Do you like Disney World or Universal more? And why?

A bear and fox chasing a rabbit through a playful colorful scene with fun music... Not much more you need to understand. On the other hand, nothing sticks in my memory about Dudley Do Right falls, except the big fall.

Agree. Nothing to really "get" with Splash Mountain...it's a bumbling fox and bear chasing a rabbit. The theming of the ride is absolutely incredible, especially given that it's been there for 40+ years. DDR Ripsaw Falls gives me the impression of a VERY cheap ripoff of SM. It seems as if its only purpose is to get you absolutely drenched...which really isn't all that fun to us. There's not a *chance" you'll get wet on DDR...it's a guarantee. We often skip it now for that reason. We don't mind getting wet, but come on. We haven't ridden Kali River Rapids in years at Animal Kingdom for the same reason, even though "getting wet" is a chance there.

My son and I really love both Disney and Universal. My wife is much more Disney, since she can't do a lot of the rides at Universal. Son and I usually do 4 days at WDW when we go, and 2 days at US/IoA. Wife only does one day at Universal, and spends the other day at a spa at Disney in the morning, and in World Showcase at Epcot in the afternoon/evening.

The overall theming at Universal does not come close to Disney, outside of the HP worlds and Jurassic Park (we haven't been since just before Kong opened, so we can't comment on it yet). US is basically nothing more than a bland warehouse district outside of Diagon Alley. IoA tries a little more with the theming.

Son and I enjoy the simulator rides, but Universal seems to be going overboard with them. Transformers and Spiderman are basically the same ride...just different screens. Simpsons and Minions are basically the same ride, just different screens. I'm not against the screens...I think Forbidden Journey is the best ride in all of Orlando. It just seems like a cheap way to build rides in a hurry and not have to worry about the actual theming of the ride.

As far as Disney goes....it also needs help. Magic Kingdom is the only park that is truly a whole day park if your main interest is rides.

I realize there is a lot on the horizon, with Pandora coming online in 2017 in AK...Star Wars and Toy Story Land coming to HS...the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride taking over Ellen's Energy Adventure somewhere down the line at Epcot. But, all three of those parks are currently suffering from a lack of things to do. My son and I see very little value in the World Showcase at Epcot....huge time waster in our opinion. Once you've seen all of it, there's little reason to continue to go back through it over and over again, other than to catch a meal.

We like the compactness of Universal over Disney. Park hopping at Disney is a complete time-waster to us.

We like the magic bands (or even the old KTTW plastic cards)...certainly an upgrade over the cheap cardboard tickets at Universal. As much as Universal has gone up in price over the last few years, they could at least issue a more durable "ticket". They've just in the past what....7 or 8 months began issuing plastic passes to AP holders?

All said....we are "ride-riders", and Universal holds us for that reason. No shortage of rides there, and that's our main attraction to the place.

We find the food at either to be nothing really special to write home about. Disney food used to be much better than it is now. There are a very small handful of places we make it a point to hit while in Orlando, but those seem to be getting smaller and smaller as quality gets worse and prices go higher.

Looking back at this post before I hit the "Post Reply" button, I realize that it comes off more as a "what I dislike" about both parks more than a "what I love". Sorry about that. We really do love them both.

I used to be a huge and I mean HUGE disney fan. But now... I prefer Universal.

1).Minimum planning still a great vacation.
2). No constant asking for more money (Dessert Parties, tents for rent in park)
3). The parks are fun to walk around in.
4). Reasonably priced and fun resorts.
5). Universal treats their AP holders pretty nicely.
6). Nicely decorated for Christmas

Agree. Nothing to really "get" with Splash Mountain...it's a bumbling fox and bear chasing a rabbit. The theming of the ride is absolutely incredible, especially given that it's been there for 40+ years. DDR Ripsaw Falls gives me the impression of a VERY cheap ripoff of SM. It seems as if its only purpose is to get you absolutely drenched...which really isn't all that fun to us. There's not a *chance" you'll get wet on DDR...it's a guarantee. We often skip it now for that reason. We don't mind getting wet, but come on. We haven't ridden Kali River Rapids in years at Animal Kingdom for the same reason, even though "getting wet" is a chance there.

My son and I really love both Disney and Universal. My wife is much more Disney, since she can't do a lot of the rides at Universal. Son and I usually do 4 days at WDW when we go, and 2 days at US/IoA. Wife only does one day at Universal, and spends the other day at a spa at Disney in the morning, and in World Showcase at Epcot in the afternoon/evening.

The overall theming at Universal does not come close to Disney, outside of the HP worlds and Jurassic Park (we haven't been since just before Kong opened, so we can't comment on it yet). US is basically nothing more than a bland warehouse district outside of Diagon Alley. IoA tries a little more with the theming.

Son and I enjoy the simulator rides, but Universal seems to be going overboard with them. Transformers and Spiderman are basically the same ride...just different screens. Simpsons and Minions are basically the same ride, just different screens. I'm not against the screens...I think Forbidden Journey is the best ride in all of Orlando. It just seems like a cheap way to build rides in a hurry and not have to worry about the actual theming of the ride.

As far as Disney goes....it also needs help. Magic Kingdom is the only park that is truly a whole day park if your main interest is rides.

I realize there is a lot on the horizon, with Pandora coming online in 2017 in AK...Star Wars and Toy Story Land coming to HS...the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride taking over Ellen's Energy Adventure somewhere down the line at Epcot. But, all three of those parks are currently suffering from a lack of things to do. My son and I see very little value in the World Showcase at Epcot....huge time waster in our opinion. Once you've seen all of it, there's little reason to continue to go back through it over and over again, other than to catch a meal.

We like the compactness of Universal over Disney. Park hopping at Disney is a complete time-waster to us.

We like the magic bands (or even the old KTTW plastic cards)...certainly an upgrade over the cheap cardboard tickets at Universal. As much as Universal has gone up in price over the last few years, they could at least issue a more durable "ticket". They've just in the past what....7 or 8 months began issuing plastic passes to AP holders?

All said....we are "ride-riders", and Universal holds us for that reason. No shortage of rides there, and that's our main attraction to the place.

We find the food at either to be nothing really special to write home about. Disney food used to be much better than it is now. There are a very small handful of places we make it a point to hit while in Orlando, but those seem to be getting smaller and smaller as quality gets worse and prices go higher.

Looking back at this post before I hit the "Post Reply" button, I realize that it comes off more as a "what I dislike" about both parks more than a "what I love". Sorry about that. We really do love them both.

Agree about splash, but Splash mountain opened in the mid-90s I believe so it's probably 20-something yrs old, not 40 years old.

Not sure why ppl complain about Magic Bands....If you don't like them then just don't use them. You can still use your ticket and a CC like you do at Universal. The magic bands are just a bonus perk. Also kinda seems like a lot of responses of why Universal is better is simply because they have less customers and less things to do so you don't need to plan anything.

A few years ago I would have said Universal but constant price increases and now with Kong out and basically recycling Spiderman again just shows where Universal tends to me going. Then dropping Twister, BJ, and Disaster for more than likely two more simulator rides is a rough pill to swallow.

I personally didn't find Disney overly tedious to plan for. A week before we went I setup our fast passes and even the day of I was flipping them around. I enjoyed my time there with the family and we got things done. I have plenty more to see at Disney that I didn't finish but that's fine....I'll have something to do next time. I don't absolutely try to finish a theme park each vacation. But Universal I can get done in two days and with nowadays is very slim variety in rides unfortunately.

I still enjoy my time at Universal. Growing up I think it was always my favorite park.

I'd say right now it's a tie between the two for me. But SW, Toy story, and Pandora will almost certainly be better than what Universal has coming down the pipes. Disney also didn't shut down half their classic rides to build them.

Both of them have room for improvement imo.

Edit - Also wanted to point out that the photopass at Disney is miles better than what Universal has. I love getting photos of our experiences and Disney does that service right. Something I wish Universal would put more effort into considering they still charge $150+ to get the AP for the photos.

It's interesting reading these replies and comparing them to the rumours for upcoming rides. People tend to be against screens at Universal and plans for Super Nintendo World won't have any screens but plans for future rides (and Pandora and Star Wars) at WDW seem to include a lot of screens and simulators.

There are also Universal rumours about some sort of airport transportation as more hotels are popping up at Universal and also for some sort of magic band type of all inclusive system.

Right now our preference is Universal. Years ago it was Disney, when the latter was essentially two parks and three hotels (on the monorail), and we had small kids. Then, Disney was easy to navigate and easy to reserve stuff - I got a ressie for Cinderella's Royal Table the first time I tried (before online reservations - you called). Disney didn't require a spreadsheet plan back then and the attractions were amazing at the time, nothing like those we had at home. I have good memories of those early visits.

But fast forward to today. We are older, so excessive walking is more difficult for us, and we find Universal far easier to navigate. We have no more small kids or grand kids, and Disney seems more focused on Princesses and Pirates than ever before (I still haven't forgiven them for eliminating 20 Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Mr. Toad's wild ride). Universal today seems to us to be more exciting and easier to plan for, by far, than Disney (I find it ridiculous that one has to make restaurant and attraction reservations so far in advance, and then all your reservations together can become the dominant factor in your trip planning).

We never really got that "Disney Magic" thing past that first visit - yes, the first visit was the best because we had never seen such intricate attractions before. After that, the increasing effort it took to just navigate around Disney began to overtake any magic feelings we experienced - it became more annoying than enjoyable, more like work than fun to go there. We seemed to spend more time trip planning and, once there, the time it took to get to the parks, stand in lines, deal with crowds, and just generally wait for stuff than actually doing stuff took away from our trip experience. And the bigger Disney got, the more difficult it was to deal with, at least it was for us.

Universal/City Walk is easy to plan, easy to navigate, and it has exciting attractions and some really interesting restaurants and pubs. Its resorts and hotels are first rate and are close to the parks, and Express Pass - what a perk, if you choose to stay in one of the big three resorts. And its future is really bright - lots of new additions in the works and in progress, and who knows what they will develop with the recent land acquisition.

I disagree with those who still think Universal is just a two day visit - yes, it is if all you do is go to the parks just for the major attractions, like with any common amusement park. It's not if you take time to explore everything it has to offer among resorts, parks, and restaurants. It's a destination vacation, in my opinion, and becoming more so every year as new facilities are added.

Both appeal to people for different reasons, so go to both and make up your own mind. And do try to avoid the "Universal (Disney) is far better than Disney (Universal)" crowd. That's always been a silly argument with no winners, only hard feelings. You can't go wrong preferring either one.

Agree about splash, but Splash mountain opened in the mid-90s I believe so it's probably 20-something yrs old, not 40 years old.

Original opened in '89... '92 in Magic Kingdom. So you are correct, it's not quite 30 years old.

But it does have a timeless feel. Both Universal and Disney have rides that can be described as "stale"....
and while I think Universal has some incredible rides, none have a timeless feel... rides you want to do as a kid, then 30 years later with your children and 60 years later with grandchildren.

Pirates, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Splash Mountain -- these are attractions that can last 100 years.
I can't say that about simulators simply because as technology progresses, they won't keep up.
And same with rides that are based on good but not timeless movies. So I doubt Shrek, Despicable Me... or Toy Story Mania... will be very relevant in 20 more years.

It's interesting reading these replies and comparing them to the rumours for upcoming rides. People tend to be against screens at Universal and plans for Super Nintendo World won't have any screens but plans for future rides (and Pandora and Star Wars) at WDW seem to include a lot of screens and simulators.

There are also Universal rumours about some sort of airport transportation as more hotels are popping up at Universal and also for some sort of magic band type of all inclusive system.

I'm not fully against screens but when you close down a TON of practical effects rides and then only do screens for a while then imo it does get stale. I used to feel like I was riding the movies, now I feel like they filmed a movie and are showing it to me while they move me through on a track.

I think Disney could add a few screens and still have a nice balance....Esp since they didn't close down any rides to get those screens. But Disney also has a new slinky coaster going up which isn't a screen ride as well. To me I think that'll be a cool addition to a park I already love.

I haven't looked much into the rumors for Super Nintendo World since they haven't even really announced anything at all in Orlando, other than it'll happen eventually. I don't know where it's going or what's getting closed to make room for it. But I hope and pray it won't be ET or MiB because I love those rides. But just not being a screen doesn't make a great ride, and making a ride a screen doesn't make it bad either. I am excited for Nintendo but then again I'll probably be ancient by the time it does come here. :-)

I'm not fully against screens but when you close down a TON of practical effects rides and then only do screens for a while then imo it does get stale. I used to feel like I was riding the movies, now I feel like they filmed a movie and are showing it to me while they move me through on a track.

I think Disney could add a few screens and still have a nice balance....Esp since they didn't close down any rides to get those screens. But Disney also has a new slinky coaster going up which isn't a screen ride as well. To me I think that'll be a cool addition to a park I already love.

I haven't looked much into the rumors for Super Nintendo World since they haven't even really announced anything at all in Orlando, other than it'll happen eventually. I don't know where it's going or what's getting closed to make room for it. But I hope and pray it won't be ET or MiB because I love those rides. But just not being a screen doesn't make a great ride, and making a ride a screen doesn't make it bad either. I am excited for Nintendo but then again I'll probably be ancient by the time it does come here. :-)

Hopefully nothing gets closed for it. It is going to takeover Barney/Curious George and all the area back there. There are several available acres, apparently. I would imagine that Animal Actors will go too.

Hopefully nothing gets closed for it. It is going to takeover Barney/Curious George and all the area back there. There are several available acres, apparently. I would imagine that Animal Actors will go too.

Yeah I'd heard that was where it might go. Not too sure if it was rumor or speculation or what but idt anything has been official. Kinda hope animal actors doesn't go but idt I'd be heartbroken if it did.

Yeah I'd heard that was where it might go. Not too sure if it was rumor or speculation or what but idt anything has been official. Kinda hope animal actors doesn't go but idt I'd be heartbroken if it did.

From the DisUnplugged Universal Edition it looks like they want to replace the Woody Woodpecker area but they could just announce Nintendo Land in the third park that they haven't announce yet.

Disney is more laid back and relaxing to me compared to universal

We love Universal! It is so nice not to have all the planning. I made no adr's and we ate everywhere we wanted just walking up. It just seems more relaxing to us. Harry Potter sections are amazing!! That is not to say we don't love Disney but the planning gets a little overwhelming a times.

Like both but definitely can relate to what people say on here about Disney being way too stressful in many ways, having to plan far out, all the dining reservations really becomes ridiculous, and Universal being far more relaxed particularly if you stay onsite. That being said we recently bought an RV bringing our pets, have been staying at WDW FW campground, so tend to do more WDW. Used to fly down with our little yorkie and stay at Universal and it was awesome but we inherited my mom's dog and can't now. For my husband it would definitely be Universal. Now if only Universal would open up a large campground! . . . hmmmm that would be my dream!

Honestly we prefer both equally. I couldn't imagine doing a trip without both unless we went just for a long weekend at a specific event. With that said we do usually spend longer at Disney because there's more to do, but we always stay on site at both.

Reasons we love Universal: The hotels are a better value for your money especially with EP included, I love Harry Potter and those areas are amazing, my boyfriend loves big coasters and Disney doesn't have any he considers as thrilling at the ones at Universal, Mythos is amazing as are a lot of places we've eaten at in the area, transportation is faster, there are so many parts of both parks that are amazing and rides I enjoy that I can't imagine not going there. We also love HHN, and it's definitely better than MNSSHP.

Reasons we love Disney: It's so big you never have to leave the "Disney bubble", there is so much detail and thought put into every aspect and everything has a story behind it, Christmas there was amazing, I'm not big on thrill rides and I can handle most the rides at Disney, the resorts have such amazing theming, there are so many choices when it comes to dining, things to do etc, and I love planning for things early.

On our last trip, we did 2 days in Universal, 4 days at WDW, but stayed at Portofino Bay because it was dramatically cheaper. But it's hard, it's really what you're looking for. I grew up with Disney, not neccessarily the parks since ive only been 3 times, but more the themes. It's so nostalgic for me. However, I am a diehard Harry Potter fan and those 2 lands are beyond spectacular. Disney World was really crowded and despite the nostalgia, sort of is looking a little dated. Do not get me wrong...I would go to Disney World yearly if I had the option, but like other posters have said, a lot of Universal is simulators, which does get annoying, but I do not think the massive "DISNEY WORLD IS SO SUPERIOR" fight is as widespread as it was say 10 years ago, like Craig says on the podcasts. Universal is doing incredible things, their resorts are dramatically cheaper and very nice too. Disney World I would say still has better food offerings, more variety, the nostalgia, better character and theming (aside from Harry Potter) and the infamous "Disney Bubble". There's a reason it's the most popular vacation destination in the world.. You can definitely do Universal on a whim though too(which is SO nice and is what I remember Disney to be when I went when I was younger), whereas Disney you can't unless you do not mind getting the ADR or FP you wanted. I absolutely LOVE both and plan on returning to both. If you have the time, do both. They are really just two different experiences and that is okay...you is not going to be better than the other unless it checks off all the boxes you want. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
It's hard for me to understand why people pledge strong allegiances to one theme park over another. :). That said, I lean Universal. I love HP, thrill rides, how compact the resorts are and appreciate not having to plan stuff in advance.

I always thought the same thing. Why can't you do all? I love Disney AND Universal...You do not have to pick!

I love them both for different reasons. Disney for the magic and memories and Universal for the thrill rides and movies! We always try to spend at least one day at UO even if booked at Disney. Next year we'll be doing 3 at UO and 6 at WDW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter