Disney's ALL-STAR MOVIES RESORT Information & Questions

Any chance you can answer another question? What exactly is the difference between a regular room and a preferred room? Is it worth the $10 a night price difference?

Location, location, location...and in the case of the Toy Story area, theming.
All preferred are closer to the main bldg/food court.
Though, in many cases, you could have a non-preferred as close as some of the furthest preferred, or, at the Mighty Ducks section, you could be closer to the Music food court/bus stop without paying preferred.
I have never found preferred to be worth the extra $$$.
I just request "closest to bus stop" and take a standard room, and we've never been too far. One time, at Sports, we were CLOSER to the food court than many of the preferred rooms.

If you HAVE to have Toy Story or Fantasia or Dalmatians, then you have to book preferred.

Stinky_Pete said:
I can answer part 2 -

I had a room with a king bed on the third floor in one of the Mighty Duck buildings.

Keep in mind that most, if not all, of the rooms in the All Stars with king beds, have roll-in showers, not tubs. Some people don't like those, and all the water that gets on the floor, but I just used a towel to wipe up the floor when I was done.

Not true...only a certain % are the HC accessible rollin shower rooms. There are other king rooms that are HC Accessible with a tub with grab bars and some that are just 'plain' king bed rooms. It just seems that you must always get assigned to the same kind so it appears that it is the only kind there. They are not exactly equal in percentages but they are all represented. :)

Not true...only a certain % are the HC accessible rollin shower rooms. There are other king rooms that are HC Accessible with a tub with grab bars and some that are just 'plain' king bed rooms. It just seems that you must always get assigned to the same kind so it appears that it is the only kind there. They are not exactly equal in percentages but they are all represented. :)

Yep, I think you're right. Both at Movies and at the WL, I've never seen a room with a king bed and a tub. Must just be the luck of the draw.

Not that I mind. I'm a shower guy anyway and wouldn't have used a tub if I had one.

My plans are slowing changing for my October holiday.
Looks like theres a good chance I"ll be staying 4 nights at Movies before heading over to Pop for 5 nights. I've been reading that the back of the Mighty Ducks section is closer to the ASMusic buses that the actual ASMovies buses?
Can someone confirm exactly how much further?
Is there a path or walkway?
Is it ok at night when coming back from the park?

Thanks for any information. :thumbsup2

My plans are slowing changing for my October holiday.
Looks like theres a good chance I"ll be staying 4 nights at Movies before heading over to Pop for 5 nights. I've been reading that the back of the Mighty Ducks section is closer to the ASMusic buses that the actual ASMovies buses?

Thanks for any information. :thumbsup2

You can go to the Disney World site and see the resort maps. From what I remember, there is not a path, you will be walking through the parking lot that separates both resorts.

Having stayed at ASMu, I do remember the parking lots were well lit.

I've been reading that the back of the Mighty Ducks section is closer to the ASMusic buses that the actual ASMovies buses?

Yes, the Mighty Ducks section is closer to the Music buses than the Movies buses. You follow sidewalks and there's at two (or three) crosswalks involved, but it's a safe, marked, legitimate walkway and definitely something you should take advantage of if you are located in a Ducks room. You are able to walk directly to the bus area. Nighttime is fine too; no issues.

The Music Melody Hall food court and main Calypso pool are also a short walk from the Ducks section. In this case there is one crosswalk but connecting to a main path over to Music's main building.

The nice thing in particular is returning from the parks you can take either the Music bus (actually would be my preference) or a Movies bus depending on which works out better.

You can go to the Disney World site and see the resort maps. From what I remember, there is not a path, you will be walking through the parking lot that separates both resorts.

Having stayed at ASMu, I do remember the parking lots were well lit.

Yes, I did go to the website, I really couldn't get a good sense of things. I find the maps just look old and dates for these resorts and it doesn't give me a good picture that I'd like.

Yes, the Mighty Ducks section is closer to the Music buses than the Movies buses. You follow sidewalks and there's at two (or three) crosswalks involved, but it's a safe, marked, legitimate walkway and definitely something you should take advantage of if you are located in a Ducks room. You are able to walk directly to the bus area. Nighttime is fine too; no issues.

The Music Melody Hall food court and main Calypsp pool are also a short walk from the Ducks section. In this case there is one crosswalk but connecting to a main path over to Music's main building.

The nice thing in particular is returning from the parks you can take either the Music bus (actually would be my preference) or a Movies bus depending on which works out better.

This is great information! Thank you :) Can you see the Movies? I guess meaning I'll know where I"m going without needing signs or a map to get there? LOL Would you say that Building 2 or 3 is "better" for access? Or either is fine?

Thank you :thumbsup2

Yes, I did go to the website, I really couldn't get a good sense of things. I find the maps just look old and dates for these resorts and it doesn't give me a good picture that I'd like.

This is great information! Thank you :) Can you see the Movies? I guess meaning I'll know where I"m going without needing signs or a map to get there? LOL Would you say that Building 2 or 3 is "better" for access? Or either is fine?

Thank you :thumbsup2

Have you tried Google Earth? I have found that very helpful when I need a "real life" view of Disney property. You can zoom in pretty close and get a good idea.

Either building is fine. I was in building 3.

When you're at the Music bus stop, you can see building 2 of Movies to your right (as you're facing a bus). But I'd recommend your first use of the Music bus stop should be going to a park, not coming back. Then you'll have a better idea how the locations relate to where your room is.

As suggested above, getting a satellite Google map of All-Star Movies can help see just how close the Ducks buildings are to the Music buildings.

So, ALL of Toy Story and Dalmations are preferred?

The only reliable working info I know is that Toy Story, 101 Dalmatians, and Fantasia are preferred, with Love Bug and Mighty Ducks standard.

As to the "all" part, one day on this thread someone posted that parts of Toy Story and Dalmatians may have standard rooms that can be assigned, but I have not been able to double-check that information anywhere else.

The only reliable working info I know is that Toy Story, 101 Dalmatians, and Fantasia are preferred, with Love Bug and Mighty Ducks standard.

As to the "all" part, one day on this thread someone posted that parts of Toy Story and Dalmatians may have standard rooms that can be assigned, but I have not been able to double-check that information anywhere else.

I have never seen the statement about Standard rooms in Toy Story and Dalmatians corroborated. As far as I know all of Love Bug and all of Mighty Ducks are Standard rooms, everything else is Preferred.

Have you tried Google Earth? I have found that very helpful when I need a "real life" view of Disney property. You can zoom in pretty close and get a good idea.

Either building is fine. I was in building 3.

When you're at the Music bus stop, you can see building 2 of Movies to your right (as you're facing a bus). But I'd recommend your first use of the Music bus stop should be going to a park, not coming back. Then you'll have a better idea how the locations relate to where your room is.

As suggested above, getting a satellite Google map of All-Star Movies can help see just how close the Ducks buildings are to the Music buildings.

Apparently yesterday my head cold got the best of me, cuz I totally found the map now.. LOL But I will have to check out google earth (I hate to admit I've NEVER used it before, so the first time for something Disney is great :) )

We arrive late on a Monday (land at 630, hotel at 730) so I figure I would get the kids settled and then just take a little walk and figure it out. We won't be hitting the park until the morning so we have a bit of time.

Thanks for you help :)

Quick question. I've looked at the tv channels for the resorts and am not totally impressed with the lineup. I know there is wi-fi available. Would be useful to take my roku? Or is the wi-fi too spotty for that?

Quick question. I've looked at the tv channels for the resorts and am not totally impressed with the lineup. I know there is wi-fi available. Would be useful to take my roku? Or is the wi-fi too spotty for that?

I don't have a definitive answer (don't even know if you can hook up a Roku), but FWIW: other than morning, my sons never have sufficient wifi bandwidth (if that is the word) to stream youtube or other video in any onsite resort we've stayed at. And, they try to do this every evening, every trip, for years. Just too many people using the wifi in the evening I guess. (I've never had a problem reading text pages - news - on my ipad, though. Just the video streaming/downloading doesn't work or 'spins' for a long time.)

I don't have a definitive answer (don't even know if you can hook up a Roku), but FWIW: other than morning, my sons never have sufficient wifi bandwidth (if that is the word) to stream youtube or other video in any onsite resort we've stayed at. And, they try to do this every evening, every trip, for years. Just too many people using the wifi in the evening I guess. (I've never had a problem reading text pages - news - on my ipad, though. Just the video streaming/downloading doesn't work or 'spins' for a long time.)

OK. Thanks. That about what I thought. :(

Just booked All Star Movies for Nov 19-24th, sort of a last minute thing since we are going to Aulani in August. I have stayed at ASM before and loved it and I thought my twins who love Toy Story would enjoy it!

Anyone know if there are King bed rooms in the Toy Story buildings ? We are 2 adults going, and would much prefer a King bed (BF is 6'2... needs lots of space!). BF is also a huge Buzz Lightyear fan and as this will be his first trip to Disney World, so I want to make it extra special. We are going Sept. 2 - 10, I have not booked a preferred room... Hoping for an upgrade at check-in, or else I will pay the difference to surprise him ! :)

I know I've read that there is a microwave to use in the food court, but somehow I missed it last fall when we stayed. Can anyone tell me what area of the food court it's in? Can't believe I could've missed it. Thanks!

So I'm sorry if this is a repeat question but I just want to clarify.. If I don't spend another $10 per night for a preferred room then we will have a standard room. And the only standard rooms are herbie & mighty ducks?? Is that right?? My kids have no clue who they are but I REALLY don't want to spend another $80 just for a better themed room... Ugh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter