Disney gift cards at Target

I have been buying gift cards with my red card all year, and I am anxiously waiting for my pharmacy 5% card to come, so that I can pay off my June trip. The woman at the customer service desk today, however, told me that I would not save anything off gift cards with my red card. It seems like i have been saving all year. Does anyone know if this is true? I plan to purchase $1700 worth of cards once my coupon arrives.

I have been buying gift cards with my red card all year, and I am anxiously waiting for my pharmacy 5% card to come, so that I can pay off my June trip. The woman at the customer service desk today, however, told me that I would not save anything off gift cards with my red card. It seems like i have been saving all year. Does anyone know if this is true? I plan to purchase $1700 worth of cards once my coupon arrives.

Just ring it up and let them be surprised when the discount comes off. It always does. Including stacking it with the 5% prescription discount. My friend just purchased $2000 in gc and the cashier argued with her that it wouldn't work. But low and behold total was $1900, $100 saved!

Thank you!~!! I am crossing my fingers that the coupon comes before the giftcards all run out. I cannot wait to get $1700 in gift cards for $1534.25.

I once was being checking out and the cashier (who I've gone through before) was having no problems ringing up my Disney GC's and then applying payment with a combination of Target GC's and my RedCard. Another cashier walked by and said "oh you can't buy gift cards with gift cards". I politely replied that Disney cards are actually merchandise cards and I've never had a problem. Even the cashier who was checking me out looked at her and said, "yeah just look it's ringing up fine and her Red Card discount is applying too". She just walked off and a minute later I saw her talking with a manager and pointing at where I was. Having just finished I just walked out without issue. Seems not everyone at Target is up on this. One thing I always do though is include at least two other non-GC items in my order. Milk, cereal or something else I need. If I plan to buy a lot of GC I coordinate it with my big shopping trip. Not sure it if matters but I think it helps from making people suspicious:cool2: because obviously I can use the Red Card/target gc for all the other items and the Disney GC just get rung up and paid for with the rest.

I once was being checking out and the cashier (who I've gone through before) was having no problems ringing up my Disney GC's and then applying payment with a combination of Target GC's and my RedCard. Another cashier walked by and said "oh you can't buy gift cards with gift cards". I politely replied that Disney cards are actually merchandise cards and I've never had a problem. Even the cashier who was checking me out looked at her and said, "yeah just look it's ringing up fine and her Red Card discount is applying too". She just walked off and a minute later I saw her talking with a manager and pointing at where I was. Having just finished I just walked out without issue. Seems not everyone at Target is up on this. One thing I always do though is include at least two other non-GC items in my order. Milk, cereal or something else I need. If I plan to buy a lot of GC I coordinate it with my big shopping trip. Not sure it if matters but I think it helps from making people suspicious:cool2: because obviously I can use the Red Card/target gc for all the other items and the Disney GC just get rung up and paid for with the rest.
I was just going to post this same thing - as long as I check out with a few other items, they don't even seem to notice, and then they don't get all hot and bothered!

Thank you, everyone. I can never go to Target and not spend a fortune. I wonder why the staff is so convinced that it won't work. Anyone know how long until the pharmacy discount arrives? I filled my fifth script last week.

My sister got her 5% pharmacy coupon a little over a week after her last refill. We went together and bought groceries and other items and I got $1500 in Disney cards and just handed the 5% off coupon with the other coupons, then my red card and no issues at all. The cashier didn't say anything at all either. I actually ended up going back again after dinner and got a few other items, but not many, and $300 more and the cashier made a comment this time that she was surprised it came off the gift cards and I just said yep! :cool1:

Heather

I even used it for a Southwest gift card yesterday! I wasn't sure it would work, as they are labeled differently, but sure enough! Got my 5% plus my pharmacy rewards!

I went in to get southwest cards today, and they told me that they didn't carry them. I need a new Target.

Well they often tell people they don't carry Disney cards either. I don't know about Southwest, but did you look back in the electronics section where the Disney cards are?

I will tell you something about Target "managers." Just because they are managers, does not make them pros.

First, I have been a cashier at Target for 5 years. In that time, I have outlasted many, many managers. Managers are hired straight out of college, with little to no Target experience. It's not like you imagine; that it was someone who worked up the ranks at Target. Management comes from the outside. So don't ever count on a "manager" to know the ins and outs.

2. when you ask to "speak to a manager" you get the "Leader on Duty." It isn't exactly the Manager of cashiers. It could be the manager of softlines, the manager of food, the manager of electronics. Yeah, they will "act" like they know what they are doing, but there are managers acting as "Leader on Duty" who hardly know how to run a cash register, much less know every vague, complicated coupon/discount issue. They will just BS their way through.

3. It doesn't matter if you buy extra groceries or whatever with your gift cards. The computer automatically adjusts the price.

4. Target Debit Cards are a little squirly about making a large transaction outside the norm. There's no rhyme or reason as far as the cashier can tell. I will tell you, I have owned a Target Credit card for 10 years and have never had this issue. As long as you stay in your credit limit that is. I know people are anti credit, but I would use a Target Credit card, and if you didn't want to wait for the bill, go to guest service before you leave the store to pay it off.

5. Front end managers, cashiers, Leader on Duty, may be "empowered" to give you the 5% discount if your Target card doesn't go through. This doesn't mean they *must* do it for you though. Just that they have the ability to choose. So remember to be nice. You catch more flies with honey. If you go in all huffy puffy rude, they may not choose to help you out. No one has to offer 5% when your red card doesn't work. And corporate WILL back them up, as not giving you the discount is not "wrong".

I think basically, go in, be nice and hope for the best. And if it doesn't work, go back later. Personally, I love the idea of getting the gift cards at target.com. You will get the 5% off, be able to use pharmacy rewards, get free shipping, know if your card went through, and no human hassle.

Hope that helped some!

descovy said:
I will tell you something about Target "managers." Just because they are managers, does not make them pros.

First, I have been a cashier at Target for 5 years. In that time, I have outlasted many, many managers. Managers are hired straight out of college, with little to no Target experience. It's not like you imagine; that it was someone who worked up the ranks at Target. Management comes from the outside. So don't ever count on a "manager" to know the ins and outs.

2. when you ask to "speak to a manager" you get the "Leader on Duty." It isn't exactly the Manager of cashiers. It could be the manager of softlines, the manager of food, the manager of electronics. Yeah, they will "act" like they know what they are doing, but there are managers acting as "Leader on Duty" who hardly know how to run a cash register, much less know every vague, complicated coupon/discount issue. They will just BS their way through.

3. It doesn't matter if you buy extra groceries or whatever with your gift cards. The computer automatically adjusts the price.

4. Target Debit Cards are a little squirly about making a large transaction outside the norm. There's no rhyme or reason as far as the cashier can tell. I will tell you, I have owned a Target Credit card for 10 years and have never had this issue. As long as you stay in your credit limit that is. I know people are anti credit, but I would use a Target Credit card, and if you didn't want to wait for the bill, go to guest service before you leave the store to pay it off.

5. Front end managers, cashiers, Leader on Duty, may be "empowered" to give you the 5% discount if your Target card doesn't go through. This doesn't mean they *must* do it for you though. Just that they have the ability to choose. So remember to be nice. You catch more flies with honey. If you go in all huffy puffy rude, they may not choose to help you out. No one has to offer 5% when your red card doesn't work. And corporate WILL back them up, as not giving you the discount is not "wrong".

I think basically, go in, be nice and hope for the best. And if it doesn't work, go back later. Personally, I love the idea of getting the gift cards at target.com. You will get the 5% off, be able to use pharmacy rewards, get free shipping, know if your card went through, and no human hassle.

Hope that helped some!
Descovy,
Would you happen to know how to apply the % off coupons like pharm rewards or registry coupons to an online purchase?

Descovy,
Would you happen to know how to apply the % off coupons like pharm rewards or registry coupons to an online purchase?

Most register coupons (like Catalinas) have to be used in store. (Unless it prints with an online coupon code)

However, Pharmacy Rewards have a online coupon code printed on the card. Pharmacy rewards can be used over and over for an entire day. For example, you can shop at 2 targets in town with it, and again online when you get home. (same day)

descovy said:
Most register coupons (like Catalinas) have to be used in store. (Unless it prints with an online coupon code)

However, Pharmacy Rewards have a online coupon code printed on the card. Pharmacy rewards can be used over and over for an entire day. For example, you can shop at 2 targets in town with it, and again online when you get home. (same day)

Ok, thanks. :)

Excellent post descovy. My DH is (well I won't say exactly what to make sure no one could figure out who he is by my location) a very specialized type of Team Lead within the store. When he works weekends, sometimes he might have to handle register issues for the cashiers. He wouldn't know much about that at all except that he's a bit of a geek and makes it a point to learn about the different areas in the store. Most of the leads probably aren't this way. And some of the leads and managers will totally bluff and try to act like they know everything when they don't. I showed him your post and he said "sounds about right".

I went in to get southwest cards today, and they told me that they didn't carry them. I need a new Target.

Ooooohhhhh:yay: I didn't realize they had these.... I must buy! I just checked online and unlike the Disney gc you can purchase them online, so buy away!

I take it back... Pharmacy rewards no longer have an online code... They can only be used in store only.

You can still use it multiple times and multiple stores on the same day.

4. Target Debit Cards are a little squirly about making a large transaction outside the norm. There's no rhyme or reason as far as the cashier can tell. I will tell you, I have owned a Target Credit card for 10 years and have never had this issue. As long as you stay in your credit limit that is. I know people are anti credit, but I would use a Target Credit card, and if you didn't want to wait for the bill, go to guest service before you leave the store to pay it off. 5. Front end managers, cashiers, Leader on Duty, may be "empowered" to give you the 5% discount if your Target card doesn't go through. This doesn't mean they *must* do it for you though. Just that they have the ability to choose. So remember to be nice. You catch more flies with honey. If you go in all huffy puffy rude, they may not choose to help you out. No one has to offer 5% when your red card doesn't work. And corporate WILL back them up, as not giving you the discount is not "wrong".

Hope that helped some!

I just posted my "insane" experience last night on another thread and can tell you that I am absolutely, without a doubt, going to get rid of my Red Debit card and open the Red Credit Card instead & do exactly as you said, pay it off even before I leave the store. The whole debit card is nothing but a hassle. They can't tell you your limit, you get different answers from different representatives and while one of them will tell you it goes by your spending history, another will tell you that it's completely a random process - just ridiculous! No more debit card for me!

I take it back... Pharmacy rewards no longer have an online code... They can only be used in store only.

You can still use it multiple times and multiple stores on the same day.

I have three pharmacy rewards certificates that I've gotten within the last week or two from the double April rewards. They all have the online codes in them. Did this just start?

Do you know if you can use more than one rewards certificate on the same shopping trip? I have so many from April. I'll have to go twice a week to use them all!!

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter