Disney's YACHT & BEACH CLUB RESORTS Information & Questions

A couple questions from our recent YC stay:
1. Anyone else walking from YC/BC to Epcot use the walkway that goes under the bridge (which goes to the BW) instead of stsying on the main walkway that connects to the bridge?
2. Who knew that the road that connects BC to BW went under the walkway (and water) near the International Gateway? When the DME took that road, I was floored as I didn't know a road went under the water.

Dh and I use this walkway. I use the wheelchair as a walker most of the time and its too hard for me to get up the hill so I usually use the walkway. A few times we have encountered others on the walkway, but generally its very quiet.

Handicap Accessible/Wheelchair Accessible Rooms
Note: The DISabilities subforum has a lot of great information about visiting Disney for guests who have physical limitations
I am not sure how many accessible rooms there are at the resort. I believe there are rooms for guests with hearing impairments and also vision issues as well.

Yacht Club Room 2147, shoreward, September 2016

As MDE indicated about four days prior to check-in date, I was upgraded to a garden/woods view room; the room type was listed as GdWds WChrAcc RollIn OptHr 2Q. Since there was no room text by the time I arrived at the resort, I stopped at the desk. The CM said my assigned room was indeed the type listed in MDE, with the only difference from a standard room being the roll-in shower and no tub. The room text for #2147 arrived about 2:50 p.m. - about three hours after arrival.

The location was great - literally 15 steps from the elevators and just a few more to the main staircase leading to the lobby. The balcony overlooked the courtyard, with a small view of the lake, if turning toward the right. Facing toward EPCOT, the high fireworks could be seen and music heard from the balcony. Also being heard from the balcony was quite a bit of noise from SAB, which was concealed behind the trees. I think the noise level varies, depending on the wind direction.

As someone else mentioned, the door at this room type is on a timer and takes approximately 30 seconds to close; so, you need to stand in front of the door, waiting for the door to close. There is a wall-mounted door actuator (similar to what you typically might see when entering a store, for handicapped access), which was located just past the closet. As I found out, just an accidental bump against it will open the door for 30 seconds, with no regard for what state of dress or undress you may be in. :eek:

The room condition was fairly good - a few cracked floor tiles in the shower and small crack in a sink were the worst defects I noticed. A light switch, located near the door to the connecting room, was marked "desk lamp," but did not operate the lamp...until I pulled the lamp's plug and inserted it into the lower part of the outlet, instead of the upper, where it originally was plugged in. Also an issue was the way the bedside lighting was wired - the wall switch next to the right bed operated the far right wall-mounted sconce on the right side for each bed, while the other switch operated the left light for each bed. Another strange room feature was the location of the full length mirror - directly opposite the toilet and immediately next to the shower. Ugh! I did not understand why the mirror was not located on just the other side of the wall in the hallway - there was plenty of room.

The room had two queen beds, but no daybed, no lounge chair. The double sinks were located in the same room as toilet and shower, all behind a pocket door. There is limited counter space at the sink area.

There was a pocket door, which closed off the vanity, toilet, and shower from the rest of the room, unlike standard rooms, which have a door between the vanity area and toilet/tub.

I assume that the accessible rooms are all located near the main elevators

Link to the original post with pictures of the room

More pictures

******************************************************************************************

Wood Nymph, Room ????

We stayed in a handicap accessible room at the BC and the vanity was inside the room with the toilet and shower.

This room had a connecting door.

IMG_2619_zps1gik3ftb.jpg

IMG_2618_zps2b382nom.jpg

tinkerbella16, Rooms 1631 and 1633

Note to self: Go back and read original posts...

We had 3 rooms at BC a few weeks ago. 2 of our 3 rooms were WC Accessible - 1631 and 1633. We had regular tubs, not the roll in showers, but the bathroom was bigger and there were handles on the wall that pulled down if needed. I actually like that room because of the bigger bathroom. We were on the ground floor, right off the lobby. My parents room had the door that opened with the push button, mine was just a regular door (didn't work), and I am glad it didn't work since I don't like the door staying open that long. These were standard rooms as well.

These rooms did not have daybeds

**********************************************************************************

Also, please note that there are limited rooms at the resort with King Beds.

I'm going to ask a CM friend of mine who works at the resort if the YC rooms have grab bars in the bathrooms.

:goodvibes

I dont care if the room has 1, 2 or 8 beds! I only am hoping for the grip bars in the bathroom! I, as well as all of you who have replied, have spent way too much time on this this weekend! I read almost every post in the disABILITIES forum. Was glued to this thread for 2 days. Searched GOOGLE and YOUTUBE for hours and received so many different responses. All super helpful and I was all set to leave things as is, until I saw room 2149 !!! Ughhh. I just really dont wish to take up an accessible room if I dont have to, but then I think my mother deserves to be safe and comfortable on what could be the last trip of her life, and probably definitely the last trip with all the family as my sister and I never travel together, but she knows what a Disney fan I am, and told me about my niece. So...just in typing this, I **think** I will leave things alone for a while, keep what we have and if I see a definite 100% answer that every single room at YC has grip bars, I will not change.

Thank you everyone for all the photos and responses! Wishing you all magical stays during your upcoming trips!

I dont care if the room has 1, 2 or 8 beds! I only am hoping for the grip bars in the bathroom! I, as well as all of you who have replied, have spent way too much time on this this weekend! I read almost every post in the disABILITIES forum. Was glued to this thread for 2 days. Searched GOOGLE and YOUTUBE for hours and received so many different responses. All super helpful and I was all set to leave things as is, until I saw room 2149 !!! Ughhh. I just really dont wish to take up an accessible room if I dont have to, but then I think my mother deserves to be safe and comfortable on what could be the last trip of her life, and probably definitely the last trip with all the family as my sister and I never travel together, but she knows what a Disney fan I am, and told me about my niece. So...just in typing this, I **think** I will leave things alone for a while, keep what we have and if I see a definite 100% answer that every single room at YC has grip bars, I will not change.

Thank you everyone for all the photos and responses! Wishing you all magical stays during your upcoming trips!
We just stayed YC Standard View Club level and we had a grip bar in the shower/tub. Room 5228.Nothing in the toilet area. It's so tight!

Thanks to everyone's tips and advice!
We just returned from a week at the Yacht Club. We requested a king bed during our standard view club level visit.
When we arrived at MCO, we received at text that our room was not ready yet. By the time the DME brought us to the resort( stopping at Caribbean Beach and Beach Club), it took about 40 minutes. We were not greeted. But, we went to the front desk and they brought us up to the Concierge. We received the text that our room was ready. We were greeted upstairs and offered sparkling punch drinks. We did not receive a king size bed( to celebrate our 36th anniversary). We were told that there were only 3 rooms with King beds & they were all taken. So, we got room 5228. It was super clean. It was weird that we were given a room with 2 double beds, a day bed and a connecting door to the room next door. It had a view of a roof. It was only the two of us. We didn't mind and were happy to be back at Disney World. The weather during the week of 9/24-10/1 was brutally hot. Some days had a heat index of 96-106! Extremely humid. You know you were hot when you go to pack dirty clothes and they have salt lines on them! However, we had a great time! The food was just as good as we remembered on previous trips. My only complaint is begging for water. It is ridiculous that water is not available in bottles. Especially when other club level resorts offer it in Disney. We were parched returning from the parks and had to use 4 cups of water stacked to carry back to the room. The lids are sipper type, so it was a pain. We saw CMs giving certain guests bottles of Evian to take to their rooms in the evenings. When we requested, they weren't available. We inquired about it and were told all kinds of reasons why we couldn't have them. They should be out for guests to use, they are being returned, and the CM should have never offered them. All we wanted was water in our room. It's the only thing that bothered us while staying there. They should provide bottles or pitchers that close. We will be writing to Disney about the issue. We loved the pool, the cleanliness, the food, and the convenience of the resort to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. The time signs at the bus stops are useless. They are so inaccurate. But ,the buses always came within 20 minutes. We enjoyed our stay. The staff is happy. It's a great place!

page 694-697

Shut the Front Door!

Is this true???

Now my question for anyone with a package who has done the online advance check-in recently (in the past week or so). Did you have limited options (Balcony, lower, upper, first floor, near elevator) or a drop-down of selections?

:faint:

I think Disney reduced the amount of check in options across the board. My check in options were greatly reduced from our stays at both Kidani and BCV and I redid both after my original picks were made. I also seen comments on a number of the boards I belong to about choices being reduced at various resorts.

I booked using DVC. I don't believe the way you booked makes a difference.

There is a good YouTube video tour of the BC, which was made post refurb. At about the 4:08 mark, there is a clear look at the bathroom - no grab bars installed at the tub area.

A video tour of the YC shows the same - no grab bars in tub.

It appears to be hit and miss; some non-accessible rooms have bathtub grab bars, while others do not. It appears the only sure way of being guaranteed the bars is to book an accessible room, which will very likely also have grab bars next to the toilet.

It appears to be hit and miss; some non-accessible rooms have bathtub grab bars, while others do not. It appears the only sure way of being guaranteed the bars is to book an accessible room, which will very likely also have grab bars next to the toilet.

You are the best! Thank you so much for your time and effort. It is sincerely appreciated.

There is a good YouTube video tour of the BC, which was made post refurb. At about the 4:08 mark, there is a clear look at the bathroom - no grab bars installed at the tub area.

There are different types of accesible rooms.

My CM friend was unsure whether all regular YC rooms have grab bars in the bathroom. Based on what we have seen it does not seem to be the case that all rooms have the grab bars.

I agree that you should keep the accessible room to ease your mind and make it easier on your mom. If this will keep her safer, then it is important that you have this type of room. You are not taking up an accessible room, you are booking it for someone who needs it. If your mom decides not to go on the trip, given enough notice, you can either change the room or cancel it.

::yes::

page 697

Thanks to everyone's tips and advice!
We just returned from a week at the Yacht Club. We requested a king bed during our standard view club level visit.
When we arrived at MCO, we received at text that our room was not ready yet. By the time the DME brought us to the resort( stopping at Caribbean Beach and Beach Club), it took about 40 minutes. We were not greeted. But, we went to the front desk and they brought us up to the Concierge. We received the text that our room was ready. We were greeted upstairs and offered sparkling punch drinks. We did not receive a king size bed( to celebrate our 36th anniversary). We were told that there were only 3 rooms with King beds & they were all taken. So, we got room 5228. It was super clean. It was weird that we were given a room with 2 double beds, a day bed and a connecting door to the room next door. It had a view of a roof. It was only the two of us. We didn't mind and were happy to be back at Disney World. The weather during the week of 9/24-10/1 was brutally hot. Some days had a heat index of 96-106! Extremely humid. You know you were hot when you go to pack dirty clothes and they have salt lines on them! However, we had a great time! The food was just as good as we remembered on previous trips. My only complaint is begging for water. It is ridiculous that water is not available in bottles. Especially when other club level resorts offer it in Disney. We were parched returning from the parks and had to use 4 cups of water stacked to carry back to the room. The lids are sipper type, so it was a pain. We saw CMs giving certain guests bottles of Evian to take to their rooms in the evenings. When we requested, they weren't available. We inquired about it and were told all kinds of reasons why we couldn't have them. They should be out for guests to use, they are being returned, and the CM should have never offered them. All we wanted was water in our room. It's the only thing that bothered us while staying there. They should provide bottles or pitchers that close. We will be writing to Disney about the issue. We loved the pool, the cleanliness, the food, and the convenience of the resort to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. The time signs at the bus stops are useless. They are so inaccurate. But ,the buses always came within 20 minutes. We enjoyed our stay. The staff is happy. It's a great place!

Thanks for your review.

That is frustrating about the water. Especially to see some people getting bottles of water and some not. What?!?

My plan for an upcoming trip is to purchase a gallon jug of water from The Marketplace and use it to fill a reusable bottle. I am hoping to get ice as well, but I can't remember if the club level floors have guest accessible ice machines (specifically, Yacht Club).

Anyone know?

:goodvibes

:-)This room has wood floors...interesting

I didn't notice that!!!

:blush:

Thanks for the video. Haven't seen the YC one before. Love the detail in the tour (although I am sadly reminded about the now-removed room clocks).

I'll add the video the YC room view/description thread.

:thumbsup2

While looking at YouTube videos, I came across this great video of the walk from the YC to the International Gateway at EPCOT. At about the 4:44 mark, you can see the flatter parallel path on the right, that some have noted. I always take that path, rather than the mainly traveled route; not only is it flatter and uncongested, but it's fun to be close to the Friendship boats as they pass by. Sometimes, you will even be greeted by a chiming bell from the Captain!

A leisurely walk times at about 8+ minutes.

As this video was not done recently, the IG entrance does not show the extra security/metal detector that guests now pass through, before scanning their bands or tickets.

This video almost makes me feel like I'm actually there.

@Wood Nymph - You get 20% off refillable mugs with the AP discount?! I was starting to think we wouldn't get them, but 20% discount helps me justify the cost again...

Our trip last month, we stayed one night at POP before moving to GF. We bought new mugs at POP and they wouldn't let us use our 10% AP discount on the mugs :sad2:

Stini228 said:
This room has wood floors...interesting

A CM mentioned that the new YC guest room flooring would be wood or wood laminate.
I really hope that they don't eliminate carpet in the bedroom area of the room.

While looking at YouTube videos, I came across this great video of the walk from the YC to the International Gateway at EPCOT. At about the 4:44 mark, you can see the flatter parallel path on the right, that some have noted. I always take that path, rather than the mainly traveled route; not only is it flatter and uncongested, but it's fun to be close to the Friendship boats as they pass by. Sometimes, you will even be greeted by a chiming bell from the Captain!

A leisurely walk times at about 8+ minutes.

As this video was not done recently, the IG entrance does not show the extra security/metal detector that guests now pass through, before scanning their bands or tickets.

This video almost makes me feel like I'm actually there.

This is great!!! I'll add it to the Other Useful Info post where I have the description and details about the International Gateway.

Holy Leisurely Pace, Batman!!!

Two of the things on my to-do list for the upcoming trip are timing the outside walk from the YC lobby to the BC lobby and from the YC to the IG, at a moderate walking pace.

:cheer2:

Really, you don't have to have an actual trip BOOKED to start planning it. Pick your dream date and start a spread sheet of where'd you go, what you'd do, where'd you eat... Maybe by the time it gets closer you can convince DH that you must take another trip in order to maintain your sanity, if that's what we call our disney obsession. ;)

~Cari~ pluto:

That's a good idea! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter