Disneyland vs Disneyworld differences?

Here's the opinion of someone who doesn't get to either park very often, but was fortunate enough to visit both 2 weeks apart this year...
( First some background: Been to DLR in 1980, 1995, 2005, 2008, 2011, 2014, and Nov.11-14 2016....first time to WDW was Oct.27-28 2016 ).
I had read MANY comments over the years about how superior DLR was to WDW so I had a preconceived impression of WDW, and found that I really enjoyed WDW anyway, I loved the space ( WDW never had bunched up crowds like DLR does around Indiana Jones and HM - which was SOOO NICE ), the much larger castle, and a couple of the classics like Peoplemover. I will likely never get back there tho', just because now I understand the differences and still much prefer DLR for most of the reasons mentioned in previous posts.
While I did parkhop, and accepted the time it took to commute, saying it's a not a PITA seems strange to me, I think there's nothing enjoyable about waiting for busses, and there's ALOT of that if you parkhop. There's a lot of it just getting to the parks and back at the end of the day - nevermind parkhopping.
I was surprised by Mistys comment that the dining choices were more and better at DLR, I felt WDW seemed way more about making $$ of things like restaurants as there were so many more. I do have to say that I strongly disliked the counter service restaurant process of Order/pay, then walk up the counter to have your meal assembled - yuck!
To get back to the OP question about "is it worth it to stay onsite at DLR " - I vote NO, have never stayed on site at either destination, and likely never will. My usual advice re: DLR hotels is that I would do it if I had UNLIMITED $$ + LIMITED time and wasn't able to travel very often - due to making/earning all the UNLIMITED $$ - LOL! simply because the money saved staying offsite could be applied to taking another vacation either elsewhere or even back to DLR another time in the same year.

^Kind of. Some restaurants do it like WDW (Hungry Bear, Flo's), but it's more common to do it buffeteria style-go to the line you that has the food you want, the cast member serves you your food, and then you pay when you leave the ordering area.

Ok, this sounds similar to Pepper Market at Coronado Springs in WDW, which we loved (both Coronado and Pepper Market).

I just think they blew it when planning DW. They could have made it easy to get from the hotels to the park, but it is anything but. When you can travel long distances in NYC, the most congested city in the US, faster than you can at DW you know something is wrong.

Having not been to DL yet (soon!), I do agree that park hopping is ridiculous, and you are at the mercy of the bus timing and position (if you're on a later stop, it could very well be full). It's easily an hour from park front gate to front gate at times. Throw a couple scooters into the mix and all bets are off.

I agree that park hopping at WDW is annoying but I will say that it's much better with a car even though it still takes time. I have never taken the Magical Express from the airport because I always end up renting a car and it's cheaper from the airport than from the Disney Car Care Center. The one time I did use the bus because I just figured I'd leave the car parked and just go back to the resort via bus then come back later, it was not too bad of a process but it was before spring break time in March so crowds were low, and I was going from park to resort directly which is easier. If I had to rely on buses I probably would not park hop much if at all but I like the freedom and learned that park hopping is priceless with little kids since it's hard to predict what they will like. My DD who was 5 when I went with her was obsessed with MK and always wanted to go back there so hopping was necessary because no matter what other park we went to we always ended up back at MK.

One more difference I found while at DL is that I found it easier to find bathrooms in WDW. I'm not sure if it was just happenstance where while there whenever I needed a bathroom I happen to be near one, but in DL I felt like everytime I needed one I had to ask and then had to walk back to another land. Cali Adventure it wasn't as much of an issue. It's really not a big issue but just something I noticed when I was touring. Along the same lines I like the food choices at MK better than DL as well it seems like there are either more counter service or more options but again that could be perception of how many versus actual real truth. I did miss Pecos Bill's for the topping bar though.

We are considering visiting DL next holiday season. How good are the TS and CS in terms of accommodating food allergies? One person in my family has a fairly common one of dairy while the other has a fairly unusual one. WDW is great but we haven't been to DL in 10 years prior to the family member acquiring the unusual one so just curious as that will help in our decision of whether to go or not. Also, which week of the holiday season would have the lowest crowds if we go to the 2 parks on weekdays? Thanks!

We are considering visiting DL next holiday season. How good are the TS and CS in terms of accommodating food allergies? One person in my family has a fairly common one of dairy while the other has a fairly unusual one. WDW is great but we haven't been to DL in 10 years prior to the family member acquiring the unusual one so just curious as that will help in our decision of whether to go or not. Also, which week of the holiday season would have the lowest crowds if we go to the 2 parks on weekdays? Thanks!

They are better than any other restaurants I've been to regarding food allergies, especially the TS. A chef will typically come out to talk to you about the allergies and design a solution.

They are better than any other restaurants I've been to regarding food allergies, especially the TS. A chef will typically come out to talk to you about the allergies and design a solution.

I will second this! I do not have allergies, but a chronic digestive disorder that does require accommodation sometimes. Last visit the chef visited us to discuss, and then came back after and spent quite some time talking to us about the meal, what we liked/disliked, the experience and anything else they could do to make it magical. He also stopped with other tables too. I am sure for allergies they will definitely consult you but since I'm not allergic, I was really impressed the chef took the time to talk to me and didn't send out a different staff member, but came by himself. This was at the Plaza Inn during lunch on a Saturday!

I haven't seen this mentioned in the thread at all. The one thing DL has over WDW is Oscar. He just celebrated 60 years with DL! He is a wonderful gentleman who I will chat with every MM for a bit before catching up with the family in line for Star Tours.

I didn't bother reading through all of the threads, but I just wanted to say that we have always gone to DLR (I grew up in California, now live in TX.), and just spent 6 days at WDW (stayed on property) this past Summer, and will definitely stick with good old DLR for now on! Not that WDW isn't great, and doesn't have a lot to offer, but I just prefer the original. We're not the kind of family that must be inundated with everything Disney 24/7, and we like that we can go visit DLR, stay in a variety of hotels that are very close to the parks, and not feel like we are in this Disney bubble. I like that we can take a day off and go to the one of the wonderful nearby beaches, etc. Maybe I just like California a whole lot better than Florida, but it seems like the whole family had decided that we like DLR better. Although, the new Avatar land that will be opening up looks pretty cool. Maybe we'll give WDW another whirl in a couple of years, but for now......we're sticking with DLR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter