Disney removing Bill Cosby bust at DHS

It should be removed
Considering how the confederate flag has presented itself within the past month I would feel weird seeing it. I am a little historian and even though it is a relic right now it's not the most appropriate thing to have in Disney

Purely personal opinion....
I believe Disney, operating on the principal of AVOIDING anything disturbing to any guest, took this action. It was not a Political decision - it was a BUSINESS decision.
I agree that it was a business decision. The Decision was probably based on the fact that so many seem to be offended by what he did and Disney is worried that it could impact them negatively. I don't believe they have quantitative proof of this, more of a concern or "Feeling" (If you will) because those who are not upset enough are generally indifferent to to it. (My self included). To elaborate:
  • If they leave it, those that are upset about what BC did, would be vocal to Disney (or others) and could impact revenue. Those who are not upset about it wouldn't care and revenue wouldn't be impacted.
  • If they Remove it, those that are upset about what BC did, would be happy revenue won't be impacted. Those who are not upset about it wouldn't care and revenue wouldn't be impacted.
So basically, because the Business decision is based on how people will react, it is "Political" (although not governmental) because at the heart of being PC is to not offend anyone. Since those offended are the ones that will make the impact, it's both a Business and Political decision. (One driving the other)

And in other news, cultural cleansing has now come to WDW. Disney just removed the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia from the American Adventure attraction at Epcot.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...nfederate-flag-epcot-down-20150708-story.html
It's enough to keep up with ONE topic in a thread, please don't introduce another that is only (VERY) superficially related to the thread. Particularly when there is already another thread on that topic.

And in other news, cultural cleansing has now come to WDW. Disney just removed the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia from the American Adventure attraction at Epcot.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...nfederate-flag-epcot-down-20150708-story.html

There's already another thread on that......

You know, there are other forums out there that are for political purposes, PM me if you need some suggestions. I frequent a few, but this isn't where I come to spout my political views to other disney fans.

Ah ha, someone (likely blinded by the agony of a big chip on their shoulder) let it slip that yes, the Cosby scandal and the increasingly zealous PC movement are not the same issue. Touche! :tongue:

Which to those not in denial is becoming more visible by the hour:

Wal-Mart has announced it is removing all "Confederate" merchandise from its stores.

EBay has announced they will no longer allow the sales of Confederate (read: battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia) flags or any other memorabilia (albeit a quick check shows they have a long way to go in enforcing that.)

Amazon has announced it will no longer sell items with the now verboten image of the Confederate (read: battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia) flag.

Tennessee lawmakers are demanding that a bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest be removed from the statehouse.

Baltimore lawmakers want to rename Robert E. Lee Park.

Dallas lawmakers are considering demands to rename Stonewall Jackson Elementary School.

St. Louis lawmakers are debating over the future of a confederate statue in a city park.

Commissioners in Hillsborough, North Carolina are debating whether to remove the words “Confederate Memorial” from a Confederate memorial.

Nascar is trying to ban the flying of the Confederate (read: battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia) flag on the infields of racetracks.

TVland has stopped showing re-runs of the "Dukes of Hazzard" due to the auto driven by the principal characters having a Confederate (read: battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia) flag on the roof.

Yep, "Robin," no slippery slope at all. :sad2: :rolleyes1 :sad2: :rolleyes1

You know, you're really convinced that the "sheeple" who believe that we shouldn't be flying a symbol of white supremacy on state houses or that serial rapists shouldn't get special honors are
Going to strip the country of everything unique about it, but your spectacular leaps of logic make you look paranoid. This is predominately about your inability to understand why, as a nation, we have to do better by ALL of our people. Not just the white ones. That maniac who shot up that church isn't the only white supremacist using your beloved battle flag as a symbol.

Now you're trying to point out how stupid the people looking to remove the "Confederate" flag are by pointing out that it's the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, but I can tell you that none of your like minded citizens are making any distinctions. They're calling it the Confederate flag, too, so don't act like the whining Liberals don't understand.

When I was a kid, we didn't really have car seats. Heck, our cars didn't even always have seat belts. People love to bring up how current parents are over invested or over worry. My line? When we know better, we do better. That's it. No judgement. The Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia has become a symbol of violence and hatred towards our fellow man. We know that, so we have to do better. Bill Cosby is a sexual predator. I grew up on him, too, but he doesn't deserve a bust in a theme park (and a lot of other things, frankly). We know this about him now, so we need to do better. Thats it. Period.

The current incarnation of the confederate flag that we all know and recognize today did not exist historically. it was created in the 20th century, nearly 100 years after the war, by extremist groups who wanted to make it clear that their views on race reflected that of the 'old south' it was created by combining the "battle flag" (a square piece of cloth) with the confederate 2nd naval Jack. The flag Disney removed was the "blood stained banner" one of the only 3 accurate confederate flags

As far as Bill Cosby goes, he admitted to purchasing drugs with intent to distribute. Whether or not the people who took the drugs were aware of them or not, it is still illegal to distribute prescription meds and its within Disney's right to remove a bust if they feel the person who they honored it with, is no longer deserving of the honor. And I don't think MJ ever admitted to anything or was convicted (unlike BC)

Last edited:
The current incarnation of the confederate flag that we all know and recognize today did not exist historically. it was created in the 20th century, nearly 100 years after the war, by extremist groups who wanted to make it clear that their views on race reflected that of the 'old south' it was created by combining the "battle flag" (a square piece of cloth) with the confederate 2nd naval Jack. The flag Disney removed was the "blood stained banner" one of the only 3 accurate confederate flags

I'm pretty sure the "current incarnation" was created shortly after the war started. From what I've read, the Confederate Armies carried the Confederate Flag (not flag all the hub bub is about), into battle, but there was confusion as to 1) it's similarities to the Union's Flag (Stars and Stripes), and 2) the large white field on the flag got it mistaken for a surrender flag. Thus the Battle Flag was born.

I understand taking the Battle Flag down. Not so much the other flags. Those are a part of the history of the nation.

Post edited as I am falling into what I feared would happen.

Thread is about Bill Cosby, not the Confederate flag.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the "current incarnation" was created shortly after the war started. From what I've read, the Confederate Armies carried the Confederate Flag (not flag all the hub bub is about), into battle, but there was confusion as to 1) it's similarities to the Union's Flag (Stars and Stripes), and 2) the large white field on the flag got it mistaken for a surrender flag. Thus the Battle Flag was born.

I understand taking the Battle Flag down. Not so much the other flags. Those are a part of the history of the nation.

Actually, you are quite close, except the "battle flag" was a square piece of cloth , not rectangular that came into existence after the "stars and bars". here are the official flags of the confederate.
confederate-flags-jpg.231836

And you are absolutely correct as for the "large white field" being mistaken for surrender, which is why they created the "blood stained banner" which was the one displayed at Disney, NOT the "rebel flag" that people fly these days.

^ Thank you for the clarification. I saw that graphic awhile back, and it's refreshed my memory.

As for Cosby, the bust removal is fine by me. That whole area is kind of silly anyway. :P

Can we please keep this on topic and leave the flag debate to the other thread?

Personally I'm tired of the flag stuff and staying out of it.

Hey folks? :offtopic:

I need you guys to bring this conversation back to the original topic of the Bill Cosby situation.

There is another thread here http://www.disboards.com/threads/flag-removal.3427286/#post-54010245 taking place about the flag if you'd like to join that discussion.

Thanks!

No.... thank YOU :). And I love the logo.... "Give me coffee and no one gets hurt" :).

ALL of this - flag, busts, perhaps one day signs.... All I have to say is that I'm glad I am not the WDW Political Officer. EVERY business, these days, has one... but NEVER with that title. It's a job where decisions are made that are guaranteed to offend SOMEONE in an attempt to offend FEWER.

I see that censorship runs rampant here and elsewhere.

That aside, I don't think that this was a poor decision. Disney will do what is best for their business and this was definitely best. Disney will never be the company that does something out of defiance. It just wouldn't make sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter