Disney's Magical Express -- Luggage Tag Info

We're flying SW in 10 days...dd is moving to Orlando. So, we're each taking two bags, six ages total. So, we needed three addtl tags. I called DME and asked for the addtl tags. No problem, and I was told that since I had called before my order went to be printed, all the tags would arrive together. And...the order went in right away! So I got my tags about two weeks sooner than usual!

It does make sense, though, to be able to stipulate the number of tags needed when booking DME!

Once I realized I would only get 2 tags I called DME and requested 2 more. Only received 2 and had to call again and request the extras. Not feeling very confident that the extras will arrive in time...

I'm sure this has been gone over about a million times, but I have to call my MIL about our trip on Saturday and don't have time to use the search function.

My MIL/FIL were late adds to the trip. They didnt get their luggage tags in time or the paperwork that used to come with the tags (or maybe that info is on your bands now). How do they check into the DME when they arrive? They have been added, but have no bands (they will be waiting for them at check in), no tags, no paperwork. Just their names and our resort reservation number. I want to make sure I give her the right info when I call.

Please help me!!

As long as they have their resort number and IDs, they should be fine. They will go to the checkin area, their info will be looked up and they will be given vouchers to ride the bus. They can either claim their own bags, or they can give claim receipts to the DME workers, who will send someone to get the bags and move them to the resort.

Once I realized I would only get 2 tags I called DME and requested 2 more. Only received 2 and had to call again and request the extras. Not feeling very confident that the extras will arrive in time...
You can give the claim checks for the bags without yellow tags to ME staff.
I suggest one of 2 things
Don't use any yellow tags, give them all the claim checks
Use the ones you get and when you check the bags at departure keep the claim checks separate for the bags without yellow tags so you know which ones to give the ME staff. If you can. We had a hard time getting the baggage agent to figure that out, they move so fast. Since we didn't keep them separate they had to just take all the numbers down and figure out which went with the unclaimed bags and which didn't get to baggage claim at all. They did it but it was unnecessarily hard on them. I learned the next time and just left all yellow tags off. If you think you can intercept the baggage agent at check in then use the yellow tags on some.

Forgive as I haven't been to Disney in 5 years..and this thread is long...I understand there have been changes to DME since 2011. We are flying into MCO. I understand that I do not have to get my luggage at the baggage carousel? The DME will get my bags and to the hotel without me touching them? Is this correct? There are 4 of us staying at the wilderness Lodge. Hoping for a direct flight from PVD to MCO in June.

Forgive as I haven't been to Disney in 5 years..and this thread is long...I understand there have been changes to DME since 2011. We are flying into MCO. I understand that I do not have to get my luggage at the baggage carousel? The DME will get my bags and to the hotel without me touching them? Is this correct? There are 4 of us staying at the wilderness Lodge. Hoping for a direct flight from PVD to MCO in June.
Yes, you're basically correct. You will need to provide Disney with your airline and flight numbers. Roughly one month prior to your arrival date, you will receive a set of luggage tags (bright yellow) that you will need to attach to each piece of luggage you plan to check with your airline. Disney uses the bar codes on the tags to route your luggage to your resort. Your luggage generally makes it to your room 3 to 4 hours after you check-in.

Yes, you're basically correct. You will need to provide Disney with your airline and flight numbers. Roughly one month prior to your arrival date, you will receive a set of luggage tags (bright yellow) that you will need to attach to each piece of luggage you plan to check with your airline. Disney uses the bar codes on the tags to route your luggage to your resort. Your luggage generally makes it to your room 3 to 4 hours after you check-in.
To expand, you must land before 10PM or after 5AM (Eastern time) to use the luggage service. If your bags get there after 10PM they will sit, even with a yellow tag, till the staff returns the next day at 5AM, where they will eventually show up at your resort. So watch any times close to 10PM.

To expand, you must land before 10PM or after 5AM (Eastern time) to use the luggage service. If your bags get there after 10PM they will sit, even with a yellow tag, till the staff returns the next day at 5AM, where they will eventually show up at your resort. So watch any times close to 10PM.
Our flight got changed to 4:45 am so I shouldn't put the yellow tag and pick up luggage myself and take it with me to the bus right? It was so easy last time when we arrive after 5 am, before 10 pm.

Our flight got changed to 4:45 am so I shouldn't put the yellow tag and pick up luggage myself and take it with me to the bus right? It was so easy last time when we arrive after 5 am, before 10 pm.
That is the way I understand it, yes.
Now, it's been explained to me that if you do have a yellow tag on your bags, say your flight arrival time changes while you are in route, and you end up landing after the hours Bags, Inc operates, your bag will end up in the unclaimed bag area. The Bags Inc folks head there when they start their day to retrieve any bags that came in overnight. So they will eventually make their way to you. The part that makes me nervous about that is the bags sitting around waiting for who knows how long. I always envision that the longer a bag sits around the more chance it has to "grow legs" and find itself misplaced. However, if I was landing so very close to 5:00AM and I had yellow tags I have to admit, I'd use them. Odds are rather good that by the time your plane got to the gate and was ready to be unloaded, the shift for that day would have started. But that's me and shows just how much I dislike claiming my bags. I wouldn't let them sit overnight but I'd let them sit for 15 min.

We have changed our flight to Orlando from a late arrival to an early arrival on the same day. I had already signed up for Magical Express with the late flight info, then airfare for the early flight dropped so we opted to switch. Do I need to let Disney know about the change in our flight info or can I just get on the bus, even though we will be arriving much earlier?

(We are doing carry on only, so I don't have to worry about Disney taking care of our bags.)

We have changed our flight to Orlando from a late arrival to an early arrival on the same day. I had already signed up for Magical Express with the late flight info, then airfare for the early flight dropped so we opted to switch. Do I need to let Disney know about the change in our flight info or can I just get on the bus, even though we will be arriving much earlier?

(We are doing carry on only, so I don't have to worry about Disney taking care of our bags.)

No, Disney doesn't need to know your arrival time -- you can simply go to the Magical Express boarding area. The timing info they do need is your departure date and time so they can schedule your pickup at your resort when you go home.

No, Disney doesn't need to know your arrival time -- you can simply go to the Magical Express boarding area. The timing info they do need is your departure date and time so they can schedule your pickup at your resort when you go home.

Excellent! Thank you so much. We're keeping the same flight home so it sounds like we are set!

Forgive me if this has been asked a thousand times but I was wondering why the DME bags get placed in your room without your presence but bell hop won't deliver bags otherwise without you being there. Seems strange to me.

Forgive me if this has been asked a thousand times but I was wondering why the DME bags get placed in your room without your presence but bell hop won't deliver bags otherwise without you being there. Seems strange to me.
Even if you are not in your room, your bags will be delivered to your room. When we were there in April, we went to Disney Spring for dinner, when we came back, our bags were already in our room.

And also, next day, we have some pantry stuff delivered from Amazon and when we came back from the one of the park, it was inside our room.

EDIT: Misread your question. Didn't know this.

Last edited:
Because Bell Services/Luggage Assistance CMs are tipped by Disney/DME for baggage handling. So, they don't care if you're in the room.
On the other hand, if you arrive in a cab and give your bags to Bell Services to store, because your room isn't ready yet, no one is compensating them for baggage handling. Sothe guest has to be in the room to accept their bags, and to then hand the CM a gratuity.

Because Bell Services/Luggage Assistance CMs are tipped by Disney/DME for baggage handling. So, they don't care if you're in the room.
On the other hand, if you arrive in a cab and give your bags to Bell Services to store, because your room isn't ready yet, no one is compensating them for baggage handling. Sothe guest has to be in the room to accept their bags, and to then hand the CM a gratuity.
OK. So this is what we will be doing because our flight will arrive around 4:45 am. So once we check in, we have to leave our luggage with the bell services to store? We are planning to go to park after check in and don't know when we'll be back. Should we stop by bell services after we return from the park and pick up the luggage ourselves? We will have 2 small luggage and one carry-on, will $5 tip be enough? Thank you

I see that makes sense thanks.

OK. So this is what we will be doing because our flight will arrive around 4:45 am. So once we check in, we have to leave our luggage with the bell services to store? We are planning to go to park after check in and don't know when we'll be back. Should we stop by bell services after we return from the park and pick up the luggage ourselves? We will have 2 small luggage and one carry-on, will $5 tip be enough? Thank you

If it were me, yes, I would visit bell services and pick up what I stowed there. And yes, I think a $5 tip for three items is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter