• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you have a large master bathroom?

Oh yeah, there's room for one shower bar in my master math, across the room from the shower!

Yeah, we put an "over the door" towel holder on the shower, so we would have enough room for two bath towels. And the walk-in bath closet is easily twice as big as the shower--and located next to one sink, so that space could have easily been a nice-sized, built-in shower. Instead, we have a shower stall, 1/4 the size--next to the other sink. I really don't get what they were thinking, it's a big room, I could host a party in there. Unless it was a shower party and people wanted towels! Still, the space has potential, when those winning lottery numbers hit.

We do. We built in the early 90s when those garden tubs were all the rage. I loathe baths, and couldn't envision either of us using it. So we have a regular tub/shower, then just a shower. 2 sinks, and a separate commode room with linen closet. It works for us, because 2 people can get ready for work, and still have their privacy.

For master bath would you rather:

A. Have a soaking tub (nothing large)

B. A make-up station with lighting and extra cabinets

There is a tub in the main bathroom located on the same floor.

I would say tub, as long as it is large enough for me to stretch out in (I'm 6ft tall). I use my tub a LOT, but I think I'm in the minority. If you're choosing based on resale value, the vanity and more storage would probably be more popular, assuming there is another tub in the house somewhere.

Our master is pretty big, with a large tub, separate shower, wide double vanity, tall linen cabinet, and small linen closet. The toilet is kind of hidden by the tall cabinet, but not completely closed off in a closet. Tons of storage and counter space, and I love it!

My house was built in 1983 and has a very large master suite. Its one of the reasons I bought it, I was single and loved the master suite. The configuration is a weird 80s one that I think is absolutely perfect...

It's not a waste of space for you because you use it and you love it. Some people wouldn't and their opinion would be different. It's rare to hear about someone being satisfied with something, so I loved reading your input :)

To answer the original question. My house isn't large and the MBR isn't, either. Our master bath is 9x6 and heading for a renovation. I'm not enlarging the space because I don't want to take away from the other areas. Staying with a single sink due to code and the fact that I hate watching people spit. We're never in there at the same time. The very long vanity only has one sink now, anyway. Instead of two sinks, I'm installing cabinet towers for more storage. The long vanity will have as many drawers as possible. New and better placed lighting, advanced toilet seat, bathroom fan with heater and timer, plumbing moved for the shower to give the illusion of more room instead of standing in a coffin, and a beautiful design.
I don't want a large master, just a well functioning one. I'm making it pretty while I'm at it.

As the saying goes, everything's bigger in Texas, and the home builders take that very literally. We had a new home built about two years ago and the master bathroom is, frankly, too big, with a couple of attached walk-in closets that are probably larger than DH's and my first bedroom in our first home. I do like the separate water closet and the steam shower.

What is the WORLD?

Seriously?

Yup- all the houses around here have one bathroom- some have added on and made another bathroom but I really never felt the need- when I lived here as a kid it was 4 of us and we managed- once I moved back when my father died it was just 2 of us. Had my daughter and it was 3 of us and now she is leaving for college so I just never bothered adding on a bathroom. There are 2 bedrooms upstairs that someone could have been living in for all I know- I SO rarely go up there since no one sleeps in them- in fact I am having a junk company come and remove the beds from up there and everything else, no need to keep things up there since no one uses them. I am clearing out little by little- next thing to empty is the basement, it is finished and have couch, chairs, freezer, fridge etc down there- no one has sat down there in years so going to empty that one out too!

I will soon! Currently in the tiling phase. We moved into this house last fall and have been planning this reno ever since, we really missed it after having one in our last house. We gave up the spare room and has it knocked through to the master, it will have a walk-in shower, double vanity, water closet, 2 closets, and laundry. i can't wait!!!

Not yet. We have a tiny house. The bath is only the width of a tub. The rest is a toilet and a 19" vanity. In about a year we will have $3000/month car/mortgage payments paid off and we'll be able to spend about $100K to have a 2nd story added with a master suite, bath and walk in closet.

No, ours is fairly small. I am not really complaining, but it would be nice to have an area in which to store towels and stuff, and have a sink counter. My old house the master bathroom was about the size of a closet... with a sink, toilet, and shower stall all crammed into that small space. This house is a big improvement. This one has a full sized shower/tub combo thing, with a sink and toilet and a little bit of floor space.

Mine was built 100 years ago. I'm lucky it even has a bathroom. We have four bedrooms, one bath. Pedestal sink, claw foot tub. We put a shower in the basement. But you should see my kitchen. It's even more basic than my bathroom lol

That sounds like the house I grew up in! Dutch Colonial, one bathroom upstairs, at the top of the stairs. Four bedrooms (one without a closet, weird) a useless kitchen (freestanding stove/oven with no counters next to it) with the fridge in the mudroom, a fancy butler pantry, lots of built-ins and fancy woodwork. Two of the bedroom closets had windows, of which I used to climb out and slide down the pillars of the front porch to run away :)

We have an ensuite with toilet, sink, jetted tub and shower. Works well. I hate the idea of the separate toilet. Grosses me out when I see those in show homes. I want anyone using the toilet to wash their hands before touching the door knob. This isn't a public washroom.

I've seen large new show homes with the HUGE bathrooms with no door. Just a door on the toilet "closet". They are spectacular to see but I wouldn't actually want one. Maybe if I was immensely rich and had a mansion. Not in a normal suburban home.

Oh and I hate the idea of having to go through the bathroom to get to the closet.

That sounds like the house I grew up in! Dutch Colonial, one bathroom upstairs, at the top of the stairs. Four bedrooms (one without a closet, weird) a useless kitchen (freestanding stove/oven with no counters next to it) with the fridge in the mudroom, a fancy butler pantry, lots of built-ins and fancy woodwork. Two of the bedroom closets had windows, of which I used to climb out and slide down the pillars of the front porch to run away :)

American Foursquare here. One bathroom-upstairs. Also one bedroom with no closet, although at one time it was common for all bedrooms to be closetless and people used wardrobes. Still do in much of Europe. I have no counters near my stove and less than two feet of counter space on either side of my sink, and that's all the counter spade I have! My kitchen has two windows and three doors, though, including a swinging door between the kitchen and the dining room. Our fridge is in the basement, as we don't have a mudroom lol. We don't have a butler pantry either but I grew up in a bungalow that had one. That house was quite a bit older than our present home. It was lovely.

Our house is a large, old (built in 1900 or so) 2-story farmhouse. DH grew up in this house, and his parents gutted it and fully remodeled it in 1974. We got married in '75 and moved here in '80 (his parents built a smaller home next door) and haven't done much interior remodeling to the original part of the house except for new carpet, paint, etc. in a few of the rooms. We did add on a 24'x24' family room, 3-level deck and put new siding on the whole house in '87. It has 3 bathrooms, 2 down and 1 up. The main bathroom is beside the master bedroom on the first level. The other downstairs bathroom is just off the back entrance (DH and his Dad are farmers and it was designed so that when they came inside after a long day of working in the fields and with the livestock they could take two steps and be in the bathroom and take a shower). All 3 bathrooms are split into two small rooms: one has the toilet, tub/shower and the other has the sinks/vanity areas. I prefer bathrooms that way, so one person can be showering and another can be brushing their teeth, etc. at the sink. I prefer hotel rooms that have bathrooms that way as well. I would love to have a larger, more modern bathroom, with a jetted tub, walk-in closet, etc. but doubt it will ever happen in this house. We may eventually move in another 10 years or so, or build a smaller home somewhere, haven't decided that for sure.

No, our master bath isn't that large, but it's adequate.

It's one of the bathrooms w/ 2 separate areas - the main area has the sink & cabinets and DH's closet. The other area which has its own door has the toilet & shower.

We don't have a dream master bath, &, when we moved into this house, I really thought I was going to miss having a bathtub in the master bathroom. And, as it turns out, I don't miss the tub at all.

When we redo our bathroom, I just plan to make the shower larger. And, if we ever built a house, instead of putting a bathtub in the master bathroom, I'd want a huge, luxurious shower w/ multiple shower heads.

No master bath here. We have 1 full bath upstairs and a half bath downstairs. The full bath upstairs is fairly small, no room for a hamper or anything but it works for us. It's also jack and Jill style in that there are 2 doors. One opens into the hallway and one opens into the master bedroom. It's nothing special but it works for us. The unique feature is the full sink vanity in the master bedroom. I usually do my hair, makeup and brush my teeth there. It helps free up bathroom space if we are all trying to get ready at the same time. I also make my DS brush his teeth at the vanity in my room, usually while I am doing my makeup. I don't have to stop what I am doing but I can keep an eye on him and make sure he's doing a sufficient job.

We had a tiny master powder room that was attached to the main bath and our room. We closed it off from our room and just made the main bath bigger when we remodeled it.

We do. Our shower is 5x7 with 2 heads, separate vanities, toilet area and a great closet w designed. We added on around 800 sf to our house - it's our master bed/bath and laundry room. Worth.Every.Penny.

Yes, we have a very large master bathroom, actually two big rooms. One large room, not sure of the dimensions, has the soaking tub, two stall shower and the toilet. The other room has the two sinks and very spacious counter top. I am very grateful. My children's bathroom is very large, two rooms with three doorways to enter three respective bedrooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter