Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Wow, I wouldn't have thought they would just close it up outright. I thought they would probably pivot to shorter experiences or other alternate use. They didn't even try that! That's pretty shocking really after all the investment. I wonder what the impetus is for all this?

Wow, I wouldn't have thought they would just close it up outright. I thought they would probably pivot to shorter experiences or other alternate use. They didn't even try that! That's pretty shocking really after all the investment. I wonder what the impetus is for all this?
Iger’s recent comments in the escalating battle with FL Gov. DeSantis is the first thing that came to my mind. Paraphrasing here, but something along the lines of “considering where we will invest in parks in the future.”

That said, I agree with your comment. Surprised to see it close altogether.

Iger’s recent comments in the escalating battle with FL Gov. DeSantis is the first thing that came to my mind. Paraphrasing here, but something along the lines of “considering where we will invest in parks in the future.”

That said, I agree with your comment. Surprised to see it close altogether.
I don't see closing this as having to do much with the Florida legal battle. It's a sunk cost at this point. I think it had everything to do with it being a drain that wasn't at capacity and cost too much to continue doing as the returns kept decreasing. Just amazed at how much was wasted in capital and talent. Hoping the cast members get taken care of.

I was never going to spend the money to go to it but I appreciated Disney trying something unique. I wish there was a way to work it into the parks but it's too big to be just a specialty attraction or dining experience. I wonder what it gets folded into. Or will it sit there stuck in time like the hotel that was supposed to open near All Star?

I'm reading the Galactic announcement as closing the 2-night 'voyage' that cost about $7000 for a family of four.

I assume it will convert to a Star Wars hotel with or without added meals or experiences?

There's no way they are re-theming the whole thing, right?
What would they retheme it to that would be OK to have a hotel without windows?

I'm reading the Galactic announcement as closing the 2-night 'voyage' that cost about $7000 for a family of four.

I assume it will convert to a Star Wars hotel with or without added meals or experiences?

That is true, they actually don't say that there aren't future plans for it, just no more voyages. Still, I'd think they would save more face if they could announce it all at once.

I don’t know how they could retheme the whole thing without major construction, since the rooms are not standard hotel rooms, so a themed hotel is probably a good bet

I don't see closing this as having to do much with the Florida legal battle. It's a sunk cost at this point. I think it had everything to do with it being a drain that wasn't at capacity and cost too much to continue doing as the returns kept decreasing. Just amazed at how much was wasted in capital and talent. Hoping the cast members get taken care of.

I was never going to spend the money to go to it but I appreciated Disney trying something unique. I wish there was a way to work it into the parks but it's too big to be just a specialty attraction or dining experience. I wonder what it gets folded into. Or will it sit there stuck in time like the hotel that was supposed to open near All Star?
You're definitely right. I was just lumping it in with the news of the cancelled relocation of Imagineering to FL as well. But I agree--I'm sure they had all the data they needed regardless of current political climate.

I don’t know how they could retheme the whole thing without major construction, since the rooms are not standard hotel rooms, so a themed hotel is probably a good bet

The one issue with changing to just a hotel though is the exterior. They will really need to do some work in that regard. Maybe they could though. I guess we'll see.

All they have to do is make it affordable for a solo stay and I’ll be there on my next trip! I love all the space food and drinks at Galaxy’s Edge and I’ve always wanted to see whatever skit they had with Rey and Kylo Ren at the dinner party.

All they have to do is make it affordable for a solo stay and I’ll be there on my next trip! I love all the space food and drinks at Galaxy’s Edge and I’ve always wanted to see whatever skit they had with Rey and Kylo Ren at the dinner party.

That was another thing. Not for nothing, but a LOT of Star Wars fans would... *ahem* ...probably go solo. I mean, I am one, so, I know what I'm talking about. I don't know whether to 😆 or 😢 about that one. 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter