Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Walking is fine, and here's the whole route in 4K video to prove it... :)

Andre

What a great video. Thanks, Andre, for all you do on the www.portorleans.org website and on the DIS boards.

We, too, might not ever stay anywhere else. We will be at Riverside in 9 days (not that we are counting down or anything) and we absolutely love the whole PO experience. Can't wait to see the new singers at PO/FQ on Monday and Bob on Saturday. Watching this video with the anticipation of our next trip makes it realize how fortunate we are to be able to vacation at the Happiest Place on EARth.

Is it possible to walk over to POFQ for beignets (about how long is the walk)? Or should we plan on driving over?

Thanks! :love:

It is very doable, we even walked over one morning for breakfast last May :) One thing we also did that I enjoyed, one afternoon coming back from AK, the bus was shared and stopped at FQ first, so we got off there, bought beignets and ate them walking back to POR.

It is torture, I don't know why I keep coming here and reading these posts, and not having a trip planned! :surfweb:

Talking to DH last night and he dropped the idea that we should stay at FQ during Thanksgiving, instead of Riverside. He thought we might have better bus luck at FQ.
We haven't had any issues with Riverside buses, even during July, but I anticipate Thanksgiving to be even more crowded. We've had to stand a few times but that happens at even small resorts. Didn't stand more on their buses than anywhere else.
Rooms are available at both. Based on what I read on Andrew's site, it appears about the same percentage of connecting rooms (so maybe same odds of getting one?)
While I like Riverside better, I didn't dislike FQ so it doesn't matter a whole lot to me. We aren't planning on Royal rooms at Riverside so rooms would be the same too.

For those that have been there during peak, level 10 crowds, is he right? Should we try FQ instead of Riverside?
Do they keep them sharing when it's peak crowds? Or are they more inclined to separate them?

For those that have been there during peak, level 10 crowds, is he right? Should we try FQ instead of Riverside?
Do they keep them sharing when it's peak crowds? Or are they more inclined to separate them?
When we stayed at POR in June the afternoon buses from the parks back to POR stopped at POFQ first. And one night out of four the DHS bus at park close stopped at POFQ. But otherwise I don't think they shared. But then, it was only a level 8 crowd.

It is very doable, we even walked over one morning for breakfast last May :) One thing we also did that I enjoyed, one afternoon coming back from AK, the bus was shared and stopped at FQ first, so we got off there, bought beignets and ate them walking back to POR.

It is torture, I don't know why I keep coming here and reading these posts, and not having a trip planned! :surfweb:

Thank you again! :)

When we stayed at POR in June the afternoon buses from the parks back to POR stopped at POFQ first. And one night out of four the DHS bus at park close stopped at POFQ. But otherwise I don't think they shared. But then, it was only a level 8 crowd.
That's about how we experienced things on our trip in July. I'm thinking they don't share all that often but honestly, when I get on a bus I often don't pay a whole lot of attention to where they go when. I tend to either zone out or I'm looking around on my phone booking ADR, moving FP, etc.

Well we asked for ground floor, near footbridge and close to river ... we were given an awesome room in bldg 85 facing the river, however it was third floor, so it didn't suit us ... anyway we are now in a Acadian house, ground floor much further away from the river but closer to the North Depot ... it is pouring rain right now but the forecast looks great for the rest of the week. In the end it really doesn't matter too much where your room is -- we are so happy to be here. Truly a magical place!

I'm getting excited for my trip in a few weeks. I know it's hard to be picky about the room and such and it will be nice to just be there, but still I put in a request for the Magnolia building on the ground floor, near the bridge. We paid for a Garden view room so I just don't want to be facing the backside like we were before. I expect it to be full too, but I guess I'll just take what we get.

Since they may issue you room number, somewhat on the way from the airport, especially if we check in online. Is it once you get to the room location that you head back over to the front desk to see about a different room? I really hope that we are just happy with what they assign us.

Since they may issue you room number, somewhat on the way from the airport, especially if we check in online. Is it once you get to the room location that you head back over to the front desk to see about a different room? I really hope that we are just happy with what they assign us.
You could go to the front desk when you arrive, before you see the room, to ask them to show you on a map where your room is located. Or you can look at the room first. I like to print up one of Andre's room location maps so I have a rough idea of where the room is when I receive the room text. :)

I'm getting excited for my trip in a few weeks. I know it's hard to be picky about the room and such and it will be nice to just be there, but still I put in a request for the Magnolia building on the ground floor, near the bridge. We paid for a Garden view room so I just don't want to be facing the backside like we were before. I expect it to be full too, but I guess I'll just take what we get.

When you get the room text it will include a link to a map so you can see for yourself where the building is that you are in, if you don't have an idea already. Then, like PP, I browse to either Andre's site, or Touring Plans, to look at a map for the specific room location, if I want to be exact. Then, if you don't like it, stop by the desk on the way in.

Last edited:
You could go to the front desk when you arrive, before you see the room, to ask them to show you on a map where your room is located. Or you can look at the room first. I like to print up one of Andre's room location maps so I have a rough idea of where the room is when I receive the room text. :)

That's a great idea! I don't know why I didn't think about it. I was on DME trying to pull up a map on my phone, and look at it on a tiny screen!

This may be heresy, but I wanted to ask for the collective wisdom on DIS Board. TripAdvisor and Touring Plans both indicate higher guest satisfaction at POFQ vs PORS. Any ideas why this may be? Not wanting to start a PO family feud on the boards, but curious about theories.

This may be heresy, but I wanted to ask for the collective wisdom on DIS Board. TripAdvisor and Touring Plans both indicate higher guest satisfaction at POFQ vs PORS. Any ideas why this may be? Not wanting to start a PO family feud on the boards, but curious about theories.
In my view it's just simply that POR is larger and as such, you'll stand a chance to have more who are not happy, for one reason or another and unhappy guests are faster to report reviews over those who are perfectly happy with everything.
Honestly, I find online reviews useless. Most for that reason. How many times do people take time to report, everything was wonderful over how many times people report, the room was dirty, staff rude, whathaveyou?

My maps are downloadable as PDFs, so locally zoomable - just put them on your phone before you leave home.

Andre

Good to know! Thanks, Andre!

In my view it's just simply that POR is larger and as such, you'll stand a chance to have more who are not happy, for one reason or another and unhappy guests are faster to report reviews over those who are perfectly happy with everything.
Honestly, I find online reviews useless. Most for that reason. How many times do people take time to report, everything was wonderful over how many times people report, the room was dirty, staff rude, whathaveyou?

Agreed! The size is usually what people have an issue with. I have never had anything negative to say.

Tomorrow! I can't believe it's time already! :yay: We've only stayed at POR once before, 2012 in Oak Manor, this time I booked preferred and requested 14 or 18, 2nd floor, corner room, on my original call and again by fax a few days ago. Can't wait to get there! We've stayed at POFQ so many times in the past and have become spoiled by the small size of the resort and the short walks to everywhere. My one and only concern with POR is the buses, I'm a worrier anyway and the proximity of the preferred rooms to the South Depot is making me nervous that we'll never get a seat and will always have to stand. Ugh. 1st world problems, right? :rolleyes:

If you are a member of Touring Plans you can actually see the view from the room that you may possibly want. They will send a fax for you 5 days before you arrive and you can add comments on a comment page. If you are that concerned about your room, you may want to join just for that service. Also, doing room requests at on-line check-in is much more detailed than it used to be on the WDW website.

By the way, we love Magnolia Terrace on the gazebo side. We were fortunate enough to have a room there once and absolutely loved the location. I really wanted to do a room request for the same type room that you wanted, but was overruled in favor of a Royal Guest room for our upcoming trip. We have requested Oak Manor, second floor, facing SW. I really hope you get your room request.

Tomorrow! I can't believe it's time already! :yay: We've only stayed at POR once before, 2012 in Oak Manor, this time I booked preferred and requested 14 or 18, 2nd floor, corner room, on my original call and again by fax a few days ago. Can't wait to get there! We've stayed at POFQ so many times in the past and have become spoiled by the small size of the resort and the short walks to everywhere. My one and only concern with POR is the buses, I'm a worrier anyway and the proximity of the preferred rooms to the South Depot is making me nervous that we'll never get a seat and will always have to stand. Ugh. 1st world problems, right? :rolleyes:

I stayed in that area this year. Sometimes you have to stand, but that is true with almost any stop at some point, unless you are there VERY early in the morning. I wouldn't say I "always" had to stand though. Definitely stop worrying about the buses. They will be what they will be, honestly. Sometimes crowded, sometimes not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter