• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no data stored on the Magic Bands.

Your MDE account should reflect your booking date.

Hopefully someone who has checked in within the past few days will be returning from their trip soon and can report to us how this is being handled.
Did not know that. I always thought that there was data stored due to FP's, DDR, and credit card info that we used without actually showing the credit card, but just scanning our Magic bands.

Did not know that. I always thought that there was data stored due to FP's, DDR, and credit card info that we used without actually showing the credit card, but just scanning our Magic bands.

The Magic Band accesses your MDE account. There’s nothing on the band itself.

We are driving next month for our stay AKL and we scheduled this trip way in advance so no parking fees. I might have missed this with all the responses on this fee, how do they know at the front gate that you paid in advance and how do you get your parking pass? Is this given when you drive through the front gate or do you have to get it at the front desk? Luckily we are flying for our trip in November and this also was scheduled way ahead of time. I doubt if we drive again that we will be staying at a deluxe resort because of the high parking fee. I for one would like the fees to be the same for all of the resorts.

In your case, just go about your business as you might have a few years ago............

--Pull in the visitors lane and greet the guard........telling them you are here to check in.............they will scan your band and tell you to come on in.
--Pull up to the luggage load/unload zone and go inside to check in
--They will tell you where your room is and where you can park.
--The "system" is supposed to be smart enough to know that upon checkout, NO parking fee should have been assessed on the folio.
--I would verify no fees are present before leaving the property for good, during the morning that you leave.

Even if you did online check in, I would still talk face to face with a CM on the day of arrival to verify you will not be charged for parking...........in case the "system" is not so smart!!

Curious... She said she was in George’s office? I contacted GS in 2014, never the presidents office. Not sure what that is about. The signature of her emails listed her department as Guest Experience Services.

Or is GS and Kalogridis’ office one in the same?
No she said she was contacting me on behalf of Kalogridis' office. She wasn't in his office or working for him directly. She said that she was given the assignment of calling people who had contacted George Kalogridis and that she worked for Guest Experience Services. I think they just assigned experienced GS members with the phone calls for the executives. They don't tend to have large staffs who could make the volume of phone calls needed to cover all of the people who contacted the executives over this. My daughter worked in customer service for a long time and when customers got angry or they couldn't resolve their issue they would transfer it to the escalation department. I'm pretty sure that is what we are seeing here with Disney. That because so many people contacted the president of the parks and resort division, they either got their escalation department members to handle it or took some experienced GS members to make the phone calls to handle what they knew would be a big problem. I hope that clears up what I was trying to say.

I finally got a standard reply to the email I sent the day the parking fees were announced -
"We occasionally make adjustments based on a variety of factors, including alignment with our resorts in California, Hawaii and nearly 80% of full-service hotels in the Central Florida area. The policy regarding resort overnight parking will apply to Guests who book their hotel reservations on or after March 21, 2018, while Theme Park parking will remain complimentary for all Resort Guests."
What is interesting about that is the person I spoke to over the phone told me it was 90% of the local hotels charge for parking and I told her I don't believe her and besides their room rates are a lot cheaper even with the paid parking. So which is it 80% or 90%. Now they are just making crap up. SMH.

What is interesting about that is the person I spoke to over the phone told me it was 90% of the local hotels charge for parking and I told her I don't believe her and besides their room rates are a lot cheaper even with the paid parking. So which is it 80% or 90%. Now they are just making crap up. SMH.

Just taking a small guess here....I bet Disney didn't anticipate this much backlash. As a result, they probably had to pull together last minute staff meetings to discuss the issue/what to tell their employees to inform customers. This may be causing inconsistent response.

I received a similar call from Matt yesterday, a few hours after I emailed George Kalogridus a rather lengthy email describing 50 plus years of visiting Disney. I was told mr. Kalogridus had read my email, and that Disney appreciates the feedback. Matt certainly had read my email and was most patient to my additional comments and points. Regardless, I heard nothing that led me to believe the parking charges will be reconsidered.

I also received this email reply today from guest services:

Thank you for your email regarding our policy for overnight resort parking. We appreciate you taking the time to share with us your heartwarming stories and sharing your Disney memories with us from over the years.

We value your membership with Disney Vacation Club and you being a part of our Annual Passholder family. We are pleased to offer complimentary standard overnight self-parking when you stay at a DVC Deluxe Villa, whether you choose to use vacation points or another form of payment. As a Disney Vacation Club Member, you also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Should you choose to book a room at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel without the use of vacation points, you may visit our website for information about overnight resort parking. Theme Park parking will remain complimentary for Resort Guests. As you mentioned, the industry standard of the Central Florida area is for resorts to charge a parking fee. This change in policy is consistent with that industry standard, as well as aligns us with our business practices among our other domestic properties in California and Hawaii. This policy will allow our Cast Members to provide a friendly and more personalized welcome to their Resort, to really provide that Disney level of service upon our Guests arrival.

Complimentary parking will be available for all Guests who wish to dine, shop, enjoy activities or visit a resort for the day, and Resort Guests will continue to receive complimentary parking at our Theme Parks. In regards to our Tables in Wonderland Guests, this policy will not impact the complimentary valet parking for dining purposes at our Walt Disney World Resorts.

We appreciate you reaching out to us. We look forward to welcoming you home in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Cassandra
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

I did respond to the email with further comments. If I receive a reply, I will share here. Even if the policy regarding parking fees is not rescinded, I am glad I shared my thoughts about it with Disney. Thanks to the posters who provided the email addresses.

There is no data stored on the Magic Bands.

Your MDE account should reflect your booking date.

Hopefully someone who has checked in within the past few days will be returning from their trip soon and can report to us how this is being handled.
It does not matter that the data isn't stored on the magicband. The data on the band links it to your account. Semantics games aside, by scanning your magicband the scanner all the information on your MDE account regardless of the storage location so the Kevin355's intent stands and is accurate.

Mike

Should you choose to book a room at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel without the use of vacation points, you may visit our website for information about overnight resort parking. Theme Park parking will remain complimentary for Resort Guests. As you mentioned, the industry standard of the Central Florida area is for resorts to charge a parking fee. This change in policy is consistent with that industry standard, as well as aligns us with our business practices among our other domestic properties in California and Hawaii. This policy will allow our Cast Members to provide a friendly and more personalized welcome to their Resort, to really provide that Disney level of service upon our Guests arrival.

We appreciate you reaching out to us. We look forward to welcoming you home in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Cassandra
Walt Disney World Resort

I did respond to the email with further comments. If I receive a reply, I will share here. Even if the policy regarding parking fees is not rescinded, I am glad I shared my thoughts about it with Disney. Thanks to the posters who provided the email addresses.

I literally laughed out loud when I read the bolded portion...

I can't even...what??...I mean really??....WHAT??!!! What hallucinogenic substances are they using over there??

I received a similar call from Matt yesterday, a few hours after I emailed George Kalogridus a rather lengthy email describing 50 plus years of visiting Disney. I was told mr. Kalogridus had read my email, and that Disney appreciates the feedback. Matt certainly had read my email and was most patient to my additional comments and points. Regardless, I heard nothing that led me to believe the parking charges will be reconsidered.

Thank you for your email regarding our policy for overnight resort parking. We appreciate you taking the time to share with us your heartwarming stories and sharing your Disney memories with us from over the years.

We value your membership with Disney Vacation Club and you being a part of our Annual Passholder family. We are pleased to offer complimentary standard overnight self-parking when you stay at a DVC Deluxe Villa, whether you choose to use vacation points or another form of payment. As a Disney Vacation Club Member, you also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Complimentary parking will be available for all Guests who wish to dine, shop, enjoy activities or visit a resort for the day, and Resort Guests will continue to receive complimentary parking at our Theme Parks. In regards to our Tables in Wonderland Guests, this policy will not impact the complimentary valet parking for dining purposes at our Walt Disney World Resorts.

Warmest regards,

Cassandra
Walt Disney World Resort

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think it helps people in the future with their phone calls or emails and what to address.

I do find the line in bold interesting. What is the parking fee going to do to change what they were doing before the parking fee? Is there now going to be some big brass band to meet you when you get to the entrance? Will the CM checking you in at the gate dance for you or something? That is one of the dumbest lines I have seen yet. Trust me there have been plenty of dumb excuses by Disney for this parking fee. It just seems to keep getting deeper and deeper the more they try to justify this obvious money grab.

I just got off the phone with a GS rep from George K's office. He has responded to my emails with personalized emails, not form letters. I thanked him for that and for his persistence in finding a time for us to talk. He seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say and we shared our love of the Disney bubble. I mentioned that I was actually considering staying offsite or staying at Universal and Ubering to WDW, things that have never been part of my Disney plans before. I even told him about the Disney binder I keep where I am always planning my next trip and how all this may not be part of my life anymore. He told me that he has had conversations with many people who have the same passion for Disney and who are very upset about this. I think he was taking notes while we talked or that he planned to share the content of my email with George K. and the leadership of WDW. They do not want us to consider spending the majority of our vacation time, and money I'm sure, at the "park up the street".
I felt listened to. There was none of the industry standards or alignment lines, only listening and what felt like genuine concern. I don't want to be cynical, so I will say I am cautiously optimistic that this issue may be reconsidered. If it isn't, I plan to keep writing and calling. I hope you will join me. Also, he did mention that several people who were DVC and not affected by this, have also expressed strong opinions. They are taking notice of this! Again, thank you to all the people who are DVC or who fly and take DME who are emailing and calling!
They are listening and taking note. I hope this will lead to positive changes for their loyal guests.
P.S. Just read the above email response and it deflated any glimmer of hope I had that this would change. Not giving up though.

It's not just the parking fee. It's the increased park prices, increased room prices, increased dining prices, the deterioration of expectations, and the cutbacks on what you used to get for your money. Prices go higher, perks go lower. When I pay higher prices, I expect more for it.

If car dealership A has the car that I want for $20,000 and all of the options included, and then dealership B has the same make and model, but missing some of the options at the other dealership, but charge you for location and image...what value is better? I don't expect a room at AoA, POR, CBR to be of the same quality as a Hyatt or such, but to increase the price but not the amenities, the shine has came off of the Disney experience.

Look, I do not fault anyone for liking/loving the WDW experience, but for me, the price increases and nickel and dime decisions that WDW is making at ever higher profit margins, the value to me is not the same.

Amen

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think it helps people in the future with their phone calls or emails and what to address.

I do find the line in bold interesting. What is the parking fee going to do to change what they were doing before the parking fee? Is there now going to be some big brass band to meet you when you get to the entrance? Will the CM checking you in at the gate dance for you or something? That is one of the dumbest lines I have seen yet. Trust me there have been plenty of dumb excuses by Disney for this parking fee. It just seems to keep getting deeper and deeper the more they try to justify this obvious money grab.

Be on the lookout for the red carpet.

Maybe they can incorporate some of the parts of the old Magic Kingdom Welcome Show to the process when you pull up to the security gate? Now that would be a friendly and personalized welcome! The security guard can sing "Good Morning" while he scans your magic band...I miss that show...

IF I ever go back to Disney after my upcoming trip, I will likely give Wyndham Bonnet Creek a try. A lot of people love it there. (There is a long running thread about it in the Orlando Hotels section.) It sits on Disney land, all accommodations are condos, and the pools look amazing. I will never ever ever pay Disney to park at one of their hotels. Ever.

I was responding to a post.....

"As a public company, Disney's duty is to maximize the value of its shareholders' interest." etc.....

My comment was regarding stocks, what shareholders own.

Yeah, but that post was in response to the tension between providing a quality product and executives' desire to meet targets to get performance-based compensation incentives. And since Parks & Resorts is its own division, it has its own layer of execs whose bonuses and stock options hinge on satisfying quarterly and annual profit targets for their division, and there's another layer below them that is specific to Walt Disney World. The box office success of Black Panther does nothing for Kalogridis; he has to find new ways to squeeze money out of WDW to get his bonuses. And while the company doesn't publish salaries for execs at his level, looking at Iger's pay structure gives an idea of how much those bonuses can be - Iger's base pay is $2.5mil and has remained flat for quite some time, but performance incentives bring his annual compensation up to the $35-40mil level every year.

This policy will allow our Cast Members to provide a friendly and more personalized welcome to their Resort, to really provide that Disney level of service upon our Guests arrival.

I literally laughed out loud when I read the bolded portion...

I can't even...what??...I mean really??....WHAT??!!! What hallucinogenic substances are they using over there??

They will helpfully personalize your welcome by tailoring the size of your parking bill to your length of stay and choice of resort. :rotfl: Isn't that so much better than the generic, everyone-the-same free parking you were getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter