Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you get a disposable cup of hot water? I hate to spend money on a coffee maker that I won't need ever again but I'd like to have hot tea in the room.
I would suggest going to the dollar store and picking up some disposable coffee cups. I buy them at my local dollar tree. There are cups in the set with lids. Then you can just get hot water for your tea at the drink station.

Can you get a disposable cup of hot water? I hate to spend money on a coffee maker that I won't need ever again but I'd like to have hot tea in the room.

You could just buy one of those little immersion heaters that you put in the mug of water to heat it. They're usually about $7 or $8 at places like Walmart and Target. Then you wouldn't even have to leave the room to get hot water and you wouldn't have to carry a disposable cup of hot water from the food court to your room.

Just booked a last minute trip yesterday. Doing a split stay.. Dec 29-1st at pop (then moving to All Star movies). Does anyone know if POP has any New Years Eve Celebrations at the hotel?

You could just buy one of those little immersion heaters that you put in the mug of water to heat it. They're usually about $7 or $8 at places like Walmart and Target. Then you wouldn't even have to leave the room to get hot water and you wouldn't have to carry a disposable cup of hot water from the food court to your room.
I was going to suggest the same thing! Just stick an old mug in your bag (or buy a nice new one for a souvenir) because it would melt a Styrofoam one! It will heat water to boiling pretty quickly and your tea could be brewing while you get dressed, super easy! You'll usually find them in the travel section and they look like this
images

I would suggest going to the dollar store and picking up some disposable coffee cups. I buy them at my local dollar tree. There are cups in the set with lids. Then you can just get hot water for your tea at the drink station.

I was going to suggest the same thing! Just stick an old mug in your bag (or buy a nice new one for a souvenir) because it would melt a Styrofoam one! It will heat water to boiling pretty quickly and your tea could be brewing while you get dressed, super easy! You'll usually find them in the travel section and they look like this
images

Oh those are great ideas! Thank you guys!

I leave Thursday to head to the dark side for 3 days and then I check into Pop on Sunday 11/6. I likely won't be on the boards while I'm there but if anyone has a specific question and can post it before I leave Thursday afternoon then I would be happy to find answers while I'm there and post them when I get home next week.

I'm so excited, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will definitely be checking on the mug handle situation since I will be buying a mug but only if it has a handle. I'll post an update on that when I get back for sure.

I'm here at Plop Century now. I spoke with a lifeguard at the computer pool (they rotate among all the pools) and he said that the computer pool, which has a fence around it but no band scanners was CLOSING 10/31/16 for it's refurb, and it is a refurb, not a remodel as I had hoped would be the case for the world's most boring resort pool. It's a square "cement pond" if ever there was one.

I have an Alarm clock in my room, all my requests have been met and housekeeping has been stellar. I've not eaten in the food court and only half the monitors that show the wait times for the buses work. That's ok, you only need to look at one to get the idea but the 1st one that works is a couple of bus stops away from the MK bus stop.

When the Magic Kingdom had 7am EMMH on Friday the 21st of October the buses were woefully unprepared for the sheer numbers of people trying to get to the park for the 7am opening. I ditched the lines and caught an UBER otherwise I would not have gotten to the park prior to opening. What a cluster. You'd think they would send double buses but the first one or two was a single. It was an epic screw up when you factor in the loading of scooters and the long lines. Someone was asleep at the wheel for sure on this one...

~NM

We got back not long ago from Pop and I agree; the computer pool is boring! Almost depressing!

We had an alarm clock as well and housekeeping was perfect. We did notice other rooms adjacent to us had towel Mickeys and/or animals (drapes were open). We tipped daily but not in hopes of getting a towel creature.

We went to MK on the 21st also and were in the bus line around 6:30AM. Sounds like we missed the crowds and mayhem. We were in the park and taking pictures with Pluto at 7:02!! It was great!

I'd like to do a whole post-trip report when I have some free time!

I leave Thursday to head to the dark side for 3 days and then I check into Pop on Sunday 11/6. I likely won't be on the boards while I'm there but if anyone has a specific question and can post it before I leave Thursday afternoon then I would be happy to find answers while I'm there and post them when I get home next week.

I'm so excited, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could you find out if the laundry room will be open while the computer pool is being refurbished? Thanks so much! Have an awesome trip!

Will try! I need to ask about the refurb at the front desk anyway cause I have family looking to book Pop for next year and I want to make sure the hippy dippy pool won't be closed down at any point. I will ask if the laundry room is still open but doubt that I'll make it over there to confirm, we booked preferred room and requested 60's section, fingers crossed we get it!

I posted a few pages back about some issues we had at Pop during our recent trip. I just want to update on what took place. I eventually had enough of the beds (our backs were killing us) and the other room issues. I very nicely explained our issues to a front desk manager and she was so nice and helpful; she had our mattresses replaced and had maintenance fix the tub (well, 90% better at least).

Unfortunately, when we returned from the parks the day they replaced the mattresses, it was to lint, string and other detritus from the mattresses all over the floor - in other words, nobody vacuumed. It wasn't a few pieces that could be picked up, you needed to vacuum. Worse, there were also these huge screws and other pieces of hard plastic left on the nightstand, which of course DS zoomed in on. So I returned to the front desk (this was roughly 5:30ish) and said while I appreciated the fixes, the condition of the room was not okay. I received more apologies, and the manager said she would contact housekeeping to have someone take care of our room while we were at dinner. Unfortunately, they did not; they called at 8:30 (after DS was asleep) and asked to come in then, we said no. However, they did return the next day and we must have received a 'VIP' cleaning; the room was spotless, there were extra towels and towel animals everywhere, etc. I'm still wondering, though, if those screws were supposed to be in a wall somewhere that they now are not, lol.

Room condition and housekeeping issues aside, we did enjoy everything at Pop, except the food court. The staff was super pleasant (except one food court worker) and friendly, the amenities were good for what we needed, and the bus service was great with a couple of exceptions (mid-day to MK on Sunday and each return from Disney Springs). The food court seems to have had a decline in quality, and an increase in price. With a little one, we made a lot of use of the FC both last year and this year, and we can definitely say that it was better in 2015.

That said, I think we are ready to move onto moderates or deluxes going forward. The room was too small for us (last year we had a king bed, and the space to move around compared to the room w/two doubles is a big difference), and DS would really enjoy one of the splash areas that are at most of the other resorts. We also took an uber to the Boardwalk one day so we could take the boat into the Epcot WS ($13.85 each way, seems more expensive than at home, but I'm guessing we paid a premium for a car w/a carseat?) and we really enjoyed that area a lot. We also ate at the Contemporary one night, and walked around, and took the monorail for a loop, and I really have no love for the MK resorts area except WL. ALSO, we took a bus from AK to Old Key West to take the boat to DS, and really fell in love with that resort as well...

Perhaps when the refurbs are complete at Pop, I'll have a different opinion; that potential Murphy bed configuration may be a game changer.

We are staying at Pop in a couple of weeks. We have been to Disney once before, three years ago, and stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. It will be me and hubby, our 3 boys (12,11 and 9) and my inlaws. We have 2 rooms. Does anyone have any tips.advice for our first stay here and/or how it will be different from POR? Thanks.

We are staying at Pop in a couple of weeks. We have been to Disney once before, three years ago, and stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. It will be me and hubby, our 3 boys (12,11 and 9) and my inlaws. We have 2 rooms. Does anyone have any tips.advice for our first stay here and/or how it will be different from POR? Thanks.

Well, one convenient upgrade they have at Pop is that you can answer the door without even getting out of bed :-). You will notice that missing five feet or so at the end of the room. The door actually brushes the bed cover when it is opened and closed.

I love Pop. It is our favorite resort but I would love that few more feet that you get in a moderate.

Stayed at POP from October 21-26 and LOVED it! I requested a King room and we were given a room on the first floor of the 60s building facing the pool. It was a regular King room, not handicap accessible and having the one bed made the room feel SO much better than when I've stayed there in the past with 2 double beds. We had one minor run-in with some less-than-magical CMs in the food court, but overall, everything was great. We also rarely waited more than 5-10 minutes for a bus, either to or from the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter