Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2024 Edition

Super excited. However, can they change the name of the movie?

Yeah, I don't love it either. Honestly, what's with all the Star Wars Shows just being named after a character? I mean, okay, in the case of Kenobi, maybe since people know the name, but Andor? Even Ahsoka, while people know her name, the show wasn't only about her. Evan the movie Solo - it's just not an exciting name.

YouTube Disney is big money for the top channels. They book rooms at WDW all the time. Why not? Can claim it as a work expense. I wish I could do that!

ETA: I should have said YouTube and the big bloggers.

Yeah, I’ve been wondering if DFB and Allears are making much money from YouTube and how they justify such big teams, never mind travel expenses to Hong Kong and the like. I love their content (the hide and seek in DW video last week was Epic!), but their viewership numbers are really low.

Yeah, I’ve been wondering if DFB and Allears are making much money from YouTube and how they justify such big teams, never mind travel expenses to Hong Kong and the like. I love their content (the hide and seek in DW video last week was Epic!), but their viewership numbers are really low.
Disney Food Blog has low viewership? I thought they were among the top but I don't follow too closely. Maybe they have a lot of subscribers?

They don't only get money form YouTube, it's also from ad revenue on their websites/blogs and from travel agent sponsors.

Disney Food Blog has low viewership? I thought they were among the top but I don't follow too closely. Maybe they have a lot of subscribers?

They don't only get money form YouTube, it's also from ad revenue on their websites/blogs and from travel agent sponsors.

For DBF, viewership is maybe in the medium range for what I'm accustomed to seeing but not that bad. AllEars is struggling more as far as I can tell (and seems to have higher expenses I think?)

Update on Genie+ Functionality with Park Hopping
Following up on our report this morning where guests were reportedly facing issues with the Disney Genie+ system as it relates to Park Hopping, we have an update from Disney on what’s going on, and how you can ensure you don’t run into unexpected problems.

First, a quick refresher on the reported issues that guests were running into. Guests were reporting issues making Genie+ Lightning Lane selections for any theme park that was not their primary park for the day. For example, if you had a Park Pass reservation to Magic Kingdom, the initial thought was that an app issue was preventing guests from making a selection at Hollywood Studios until 2pm. As it turns out, it’s not an app issue at all – it’s actually the app functioning as expected. Here’s what we learned.

For guests that are still required to make Disney Park Pass theme park reservations (Annual Passholders and non-dated tickets), there will be a restriction on when you can book Lightning Lane reservations for any theme park that is not the primary park you have a theme park reservation for. Put more simply, you can only make a Genie+ selection for an attraction within a theme park that you’re eligible to visit at the exact moment of the attempted Genie+ booking. As per the current rules, guests are only eligible for Park Hopping (and thus Genie+ selections at a second park) once they have tapped into their first theme park when a park pass is required for their ticket type:

Guests with a ticket with Park Hopper benefits or an Annual Pass will be able to visit another theme park at any time of day during park hours, after entering their first park (subject to capacity limitations).
Disney World Park Hopping webpage

What was happening this morning is that guests were trying to book Genie+ selections for a second park before tapping into their first park. Guests were not able to make Genie+ selections because they were not eligible for Park Hopping at that exact moment per the rules above.

Here’s how the Disney Genie+ system determines theme park eligibility for Lightning Lane selections:
  • If your ticket type is not required to have a Disney Park Pass theme park reservation that day, you can book any attraction you’d like at any theme park at any time. That means that guests with date-specific tickets and Passholders on a “Good-to-Go” Day are eligible for all Genie+ selections at all theme parks at any time of day.
  • If your ticket type requires a theme park reservation, you will have to physically tap into the theme park where you made a Disney Park Pass reservation to unlock Genie+ selections at theme parks other than your reserved theme park. This would apply to non-date-based tickets and Annual Passholders on non-“Good-to-Go” days.
It might be more helpful to understand this as an example of when you might face a problem (as the system works today). Let’s say that you’re an Annual Passholder and want to pop into Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie for breakfast before heading to Disney’s Hollywood Studios later that same morning. On this particular day, you are required to make a Disney Park Pass reservation. You make an EPCOT reservation because you’ll start your day there before hopping over to Hollywood Studios from the nearby Disney Skyliner at around 10am. With the new all-day Park Hopping, this is now possible. In this scenario (a day when your ticket type is required to make a park reservation), you will not be able to start making Disney Genie+ selections for Hollywood Studios until you physically tap into EPCOT. You will, however, be eligible to make Genie+ selections for EPCOT starting at 7am because EPCOT is the park that you are eligible for thanks to the Disney Park Pass reservation. Once you tap into EPCOT, all four theme parks then are eligible for Genie+ selections per the rule about park hopping listed earlier in this article.

Of course, if you have a date-based ticket or it’s a “Good-to-Go” Day for your Annual Pass, none of this applies because you’re eligible for all four Walt Disney World theme parks that day instead of just the declared theme park on a Park Pass day.

Update on Genie+ Functionality with Park Hopping
Following up on our report this morning where guests were reportedly facing issues with the Disney Genie+ system as it relates to Park Hopping, we have an update from Disney on what’s going on, and how you can ensure you don’t run into unexpected problems.

First, a quick refresher on the reported issues that guests were running into. Guests were reporting issues making Genie+ Lightning Lane selections for any theme park that was not their primary park for the day. For example, if you had a Park Pass reservation to Magic Kingdom, the initial thought was that an app issue was preventing guests from making a selection at Hollywood Studios until 2pm. As it turns out, it’s not an app issue at all – it’s actually the app functioning as expected. Here’s what we learned.

For guests that are still required to make Disney Park Pass theme park reservations (Annual Passholders and non-dated tickets), there will be a restriction on when you can book Lightning Lane reservations for any theme park that is not the primary park you have a theme park reservation for. Put more simply, you can only make a Genie+ selection for an attraction within a theme park that you’re eligible to visit at the exact moment of the attempted Genie+ booking. As per the current rules, guests are only eligible for Park Hopping (and thus Genie+ selections at a second park) once they have tapped into their first theme park when a park pass is required for their ticket type:

What was happening this morning is that guests were trying to book Genie+ selections for a second park before tapping into their first park. Guests were not able to make Genie+ selections because they were not eligible for Park Hopping at that exact moment per the rules above.

Here’s how the Disney Genie+ system determines theme park eligibility for Lightning Lane selections:
  • If your ticket type is not required to have a Disney Park Pass theme park reservation that day, you can book any attraction you’d like at any theme park at any time. That means that guests with date-specific tickets and Passholders on a “Good-to-Go” Day are eligible for all Genie+ selections at all theme parks at any time of day.
  • If your ticket type requires a theme park reservation, you will have to physically tap into the theme park where you made a Disney Park Pass reservation to unlock Genie+ selections at theme parks other than your reserved theme park. This would apply to non-date-based tickets and Annual Passholders on non-“Good-to-Go” days.
It might be more helpful to understand this as an example of when you might face a problem (as the system works today). Let’s say that you’re an Annual Passholder and want to pop into Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie for breakfast before heading to Disney’s Hollywood Studios later that same morning. On this particular day, you are required to make a Disney Park Pass reservation. You make an EPCOT reservation because you’ll start your day there before hopping over to Hollywood Studios from the nearby Disney Skyliner at around 10am. With the new all-day Park Hopping, this is now possible. In this scenario (a day when your ticket type is required to make a park reservation), you will not be able to start making Disney Genie+ selections for Hollywood Studios until you physically tap into EPCOT. You will, however, be eligible to make Genie+ selections for EPCOT starting at 7am because EPCOT is the park that you are eligible for thanks to the Disney Park Pass reservation. Once you tap into EPCOT, all four theme parks then are eligible for Genie+ selections per the rule about park hopping listed earlier in this article.

Of course, if you have a date-based ticket or it’s a “Good-to-Go” Day for your Annual Pass, none of this applies because you’re eligible for all four Walt Disney World theme parks that day instead of just the declared theme park on a Park Pass day.
Well, that’s irritating for those of us still stuck with park reservations

I also want to add, that I understand limiting APs' access to LLs and ILLS to some extent. If I were local and just wanted to pop over to the park in the afternoon or evening, I don't think it would be fair for me to be able to book a few rides starting after I intend to get there, taking them from onsite guests. But, if I'm paying to stay onsite...to have a Disney vacation, I don't understand these restrictions.

I think this could become especially tough when I take a trip with my best friend and her daughters later this year. I'll have an AP but they won't, but we'll all be staying onsite at the same hotel. That will make planning a bit more frustrating. I can see it deterring people from renewing passes and maybe that's what they want. But I also know that If I don't have my AP, I won't be booking as many trips out here either.

I digress...but, basically, I'm not a fan of these restrictions when APs have onsite bookings. Maybe surveys will come out and we can express this. It's early days for this new (old) system.

I also want to add, that I understand limiting APs' access to LLs and ILLS to some extent. If I were local and just wanted to pop over to the park in the afternoon or evening, I don't think it would be fair for me to be able to book a few rides starting after I intend to get there, taking them from onsite guests. But, if I'm paying to stay onsite...to have a Disney vacation, I don't understand these restrictions.

I think this could become especially tough when I take a trip with my best friend and her daughters later this year. I'll have an AP but they won't, but we'll all be staying onsite at the same hotel. That will make planning a bit more frustrating. I can see it deterring people from renewing passes and maybe that's what they want. But I also know that If I don't have my AP, I won't be booking as many trips out here either.

I digress...but, basically, I'm not a fan of these restrictions when APs have onsite bookings. Maybe surveys will come out and we can express this. It's early days for this new (old) system.
APs can still book LL and ILL at whatever park they have reserved, even before they’ve tapped in, they just can’t book at other parks until they’ve tapped into the first one, so in your case, you mostly shouldn’t have a problem booking with the rest of your party

Genie+ Still Using 2:00 deadline for Booking LL when Park Hopping

It’s a BIG DAY for Disney World fans!! 🎉

Cinderella Castle in Magic Kingdom

LOTS of things are changing in Disney World today! The Disney Dining Plan is BACK. Park Pass reservation requirements are GONE for most guests. AND you can now park hop ALL DAY long — no more waiting until 2PM! Of course we’re in the parks all day today — covering all the changes, and well, first thing this morning we spotted a snag.

As you probably assume since we’re at Disney World 365 days a year, the DFB Team are annual passholders. And while that does mean we still have to make park pass reservations even after the rule changes today — we do get to take advantage of all-day park hopping!

We bought Disney Genie+ — Disney World’s paid “skip-the-line” service — early this morning, and when 7AM came, we were ready to book a Lightning Lane. Our reporter was starting the day in Animal Kingdom with Early Theme Park Entry at 7:30AM, and they planned to hop over to Disney’s Hollywood Studios right when it opens at 9AM to ride Slinky Dog Dash as early as possible!

Slinky Dog Dash

However, Disney Genie+ seems to still have the old 2PM park hopping rules applied, because it wouldn’t let us book a Lightning Lane in a different park than the one on our reservation until AFTER 2PM.

My Disney Experience app

Next. we tried to book an Individual Lightning Lane (where you pay extra to ride at a certain time) for Rise of the Resistance. And … the same thing happened. Even though the new rules allow us to park hop anytime, we couldn’t choose an Individual Lightning Lane time until after 2PM.

We decided to have another reporter try with the same result — no Lightning Lanes could be booked until after 2PM. We checked for an app update, but none was available, and we uninstalled and re-installed the app on our phones — just to be sure.

Rise of the Resistance

We’re no stranger to glitches in the Disney World app, and to be honest, we expected we may encounter a tech problem or two today with so many things changing at once. Hopefully this can be fixed soon! We’re in the parks all day today testing out all the new rules, and we’ll keep you posted. Keep following us for much more!

I booked an LL for Toy Story Mania for 12:10-1:10 from the MK around 11:30am. I’m an AP.

Edit: I just saw the tapping in part, and I was def already tapped into my reserved park.

Couldn't agree more. They have made this super complicated now for those with APs and other tickets that need park reservations.
110%!

We've not yet used Genie + since I already felt it makes things more complicated than it needs to be. I was debating trying it in December, but since we were at Epcot, it seemed like a waste of $.

This just makes it worse, lol. I'm even less inclined to buy it now. We use military tickets so will need park reservations.

110%!

We've not yet used Genie + since I already felt it makes things more complicated than it needs to be. I was debating trying it in December, but since we were at Epcot, it seemed like a waste of $.

This just makes it worse, lol. I'm even less inclined to buy it now. We use military tickets so will need park reservations.
That is so dumb - they should have included the military tickets as ones that don't need reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter