Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

This is what doesn't makes nosense to me I wold buy a fancy drink at the 7 to 10 range and probably more than one over the vacation. These prices are just too much in won't spend money on this!

After a bit more digging, apparently a lot of the increase in these specialty drinks has been triggered by a price rise from $3 to $5 for the souvenir hurricane cup. So refills (or just buying in a regular glass) won't be much more than they were before. Most of the other bar drinks have gone up by more reasonable figures, in the 25c-50c region, which does seem to fit.

Andre

After a bit more digging, apparently a lot of the increase in these specialty drinks has been triggered by a price rise from $3 to $5 for the souvenir hurricane cup. So refills (or just buying in a regular glass) won't be much more than they were before. Most of the other bar drinks have gone up by more reasonable figures, in the 25c-50c region, which does seem to fit.

Andre
Whew! That was a close call. I almost thought I was going to have a sober vacation!

While part of me is still inching toward changing my reservation to Beach Club or Boardwalk, I'm trying to get excited about my July stay at POR!! It's by far my favorite moderate and I had two wonderful trips there.
I'm just super confused about which building to have my TA request on my behalf!! We're booked with a Regular Garden View and would prefer Magnolia Bend. I'd prefer to be super close to a bus stop if possible. I don't mind being a decent walk from the main building since we'll likely only go a few times at night or in the morning to fill our mugs. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Then why not put that in as your request? If you ask for any particular building you could find yourself all the way on the other side of it, and so ironically be further away from the bus stop rather than closer to it.

Andre

I guess that's one of those "uh duh" things haha.

Thanks for the replies! The create your own breakfasts sound awesome! Anyone have pics? What about beignets? Are they available in the morning or as a snack credit?
Also curious if there's anything kid friendly for the refillable cups in the morning (my son + morning soda = DISASTER LOL)

While part of me is still inching toward changing my reservation to Beach Club or Boardwalk, I'm trying to get excited about my July stay at POR!! It's by far my favorite moderate and I had two wonderful trips there.
I'm just super confused about which building to have my TA request on my behalf!! We're booked with a Regular Garden View and would prefer Magnolia Bend. I'd prefer to be super close to a bus stop if possible. I don't mind being a decent walk from the main building since we'll likely only go a few times at night or in the morning to fill our mugs. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Then why not put that in as your request? If you ask for any particular building you could find yourself all the way on the other side of it, and so ironically be further away from the bus stop rather than closer to it.

Andre

Not to mention the fact that, if they don't have the building you want, but they don't know why you want it, they won't know how to help you. Tell them exactly what you need, maybe including "Like building #..." if you really have a building preference.

I love either Acadian House or Magnolia Terrace locations. I always book GV and request a location close to Old Man Island foot bridge. Central location to main ammenities and a reasonable walk to either East or north Depot, depending on what building you're in. Also very close to the quiet pool.

What about beignets? Are they available in the morning or as a snack credit?

Beignets are available at the French Quarter food court, not Riverside. It's a nice stroll over there though, you should do it sometime during your stay.

There is a range of soda and still drinks available from the beverage island, including some zero sugar items. The current list is near the bottom of the same page where I list the rest of the food court menus.

Andre

We stayed at this hotel one night last week before moving to a condo for a week.

I had heard so many good things about this hotel and was really looking forward to our stay.

I was really dissappointed with the room, all the people smoking and the atrious customer service.

I have stayed onsite numerous times and one thing I always found is if there was a problem Disney apologized profusely and immediately took care of it. Going above a beyond to not only fix the problem but also to make the guest happy, even if it was a minor problem.

That was absolutely not the case at this hotel.

I did online checkin and magical express and had luggage sent to room. While on ME I got text that room was not ready yet. By the time we got to hotel it was a bit after three and there was a 20 family line deep at registration. Not a big deal, and expected since it spring break and check-in time. So, we changed into shorts in the bathroom lobby and checked our carryons with bell services and took Mears cab, because no ubers were available, to watch my son's high school baseball team play at ESPN. Game ran late so we then ubered straight to Hoop Dee Doo.

I never got a text that room was ready but didn't think anything of it because that has happened before.

A bit before 11pm we returned to hotel and were told we had been assigned a room but it needed to be changed because of an IT glitch. From what she said it sounded like they knew about the glitch days before my check-in date but never bothered to alert IT to the problem. The clerk said they were having difficulty removing a guest who had checked out days ago from the data base that operated the room key pad/magic bands. She said our luggage would take a couple minutes to get from our originally assigned room to new room. No apologies for the problem didn't seem to care we'd been out all day and had a reasonable expectation that after officially checking in at 2:30 by 11 we would have a useable room that contained our luggage. So we looked in gift shop, stopped to hear yee ha Bob but DD was tired so we went to room.

At 11:45 luggage had still not arrived. I was trying to be calm and patient. I called the guest services line on the phone and was told the luggage should be there soon. Manager, Kate, then said at least I wasn't standing at room I couldn't get into?! What?! I knew the guest services manager Kate was not actually at the hotel, and may not even been in Florida, so I marched up to front desk and asked to speak with a manager. The hotel manager basically had the same attitude. Like all this was normal and there was no need to address the problem immediately. He had the audacity to tell me that I was not the only one waiting for my luggage.

Are you serious-this was absolutely insane!! I have stayed in many levels of hotels in many places and never ever treated like this. At this point I was done being nice and polite. Thankfully I left my 13 daughter in the room so she did not have to be involved in this craziness any longer. I went ballistic. I asked him who else checked in 9 hours ago and due to the fault of the hotel I was given a room the hotel knew I could not enter with my luggage locked inside and I could still not get my luggage over an hour later. The place is big but not that big!

I honestly thought at this point that they had lost my luggage. Not one time did he apologize for the problem and only after I freaked out did I get results. Manager contacted bell services and told him to bring my luggage to my room immediately which he did. So at 12:30 we got our luggage.

I couldn't wait to get out of that place the next morning. So we left the ugly colored dingy room in the mansion section (with no real closet and weird curtain separating the bathroom/hanging clothes rod area) and took the long walk with our luggage through the smokers to the lobby and high tailed it out of there.

I know many of you love this place and will have a lot to say but this was my experience and view of the place. I am posting this review on all the sites I use so people can see all views of this hotel. I have also written to Disney's executive office about this incident since I did not have time to deal with the incompetent staff during my short stay at this hotel.

I'm sorry, but if this is the best moderate hotel Disney offers that is sad-especially given the price we paid. Shabby place and shabby service. Never again. So disappointing

Last edited:
So we left the ugly colored dingy room in the mansion section (with no real closet and weird curtain separating the bathroom/hanging clothes rod area)

I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience at POR. I won't comment on the rest of your post, but regarding what you said above, the weird curtain, I think is standard for all Moderate resorts (I think except Coronado Springs)

We stayed at this hotel one night last week before moving to a condo for a week.

I had heard so many good things about this hotel and was really looking forward to our stay.

I was really dissappointed with the room, all the people smoking and the atrious customer service.

I have stayed onsite numerous times and one thing I always found is if there was a problem Disney apologized profusely and immediately took care of it. Going above a beyond to not only fix the problem but also to make the guest happy, even if it was a minor problem.

That was absolutely not the case at this hotel.

I'm sorry, but if this is the best moderate hotel Disney offers that is sad-especially given the price we paid. Shabby place and shabby service. Never again. So disappointing

My worst experience as far as issues and lack of care by Disney CM's was at the Polynesian. I've stayed at several values, moderates and deluxes and the POLY was my favorite overall with POR being my favorite taking into account price; don't know about POLY now...

I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience at POR. I won't comment on the rest of your post, but regarding what you said above, the weird curtain, I think is standard for all Moderate resorts (I think except Coronado Springs)

Yes. Pretty sure it is. I really am sorry about your terrible experience, and I don't blame you for not wanting to return. I will just say, so that anyone who is new to POR is not terrified by this story, I have stayed there many years and never had a problem. I usually have a room assignment when I'm still on the airplane. Something like that is just not typical.

CBR has had an actual door since 2005.

Stay here next week. We normally stay at FQ but got an AP rate at riverside. We like to use Uber/Lyft somjust wondering can they come to our section of the resort or do we have to take a bus to the front to meet any Uber?

Forgive my ignorance, but there IS a door to the actual toilet area, right? That's what it appears on the floor plans that the Port Orleans website has, but I wanted to be really sure. Weird curtain to sink area doesn't bother me one bit, but I would like to pee with some more privacy. :rolleyes1

Forgive my ignorance, but there IS a door to the actual toilet area, right? That's what it appears on the floor plans that the Port Orleans website has, but I wanted to be really sure. Weird curtain to sink area doesn't bother me one bit, but I would like to pee with some more privacy. :rolleyes1
Yes, there is a door separating the toilet and shower area from the sink area.

Forgive my ignorance, but there IS a door to the actual toilet area, right?

Yes, there is a physical door to the area containing the bath and toilet. The dual wash basin area, which also includes the clothes hanging rail, hair dryer, ironing board & mini-safe, is part of the main bedroom layout and separated by a privacy curtain (handy for getting dressed when there are several people staying in the room).

POR-Room-ABrefurb-2012-5638_forum.jpg

I've head some talk that the next round of refurbs might change the curtains for a wooden shutter, but that's just speculation at the moment.

Andre

Yes, there is a physical door to the area containing the bath and toilet. The dual wash basin area, which also includes the clothes hanging rail, hair dryer, ironing board & mini-safe, is part of the main bedroom layout and separated by a privacy curtain (handy for getting dressed when there are several people staying in the room).

POR-Room-ABrefurb-2012-5638_forum.jpg

I've head some talk that the next round of refurbs might change the curtains for a wooden shutter, but that's just speculation at the moment.

Andre

Our sink area did not look this attractive and the walls were painted a yellowish green color.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter