Does anyone else care?

Reading this I was thinking that why wouldn't Disney get stuff at this resort fixed since it is paid for by the owners, not them. But wait, this resort still isn't sold out, so is Disney having to contribute to the cost of the place since all the points aren't yet sold?

this resort still isn't sold out, so is Disney having to contribute to the cost of the place since all the points aren't yet sold?
Yes, that is true. I'm not aware of what percentage of the DVC units are sold, but the costs for any unsold plus the non-DVC units are borne by Disney.

Reading this I was thinking that why wouldn't Disney get stuff at this resort fixed since it is paid for by the owners, not them. But wait, this resort still isn't sold out, so is Disney having to contribute to the cost of the place since all the points aren't yet sold?
I don’t think money is as much the issue, in that Disney monetizes the unsold portion by booking rooms and suites as part of the hotel. It’s very profitable for them, which is why I don’t think they’re in any hurry to sell the unsold points, or lower their price enough through incentives (aside from the occasional good deal) to sell the remaining inventory. This wasn’t their plan initially but I think its still a net positive.

I don’t think money is as much the issue, in that Disney monetizes the unsold portion by booking rooms and suites as part of the hotel. It’s very profitable for them, which is why I don’t think they’re in any hurry to sell the unsold points, or lower their price enough through incentives (aside from the occasional good deal) to sell the remaining inventory. This wasn’t their plan initially but I think its still a net positive.
Probably so.

No one’s trying to white Knight the resort, I think people should have realistic expectations though. Things break, things are down for maintenance, these things are minor annoyances but it seems at times people make it sound like it’s turning into motel 6 ko olinea. It’s a popular family resort, complaining about too many kids just seems oddly out of place. We encountered a few minor maintenance issues and they were fixed by the end of our stay. The speed slide was down for refinishing our entire last stay. Minor disappointment but it didn’t ruin the trip (it reopened the week after we left). Just something to look forward to the next time.

Yes, that is true. I'm not aware of what percentage of the DVC units are sold, but the costs for any unsold plus the non-DVC units are borne by Disney.
I’m not sure either but last I heard it was 68-70% sold out. the way current sales are they expect to sell out 2028-2030. I think there’s something like 11 million points at Aulani.

No one’s trying to white Knight the resort, I think people should have realistic expectations though. Things break, things are down for maintenance, these things are minor annoyances but it seems at times people make it sound like it’s turning into motel 6 ko olinea. It’s a popular family resort, complaining about too many kids just seems oddly out of place. We encountered a few minor maintenance issues and they were fixed by the end of our stay. The speed slide was down for refinishing our entire last stay. Minor disappointment but it didn’t ruin the trip (it reopened the week after we left). Just something to look forward to the next time.
I think that’s a healthy, realistic attitude. In February the adult hot tub was down for four days. We missed it, but it did come back while we were still there. We also try not to sweat the small stuff.

Perhaps since you just joined the boards in the last few months you are not aware of some of the maintenance issues. Most famous of those the unheated lazy river - that lasted for weeks and only got fixed when guests started bringing thermometers. But I can make a (long) list of services and amenities that have been cut back and other maintenance issues this board has been made aware of.

Perhaps since you just joined the boards in the last few months you are not aware of some of the maintenance issues. Most famous of those the unheated lazy river - that lasted for weeks and only got fixed when guests started bringing thermometers. But I can make a (long) list of services and amenities that have been cut back and other maintenance issues this board has been made aware of.
Yeah, I think we’re all aware. The lazy river issue was particularly annoying. I’ve found that whenever there’s a soda machine issue, it seems to get fixed within an hour or two, and the elevator button / gas lantern problems (I can never find the ones that are out) for me are kinda insignificant.

I think the root causes of this kinda stuff lie partly with hotel management as well as the fact that the resort is massively popular and seemingly always packed, which can exacerbate maintenance problems and the time it takes to fix them.

I know for the adult spa it took forever to find the part they were looking for. They ultimately did within a few days, but stuff doesn’t happen as quickly in Hawaii as it does on the mainland. And, honestly for me, none of this is a deal breaker.

Maybe the disagreements here stem from competing glass half empty / glass half full points of view.

Yes I am new the boards but I am not new to Aulani. I’m well aware of the unheated lazy River, and some other issues. Before the pandemic (as non Dvc) we went once every 2-3 years. Joined DVC in ‘21 and have made 4 trips since. Still, non of these issues have overshadowed our desire to stay there, or our enjoyment of the resort, we’ve more than tripled our points there since our intial direct buy in.

Maybe our timing is good and it stinks for others, as other than a trip with a chilly but useable lazy River, and one slide down the entire trip, everything else has been minor annoyances.

Oh, and as Paul mentioned, if you’ve spent any significant time there or lived on the islands you are well aware of how easily the supply chain gets interrupted. The pandemic only made it even worse. Working in manufacturing (stateside), we’re still dealing with supply chain issues and delays.

I’m a glass half full kinda guy, so maybe it’s matter of perception. But we’ve stayed at places with Mold, backed up sewage, non functioning AC, and balconies that look like they should be red tagged. I’d say those are major issues. I’ve yet to see or experience anything like that at Aulani.

Last edited:
Yes I am new the boards but I am not new to Aulani. I’m well aware of the unheated lazy River, and some other issues. Before the pandemic (as non Dvc) we went once every 2-3 years. Joined DVC in ‘21 and have made 4 trips since. Still, non of these issues have overshadowed our desire to stay there, or our enjoyment of the resort, we’ve more than tripled our points there since our intial direct buy in.

Maybe our timing is good and it stinks for others, as other than a trip with a chilly but useable lazy River, and one slide down the entire trip, everything else has been minor annoyances.

Oh, and as Paul mentioned, if you’ve spent any significant time there or lived on the islands you are well aware of how easily the supply chain gets interrupted. The pandemic only made it even worse. Working in manufacturing (stateside), we’re still dealing with supply chain issues and delays.

I’m a glass half full kinda guy, so maybe it’s matter of perception. But we’ve stayed at places with Mold, backed up sewage, non functioning AC, and balconies that look like they should be red tagged. I’d say those are major issues. I’ve yet to see or experience anything like that at Aulani.
Good point about major vs. minor issues. I’ll add another one. Bed bugs! Have never experienced them at Aulani, thank heaven. My wife and I live in Los Angeles and now go to Aulani twice a year, courtesy of our DVC points, which we bought in ‘20.

Anyway, welcome to the boards!

My cup overfloweth for people who visit Aulani and pay 1k - 1.5K+ night and fly long distances to experience the magic and are disappointed in an earnest way. I don’t minimize their concerns as “nit picks”. And I do get defensive when they are mocked. I will bump the cold lazy river fiasco just b/c it was wild — and in the next few days I will put together a comprehensive thread on maintenance issues and service cuts.

This board is for people to honestly point out the negatives and positives of Aulani. I’m happy many/most people love it. Hawaii is magical. But the standards at a sometimes 1k a night hotel are allowed to be high. It can’t be I didn’t get bed bugs and there was no raw sewage in the room.

Good point about major vs. minor issues. I’ll add another one. Bed bugs! Have never experienced them at Aulani, thank heaven. My wife and I live in Los Angeles and now go to Aulani twice a year, courtesy of our DVC points, which we bought in ‘20.

Anyway, welcome to the boards!
Oh Man, we haven't run into bed bugs. Grand Californian had an incident of them awhile back.

Thanks for the welcome!

My cup overfloweth for people who visit Aulani and pay 1k - 1.5K+ night and fly long distances to experience the magic and are disappointed in an earnest way. I don’t minimize their concerns as “nit picks”. And I do get defensive when they are mocked. I will bump the cold lazy river fiasco just b/c it was wild — and in the next few days I will put together a comprehensive thread on maintenance issues and service cuts.

This board is for people to honestly point out the negatives and positives of Aulani. I’m happy many/most people love it. Hawaii is magical. But the standards at a sometimes 1k a night hotel are allowed to be high. It can’t be I didn’t get bed bugs and there was no raw sewage in the room.
Agree about Hawaii being magical! You can add an unsatisfactory, over priced dinner that my wife and I had at Ama Ama, where the food was delivered lukewarm. I’ll try to think on other stuff too.

We bought into Aulani and the villas at disneyland as we were paying $1-1.5K a night. We will recoup our investments in short order.

I think it comes back to half empty, half full perspective. Stayed at the Four Seasons on Maui a few years back, it was very nice, and I was slightly annoyed at check in because they didn't have the ginger lemonade in the lobby that they had the previous visit (it was delicious, I wanted to bottle it and take it home), but I didn't go on social media and complain. We were in Paradise, I quickly forgot about it.

Speed Slide down the whole trip, ok bummer, but we'll do it next time and there was lots of other fun stuff to do.

I wasn't horribly impressed with the Ama Ama food on the last trip, but our service was great, and the view was magical. Not sure if we'd go again, might though if the menu changed significantly. The food at Off the Hook was amazing, and we can't wait to eat there again the next trip.

If you're going to let a broken elevator button, or torch that's out, or a small water feature not working, or not getting a lei ruin your trip, I think there might be other issues at play. We live in a culture of complaining, that celebrates it and encourages it for any minor misstep, slight or inconvenience, whether it's intentional or not. It's a constant feedback loop (even now, I'm complaining about those who complain). Just look at twitter, facebook comments, these forums, people are sharing their unpleasant experiences with minor experiences being magnified to major failures. It reminds me of this cartoon. I try and remember where we are, and how lucky we are to be there, and not to let minor issues ruin the experience for us or the kids.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 2.05.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 2.05.43 PM.png
    351.2 KB · Views: 3
We bought into Aulani and the villas at disneyland as we were paying $1-1.5K a night. We will recoup our investments in short order.

I think it comes back to half empty, half full perspective. Stayed at the Four Seasons on Maui a few years back, it was very nice, and I was slightly annoyed at check in because they didn't have the ginger lemonade in the lobby that they had the previous visit (it was delicious, I wanted to bottle it and take it home), but I didn't go on social media and complain. We were in Paradise, I quickly forgot about it.

Speed Slide down the whole trip, ok bummer, but we'll do it next time and there was lots of other fun stuff to do.

I wasn't horribly impressed with the Ama Ama food on the last trip, but our service was great, and the view was magical. Not sure if we'd go again, might though if the menu changed significantly. The food at Off the Hook was amazing, and we can't wait to eat there again the next trip.

If you're going to let a broken elevator button, or torch that's out, or a small water feature not working, or not getting a lei ruin your trip, I think there might be other issues at play. We live in a culture of complaining, that celebrates it and encourages it for any minor misstep, slight or inconvenience, whether it's intentional or not. It's a constant feedback loop (even now, I'm complaining about those who complain). Just look at twitter, facebook comments, these forums, people are sharing their unpleasant experiences with minor experiences being magnified to major failures. It reminds me of this cartoon. I try and remember where we are, and how lucky we are to be there, and not to let minor issues ruin the experience for us or the kids.
Nobody says you have to complain.

But to the extent you could restrain yourself from mocking others that have issues while they spend 6 figures on a week at a property where, to put it mildly, they have issues with maintenance it would be productive.

Nobody says you have to complain.

But to the extent you could restrain yourself from mocking others that have issues while they spend 6 figures on a week at a property where, to put it mildly, they have issues with maintenance it would be productive
I say we stop the back and forth. Eager to see what new stuff you come up with. Who knows, I might agree with you!

I say we stop the back and forth. Eager to see what new stuff you come up with. Who knows, I might agree with you!
I’ve been traveling internationally (non-Disney) and using my points at WDW - but as a DVC Aulani owner I continue to watch with interest. I will probably be back to Hawaii in the next year or so and will try Ama Ama b/c I love the location.

Hmm, I think we could both agree it would be good to bring back breakfast and/or lunch at Ama Ama? Maybe not be so stringent about the use of spa facilities to a paltry one hour? Bring back at least the water at greeting? Get rid of all the prix fixe options? Broaden Aunties availability and age restrictions? Leis?

I’ve been traveling internationally (non-Disney) and using my points at WDW - but as a DVC Aulani owner I continue to watch with interest. I will probably be back to Hawaii in the next year or so and will try Ama Ama b/c I love the location.

Hmm, I think we could both agree it would be good to bring back breakfast and/or lunch at Ama Ama? Maybe not be so stringent about the use of spa facilities to a paltry one hour? Bring back at least the water at greeting? Get rid of all the prix fixe options? Broaden Aunties availability and age restrictions? Leis?
Don’t need the leis, but agree on everything else! I don’t think they’re glaring faults, but as you said they definitely can be improved as you described, and Aulani would be better for it. And I’m grateful you didn’t bring up the elevator buttons!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter