Disneyland vs Disneyworld differences?

RockAndRollBallerina

DIS Veteran
As someone who hasn't been to Disneyland in well over a decade, though goes to Disneyworld at least once a year, and stays at the on property resorts. What are the differences I should be aware of between Disneyworld and Disneyland; and is it worth even staying at an on property Disneyland hotel?

There are quite a few differences and some things that are similar. Here's my own personal list in no particular order:

1. Staying 'on property' is nice at DL, but not essential because there are so many decent hotels/motels across the street on Harbor Blvd which are actually closer than the DL Hotel or Paradise Pier Hotel. Best Western Park Place Inn, for example.
  2. One perk of staying on property at DL is EMH. EMH is really useful at DL because most of the DL guests at So Cal locals and they will often not get to DL until late morning.
  3. People who purchase 3-day or more tickets do get 1 Magic Morning entry at DL, which can be used on Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday. That applies even if you don't stay at GCH, DLH, or PPH.
  4. So for Sun, Mon, Wed, and Fridays, if you stay on property, you get EMH to DCA. And only people who stay on site get EMH to DCA.
  5. Staying on site is really nice, but it's not essential to having a magical trip.
  6. If you're going to stay on site, I prefer the DL hotel. But the GCH is closest to both parks.
  7. DL is more intimate, walkways are not as wide as in WDW.
  8. The castle is a lot smaller, but it's still really awesome. There is a Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk Through attraction that's fun to go through.
  9. DL & DCA together have as many, if not more, attractions than the 4 parks at WDW combined.
  10. 1 huge plus to DL - you can hop between parks and not have to go through the security check point all over again. You just walk a couple hundred feet from the DL entrance to the DCA entrance. It takes a couple of minutes. It's awesome.
  11. #10 makes having park hopper passes much more handy.
  12. There's no FP+. Just regular paper FP. You are not allowed to reserve FP's months in advance. You have to be in the park at the FP distribution point in order to get a FP.
  13. Characters - there are so many characters that just roam around the park. they show up just about anywhere. It's much more spontaneous and it's really fun. This is another reason why getting to the park at rope drop is useful because every morning we've been in Fantasyland for the first 2 hours after park opening, we see Peter Pan, Captain Hook, Alice in Wonderland, and the Mad Hatter just wandering around. No FP+ required to take pictures with them. No lines. If there is a line, you maybe wait 5 min. That's it.
  14. Indiana Jones - totally awesome ride
  15. POTC - has 2 drops and it's a longer ride
  16. Haunted Mansion
  17. we still have Mr Toad's Wild Ride!
  18. Peter Pan - has been there since opening day of DL in 1955

Great list! The POTC also has that great smell. Disneyland is more compressed, but I like it.
It is also a lot easier to get to DL if you stay on property, or across the street.
California Adventure is right across from DL, and you should go there too - if you have not been in 10 years.
Carsland is unique, and awesome.
It is much better than it was.

@VandVsmama hit a lot of the major points!
We just came back from our 2nd WDW trip this year and my husband looked at me and said "Next time, we are going back to Disneyland. It's easier." To me that sums up a major difference, it's just easier -smaller, less planning....but, also has some really cool unique to DL rides (Indiana jones, radiator Springs racers) and some old favorites are much better at DL imo (pirates, space mountain). We stayed at a HOJO about a 10 min walk from DL. Most comfortable beds ever in that hotel, like sooooo comfortable. It had a fun water park type pool area that my kids loved too. We usually stay in a disney resort in FL, but in CA it really isn't necessary.
I was a WDW vet, who fell in love with DL. In some ways I like DL better, but Cinderella castle holds a sentimental place in my heart bc WDW is where I went as a kid.

Last edited:

Thank you so much. All of you have been very helpful in me making decisions in regards to my trip, and the first time ever for my husband in a Disney park. :)

I just thought of another one!

Dining reservations - or ADR's as WDW vets call them. It's much simpler at DL. Why? Let me count the ways! :-)
  • you don't have to get on the phone or online in the middle of the night 6 months before your trip date in order to snag that coveted restaurant reservation.
  • ADR's open 60 days prior. Except for certain special dining packages which involve special reserved space/access to events like Paint the Night parade, in which case those usually open up 6 weeks before the date.
  • WDW vets often panic at this. If you find yourself thinking, "OMG! I'm going to miss out on not getting that reservation for lunch/dinner on day 2 of our trip!" then have no fear. It will all work out.
  • WHY will it work out? Because most DL visitors are locals. And the locals tend to go to DL just for a day or part of a day. And when they go, they tend to eat at CS restaurants instead of TS. And a lot of the locals will decide to go to DL that day sort of on a whim.
  • You really don't have to call in the middle of the night. You can wait until normal waking hours to call DL dining reservations. And if you're using the website to make your reservation but you don't like the time slots you're getting, then you should call because you'll often get more flexibility by calling directly.
  • For most DL visitors, eating/dining is not THE experience. It's something that they do when they're hungry and then they move on to the next attraction. The locals who go to DL know that if they can't eat at Blue Bayou for dinner, then they can just try next month. Whereas at WDW, most visitors are from out of town and have saved up a lot of money to go on what might be their 'once in a lifetime' or 'once in a really long time' trip, thus increasing the stress and expectations of eating at a certain restaurant.

I have also found that Disney's Disneyland smart phone app has accurate wait times. And I really like being able to see when various characters are going to be out and at which locations throughout the day.

If this is your DH's first trip to DL, then you guys are going to have SUCH AN AWESOME TIME!!!! I am so excited for you! Carsland is really amazing and it feels like you were transported into the movie. No joke. I always laugh my fool head off when we go on Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. The single rider line is handy at Radiator Springs Racers. Also, at dusk in Carsland, they play the "Sh-boom" song while they light up all of the neon lights. It's only a minute or 2 long, but it's pretty special because there's so much magic and atmosphere.

I've always wanted to watch this, but never manage to time it right, so I miss it - but I've heard that the flag retreat ceremony at DL every day is pretty special.

In the Adventureland Bazaar store, there is a fun machine called Shrunken Ned. You put in $0.75-$1.00 (I can't remember how much it costs) and Ned (whose head was chopped off by 'natives') talks to you and gives you a prescription card. The prescription card has a funny little phrase on it that's really silly. There's a similar one in New Orleans Square with a pirate in the machine. It's in the narrow "street" where the Blue Bayou restaurant is.

Every afternoon at some point between 2-3pm at Coke Corner on Main Street near the hub, Alice and the Mad Hatter play musical chairs with kids. Ask for the exact time at Coke Corner earlier in the day. Even if you don't have kids, it's fun to sit and watch.

...which brings me to another point. The street entertainment is a lot of fun and really cool. It often seems like the Disneyland Band is always out playing. When they do their short "shows" in front of the castle, Bert and Mary Poppins join in and dance and sometimes get kids to dance with them during the songs. There's a really cool pirate band that walks around New Orleans Square and Adventureland playing & singing pirate songs. They are my favorite! It's generally the same folks in the pirate band the various times we've been to DL over the last 3-4 years, which I think is pretty cool.

In Fantasyland, Gaston often roams around (check the DL app to find out what times he's there) and he's really hilarious. The Fresh Baked Disney channel on YouTube has some awesome videos of Gaston. It's SO funny!

There are quite a few differences and some things that are similar. Here's my own personal list in no particular order:

1. Staying 'on property' is nice at DL, but not essential because there are so many decent hotels/motels across the street on Harbor Blvd which are actually closer than the DL Hotel or Paradise Pier Hotel. Best Western Park Place Inn, for example.
  2. ...
  3. DL & DCA together have as many, if not more, attractions than the 4 parks at WDW combined.
  4. ...

We've been to WDW with my kids one (two years ago) and are planning our first Disneyland/DCA trip in the summer. Am sooo excited. I know it'll be a different experience and that's actually a good thing as the first time visiting is always the best as you're trying/seeing things for the first time.

I've heard others mention point #3 above, but it's one that I don't get :confused3....mostly because when visiters go to WDW, a lot will go for say 10 days (we only did 4 plus an evening)....and that is split between up to four parks. BUT when visitors go to Disneyland/DCA, they only go for say 2-5 days. To me, that sounds like there is much less to keep you busy. I know travel time between parks isn't as much, and even walkable at DL, but that can't more than double the time.

We're debating between 3 and 4 days so have been thinking lots about the best number of days which is why it's fresh in my mind and comparing the two.

PS - That's really neat that the characters just walk around the park. I think WDW used to be like that (I went as a kid 30 years or so) and don't remember having to line up at specific spots to see them. Disneyland seems like the good old days.
PPS - Looking forward to trying the rides/seeing attractions that are not at WDW such as Mr Toad, Snow white , Carsland, World of Color etc
PPS - One disadvantage at DL is that my understanding is there is no Wifi. Since we're coming from Canada, we won't have a data plan and thus, won't be able to use the app for wait times while there. (Having said that, my DH is phone addicted so I'm also not jumping out for a plan or he'll be on his phone while we're there instead of "with us".)

There is definitely plenty to do at the DLR. However, what DLR lacks compared to WDW is a lot of the deluxe resorts with stuff like the Hoop Dee Do Revue. Or that pirates-themed partial-day excursion that you can sign your kids up at some of the Deluxe resorts. Or going on special sunrise safaris at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Or 2-3 fancy restaurants to try in every Deluxe resort. Or 10+ different character meals to try out.

DLR has, by comparison, 5 character meals - 1 at each hotel and 1 inside each resort.

I could totally do 5 days in a row at DL but finances often get in the way.

Many people who travel to DL far off places/long distances will stay in So Cal for a week or more. They might do 4-5 days at DL and spend the rest of their stay exploring other stuff in So Cal. For example, they'll do the So Cal equivalent of Animal Kingdom...and go to the San Diego Zoo (in San Diego) or the San Diego Zoo Safari Park near Escondido. Or they'll go to Hollywood/Burbank and go on a Warner Brothers studio tour or visit Universal Studios. Or they'll go visit the La Brea Tar Pits if their kids are into dinosaurs. You want to see an aquarium, too? There are some good options about 45 min-1 hour's drive from Anaheim.

1 big reason why it's just not necessary to spend 10 consecutive days in DL/DCA is because everything is so close by. At WDW, if you start the morning at 1 park and want to 'hop' to another park, you could be looking at an hour's worth of travel time. At DLR, it's <5 min to walk from 1 entrance to the other. And if you stay at 1 of the 'on property' resorts or somewhere along Harbor Blvd right next to DL, then you're talking 10-15 min max for walking from the Esplanade to your hotel.

No waiting in line for a bus.
No waiting for the monorail to arrive.
No having to walk over to a bus if the monorail broke down.
No watching several buses go by because none of them are headed to your resort.
No waiting for the next bus because the 1 right in front of you is full.
No waiting 20 min for the water taxi.

All of this results in you have WAY more time available to spend IN the parks. If you want to take a break at your hotel, you don't end up spending 1/2 of 1 park day by:
- 1 hr travel from the park to your hotel
- unwind, swim, change back into park clothes
- another hr travel time from hotel back to a park
- then walk pretty far from the transportation drop off to the park entrance
- then wait in a long security line

At DLR, if you want to hop from 1 park to another? You don't go through security again. That could save you up to 15 min right there.

We are WDW vets who will be going to DLR for the 3rd time next December. The first time we went to DL we thought this was going to be our only time going (we are from the Midwest and it is easier and less expensive for us to go to WDW). Let me just say that the first time we stepped into DL Park, our whole family was hooked. We all just love the feel of the DL Resort and how much smaller it is compared to WDW. We really like the fact that you don't have to rely on transportation to get you from one park to the other or one resort to the other. Also, the rides/attractions are awesome, and ones that you cannot find at WDW (i.e. Carsland, Californian Screamin, Alice in Wonderland, Matterhorn, etc..). Of course there are rides that both WDW and DLR have but some are better then their counterparts, for instance my favorite ride in WDW is POTC, but I really like the one in DL better because it is longer, and the ride in Space Mountain is so much better then the one in WDW (this is another favorite of mine) because the ride is much smoother and you sit side by side, on the other hand, I prefer Splash in WDW compared to the one in DL because it seems to go much slower and you can really enjoy the ride (plus I've always gotten soaked on Splash more in DL then in WDW, DH calls the one in DL more of a water flume ride, but he loves the one in DL more then the one in WDW). Also, DL Park has a couple rides still from back when Walt was around compared to WDW that are now extinct. This includes Mr Toad's Wild Ride (absolute favorite ride growing up as a kid and even though I love Winnie the Pooh as a character, I was really bummed that WDW changed out Mr. Toad's to the Winnie the Pooh ride), the Seas with Nemo is in the old 20,000 Leagues under the Sea attraction, and they still have Snow White's Scary Adventures. Even the first time you walk down Main Street you get a certain feel in DL, I don't know if it's because we go to WDW so much (once, if not twice a year), but I get so giddy and a tear in my eye when I see Sleeping Beauty's Castle. Don't get me wrong, I love WDW, it's our home away from home, but there is just something special about DLR that makes me so warm and fuzzy inside.

We've been to WDW with my kids one (two years ago) and are planning our first Disneyland/DCA trip in the summer. Am sooo excited. I know it'll be a different experience and that's actually a good thing as the first time visiting is always the best as you're trying/seeing things for the first time.

I've heard others mention point #3 above, but it's one that I don't get :confused3....mostly because when visiters go to WDW, a lot will go for say 10 days (we only did 4 plus an evening)....and that is split between up to four parks. BUT when visitors go to Disneyland/DCA, they only go for say 2-5 days. To me, that sounds like there is much less to keep you busy. I know travel time between parks isn't as much, and even walkable at DL, but that can't more than double the time.

We're debating between 3 and 4 days so have been thinking lots about the best number of days which is why it's fresh in my mind and comparing the two.

PS - That's really neat that the characters just walk around the park. I think WDW used to be like that (I went as a kid 30 years or so) and don't remember having to line up at specific spots to see them. Disneyland seems like the good old days.
PPS - Looking forward to trying the rides/seeing attractions that are not at WDW such as Mr Toad, Snow white , Carsland, World of Color etc
PPS - One disadvantage at DL is that my understanding is there is no Wifi. Since we're coming from Canada, we won't have a data plan and thus, won't be able to use the app for wait times while there. (Having said that, my DH is phone addicted so I'm also not jumping out for a plan or he'll be on his phone while we're there instead of "with us".)

I actually really disagree with only needing 2-3 days at Disneyland. We like to see the parks in a relaxed manner and our rule is we don't wait more than 20 minutes for any ride except Peter Pan. We easily did Magic Kingdom in 1 day using these rules at WDW. At DLR? Yeah right. We try to go for 3 trips a year to DLR- 3 days, 5 days, and 8 days. Even with 8 days we don't typically ride every ride or see every show. There's just so much to do at DLR vs WDW! Lots of little hidden gems everywhere. I'd go for at least 4 or 5 park days for the first time, for sure. Go at rope drop, leave the park for lunch, a nap and a swim and go back in for the evening. Relax and enjoy yourselves.

One big one not mentioned.... Weather, MUCH nicer and less humid in Southern California.

Also, a lot more things to see and do,many of which can be done without renting a vehicle.

Buena Park with Knot's Berry Farm, Medieval Times,Pirates Dinner Theater, and coming in 2017, the Butterfly Palladium.

www.visitbuenapark.com

Great shopping in the Citadel Outlets, Buena Park Mall and Downtown, South Coast Plaza, The Outlets at Orange and MainPlace Mall.

Museums in the Discovery Cube Science Center and the Bowers Museum/Kidseum.

Take a train to Mission San Juan Capristrano,the San Clemente Pier and Oceanside Pier.

Visit San Diego, home of the San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld and LEGOLAND California.

www.sandiego.org

Head to the Balboa Peninsula at Newport Beach, take the short Ferry ride, take a boat/whale watching tour, enjoy the beach.

Check out Huntington Beach, aka Surf City USA.

www.surfcityusa.com

Visit Long Beach and the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Queen Mary.

www.visitlongbeach.com

So variety, easy to get around (not landlocked in the middle of WDW), and did I mention LESS HUMID!!!! :)

Other nice factors:
-Lots of random, strolling entertainment in both parks, and even if you don't stop and listen, you notice. It makes a difference in the feel of the resort.
-Longer park hours. 8 AM-10 PM for CA and 8-Midnight for DL.
-You can get everywhere in the resort on foot in less than 20 minutes. If you wanted to walk from the back of DL to the back of CA, you could do it easily. And the rides are much closer together already anyway. It makes it much easier to do a lot of attractions in a short amount of time.

The counter service restaurants are way better in DLR. I grew up in SoCal and went to DL constantly. We almost always ate CS (Plaza Inn has some of the best fried chicken in SoCal). However, when we are at WDW we lean toward TS because we find the CS options lacking.

We're I guess former DLR vets who fell in love with the advance-planning and on-site convenience of WDW's MyDisneyExperience app, FastPass+, and MagicBands. We are actually at Coronado Springs as I write this, on the last night of a holiday stay at WDW--our second WDW trip this year--and we were just having a discussion about whether we would ever become DLR passholders again and go back to DLR as regularly as we used to. And we both agreed that we just can't see that happening because Disneyland Resort refuses to move forward as originally planned with the New Tech initiatives. We were very much against them originally, too. Then we used them and they made total sense. Now we are Walt Disney World passholders because of them, and we never thought that would happen in a million years.

My point is, the biggest difference that you're going to feel between the two coasts probably is the complete lack of the capability to do advance planning online or plan and change things on the fly on the ground in an app at DLR. That, and I might add the complete lack of public Wi-Fi in the parks at DLR. Compared to WDW's universal coverage, that's pretty maddening, too.

We're I guess former DLR vets who fell in love with the advance-planning and on-site convenience of WDW's MyDisneyExperience app, FastPass+, and MagicBands. We are actually at Coronado Springs as I write this, on the last night of a holiday stay at WDW--our second WDW trip this year--and we were just having a discussion about whether we would ever become DLR passholders again and go back to DLR as regularly as we used to. And we both agreed that we just can't see that happening because Disneyland Resort refuses to move forward as originally planned with the New Tech initiatives. We were very much against them originally, too. Then we used them and they made total sense. Now we are Walt Disney World passholders because of them, and we never thought that would happen in a million years.

My point is, the biggest difference that you're going to feel between the two coasts probably is the complete lack of the capability to do advance planning online or plan and change things on the fly on the ground in an app at DLR. That, and I might add the complete lack of public Wi-Fi in the parks at DLR. Compared to WDW's universal coverage, that's pretty maddening, too.

I heard they were possibly moving towards an online FP system, but I could be wrong. I am planning my first trip to DLR (been to WDW 3 times) and from what I read, it's just a different experience. But I can see where you're coming from.

I heard they were possibly moving towards an online FP system, but I could be wrong. I am planning my first trip to DLR (been to WDW 3 times) and from what I read, it's just a different experience. But I can see where you're coming from.

I believe they are, with FPs to be linked to your ticket media. But tickets and room key cards will remain separate.

I just got back from my first trip to DL after going to WDW only and I have to say I thought that it would be a one and done thing too but I have absolutely fallen in love with DL. It has a different feel than WDW and park hopping is much much easier, we were able to get reservations for Goofy's Kitchen, one of the character dining experiences, on the same day which probably wouldn't happen at WDW unless it was the slow season.

One difference that hasn't been mentioned that I found to be a bit of a thing for me was the lines. In WDW the lines are mostly inside which makes sense because of the weather but at DL the lines are outside and can make the already small walkways even more crowded and, as a first time visitor, it was kind of confusing sometimes to figure out where the line for the ride begins. For Small World Holiday, which is awesome by the way, there was a cast member with a sign for the beginning of the line. Once I got used to the park it was easy to find the lines but the other downside is boredom. For me at WDW the lines are part of the experience because of the interesting scenes that entertain you along the way like for the Little Mermaid ride you are wandering through a cave past some of Ariel's trinkets and for POTC you wander past treasure etc. With the lines being inside at WDW it keeps the walkways free and its much clearer where the line is. I still really liked DL though and will definitely go back especially since I live on this coast.

Easily hopping back and forth is great. Cars Land is amazing. And the churros!!! I ate way too many of those and they are overpriced but still. Its nice that DL is so ride dense when compared to WDW parks and I could have easily spent more days (we spent about 3.5 days in the parks) at DL alone. Outside of Cars Land and Soarin' DCA is more of a 1 maybe 1.5 day park honestly.

There's other things I miss about WDW but anyone who loves Disney really should visit DLR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter