Do you think DVC should be a little more open to people moving dates without penalty because of corona?

Don't try using chat for any of the point based questions.

I just tried calling and using the chat function, and the chat member won't doing anything for you.

The phone line gave me a busy signal, so then I used the chat function.

This is not accurate. There is no rule that they will allow points to not be put in holding for first time cancel. I had my first one in 11 years when I adjusted in November and I could not get points out of holding.

I think they may have decided to bend rules for this situation and been directed to mention that so people aren’t expecting this all the time.
I am sorry that you didn't get an exception. I certainly wasn't counting on it. But, was pleasantly surprised that we did get it.

I am sorry that you didn't get an exception. I certainly wasn't counting on it. But, was pleasantly surprised that we did get it.

Your situation is much different. I am glad they made the decision to help. I just wanted to clarify that there is no one time allowance to avoid holding points,

I didn’t expect them to waive it, The poster mentioned they had heard it was a policy. And it’s not.

What is sounds like to me is that they are doing case by case adjustments and not coming out with a standard policy.

My trip starts March 29th and has all borrowed points from my Dec UY. If I have to cancel because flights are grounded or WDW is shut down, then my hope is they will waive holding and I can use them to book a July or Aug trip from now,

Your situation is much different. I am glad they made the decision to help. I just wanted to clarify that there is no one time allowance to avoid holding points,

I didn’t expect them to waive it, The poster mentioned they had heard it was a policy. And it’s not.

What is sounds like to me is that they are doing case by case adjustments and not coming out with a standard policy.

My trip starts March 29th and has all borrowed points from my Dec UY. If I have to cancel because flights are grounded or WDW is shut down, then my hope is they will waive holding and I can use them to book a July or Aug trip from now,
Thank you. The MS at first told me that they would go into holding. I then asked if they were doing anything differently because of the virus. She said let me check and after looking at my account told me that they could remove the points from holding. I thanked her very much and said I wanted to discuss further with my husband - she told me that I had until the end of the day to decide. I called back later after we talked and cancelled. They were very helpful and understanding. Said the points would appear as holding right now - they have to submit paper work but they would switch back within a couple weeks. And if I wanted to rebook sooner I could call to have them help me do so. I did not use borrowed point - so I will probably end up banking these points in the next month or two. Its doubtful we will be able to reschedule to use them without needing to bank them first.

I got off the phone with MS about 20 mins ago, and they allowed us to cancel for March 15-17 without putting points into holding. I did ask if they were making accommodations, and the CM said, "oh yeah, for sure," making it sound as though this was available to everyone. He actually kept me on the line while he moved the points out of holding and back into the UY from which they came (2020). As a bonus, found out that our VGC waitlist for late June also matched, so he took care of that as well, making sure to use our 2020 points that had just been returned, as opposed to our 2021 points, which were all we had available prior to our cancellation.

I got off the phone with MS about 20 mins ago, and they allowed us to cancel for March 15-17 without putting points into holding. I did ask if they were making accommodations, and the CM said, "oh yeah, for sure," making it sound as though this was available to everyone. He actually kept me on the line while he moved the points out of holding and back into the UY from which they came (2020). As a bonus, found out that our VGC waitlist for late June also matched, so he took care of that as well, making sure to use our 2020 points that had just been returned, as opposed to our 2021 points, which were all we had available prior to our cancellation.
Hm, I wonder why MS couldnt do that for me? And said that they need to do paperwork for that. Maybe its the level of expertise for each agent? That is great that they were allowed to take care of it for you.

From my call with MS this morning:

First, my upcoming trip (4/3-4/9) is a combo of (a) Banked points from 2018 to 2019, (b) 2019 points, and (c) 2020 points borrowed into UY '19. My banking deadline is April 30th (Sept UY).

The guy I spoke with (Adam, super nice and extremely helpful) said that DVC will do it's best to "make things right". If I were to cancel (which I haven't yet), he said that they would put my '20 points back into 2020 UY, my 2019 points can all be banked if I get that in before my deadline (which would be fine for me). My 2018 points can't be banked but and would go into holding but they could manually make them available to be used by August (I think that's technically what would happen). I did ask him what would happen if we can't reschedule by August? Who knows what the situation would actually be like by then? He could only say that things are still fluid and that DVC/Disney will try to "make things right" - but obviously, no promises.

But he emphasized to me that, if we decide to cancel, I should absolutely do this over the phone with them. Don't cancel online if you have any points that would go into holding. We will make our decision before the end of March so we should be okay with most of our points being restored.

My reservation starts Sunday. Do I have to cancel by Saturday or must I cancel before close on Friday?

We have the HA Vero beach cottage booked for next week and I’m trying first to rent it at a discount through David’s to get cash - they will keep it posted until the 13th so if it doesn’t rent I’m planning to pull it and cancel the 14th but I’m unsure what 1 day policy means - ie 24 hours or is cancelling Anytime the day before check in day ok?

Hm, I wonder why MS couldnt do that for me? And said that they need to do paperwork for that. Maybe its the level of expertise for each agent? That is great that they were allowed to take care of it for you.
It may also have had to do with the fact that we had a waitlist match, and he wanted us to be able to use the 2020 points immediately for the waitlist.

I am glad to be reading the help members are getting.

Me too! I am also glad to hear that they seem to be applying things case by case and helping each member in a way that makes sense for them vs. just coming out with a blanket statement that we will do X, when even that may not make sense for everyone.

For those that have called MS today, what was the wait time like?
I called earlier with a 45 minute wait time. I was able to cancel my reservation for tomorrow and was told my points would not go into holding. Just tried to book a trip for August and see my points were put into holding.

I've now been on hold for 30 minutes waiting to get this cleared up.

I called earlier with a 45 minute wait time. I was able to cancel my reservation for tomorrow and was told my points would not go into holding. Just tried to book a trip for August and see my points were put into holding.

I know when that happened to be back in September right around the hurricanes they temporarily went into holding.

I called,45 min wait. Canceled and was told they would unborrow my points but that it could take 7-10 days for that to happen.(they had to submit a form). I’m in no hurry so I’ll wait until then and call back if it doesn’t happen

It takes time for them to take them out of holding, so don't worry. They go in automatically, and then someone processes the change later. Last time, for a hurricane, it took a few days

I called around 8:45 CDT and had a 50-minute wait. I actually had anticipated it would be longer. I was seeing yesterday that people were waiting on hold with airlines for upwards of 3 hours.

Disneyland is closing the parks starting Saturday, March 14th through the end of March. Hotels will be open through Monday, March 16th.

Disneyland is closing the parks starting Saturday, March 14th through the end of March. Hotels will be open through Monday, March 16th.
Silver lining to the parks closing, might be a quicker turnover on any construction currently going on. I know it's only Disneyland right now, but WDW might not be far behind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter