Do I really have to eat dessert again?! COMPLETE!

Tusker House - January 7th, 2016 - Lunch

On this morning, we didn't eat breakfast - we just snacked on a few of the things we had ordered from Amazon and had shipped to our hotel. Our first meal of the day was supposed to be at Tusker House at 1:10pm, however after going on a few rides I was not feeling very good. We decided to head over to the restaurant to see if we could get in early, and they were able to seat us around 12:30.

I was so excited to eat here - it was our first character meal of the trip! I quickly ordered a glass of water, and headed straight to the buffet. I really wasn't feeling good, so my main focus was on getting something into my body - therefore there are no pictures of our first plates of food. I do know that my first plate was mainly salad, and it wasn't even close to being a full plate.

We did not have to wait long before the first character approached our table - I had already drank an entire glass of water by this point so I was feeling slightly better (nothing, not even my Crohn's was going to stop me from getting pictures with the characters!).

I ended up going back to the buffet two more times for food, and I actually remembered to take a picture of one of them:

Starting at the top center and going right, that's mashed potatoes and gravy, caesar salad, plantains, some kind of bread, a potato and pea samosa, basmati rice and carved pork (I think it's the Kenyan BBQ pork if you look at the sauce between the rice and meat). As I mentioned before, I'm not an overly adventurous eater so my plate looks a little boring. There are so many options here, so both picky eaters (like me) and adventurous eaters (like Luke) can find a ton of things to satisfy! I know I had green beans from the kid's section at one point, and more of the carved meat options.

When I went up for dessert, I couldn't decide on what I wanted, so I think I grabbed a full plate and then split everything with Luke.

Again, starting at the top in the center and going right, I want to say it was some kind of lemon bread?, pecan chocolate squre, fruit tart, coconut macaroon, chocolate brownie, and two other types of squares (I don't remember exactly what they were). Luke ate the bread and the fruit tart. We split everything else. The pecan chocolate thing was so good, it was chewy and dense and just all around amazing. I'm a big fan of coconut macaroons, and this one did not disappoint. Everything else was good, but forgettable.

There were 4 characters in total who visited our table during our meal, all of whom were dressed in Safari outfits - Mickey, Donald, Daisy and Goofy. Since the restaurant was not even close to being full, we ended up seeing a couple of the characters 2 or 3 times.

I somehow missed getting a picture with Goofy... At one point during the meal, Goofy actually came into the room where we were and tried to gather all of the kids to join him in a little parade, clapping their hands and dancing around the room. There were only like 3 kids who actually went up, and Luke felt bad, so he went and joined them. He followed Goofy around the room twice clapping his hands and laughing. It was really cute!

The food was amazing here, Luke is still talking about it and it is already on our wishlist of ADR's for our next trip to WDW in January 2017. I managed to eat a lot of food, but I still was not feeling well at all. I actually had to make 3 trips to the bathroom during our meal :( Stupid Crohn's :(

After scanning our magic bands for a table service credit each, and paying the tip out of pocket we left. If we were paying out of pocket, it would have cost $41.99/each or $89.44 for both of us after tax (before tip).

The theming of this restaurant is incredible! The main area where the buffet is located is set up to look like an open air market, the Safari gear costumes the characters wear are adorable and there are so many tiny details throughout the entire building tying it all together. I wish I wasn't so sick that day, otherwise I would have taken more pictures! There's always next time :)

Last edited:
Joining in...

I'm terrified of birds, too, so I would have freaked out at that giant bird.

I love that Luke got up and joined the parade!

Enjoying your reviews so far!

Just popping in to say that I am a HUGE fan of TGA, so I like your husband's shirt...and also your first name. ha ha!

This is so awesome, thanks so much for going through and documenting and posting all the wonderful pictures and food experiences you had. This helps me know some of the wonderful things to expect when we go soon.

Loving your report! I love that you include the price breakdown. Now I'm definitely going to Pecos Bill after seeing your plate. It looks so good!

Following along. I like the cost breakdown.

:welcome: Thanks for reading!

Joining in...

I'm terrified of birds, too, so I would have freaked out at that giant bird.

I love that Luke got up and joined the parade!

Enjoying your reviews so far!

:welcome: I was shaking a little bit after that bird encounter... I actually found the video I took of Luke joining in that parade, and I laughed so hard at it!

OMG! I had a bird steal my churro in Mexico WS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd be so angry - no one comes between me and my Disney churros! Haha.

Just popping in to say that I am a HUGE fan of TGA, so I like your husband's shirt...and also your first name. ha ha!

:welcome: TGA is actually Luke's favourite band! I bought him a really nice poster the last time we saw them in concert, and then I had it framed and it now hangs in our kitchen. Haha, Luke was really excited about my first name too! And, TGA comes from New Brunswick, New Jersey - I come from New Brunswick, Canada!

Great reviews!

Thanks for reading!

This is so awesome, thanks so much for going through and documenting and posting all the wonderful pictures and food experiences you had. This helps me know some of the wonderful things to expect when we go soon.
:welcome: Have a wonderful trip! I love writing about our Disney trip, it helps take me back there (even if it's only in my memories!)

Loving your report! I love that you include the price breakdown. Now I'm definitely going to Pecos Bill after seeing your plate. It looks so good!
:welcome: Thanks for reading along! I was very focused on making sure the dining plan was the right decision, so I tried tracking it really closely. I loved Pecos Bills's, and it's on our list to go back to on our next trip in January 2017!

Sorry I haven't been updating much lately, I was on vacation for two weeks in my hometown, where the internet connection isn't the greatest... but now that I'm back in Alberta it's time to get back to it!

Intermission Food Court - January 7 - Supper

After eating at Tusker House, I really wanted to push forward with our day, but I was really sick. I realized I would not be able to make it to our planned supper reservation (and even if I did, I would not enjoy myself at all) so I sadly had to call to cancel our ADR for 1900 Park Fare :sad:. Since we had every day of our trip planned with ADR's, there was no time slots that worked with our schedule to try and get back to it, I was really sad about that.

After sadly spending the better part of the next hour in the washroom feeling really sick, we decided to call it a day and head back to our hotel. We arrived back to our hotel around 3:15pm. I immediately crawled into bed but was in too much discomfort to fall asleep right away. Luke decided he should try for a nap as well, since we knew we had a very early morning the next day for the 10km race. I eventually did fall asleep, and we both napped until a little after 6pm. After waking up I was feeling a bit better, but definitely not 100% and I knew I didn't want to go too far to get supper, so we decided to just eat at Intermission Food Court at All Star Music.

Luke does not like carb-loading the night before a race like a lot of people do, he prefers to just try and have a healthyish meal (no deep fried things). He chose the pot roast with green beans and mashed potatoes ($10.49). Since we were on the dining plan, he also grabbed a chocolate dipped Mickey rice krispie ($4.49) and some milk ($2.49). He really liked his meal (although he had a better pot roast the next day), but overall he was pleased with the food for the cost, especially since this was a "food court" meal.

I went for the turkey with green beans and mashed potatoes ($11.99), with a bottle of Coke ($2.99) and a chocolate muffin ($3.99). I was really impressed by this, the turkey was actually carved when I ordered it so it was still nice and moist and not all dried out from sitting under a heat lamp for hours. It was one of those all white meat turkey breats, not the entire turkey, but it was quite tasty! The mashed potatoes were good, the gravy had flavour to it and the green beans were fairly standard (and nothing will compare to those green beans from BOG!). Overall, another great option from Intermission Food Court (I assumed 3 star hotel, 3 star food but that was not the case!). Also yes, I really like pepper haha.

We used 1 quick service credit each for this meal. We had brought our refillable mugs with us, so I saved my bottle of Coke for later in the trip, and just drank water. The muffin I also saved, and ate for breakfast the next morning (breakfast of Champions, am I right?!). If we were paying out of pocket, the cost would have been $36.44 + tax, so not a terrible use of 2 quick service credits in my opinion.

Luke also picked up a yogurt parfait ($5.49) to eat the next morning before his race, and used a snack credit for it - so a really great use of one of those!

After eating I did feel a bit better, but we decided to call it an early night and we were both asleep again by 9pm - ready for a SUPER early morning wakeup the next day.

Dining Plan Cost Breakdown - Up to End of Day January 7th, 2016

2 nights at Disney - 2 people, $240 spent on the DDP

4 Quick Service Credits (2 each) - 3 used - $61.13

4 Table Service Credits (2 each) - all used - $180.27

4 Snack Credits (2 each) - only 2 used - $8.98

$250.38 worth of food - $240 paid but 1 Quick Serve Credit and 2 Snack Credits carried forward.

Out of pocket: $32.07 at Intermission Food Court, plus $13 for beer at BOG and tip at BOG and Tusker House.

Joining in! I'm enjoying your photos so far & it looks like you did great with the DDP value. :)

I'm also going to be stay at ASMu for the first time this coming fall so it's helpful to see pics & read about their food. I tend to be more of a food snob but you can't really go wrong w/chicken nuggets anywhere on property. Thankfully, my boyfriend is not as picky as I am so he will enjoy the food there.

Enjoying your report :thumbsup2

Thanks for reading!

Joining in! I'm enjoying your photos so far & it looks like you did great with the DDP value. :)

I'm also going to be stay at ASMu for the first time this coming fall so it's helpful to see pics & read about their food. I tend to be more of a food snob but you can't really go wrong w/chicken nuggets anywhere on property. Thankfully, my boyfriend is not as picky as I am so he will enjoy the food there.

I enjoyed ASMu, it was basically Disney's version of a Super 8 Motel. It was clean and had a bed - that's all I really cared about since we spent most of our time in the parks. I'm a very picky eater, but Intermission Food Court at ASMu has a very extensive menu with a ton of options for everyone!

50's Prime Time - January 8th, 2016 - Lunch

It was a very early morning for us this day, as Luke ran in the 10km as part of Marathon Weekend (you can read all about his race and see pictures of some of the characters he met over on my trip report, the link is in my signature!). I ate my chocolate muffin from supper the night before, since I wasn't running and could get away with chocolate for breakfast. Luke ate his snack credit yogurt he had picked up the night before, as well as a mini box of cereal he had purchased at the food court and some fruit. After his race, we came back to our hotel room so he could shower (and I could change into dry clothes, since it had rained most of the morning and I was soaked from sitting for a few hours). We ate a few of the snacks we had delivered to our room from an Amazon order, and some of the things from the post-run box they gave Luke. After showering/changing/warming up, we headed out to Hollywood Studios for the day.

We had an 11:30 reservation at 50's Prime Time, and I was really looking forward to it (it came heavily recommended by family/friends). We checked in a few minutes early, and only waited a few minutes before they called for us and led us to a table - one with a TV!

I had read all about this restaurant, and knew exactly what to expect - and of course our server called me out for having my elbows on the table within the first 5 minutes of being there...

I had also read the menu online, so I knew exactly what I wanted to order. Here is a wonderfully lit picture of the menu for anyone who is interested haha:

I went for the chicken pot pie with a glass of water and a vanilla coke since it was included on the dining plan. I love vanilla coke, but for some reason it has only recently started being sold in Canada (and only in 500mL bottles - I'd be buying cases of that stuff if I could!)

For some reason I couldn't get the lighting right for a picture of my food, but the picture of Luke's food turned out awesome?

Luke ordered the Peanut butter and jelly milkshake and the sampling of mom's favourites - fried chicken, pot roast and meatloaf, with mashed potatoes and green beans.

See what I mean about the lighting for the pictures of our two meals?!

I really would have loved to have a milkshake, but I knew my stomach would not be happy with that - I still wasn't 100% from the day before - so I just stuck to the vanilla coke.

Luke loved the milkshake, and has already said he wants to stop by 50's Prime Time on our next trip just to get one. He also really enjoyed his meal a lot. I'm not a meatloaf fan at all, but I did try his pot roast and chicken and they were both great! His potatoes and gravy were also pretty tasty, I might have snuck a taste of those too haha.

My meal ended up being my least favourite of our entire trip. I don't know if I just didn't like the chicken pot pie (which is absurd - I love that stuff!) or if I just wasn't myself that day. As mentioned earlier, I still wasn't feeling 100%, and we woke up so early my body might have just been angry at me. Don't get me wrong, the food wasn't bad, I just thought the flavours were simply ok.

When our server, who was an older man who's name I can't remember - but he was awesome - came to take our dessert menu my first thought was "ugh! Dessert again!?". I rarely, if ever, order dessert at a restaurant, but since it was paid for already and included on the dining plan I felt obligated to order it with every meal.

I decided on the apple crumble a la mode, one of my favourite desserts, but I asked for it with less ice cream than they would normally serve with it. I'm not sure if this request was honored or not, but it didn't really matter. This was so sweet I could only eat a few bites of it before calling it quits. I was quite sad about that, I hardly ever cook or bake (Luke is the chef in our house) but apple crumble is one of my go-to desserts to make and I'd have to day mine is better than the one at 50's (which is really saying something - and trust me it's the only thing we ate on the entire trip that I would say that about).

26576566406_4eb9f69a12_c.jpg

Luke went for the cheesecake, which was served with raspberries, whipped cream and a fresh mint leaf. He enjoyed it, and let me try and I agreed it was much better than the dessert I had ordered.

26329728890_54215f5557_c.jpg

Overall, the restaurant was a lot of fun! Our server was a lot of fun, he was an older gentleman who kept calling me Peggy Sue. We watched as a person at a nearby table was punished by standing with her nose against the wall, and a group of tables of strangers being led to shout things in unison. We didn't have to deal with any embarrassing punishments, except our server kept reminding me of how I had my elbows on the table when we first got there.

I really wanted to love this place, and maybe I just ordered the wrong things off the menu? I'd be willing to give it another shot, and probably order the pot roast next time, but you won't hear me raving about this experience.

We used two table service credits for our meal, and only paid the tip out of pocket. If we were not on the dining plan, it would have cost $21.99 (Luke's meal) + $5.99 (PB&J shake) + $5.99 (cheesecake) + $19.99 (chicken pot pie) + $3.49 (coke) + $7.99 (apple crumble) = $69.70 after tax. But - if we were not on the dining plan, we definitely wouldn't have ordered dessert - we didn't end up finishing either one.

My meal ended up being my least favourite of our entire trip. I don't know if I just didn't like the chicken pot pie (which is absurd - I love that stuff!) or if I just wasn't myself that day. As mentioned earlier, I still wasn't feeling 100%, and we woke up so early my body might have just been angry at me. Don't get me wrong, the food wasn't bad, I just thought the flavours were simply ok.

When our server, who was an older man who's name I can't remember - but he was awesome - came to take our dessert menu my first thought was "ugh! Dessert again!?". I rarely, if ever, order dessert at a restaurant, but since it was paid for already and included on the dining plan I felt obligated to order it with every meal.

I really wanted to love this place, and maybe I just ordered the wrong things off the menu? I'd be willing to give it another shot, and probably order the pot roast next time, but you won't hear me raving about this experience.

I totally hear you about 50's. My friend & I went there a couple years ago & I ordered the sampler & I believe he ordered the fried chicken meal. I don't remember much about the meal which says a lot. I do remember thinking the chicken was a bit on the dry side so I didn't finish all of it. I couldn't been there on an off day though b/c I have heard others who really enjoy the chicken & pot roast from there. Our server was a younger woman who really wasn't into the 'show' much with us. We seemed to be her only table in the room; the rest of the room had this older man who was pretty entertaining to watch when he'd mess around with the guests at his tables. So all in all, I'd skip it in the future but am glad I did it once to experience it at least.

As far as the DDP goes, I was lucky enough to be able to add it onto a reservation I got with a friend's CM discount so I thought either way, I was bound to break even. But I didn't realize how little I normally eat at WDW. I think most of it has to do with walking around all day/night in the heat. Other than that, I never drink anything other than ice water or sometimes I'll order an adult beverage. I don't care for soft drinks & never eat dessert b/c I'm not big into sweets. I felt alright more with the DDP since we'd use a couple credits to do HDDR or pick a signature which was a rare treat for us. But once I went with the QSDDP & I'll never do that again. It was just Way too much food to eat at once & I felt Blah all day afterward. Your title of this DR caught my attention b/c of that reason. Lol!

Love your dining report! Great details! We are using the Dining Plan for the first time so this is super helpful! Loved your review on Tusker House as we have an ADR for dinner. I, too, live with Chron's so I totally understand how that can wreck your eating plans! :crazy2: Subbing!!!!

Sorry you weren't feeling to good at PT 50s. I hope you try it again, I love their pot roast!

I'm following along your terrific report. Your pics are dynamite!! I'm with you about 50's PT. We have been there a few times over the years and I just don't get all the hype. I do love their pot roast, but I don't need to rush back for the pot roast. The antics get kind of old to me after the first visit...even IF you score an entertaining server, which is hit or miss. We have tried every place at DHS except Sci-Fi which I doubt we will ever try, I don't like the concept. Our favorite was Mama Melrose. We would definitely go back there! We actually even prefer MM over HBD!

I would guess the difference in exposures on the two plates has to do with distance. The camera might have been picking up a lot more ambient light on the plate further from you.

I know when I am not feeling great nothing tastes good, but I'd never order anything but fried chicken at 50's pt lol. We are going to Sci Fi dine in on the DxDDP and I am honestly hoping to get a shake for my beverage, a shake for dessert and give it to my kiddo and skip dessert entirely. I do like desserts but to me a shake is pretty much a dessert that you just consume with your meal. Also some desserts look a lot more appealing to me than others... for some reason none of the desserts at either 50's PT or Sci Fi dine in appeal to me! They do have fruit as an option at the latter though which maybe I will get and take for a snack later.

hoping you are feeling better on the rest of your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter