...not us.

When you are dining at Disney, there is a lot to take into consideration. I really like the restaurants, the ambience...the gadzillion choices...the characters...etc.

You are certainly paying for a lot more than just food. (and this is ok by hubby and myself and my teens....we love it)

The more research I do on the dining choices, the more frustrated I guess I become, :surfweb: It just seems outrageously priced:scared1: Most of the meals are 120.00 plus just for one meal for 4 people including 2 children who are only ages 9 and 11. We as adults can't even eat our money's worth of food for that price and our kids most definitely can't. With ticket prices, souvenirs, hotel costs, etc etc............you name it-WOW:scared1: I know that it is Disney but it seems it getting less "FAMILY" friendly by these high costs and the thing is...........................I hear/read reviews all the time of how substandard and not so special the food is and that is just an incredible amount of money to get substandard food/service. Sorry for the rant but the more I looked into it, I was just amazed. Now like the theme park tickets-that is ok..........the resort is ok..........because you pick what you can afford, etc.....The meals isn't so much that you can't afford it but it is the principle of how your money is being spent, ya know? Like I would rather put that money towards cool souvenirs, experiences, etc. We are staying at the AKL and I can validate that expense with the EXPERIENCE of being in Orlando and seeing such cool animals that make you feel like you are indeed in a safari in Africa. The Sunrise Safari, I can see the price on that to get the
1st hand look up close at the animals and talk personally with the guides more in depth and having the breakfast included. I dunno...........I think the big thing is mostly with the kids and the cost of them being treated like adults pricewise for food that they can't possibly eat their money's worth. I mean all over, for the most part, places to eat have menus for kids 12 and under. For a place that centers around children, they should be more accomodating to the ages of kids.

I completely agree; the food prices at character meals are outrageous. I understand that they have more people (characters) to pay, but with the current prices they could easily afford to hire 10+ more characters.

Regarding the food... the only character meal I have ever eaten at is Crystal Palace. The food has been good every time we went. I'm not saying spectacular, but good by Disney standards. I am willing to pay $27.99/person to have at least one good meal during our stay, however if the prices at all Disney restaurants were raised to that amount, we would probably have to cut back to every 3 years... :scared1:

Just my $0.02... :)

See, I'm the opposite. I think the deluxes are worth the extra money. I have no desire to vacation and sleep in double beds. That wouldn't be comfortable for me or hubby and would make for a restless vacation. The deluxes offer so much more than moderates in amenities, etc. Queen beds, all interior corridors, not having to walk/run all over the place to get to things, transportation, food choices, and theming. We aren't going to Disney worrying about every little detail-Heck, it is Disney afterall and this is our 1st trip and anniversary so we are splurging on alot of stuff but just putting the money where we feel it is best used and having a deluxe resort is good use of our money. Guess, everyone differs on what they feel is a good way to spend their money:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter