Disneyland will sell alcohol for the first time when Star Wars land opens in 2019

I wonder if they will extend this to their other restaurants, or could only legally limit to Star Wars Land (correct me if I'm wrong but I believe legally they could not get around Walt's liquor rules for Disneyland?) It would be nice when eating somewhere like Blue Bayou if you could have something other than water or soft drinks with your meal.

What do you mean legally? He's dead. Someone else runs the company. They can do whatever they want.

I don't know why it's such a big deal - it's only for sale and consumption in the cantina. We spend a lot of money on our Disney vacations. My husband and I like to drink - not to get wasted, just having a beer or two to relax on a vacation we worked very hard to earn while our kids also enjoy themselves. Would I go to DL/DCA without any alcohol - absolutely. But we wouldn't spend nearly as much time and money in the parks if we couldn't have a beer with lunch in DCA.

The thing is, I liked the fact that there was separation. California Adventure was the more "adult" park so it made sense that they sold alcohol. While I think it's appropriate over at California Adventure, it does not seem appropriate at the more family-friendly park. The reason they added it to Star Wars Land wasn't to boost guest satisfaction, it was to boost profits. Yes, Disney is a business so they are going to look for revenue increases anywhere. However, alcohol doesn't feel like it should be part of the identity of the park, especially since they're eliminating smoking areas. It's only a matter of time before they want to increase profits even more across the board and offer it at all restaurants inside both parks.

For me, it's less about people being visibly drunk and more about trying to shuffle past the Haunted Mansion without someone's beer sloshing on me.

Well, now that there won't be lids on any drinks, you will have to start worrying about soda sloshing on you. So, really, not a strong argument.

I or could only legally limit to Star Wars Land (correct me if I'm wrong but I believe legally they could not get around Walt's liquor rules for Disneyland?)

It is not a "legal" issue...it is simply a corporate decision. There is a liquor license that covers the whole park. Contrary to popular belief, Disneyland is not a "dry" park. In addition to Club 33, there are corporate and special events in the park all the time where they serve alcohol. Walt just did not want it served to the general attendee to maintain that family atmosphere which has guided the decision to date.

Booze is a HUGH money maker...and even though there have been isolated incidents, DCA has proven IMO that alcohol can be served and consumed responsibly.

For me though, it’s not about becoming or being a problem. It’s the fact Disney have done it because they realise what alcohol does to the profits.

Yes alcohol is good for profits, but it is also about customer satisfaction. I fir ine would be much happier being able to order a drink while dining at BB.

I will NEVER understand the argument that "family friendly" means no alcohol. Absolutely never. People used the same sky-is-falling lines about Gay Days and anything else they disagreed with, wildly overblowing imaginary scenarios that aren't grounded in anything real. Let people live their lives until it negatively affects you.

And for the record, MANY sober people are more annoying than drunk people.

Last edited:
I will NEVER understand the argument that "family friendly" means no alcohol. Absolutely never. People used the same sky-is-falling lines about Gay Days and anything else they disagreed with, wildly overblowing imaginary scenarios that aren't grounded in anything real. Let people live their lives until it negatively affects you.

And for the record, MANY sober people are more annoying than drunk people.

It might be because most kids/young adults under 21 can't legally drink.

Also, it does negatively affect others. That's one of the reasons why such strict regulations are put on alcohol sales across the U.S. We've seen drunk and belligerent people over in DCA and that's not the type of environment I want to subject kids to. It doesn't happen frequently, but it does happen and the same will happen over in DL. It's not the "sky is falling" thinking, it's common sense. Where there's alcohol there will be people who can't regulate their own drinking and will become a nuisance to others.

Hey, sorta like this (at WDW):

This guy and the patrons around her seem to be affected...

It might be because most kids/young adults under 21 can't legally drink.

Also, it does negatively affect others. That's one of the reasons why such strict regulations are put on alcohol sales across the U.S. We've seen drunk and belligerent people over in DCA and that's not the type of environment I want to subject kids to. It doesn't happen frequently, but it does happen and the same will happen over in DL. It's not the "sky is falling" thinking, it's common sense. Where there's alcohol there will be people who can't regulate their own drinking and will become a nuisance to others.

Hey, sorta like this (at WDW):

This guy and the patrons around her seem to be affected...

You're obviously entitled to feel however you want, but ... because a FEW people – a wildly small percentage of the millions of people who visit the parks every year – are unable to control themselves, alcohol should be TOTALLY banned? You could use those situations to teach your children a lesson instead of wanting to ban something the overwhelming majority of people around you are capable of handling.

Also, alcohol sales are not strict because people are annoying when they're drunk. It's because children should not be drinking it. Disney's not selling alcohol to children. They're selling it to of-age adults.

It's a shame the slippery slope has gotten out of control online already with people on other sites SO concerned that children are going to start being abducted in the parks because their parents are drunk. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You're obviously entitled to feel however you want, but ... because a FEW people – a wildly small percentage of the millions of people who visit the parks every year – are unable to control themselves, alcohol should be TOTALLY banned? You could use those situations to teach your children a lesson instead of wanting to ban something the overwhelming majority of people around you are capable of handling.

Also, alcohol sales are not strict because people are annoying when they're drunk. It's because children should not be drinking it. Disney's not selling alcohol to children. They're selling it to of-age adults.

It's a shame the slippery slope has gotten out of control online already with people on other sites SO concerned that children are going to start being abducted in the parks because their parents are drunk. :rolleyes:

When I’m paying thousands of dollars for a vacation to Disney, I’m hoping for a safe family environment to enjoy and share a vacation. I don’t want or need an opportunity to teach the kids not to overdrink.

When I’m paying thousands of dollars for a vacation to Disney, I’m hoping for a safe family environment to enjoy and share a vacation. I don’t want or need an opportunity to teach the kids not to overdrink.

Ah yes, the “I’ve paid a lot for my vacation so I want to dictate how other people should act” line.

I would ask you the same questions: Do you avoid EVERY place with alcohol? What about hotels that have mini bars? Because if we’re going by your definition, those are probably unsafe, un-family friendly places too.

Just unreal how one location selling alcohol that you can’t take out into the rest of the park means people are going to act like Mardi Gras. But it’s easier to start the moral panic than wait and see how things actually shake out.

Last edited:
The Cantina fits the theme. I understand the Disney is a profit driven company. $ is what they care about.

Someday, probably a couple years after it opens, I will go have a drink in the Cantina. However, I am NOT looking forward to people barfing on the ground in the parks. They do clean those things up quickly in DCA, but it really grosses me out when I see it and makes me think of the park overall as a slum.

Will there be a CM at the door, making sure no one leaves with a drink? Will there be a limit on how many drinks one person can consume at the Cantina? I hope that Disney enforces the rules, but I doubt they will.

Ah yes, the “I’ve paid a lot for my vacation so I want to dictate how other people should act” line.

I would ask you the same questions: Do you avoid EVERY place with alcohol? What about hotels that have mini bars? Because if we’re going by your definition, those are probably unsafe, un-family friendly places too.

Just unreal how one location selling alcohol that you can’t take out into the rest of the park means people are going to act like Mardi Gras. But it’s easier to start the moral panic than wait and see how things actually shake out.

Actually we do avoid places where alcohol is present and consumed. I don’t judge people who drink. Most of my friends and acquaintances do as do some family members. My immediate family and I just consciously choose a different lifestyle and like to be in a different atmosphere. We go to Disney because of the atmosphere. If that atmosphere changes, then yes, we will probably choose to spend our time in other places. I respect Disney’s right to choose the atmosphere they want to create and I respect other people’s choices to be place themesves in the atmosphere that they feel most comfortable and happy. I do believe as a paying customer, it’s okay to say I don’t agree with Disney’s choice when I honestly don’t agree.

ETA: EP used to be our favorite park, but we now frequent it less often because of the large presence of alcohol and the atmosphere it creates. It would be nice to keep some Disney parks alcohol free for those of us who don’t enjoy that atmosphere.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter