Disneyland - Hollywood split stay help!

Marthasor

DIS Veteran
We will be visiting SoCal for 7 nights in April and want to do a Disneyland/Hollywood split. We really want to do the touristy stuff in Hollywood and then go to Disneyland.

Right now, I'm thinking 2 nights at Loews Hollywood and 5 nights Grand Cali. Do you think that is enough time in Hollywood?

Also, do you think we should rent a car or hire private car services to travel back and forth to the airport and between hotels?

Thanks!

What is on your list of touristy stuff in Hollywood? You may need a car, you may only need one night. It depends.

Yes, that's plenty of time in Hollywood. We stayed at that Loews just last month as part of our Adventures by Disney Back Stage Magic tour. Very nice hotel and great location.

Sadly, there really isn't much "Hollywood" (stars, film production, etc) in Hollywood any more. Mostly its walking down Hollywood Blvd looking at the stars (and mumbling to yourself, "is he still alive?" or "who's that?"). The Chinese theater courtyard is interesting for about 15 minutes and the theater itself is gorgeous inside. Dodge all the "characters" though. We enjoyed the wax museum.

Yes, that's plenty of time in Hollywood. We stayed at that Loews just last month as part of our Adventures by Disney Back Stage Magic tour. Very nice hotel and great location.

Sadly, there really isn't much "Hollywood" (stars, film production, etc) in Hollywood any more. Mostly its walking down Hollywood Blvd looking at the stars (and mumbling to yourself, "is he still alive?" or "who's that?"). The Chinese theater courtyard is interesting for about 15 minutes and the theater itself is gorgeous inside. Dodge all the "characters" though. We enjoyed the wax museum.

That's funny! That's pretty much all we want to do! See the sign, the Chinese theater, the stars on the sidewalk and catch a movie at El Capitan. We were going to do this first as we recover from jet lag then head over to Disneyland. Sounds like 2 nights is enough.

Have to research cost of rental and parking vs. private transfer I guess

That's funny! That's pretty much all we want to do! See the sign, the Chinese theater, the stars on the sidewalk and catch a movie at El Capitan. We were going to do this first as we recover from jet lag then head over to Disneyland. Sounds like 2 nights is enough.

Have to research cost of rental and parking vs. private transfer I guess

http://www.pinterest.com/carissahouston/la-in-a-day-hollywood/

It's not that far from DL -- and once in Hollywood we only drove about 6 miles; everything is really close together. We drove into Hollywood around 10am and we were done with everything in time for an evening Dodger game [Your movie at El Capitan could take the place of a Dodger game] then drove to DL and stayed put in the hotel there for the rest of our trip.

That is to say, unless you just really want to there is no reason to stay overnight in Hollywood. You could easily drive back & forth for the two days (but really one is enough!) and not have to switch hotels.

http://www.pinterest.com/carissahouston/la-in-a-day-hollywood/

It's not that far from DL -- and once in Hollywood we only drove about 6 miles; everything is really close together. We drove into Hollywood around 10am and we were done with everything in time for an evening Dodger game [Your movie at El Capitan could take the place of a Dodger game] then drove to DL and stayed put in the hotel there for the rest of our trip.

That is to say, unless you just really want to there is no reason to stay overnight in Hollywood. You could easily drive back & forth for the two days (but really one is enough!) and not have to switch hotels.

That's an interesting idea! In fact, that's what I originally planned to do! I think we could easily get Hollywood done in a day (at least the things we want to do). Thanks so much for your input! Love the pictures, too! I didn't know there was a Hollywood Tower Hotel - that's really cool!

There's some really cool stuff to do in Hollywood that is not touristy.
Eat at Musso and franks for dinner
Go walk around lake Hollywood. It's 3.3 miles, bring water and wear comfortable shoes. Then you can stop off at Hollywood land antiques and timepieces up on beachwood canyon Blvd . They have lots of real Hollywood memorabilia , not t-shirts and shot glasses. There's a nice cafe next door with really good food.
Go horse back riding at sunset ranch.
Take the paramount pictures tour. Then pop over to Hollywood forever cemetery to see valentinos final resting place.
. These things can take a day or two.
Plus, you'll see lovely neighborhoods and not get stuck in the tourist trap of Hollywood Blvd.
You'll need a car for these things. I'd also suggest if possible , drive through Griffith park. Go to the Autry museum and the l.a. zoo. There's also a beautiful carousel in Griffith park, the one Walt used to take his daughters to , before creating Disneyland. On certain days, you can see walts carollwood barn. There's also travel town training museum. and if you want to eat where Walt and the other Disney execs used to eat, go to the tam o shanter in los feliz
As far as watching film production on the streets of Hollywood, there is plenty. It's just not open to the public. Security will usually usher you away from the area.
Hope you have fun in my town while you are here!

There's some really cool stuff to do in Hollywood that is not touristy.
Eat at Musso and franks for dinner
Go walk around lake Hollywood. It's 3.3 miles, bring water and wear comfortable shoes. Then you can stop off at Hollywood land antiques and timepieces up on beachwood canyon Blvd . They have lots of real Hollywood memorabilia , not t-shirts and shot glasses. There's a nice cafe next door with really good food.
Go horse back riding at sunset ranch.
Take the paramount pictures tour. Then pop over to Hollywood forever cemetery to see valentinos final resting place.
. These things can take a day or two.
Plus, you'll see lovely neighborhoods and not get stuck in the tourist trap of Hollywood Blvd.
You'll need a car for these things. I'd also suggest if possible , drive through Griffith park. Go to the Autry museum and the l.a. zoo. There's also a beautiful carousel in Griffith park, the one Walt used to take his daughters to , before creating Disneyland. On certain days, you can see walts carollwood barn. There's also travel town training museum. and if you want to eat where Walt and the other Disney execs used to eat, go to the tam o shanter in los feliz
As far as watching film production on the streets of Hollywood, there is plenty. It's just not open to the public. Security will usually usher you away from the area.
Hope you have fun in my town while you are here!

Oh my gosh! Thank you SO much! I just wrote all of this down! All of these things sound amazing! Looks like we'll miss Walt's Barn by one Sunday :( I think I'm going to add one more night to the Hollywood portion of our trip now AND rent a car. Thank you!!

Also look up the Warner Bros VIP tour. It's pretty cool if you really want to see a real working movie lot. (WB is "over the hill" from the Loews in Burbank -- about ten minutes by car.)

Will you have kids with you?

Oh my gosh! Thank you SO much! I just wrote all of this down! All of these things sound amazing! Looks like we'll miss Walt's Barn by one Sunday :( I think I'm going to add one more night to the Hollywood portion of our trip now AND rent a car. Thank you!!

Yay!! You will have a great time! Lake Hollywood closes at dusk. 5 pm. Just Google everything. If I can think of anything else, I'll post it. :)

Also look up the Warner Bros VIP tour. It's pretty cool if you really want to see a real working movie lot. (WB is "over the hill" from the Loews in Burbank -- about ten minutes by car.)

Will you have kids with you?

That tour looks so cool! DS7 will be with us, so it looks like he is too young for it this year. My sister is moving out there soon, so I'm sure we'll be back to do it another time. Maybe just do the paramount tour this time? I so wish we could see the Disney Studios!

Be sure to stop off at the Farmers Market on Fairfax for lunch.

If you are restricting yourself to just the immediate Hollywood area then there's not that much to do, but if you're willing to branch out to other areas within driving distance there's TONS of stuff to do depending on your interests.

Griffith park has a train museum where you can ride a miniature train , it's right down the road from the travel town train museum. Travel town has a bigger miniature train. To ride as well. I think it's about $3- a person to ride. Check the schedule for hours.
Also, sometimes at the los Angeles equestrian center, there are free events like dressage or barrel contests. It's In Burbank.
Griffith park golf course has a driving range and I believe lessons. It's a full 18, you can rent carts too.
Most of the places I've mentioned are Hollywood localized. And are easy to get to .
When you are on Hollywood boulevard near the Kodak theatre mall, across the street is the Roosevelt hotel. It's where the first Oscars were held. They have a lovely restaurant and a great burger place, too. Right down the street , next to el Capitan is the ghiredelli ice cream shop. There are plenty of stars to see on the walk of fame.

The things I've suggested are things that locals like me and my husband enjoy. I hope you'll get to see it for more than just traffic and tourist traps, but instead, see historic landmarks and places that have true history and get a real Hollywood experience.

That tour looks so cool! DS7 will be with us, so it looks like he is too young for it this year. My sister is moving out there soon, so I'm sure we'll be back to do it another time. Maybe just do the paramount tour this time? I so wish we could see the Disney Studios!

The minimum age for Paramount is 10. Universal Studios has a backlot tram tour as part of the theme park, that's pretty much your only option with a 7 year old.

The minimum age for Paramount is 10. Universal Studios has a backlot tram tour as part of the theme park, that's pretty much your only option with a 7 year old.

We've done the universal back lot tour, it's great !! Super fun !

Here's a few more Hollywood suggestions!

There is a subway station (the red line) located at Hollywood & Highland.

If you wanted, you could take the subway to Universal Studios (it's literary 1 stop away, about 7 minutes away). If you take the subway, you won't have to pay for parking. At Universal, you could spend sometime at Citywalk. (Without having to pay to go to the theme park)

I was going to suggest seeing Disney's Broadway show, Newsies, at the Pantages, (also 1 subway stop away in the other direction, lol), but it might be too long / uninteresting for a 7 year old.

You could also check out the Hollywood Bowl (it's walking distance from your hotel)

Well, the thing is, that to take the Universal tour you have to buy admission to the theme park. My kids are 8 and 11, and I'm local -- I wouldn't spend a day to do that with a seven-year-old in your shoes.

Now that I know you have a boy that age, I'm thinking... he won't care about the Walk of Fame stars or handprints (although I totally understand the parents wanting to see them!).

LaBrea tarpits is freaky cool, plus you're right next to all the outdoor art at LACMA. But if you don't have a car that might be a pain as it's about two miles away. The Counter burger place is right next to it and is a good place for lunch if you do go there.

El Cap is definitely a good idea -- hopefully they'll be running a good movie when you're there. I'll keep thinking...

Hmmm... I'm not sure I agree with this. If you're flying into LAX, I would definitely drive into Hollywood, check into the hotel, stay there, then maybe leave the following evening for DLR. But driving LAX to DLR, then the next morning back INTO Hollywood (which is technically only 35 miles but could easily take you 90 minutes) and then BACK down to Anaheim isn't my idea of a vacation. Just wouldn't be how I'd want to start my trip. But again, YMMV. Just wanted to offer an opposing view.

I moved this thread to the Southern California forum, as it's more about SoCal activities than it is about Disneyland planning...

I agree with sheetz. A stop at the Original Farmers Market on Third and Fairfax -- which is right next door to The Grove, a place where TMZ hangs out undercover, waiting for celebrities -- is worthwhile. The array of food there -- some of it can be found at newer establishments, and some of it can be found at longtime family-run counter service places -- is amazing. It's a historical site in Los Angeles, and it's one of the city's true treasures (touristy or otherwise)!

Plus, according to something that was on the Farmers Market Facebook page last year, "...when Walt Disney worked on early designs for Disneyland, he did some of his work while dining on Farmers Market patios."

The Tar Pits are just a few minutes south of Farmers Market, and they are next to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (which has already been mentioned in the thread).

At the front of LACMA (Wilshire Blvd. side) you will find the wacky street lamp installation, as well as the free sculpture garden. At the back of LACMA (6th Street side), you will find Levitated Mass -- which is an art installation that is a gigantic boulder (you can walk underneath the boulder, and the forced perspective is kind of interesting)!

There is also a restaurant that is part of the Patina Group located at LACMA (Patina is the same company that operates Catal, Uva Bar, Naples and Tortilla Jo's in Downtown Disney at Disneyland Resort).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter