DL outshining WDW?

CouchTater

Mouseketeer
After watching the awesome new videos for Cars Land in DL I'm starting to feel that WDW has become a little lackluster now in comparison. While the Fantasy Land expansion is nice and great for the kids as adults who love the parks I don't feel there is anything drawing me back. Ticket prices are increasing while quality and " wow" factor is decreasing. Unfortunately California is too far and costly for us although I definitely have an increased incentive to go but less incentive to go to WDW. It's time that Disney sent a little more magic down to Florida . It's supposed to be the crown jewel of the theme park world but DL is starting to make it pale in comparison. They outdo them on the Christmas decor, have a better Fantasmic, The World Of Color and a host of better rides and it seems that WDW and it's parks have become the forgotten step child and they're doing on space probably less than a tenth of what's available in Fl. I think it's being taken for granted that people will go to WDW regardless so why spend any more. All I see are cutbacks and less magic. There's nothing to keep us old timers coming back.

It depends on what you mean, I don't compare WDW as a whole with DL because they are quite a bit different. WDW was blessed with being able to get a lot of land bought, whereas you couldn't buy as much land for DL so less parks.

If you were to compare DL to MK, I much prefer DL and feel like the atmosphere is better, yes it's harder to maneuver around the park because it's not as wide (which is a perk for WDW), I think the rides are better at DL, along with the parades and fireworks. But people tend to want to go to WDW more because it's 'bigger', and not want to go to the old park, the original because it's "older" and there are a lot more ride issues at DL I have found. I love DL, and I love MK.. MK is one of my favorite WDW parks, but if i had to choose I would say DL. But I wouldn't feel discouraged about going to WDW! It's still magical, the prices are going up at DL too.

I hear Cars Land is going to be great, as will fantasyland at WDW, I am planning to go back next year, hopefully in Jan. of 2013 again, but only visiting MK and another WDW park.

I hope you do go back to WDW though! There is magic everywhere if you just believe! :)

The photos I saw from CarsLand today are the only thing that has ever really made me interested in going to DL (and maybe World of Color - that looks amazing).

That would be a huge trip for us though from the east coast, so I haven't figured out an affordable way for us to do it and keep doing all the other things we want/like to do. Choices, choices - if only we were independently wealthy with no jobs!

Well I guess thats kind of my point. Walt bought the land in Fa. because he was too limited in what he could do in Calif. yet despite its lack of size DL has the better rides, better fireworks, better parades. What good is size if it's not being utilized properly? I have to go to 4 parks in Fl. to see what Ca. has done in two and done better. EPCOT and Hollywood Studios have both seen better days, AK is fun but is basically a half day park. Avatar Land is a knee jerk reaction to Universal's Harry Potter .Disney has all these great properties to base attractions on but spend their money on outside properties. I'd love to have the luxury of being to go to both DL and WDW if I did I wouldn't have a complaint. I've been going to WDW since it opened. It's been 45 years since I went to DL.Guess it's just envy since I'll probably never get to see Cars Land or the other attractions I mentioned in Ca. I'm sure I'll still being going to WDW considering I'm planning on moving to the area soon. I love WDW but I feel it's being neglected and want to see it restored to it's former glory!

Don't worry, this is a cycle that the parks seem to go through, for the longest time, we were the neglected stepchild. We are simply catching up, now that we are there, I would expect more attention to go back to Disney World.

It would be nice if they could do both at once, but they can't seem to get that going.

We've been toying with the idea of heading out to DL. Some reasons are rides that WDW doesn't have - Nemo subs (20,000 leagues was my FAV), Monsters Inc ride, handful of other dark rides WDW doesn't have. REALLy want to see Dumbo fly during fireworks! Would be nice to check out DL in general. Was curious to try out Carsland - but after seeing pics/video, yeah, it looks cool, but not a must do to get my butt all the way out to DL.

WDW we really enjoy the resorts. Have looked into the DL resorts - and can't see the value in them, would stay instead across the street magicless at Best Western.
We love all the dining at WDW - even love the SIZE of WDW. We actually enjoy riding the buses, taking the boats around WDW.
Would hate to go to DL and end up being disappointed. I know they are both different, but in our minds maybe it would be just not enough for us and be like a tease to us and make us say oh, should have just stuck with WDW instead.
Not sure I can justify the longer and more $ flight for it either.

Have given it a lot of thought and planning. Original thought was 5 days at DL - now we're done to thinking 3 is enough for us to see what is unique to DL and that's it.
I do get jealous when I see new things at DL that WDW doesn't get - Dumbo am most jealous about. The Soundsational parade looks great, WOC looks neat to see.
I do thiink the new Fantasyland will be amazing when it is complete, and am looking forward to that. Just wish WDW would add some of the rides that DL has and WDW doesnt'.

I grew up on the east coast with WDW and that was my gold standard for Disney. Got married and moved west and the first Disney park my kiddos went to was DL. My first reaction to DL was utter shock when we entered and I got my first glimpse of the castle. Actually, the first words out of my mouth were, "Are you kidding me? THAT'S the castle?" :rotfl2:

Now, after going to both parks on a regular basis, I can honestly say that I prefer DL's MK'S over WDW's by a longshot (and that sentence was brought to you by "Acronyms are Us") :lmao: . It's more magical, cozier, cuter and just seems to have that extra sprinkling of pixie dust. Maybe it just has more Walt and less corporate, IDK...

Anyway, we go to both, we love both, and WDW will always be "my" Disney park, but DL has earned a very special place in my heart. :lovestruc If you've never been, give it a try...I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Last visit WDW:Sept.2011 (Been about 20 times)
Last Visit DL: May 2012 (first visit in May 2005-so ths was 2nd visit)

WDW outshines DL in many aspects when it comes to food quality, very poor for most meals we ate including hotel dining,resturaunt atmosphere, character greetings(at meals and in the parks). I also felt WDW's Magic Kingdom was layed out better than DL's Magic kingdom. DL was just awkward to me.I may be biased as I just found it very difficult to get around, find things etc. I may be overly use to the MK park in WDW..where I know where everything is and i don't even need a map.

Also seeing CM's crossing the street, getting off buses etc.....(we stayed Good Neighbor-Ramada Main gate) ..walking in with us in their costumes REALLY turned me off. I know their just workers going to work but I didn't like it. I prefer not seeing that.

I will say I loved Tootown, very cute,fun.....I liked POTC and Peter Pan better at DL over WDW and I thought HM was equal.

I felt stores had very little merchandise, we saw the same stuff everywhere..with little variety even between the 2 parks. I know WDW has this too..BUT it seemed more extreme at DL.

I thought I would get more sense of history at DL or the MAgic over WDW but I didn't. I feel more in the magic at WDW than DL.

I will go back to DL. I want to see Carsland. I just prefer WDW over DL.

I will also add that 5 days (which IS way to long at DL, staying off site a a good neighbor hotel) cost us way more than a 7 day trip staying value at WDW.

WDW is better in so many ways than DL. More attractions, hotels and better places to eat will always make the World better than her West Coast sibling. Plus, no trip to the left coast is always a plus.

After watching the awesome new videos for Cars Land in DL I'm starting to feel that WDW has become a little lackluster now in comparison. While the Fantasy Land expansion is nice and great for the kids as adults who love the parks I don't feel there is anything drawing me back. Ticket prices are increasing while quality and " wow" factor is decreasing. Unfortunately California is too far and costly for us although I definitely have an increased incentive to go but less incentive to go to WDW. It's time that Disney sent a little more magic down to Florida . It's supposed to be the crown jewel of the theme park world but DL is starting to make it pale in comparison. They outdo them on the Christmas decor, have a better Fantasmic, The World Of Color and a host of better rides and it seems that WDW and it's parks have become the forgotten step child and they're doing on space probably less than a tenth of what's available in Fl. I think it's being taken for granted that people will go to WDW regardless so why spend any more. All I see are cutbacks and less magic. There's nothing to keep us old timers coming back.
I disagree that WDW trades on customer loyalty and cuts back on improvements. WDW has fierce competition from Universal, SeaWorld and now Legoland. It must improve. Right now the Fantasyland/Toontown re-do is a major construction project. There have been scrims on Main Street continuously since at least 2010. Tomorrowland received an interesting facelift. There have been re-dos to Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, some to Small World. Snow White is coming out and being replaced. Peter Pan is being improved, Winnie the Pooh, too. The old Skyway station next to IASW is being replaced with restrooms and a new path to Liberty Square/Haunted Mansion. BTMRR was just rehabbed, last year(?) Splash was rehabbed. New train station at (former) Toontown. New CS and TS will be added to Fantasyland and two new rides.

Brand-new DVC at Grand Floridian. Rehabs to moderate resort rooms, and changing double beds to Queens. Brand-new Value resort.

AK, not too much change. DHS has made changes but needs more. It needs one or two catchy new rides. I don't like the prominent spot given to American Idol. Drew Carey spot next door fizzled. Backlot tour is sorry now, compared to its past. That would be a good place for a new ride. Great Movie Ride needs some great new movie ideas. Food is lackluster. I like Fantasmic fine. New Star Tours is a great improvement.

Epcot Futureworld needs rejuvenation. World of Motion is being rehabbed, hopefully Soarin' next. Would like to see a new Soarin' movie. I don't care for a movie about Cali because I'm an East Coast person. Former Kodak needs work. How about Odyssey and Wonders of Life being revived or replaced. Odyssey would be a great place for a second and third story restaurant with incomparable views of Epcot and Illuminations.

I saw World of Color on YouTube and it looks fabulous. I would like to see that in WDW.

In conclusion, a ton of money is being spent in many areas of WDW improvement. Construction takes time. Some people will be thrilled with the new Fantasyland, adults without children maybe not so much. I don't have the impression WDW is being neglected by the Disney company.

We've been toying with the idea of heading out to DL. Some reasons are rides that WDW doesn't have - Nemo subs (20,000 leagues was my FAV), Monsters Inc ride, handful of other dark rides WDW doesn't have. REALLy want to see Dumbo fly during fireworks! Would be nice to check out DL in general. Was curious to try out Carsland - but after seeing pics/video, yeah, it looks cool, but not a must do to get my butt all the way out to DL.

WDW we really enjoy the resorts. Have looked into the DL resorts - and can't see the value in them, would stay instead across the street magicless at Best Western.
We love all the dining at WDW - even love the SIZE of WDW. We actually enjoy riding the buses, taking the boats around WDW.
Would hate to go to DL and end up being disappointed. I know they are both different, but in our minds maybe it would be just not enough for us and be like a tease to us and make us say oh, should have just stuck with WDW instead.
Not sure I can justify the longer and more $ flight for it either.

Have given it a lot of thought and planning. Original thought was 5 days at DL - now we're done to thinking 3 is enough for us to see what is unique to DL and that's it.
I do get jealous when I see new things at DL that WDW doesn't get - Dumbo am most jealous about. The Soundsational parade looks great, WOC looks neat to see.
I do thiink the new Fantasyland will be amazing when it is complete, and am looking forward to that. Just wish WDW would add some of the rides that DL has and WDW doesnt'.

I guess it kind of depends on when you are planning this DL trip. If you are planning it during a slow period then maybe 3 days will be enough. If you've never been I would give it 4 days.

There is so much else to do in the LA area too if you want to make it more than just a Disney vacation. Universal Studios Hollywood has just opened up a new Transformer's ride. I've wanted for years to get back to Knott's Berry Farm (a smaller local theme park) but haven't made it. Disney sucks up most of my time when I'm there.

As far as dining, yeah, most of the DL parks dining options kind of suck (Downtown Disney or the Disney Hotel restaurants can provide some relief) but the good news is there are tons of great dining options within a 5-10 minute drive. If you've got a rental car you're set for good eating.

It sounds like you just like WDW. There's nothing wrong with that. I like it too. I'm sure whatever Disney option you choose you'll be happy.

We have been to both. I did enjoy DL but to me it will never be WDW. WDW is just so much grander and to use seemed more magical. We enjoy the rides for the most part more at WDW. Although Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy at Halloween was really cool and better then Space Mountain at WDW. The Star Wars Jedi Training Academy is also cooler at DL. We were able to easily do DL in 1 day and I was fine to leave and go back to Vegas. WDW I have to do a minimum of 10 days and only take a day away to go to Universal. There is just nothing like WDW for us. We are planning to go back next year to DL to see Carsland and will prob do a couple of days in the parks this time around. I don't feel WDW has deteriorated. They have a lot of their money and focus on fantasyland right now and are working on making updates to rides and adding the interactive queues. They can't do everything at once and currently there are projects their budgets are on. California Adventure is a park that really needed an upgrade especially since it wasn't doing that well. They needed the upgrades to increase profit.

I think it has a lot to do with which park you grew up with. For me, I feel like WDW will always have an edge for me over DL because of the immersive vacation spot feel it has.

Really, four parks and one new land at DL outshines all of them?

Those of us who go to WDW a lot may just be looking for something new, because we've seen it all. We're annoyed that Disneyland gets to open its new stuff now and the East Coast has to wait awhile longer. But as for "outshining" if you mean they have something major opening, WDW is still working on theirs. I'm looking forward to the new Fantasyland now that they have decided it's not going to be entirely Princess meet and greets: new dark ride (which of course I will see at Disneyland first because theirs is already open), and new coaster.

World of Color is pretty awesome, but due to the amount of time that is necessary to stand around waiting for it (and I mean stand, no sitting unless you sit on the ground), I doubt I'll make an effort to see it again.

After watching the awesome new videos for Cars Land in DL I'm starting to feel that WDW has become a little lackluster now in comparison.

Think of it this way, they're run by the same company, they want the highest turnouts for the new attractions as possible, by keeping focus on California as it rolls out its newest attractions, they leave ample time to shift focus back on WDW for the FantasyLand expansion later on.

I somewhat agree with OP. The on,y really new thing at WDW since my last trip is the new Dumbo. A huge part of me is really wishing we were headed to DL in September instead of WDW. Cars Land is amazing. The new Fantasyland doesn't even come close. And considering its been two whole years since we have been to WdW and all they have to show for it so far is more walls around Fantasyland than we had last time and Dumbo moved to a new location. I really, really thought back in 2010 that when we came back there would be a lot more done. So right now, yes, I wish we were going to DL instead. And yes, I've been to DL before. I understand that it is different. But Cars Land is just a bigger draw to me than a new Dumbo.

Not that we won't enjoy our WDW trip. I'm not saying the walls around fantasy land will ruin our trip. I'm just having some pretty big regret over not choosing DL this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter