Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Your last sentence is so true. I was talking to my coworkers about vacations the other day and one of the higher ups wants to take her daughters to WDW. She had not been since the early 90s and knows nothing about any of the Genie+, ILL and VQ stuff. I know all vacations take some bit of planning but this is a turn off for a lot of people.

Yes, and when they come home from their very expensive and very complicated "fun day" they are not going to give kind word of mouth to their other coworkers. I guess it hasn't happened yet, but I have to believe there is a certain point where squeezing an extra $30 out of someone is no longer worth turning off new guests from booking a trip at all.

In regards to being able to upgrade from a single park to a multi-park Genie+ according to this article:

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/new...enie-plus-per-park-pricing-walt-disney-world/

• Asked if guests who purchased the service for one park could upgrade to a multi-park option after the fact, a Walt Disney World spokesperson informed us that guests could purchase Genie+ for the additional park and visit Guest Services to be refunded the difference between the combined total and the Multi-Park price.
🙄🙄🙄

In regards to being able to upgrade from a single park to a multi-park Genie+ according to this article:

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/new...enie-plus-per-park-pricing-walt-disney-world/

• Asked if guests who purchased the service for one park could upgrade to a multi-park option after the fact, a Walt Disney World spokesperson informed us that guests could purchase Genie+ for the additional park and visit Guest Services to be refunded the difference between the combined total and the Multi-Park price.
🙄🙄🙄
This company makes it so difficult to give them your money. It's fascinating.

I don't know if it really makes it more complicated, but it definitely makes it more expensive for most people.

ETA: Upon further review, it does add complexity.

What if you don't plan on hopping and you have an AP? You buy Genie + for AK. At 2 you change your mind and want to hop, is there a way to pay a little more and upgrade your Genie + now?
I would guess if you try to use it to book at a second park it would give you the option to upgrade to the higher cost, multi park option. But, that's just a guess.

I wonder if we will be able to buy for the 2nd park we visit only? If I do early entry into AK and get done what I want but am going to Epcot in the evening, can I just buy for Epcot even though my park reservation will show for AK?
I believe you can do this as the screen shows you can choose which park you want it for. It does not appear to be linked to park reservations, especially as the 4 park/4 day tickets do not require reservations.

If you one want it for one park, be it your first or second park, select that one.

I don't know if it really makes it more complicated, but it definitely makes it more expensive for most people.

ETA: Upon further review, it does add complexity.

What if you don't plan on hopping and you have an AP? You buy Genie + for AK. At 2 you change your mind and want to hop, is there a way to pay a little more and upgrade your Genie + now?

🙄🙄🙄

So, basically, you end up paying for both parks. No discount. Unless you are willing to wait it out at GS to get the refund. Ugh!

EDIT: I guess we would probably just end up paying the multiple park, unless we absolutely knew we wouldn't be park hopping.

It impacts us directly. We usually have a solid morning plan and a fluid evening plan. Now for our August trip, we have to KNOW if we will want genie for the evening somewhere by 7am

🙄🙄🙄
If you think you may need more than one park I’d honestly try to get it closer to midnight vs 7am especially on weekends as when a single park sells out multi day will also sell out so let’s say it’s a weekend in September peak F&W season popular headliner at eat to the beat and Epcot G+ sells out at 8am multi park would also sell out HOWEVER MK/DAK/DHS individual G+ could still be available

Also here are the price points for the 27th
$27 all parks or just magic
$25 DHS
$18 Epcot
$ DAK

🙄🙄🙄
This is absolutely ridiculous. Guest services lines are usually longer than anything else in the park. I love Disney (obsessed really), but even as a self-proclaimed WDW vacation planning expert, I'm starting to find it all way too complicated. I feel so badly for people who have never been before and have no clue what they are doing. How is this even fun anymore?

If I looked at everything that you have to do to get the things you want (booking ADRs 60 days out and utilizing the 10 day rule to book the more difficult ones towards the end of that window, the rules around when you can buy Genie+ & make bookings, VQs, parking hopping at 2, etc...)...And then I looked at Universal planning? I'd be like "We're just doing Universal, this is supposed to be a vacation".

I kind of wish they would just charge a large flat rate for Genie+ (similar to the charges for Express at Universal). Sure, less people would buy them, but then they would probably work better and you'd be able to use it on 10 rides a day instead of 3.

The only way I can see any benefit to this is if you have a park hopper ticket, you HAVE to buy the Genie+ 4 park add-on. But, if you have a single park ticket, then you can get a discounted Genie+ for just that one park that day. That makes sense to me since some parks are better for it than others. But even typing that sentence out was confusing me.

Blue tents will just need to be Blue Buildings... as the issues aren't going to die down as the kinks get worked out and guest get use to the complexities. Because they are going to keep tweaking the system and making it more costly.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Guest services lines are usually longer than anything else in the park. I love Disney (obsessed really), but even as a self-proclaimed WDW vacation planning expert, I'm starting to find it all way too complicated. I feel so badly for people who have never been before and have no clue what they are doing. How is this even fun anymore?

If I looked at everything that you have to do to get the things you want (booking ADRs 60 days out and utilizing the 10 day rule to book the more difficult ones towards the end of that window, the rules around when you can buy Genie+ & make bookings, VQs, parking hopping at 2, etc...)...And then I looked at Universal planning? I'd be like "We're just doing Universal, this is supposed to be a vacation".

I kind of wish they would just charge a large flat rate for Genie+ (similar to the charges for Express at Universal). Sure, less people would buy them, but then they would probably work better and you'd be able to use it on 10 rides a day instead of 3.

The only way I can see any benefit to this is if you have a park hopper ticket, you HAVE to buy the Genie+ 4 park add-on. But, if you have a single park ticket, then you can get a discounted Genie+ for just that one park that day. That makes sense to me since some parks are better for it than others. But even typing that sentence out was confusing me.
I see a lot of the comparisons to planning for Universal (or lack thereof) and seriously wonder if my Universal experiences have just been bad luck. Every time I have been to Universal, it has been a nightmare trying to do anything. Granted, I don't have to plan anything in advance but that means I have to wait in bonkers lines for rides and even food a lot of the time. The only time I have felt relaxed and enjoyed Universal was during HHN when the park was less crowded. Do I just have bad Universal luck?

I personally feel relieved being able to do the planning ahead of my vacation and knowing when I get there I can hop in a LL to enjoy a ride in a reasonable amount of time. I also don't mind waking up early, grabbing some coffee and making a couple of reservations on the app but I understand not all folks are morning people. I will also fully admit I get that little videogame dopamine rush when I snag something hard to get.

I see a lot of the comparisons to planning for Universal (or lack thereof) and seriously wonder if my Universal experiences have just been bad luck. Every time I have been to Universal, it has been a nightmare trying to do anything. Granted, I don't have to plan anything in advance but that means I have to wait in bonkers lines for rides and even food a lot of the time. The only time I have felt relaxed and enjoyed Universal was during HHN when the park was less crowded. Do I just have bad Universal luck?

I personally feel relieved being able to do the planning ahead of my vacation and knowing when I get there I can hop in a LL to enjoy a ride in a reasonable amount of time. I also don't mind waking up early, grabbing some coffee and making a couple of reservations on the app but I understand not all folks are morning people. I will also fully admit I get that little videogame dopamine rush when I snag something hard to get.

Yeah, while Universal is no doubt less complex, it also has challenges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter