Disney +

Do the rooms have Disney+?
No, but if you have it you can chrome cast Disney+, Netflix,etc from your phone. We use to bring our Apple TV, but with the renos they can no longer be connected. It took us a while to figure out the chrome casting when we were there last (Dec from Vancouver) but once we did it was super easy.

Comcast I think is easier in general
I have zero tech savvy, but I just had to sync my iPhone by scanning in a QR code from the Tv screen, and then I was able to start a show on Disney + or Netflix on my phone and hit the little “casting” icon on my screen and it would play on the TV.

Correct... The Aulani TV's have Chromecast built in, so you need something that will *cast* to it. Worked well for us too.

We also always bring a Roku too... I don't think there is an available/enabled HDMI port in Aulani.

At HHI right now with no HDMI port... Tombstone DVD from mercantile best option 😀

Have fun!

Yes I am surprised every room doesn't just have Disney plus service included. For what they charge a night it should totally be a pack in.

Also they got rid of the DVD/Blue Ray lending library! I loved that place.

Chromecast works very well with the Xfinity Stream and Amazon Prime Video apps on our iPhones and iPads. I tried setting up my Firestick, but couldn't get it to work.

Chromecast works very well with the Xfinity Stream and Amazon Prime Video apps on our iPhones and iPads. I tried setting up my Firestick, but couldn't get it to work.

Apparently I’m old and out of touch, but you can stream from an iPhone to a chromecast? I thought iPhones only recognized Apple TV boxes???
Second question - has the wifi at Aulani improved enough that you can use it to stream video on your devices? Last time we were there - four years ago - emailing and browsing from our room was iffy.

Yes I am surprised every room doesn't just have Disney plus service included. For what they charge a night it should totally be a pack in.

Also they got rid of the DVD/Blue Ray lending library! I loved that place.
Disney wants guest out of room spending money.

Apparently I’m old and out of touch, but you can stream from an iPhone to a chromecast? I thought iPhones only recognized Apple TV boxes???
Second question - has the wifi at Aulani improved enough that you can use it to stream video on your devices? Last time we were there - four years ago - emailing and browsing from our room was iffy.
Chromecast is new to me...didn't think it would work on any iOS device, but I was wrong. That's why I went through trying to setup my Amazon Firestick. As it turns out, Chromecast on our two TVs syncs quite well with my iPhone X and iPad Pro.

Wi-Fi here is another issue. We've had no problem surfing with our iPhones and iPads and my M1 MacBook Pro. On our first two days here all streaming ran very well. Today, our third day, streaming began pausing quite often. I called Guests Services and they sent an IT guy to our villa. He's writing up the issue for investigation.

We found wifi pretty good for streaming olympics, etc, altho one morning we were having issues when we were doing our online Covid test to get back to Canada (!!! - not good timing). We were never able to successfully pair our iPads to either the TV in Waikiki or at Aulani while we were there…not sure why.

It is app dependent. I wanted to cast YouTube, which supposedly should work but it didn't and provided an explicit "this won't work" error message. Disney+ did work. What you need to look for and click on is the "cast" symbol which looks like the rectangle with concentric arcs below:

Disney+. …

That's about all I know. If someone knows how to fix the YouTube issue please chime in.

Last edited:
I cast at home all the time - but no luck in Hawaii
We had some IT-ish problems there:
  • Could not log into the Aulani app - always stuck just past the Touch Id step with a white page showing "Disney Account".
  • We lost something and went to concierge to report it. The CM tried to send me via text the form for filling out a lost item report but he couldn't get it to go through. We did double-check he had my phone number.
  • He then tried to send the form (or maybe the link to it) to my email address. I left the desk at that time, and the form never came through. (We did find the item ourselves.)
  • We had wanted to find out about wheelchairs at the hotel prior to our arrival, so sent an email to Guest Services via the app. Never heard back from them.
  • The aforementioned issue with casting YouTube to the smart TV.
Maybe the menuhene were messing with us.

Watching Disney+ cast from my phone was great.

The Aulani app on the other hand, rarely worked properly. I usually ended up going to the Aulani website to find what I needed.

Some issues may be the result of using a VPN. We always invoke our VPNs when traveling and they can cause havoc with syncing and general connectivity. We sometimes need to pause our VPNs for a few minutes to allow our devices to sync over iCloud.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter