Do the characters mind? *~Best character interaction stories~*

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneydude365

In dreams you will lose your heartaches
(posted this once before but couldn't decide which was best forum)

So do the characters face or masked enjoy getting pictures and interacting with older fans (like me for example 22 year old guy, but I'll admit look younger) or do they prefer us to move along so they can get to the younger guests?

I can understand in lines you get looks from other guests like why are you taking up times from my actaual kid? I see it as we're all children in Disney but not sure if the characters are just being nice to older because they have to or if they honestly don't mind. I'll be honest I've always loved characters don't think the magic will ever wear off and would hate to think they might treat you slightly different due to age.

Any advice or anyone who's been friends with characters have any insight?

I don't know their actual opinion, but the characters have been nothing but sweet and accommodating to my fiance and I, and all of our adult friends. They've always treated us like friends, no different than the little ones. :)

My advice is you just do your thing. Enjoy yourself.

I don't know their actual opinion, but the characters have been nothing but sweet and accommodating to my fiance and I, and all of our adult friends. They've always treated us like friends, no different than the little ones. :)

My advice is you just do your thing. Enjoy yourself.

I will try that lol I'm just a in general a shy person but at Disney I always have wanted to come out of my shell! But not sure if they are wanting to or not I'm the type that doesn't wanna make anyone do something they'd rather not so I usually go for the standard hello (you're my favorite if I meet that specific character) and smile I'm trying to open up more for upcoming trip though

Based on observation, kids are either smiling from happiness and excitement or terrified and indifferent from shyness, boredom or exhaustion.

With older guests or adults I can interact with the characters as if they're 'friends' and actually have conversation especially with face characters which i think make the day more entertaining and enjoyable to the CM and magical to the older 'kids.'

I am 55 and have no problem interacting with the characters and always queue up for photos. I even have one of my husband "bouncing" with Tigger. As I got told by Disney - they are no kids and adults - just big kids and little kids:thumbsup2

I'm really happy to hear that the characters interact with you as they would normally makes it seem even more special! I'm hoping to re meet my favorite this upcoming trip and hoping for at least one other character!

My son in law went for the first time for dd's and his honeymoon. While DD was in the bathroom at a character meal, her dh and Daisy Duck took some pretty funny selfies. After that, he was all about the characters and they seemed to love him too.

The big 6'5" guy loved everything about Disney World. They werent even there two days and he was talking about their next trip. He doesn't seem the type who would love Disney either. He's a guys guy, avid hunter and fisherman, into sports, very macho. But his selfies with Daisy just make him laugh.

I think there are probably some adults who freak the characters out, just like in real life, but for the most part I think they like interacting with everyone.

They've always been very nice in the parks. I notice that they seem to be quicker with the adults in the character buffets though.

They've always been very nice in the parks. I notice that they seem to be quicker with the adults in the character buffets though.

We have never experienced this. We have had wonderful interactions and nothing rushed about it in character meals. We are a couple at 55 and 60 years old. Been going since the 1980s. I have gone solo many times and never felt slighted or that they rushed. In fact as much as the characters love the kids I think us older " kids " can be a nice little break of routine for them ;)

OP Have fun, relax, you won't be taking any time away from a child.

I just turned 23 while I was just in the world but I look (and act a lot of the time along with feeling like I'm still) 17. I've only experienced a few times when I felt almost shoved out the door because I'm not a tiny one. Two different times that stick in my head is when they has the little Remy in Le Chefs de France. The first and last times I went, a man was bringing Remy to the tables and spent less than five seconds at the tables without Tiny ones. Kinda broke my heart a bit, as Remy is one of my favorite characters. The second time, a woman was bringing Remy around. I'll never forget her name, Amelie and she spent a VERY good amount of time at our table translating for Remy as he squeaked to me and we had a conversation. It was purely magical. That man was a grouch, though so I shouldn't have been surprised. It's happened with some princesses too, which is so sad since I've always been a princess fan. More so with Cinderella and Belle (though this trip I had a really nice experience with Cinderella, ironically) as of recent years. I've always had AMAZING experiences with Ariel, Aurora and Merida though. Both times I saw Princess Anna this past trip were just completely wonderful experiences. So it really depends on the character for me and even then it still depends.

Mary Poppins actually seemed kind of pleased and relieved to have a little adult interaction when DW and I met her a few years ago. She made a comment that might have been a bit risque to say to kids.

In fact as much as the characters love the kids I think us older " kids " can be a nice little break of routine for them ;)

I completely agree. DSis and I once met Buzz and Woody with a Sheriff Woody doll I had won at Disneyland. After an hour+ of trying to keep toddlers still for photographs (and two "cookie breaks"), Woody seemed like he did NOT want to let us go, and both he and Buzz thoroughly enjoyed having the doll to play off of. It was a great few minutes which felt like we spent a great deal of time with the pair. Chip and Dale always seem to enjoy us as well once we reveal we're avid Rescue Ranger fans (complete with tee shirts) and I've never had a bad experience with Cinderella's Step-Family. Lady Tremaine especially seemed relieved to have fellow adults to speak to. The only times I remember characters seeming even remotely disinterested were young princesses who were more comfortable around the little ones and weren't sure how to entertain their "big kid" guests.

As others have said, just be yourself - shy or otherwise! If you think it would help, have some conversation starters. Kenny the Pirate has a page, I think, with things others have said which garnered great reactions. (A tip, though, Woody and Buzz no longer react to "Andy's coming!")

They don't care how old you are at all. And guests who get annoyed because adults want to meet characters are indulging in sour grapes.

and as long as they are nice to you, does it matter if they are faking it or not?

I have had Duffy dance with me. I have told Minnie that I would tell Mickey she was flirting with my husband. Pluto licked my face. At F&W, Goofy tried to go with us when he saw I was carrying the F&W plates (the plastic ones they sell to hold your food and drink from the booths). Vidia had a long conversation with my husband at MNSSHP when he had purple on his costume.

I think the one thing to remember is that the characters are most likely the same age and probably love Disney just as much as you.

Remember - the people who play the characters' lives are (I'd assume) pretty saturated by Disney. Playing Chip and Dale or Mickey is/was a dream of theirs, so they can understand the affinity of an older fan who grew up with the characters.

Also, I feel like Disney has done a lot in recent years to make Disney appealing to older guests. I highly doubt they would be very accepting of characters shooing away older guests.

With that said, I've had nothing but fun with the characters. I remember one year I was wearing sunglasses in the picture. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed and was just not in the mood for Disney's antics (yes, it happens sometimes.. but I usually break out of it pretty quick.) I wanted to go on the rides and eat. Well, my family wanted a picture with Chip and Dale. They both sensed that I was frustrated and came over and took my sunglasses. They put them on upside down making fun of me. Once I got past the fact that they were playing with my $150 Ray Bans :rotfl2: a smile came to my face and my day was saved. So yes, they do treat adults the same way! pixiedust:

Well, if they DO mind, they do a really good job of hiding it! I've had some wonderful interactions with characters over the years.

(posted this once before but couldn't decide which was best forum)

So do the characters face or masked enjoy getting pictures and interacting with older fans (like me for example 22 year old guy, but I'll admit look younger) or do they prefer us to move along so they can get to the younger guests?

I can understand in lines you get looks from other guests like why are you taking up times from my actaual kid? I see it as we're all children in Disney but not sure if the characters are just being nice to older because they have to or if they honestly don't mind. I'll be honest I've always loved characters don't think the magic will ever wear off and would hate to think they might treat you slightly different due to age.

Any advice or anyone who's been friends with characters have any insight?

I'm 52 and my sweetie is a bit older than that...........we just did WDW is Sept and had nothing but wonderful experiences with Characters..........Tink was especially gracious........spent 2 or 3 minutes meeting/greeting/talking. Did 3 character breakfasts and felt like the characters were great to us. Finally, Grumpy pointed out my sweetie during the FOF parade.......came over and took a selfie with her...........totally initiated by the character! Remember we did visit in Sept when its slower. I would imagine during busier times......EVERYONE is impacted.

We love the characters and the interaction...........it's a big part of the magic for us................:woohoo:

Have a great trip :wizard:

Doug :goofy:

It's happened with some princesses too, which is so sad since I've always been a princess fan. More so with Cinderella and Belle (though this trip I had a really nice experience with Cinderella, ironically) as of recent years. I've always had AMAZING experiences with Ariel, Aurora and Merida though. Both times I saw Princess Anna this past trip were just completely wonderful experiences. So it really depends on the character for me and even then it still depends.

SAME!! I'm only 17 and I encountered some condescending princesses this trip.

Two of my three cinderella experiences were bad. My first one (1900PF), she rushed to our table, signed my little sister's book, said something about a glass slipper and dashed to the next table, then played around with a baby for like ten minutes. The second one wasn't bad. It was Akershus the day afterwards and she was actually pretty sweet. The third time was at PFTH and she was really condescending. She asked me where my family was and I said they were at the hotel and she said "oh". ?????

My Belle experiences were okay. She was pretty sweet but not very engaging/interested in my sister and I both times. The first time, we had a short conversation about books at Akershus. The second time, I did Enchanted Tales with Belle (alone), and I was Mrs. Potts, and she thanked me very sincerely for acting out the story.

I agree with you on Ariel, Aurora, Merida, and ESPECIALLY Anna. Which is good, because Ariel is my favorite princess and she is AMAZING every time I see her. She's so funny and sweet! Anna and I said "chocolate" at the same time and we both shared the same excited look, which was a really magical moment for us. Aurora was great, too. Merida was so kind to me because I was the last to meet her that day due to inclement weather. Welcomed me with a hug. The CAs were rushing us, so she was very apologetic for being rushed. We share the same kind of hair, so she also said "and you know how our hair gets in this kind of weather" and such. She told me she maintained it with spring water.

There have been several times when i will show Chip my pin of Dale and he will scold me for not having one of him. Chip and Dale love interacting with adults and being funny with it. At the dance party during HS late EMH the characters will all dance with the adults and treat you just like a kid.

Ok these stories are just great everyone! Thank you everyone who has shared. Before I was in wheelchair, and managed to get up up and tried to get a picture the characters would allay be accommodating (strong grip, holding up, letting you kinda lean on them) now I use a cane or a walker so it's good to know that getting older wouldn't change much honestly character experiences are the best part of my trip even if some trips I'm not able to make it to them I just stay sitting and watch them interact with others and I just smile at how great they are I don't wanna lose that magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter