Disneyland will sell alcohol for the first time when Star Wars land opens in 2019

The Cantina fits the theme. I understand the Disney is a profit driven company. $ is what they care about.

Someday, probably a couple years after it opens, I will go have a drink in the Cantina. However, I am NOT looking forward to people barfing on the ground in the parks. They do clean those things up quickly in DCA, but it really grosses me out when I see it and makes me think of the park overall as a slum.

I'm not an annual passholder but when we go to Disney we spend more time on the DCA side and I've never seen barf.
Even if I did I wouldn't automatically assume it's because of alcohol. The only time my sister got sick in Disney was on the DL side and she threw up in a garbage can after Space mountain.

I also don't understand the logic that because there is alcohol everyone is going to run around like idiots. It would probably surprise you to no end that many people in line around you had a drink or two over at DCA or DTD before coming into DL without vomiting anywhere.

It might be because most kids/young adults under 21 can't legally drink.

Also, it does negatively affect others. That's one of the reasons why such strict regulations are put on alcohol sales across the U.S. We've seen drunk and belligerent people over in DCA and that's not the type of environment I want to subject kids to. It doesn't happen frequently, but it does happen and the same will happen over in DL. It's not the "sky is falling" thinking, it's common sense. Where there's alcohol there will be people who can't regulate their own drinking and will become a nuisance to others.

Hey, sorta like this (at WDW):

This guy and the patrons around her seem to be affected...
Lots of things other guests do negatively impact me.
I agree with the previous poster, we are talking the outliers here, and j trust that Disneybwill deal with them.

Will there be a CM at the door, making sure no one leaves with a drink? Will there be a limit on how many drinks one person can consume at the Cantina? I hope that Disney enforces the rules, but I doubt they will.

Will they enforce the rules lol, Disney hand holds me every step of the way telling me where I can walk in their car parks etc for safety, you can be sure no one is walking out of the cantina with a drink in hand

The Cantina fits the theme. I understand the Disney is a profit driven company. $ is what they care about.

Someday, probably a couple years after it opens, I will go have a drink in the Cantina. However, I am NOT looking forward to people barfing on the ground in the parks. They do clean those things up quickly in DCA, but it really grosses me out when I see it and makes me think of the park overall as a slum.

Kids barf all over the parks daily. It just saw it last week at DCA...it was a kid right about to get on Goofys sky school. They had to shut down the ride to clean it up. 2 weeks prior to that, someone threw up at 9:15am on the swinging car of the Fun Wheel. That person wasnt drunk either. They were motion sick. I had to throw up once in the bushes right outside Epcot because I couldn't make it to the bathroom. I ended up incredibly sick with a stomach virus for 4 days. I threw up the whole way back to the Contemporary in plastic shopping bags.

You can never just assume that people throwing up are drunk. That's probably not the case 99% of the time and is a silly reason to not want alcohol sold in the parks. Rides make more people throw up than anything else.

Last edited:
Change is a four letter word for a lot of people...

I still found it very odd to dine at Blue Bayou without the option of a glass of wine - but other than that I honestly couldn't care less if they do or do not serve alcohol but I most certainly don't expect people to be puking and jumping all over each other if they do. :drinking1

On one hand I want to scream that Walt never wanted this but even as a hardcore Disney nut, how long can we fall back on that?

Thank you! I'm happy to see more and more hardcore Disney nuts come around to the realization that Walt is dead, and he's been dead for a long, long time. That doesn't mean we stop doing "what Walt wanted" but if we do it should be a coincidence. Disney should do what customers today want. If they still want what Walt wanted, great! If not, well, please refer back to Walt being dead for a long, long time.

I don't know why it's such a big deal - it's only for sale and consumption in the cantina.

I wouldn't be surprised if this gets expanded to walking around Star Wars land but no alcohol past the tunnels. They will sell TONS more booze if they let people take it and leave while the cantina itself stays full all day. But still, that won't be a problem, I'm sure.

And for the record, MANY sober people are more annoying than drunk people.

So true, and yet I have to agree with the prohibitionist crowd that drunk people are a special kind of annoying that can be scary to children. I get that. I think alcohol sales should be tight to prevent overconsumption.

Hey, sorta like this (at WDW):

I'm sure I'm not the only one who found that video to be a little hot.

Just unreal how one location selling alcohol that you can’t take out into the rest of the park means people are going to act like Mardi Gras. But it’s easier to start the moral panic than wait and see how things actually shake out.

I don't think we have to wait and see how things shake out. It's right across the plaza and all over DTD and at all the hotels. Nothing prevents you from getting hammered at the restaurants and DCA before walking through the gates at DL. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's done that before. And yet it's not a huge problem. Booze sold in the Star Wars cantina will be like adding to a bucket with an eyedropper in terms of boozing at the resort.

ETA: EP used to be our favorite park, but we now frequent it less often because of the large presence of alcohol and the atmosphere it creates. It would be nice to keep some Disney parks alcohol free for those of us who don’t enjoy that atmosphere.

You go to Epcot less frequently because of the alcohol, but you haven't boycotted it entirely. In terms of not wanting to be around alcohol sales, do you also boycott Animal Kingdom, Disney Hollywood Studios, the Magic Kingdom since BOG opened, the deluxe resorts, Disney Springs, Universal Studios, California Adventure, the Grand Californian, the Disneyland Hotel, and Downtown Disney at DLR? If not, it would seem odd to take Disneyland Park of your list of places you are willing to visit.

In my view, of all of these places Epcot is really the worst in terms of drunk guests. I am a booze enthusiast, and even I think Disney should cut down on alcohol sales to people and make "Drinking Around the World" a thing of the past. But adding one spot in Star Wars land selling watery theme cocktails is not going to ruin Disneyland Park forever. In fact, I can confidently predict that it will have almost no impact whatsoever on the amount of drunk people in Disneyland at any given time.

think Disney should cut down on alcohol sales to people and make "Drinking Around the World" a thing of the past

I disagree, I think they need to embrace the Drinking Around World, because then they could sell a special passport that gives you a drink in each country-but it wont be a full size drink. Then people.can have fun doing it without as much to drink

Didn’t they do the same thing with BOG in WDW? I would think if it caused any issues they wouldn’t be expanding it to DL.

Yep! And I think one or two other places in MK.

It started with alcohol at BOG at dinner only (the only meal at which it is a full service restaurant). People here had the same uproar about alcohol in the MK. People comforted themselves by saying at least it’s one mealtime at one restaurant. Since then, alcohol has gradually been added to other sit down restaurants. Just a few weeks ago, that process was completed and all sit down restaurants now have alcohol for sale. I think it’s a limit of two pp and they can’t be taken outside the restaraunt. I’m a local passholder and visit frequently. I have never seen an intoxicated adult at MK. In fact, the only park in which I’ve seen intoxicated people is Epcot, despite there being alcohol avaliable at many stands/carts in HS and AK. The problem with Epcot is the very wide variety of international drinks; people make a game out of trying as many as they can. I don’t think DL will see an increase in drunk people if they handle it the same way they have at MK.

I personally think Galaxys Edge may be the first FP’ed land to enter - they do something similar in Universal Studios in Japan with the Wizarding World.

If that happens or if the Cantina is going to be an ADR that means you won’t get to spend all day in there anyway. So no time to down however many drinks it takes you to become tipsy/drunk.

And if it is just a bar and serves all day, it will become another Trader Sams.

I personally think Galaxys Edge may be the first FP’ed land to enter - they do something similar in Universal Studios in Japan with the Wizarding World.

If that happens or if the Cantina is going to be an ADR that means you won’t get to spend all day in there anyway. So no time to down however many drinks it takes you to become tipsy/drunk.

And if it is just a bar and serves all day, it will become another Trader Sams.

I have read that the bar will be set up to "move people through quickly and not make them want to linger" by providing VERY limited numbers of actual tables, and it being primarily a "stand around the bar" type place. There won't be barstools. There won't be ADRs, they won't serve food (I hear). And, the cocktails will be premade and held in "tanks" to be dispensed via a series of tubes (for visual effect). There will be beer as well.

Will there be a CM at the door, making sure no one leaves with a drink? Will there be a limit on how many drinks one person can consume at the Cantina? I hope that Disney enforces the rules, but I doubt they will.

I can only comment on my experience at DCA last week. I had a Moscow Mule (alcoholic drink) from one of the holiday fesival kiosks. I was done with it but there was still ice in the cup. I was leaving DCA through the GCH exit, as that is where we were staying. The CM at the park exit gate asked me to throw it out prior to going through the exit, which I was happy to do. She could tell it was an alcoholic drink because it comes in a yellow plastic cup instead of a regular cup. I guess if one really wanted to sneak it out of the park, one could pour it into a soft drink cup, but I had no intention of that. I guess someone could pour the alcoholic drink into a reusable water/drink bottle/refillable mug etc and walk out of the cantina (or park) with it. So yes, I think they will literally have someone at the door, but all of that can be worked around if someone wants to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter