Disney Genie announcement

I'm predicting that, at some point, this service becomes available for Deluxe Resort guests for free. I say 'predict' only because Universal has a similar perk to their deluxe resorts with Express Pass, and at this point staying on property (especially deluxe) is becoming so moot it's a little laughable.
Possibly, but I am predicting it would only be offered as an incentive during off season to get you to do Deluxe instead of the 35% off they offer now.

I'm predicting that, at some point, this service becomes available for Deluxe Resort guests for free. I say 'predict' only because Universal has a similar perk to their deluxe resorts with Express Pass, and at this point staying on property (especially deluxe) is becoming so moot it's a little laughable.
I actually hadn't thought of this. I for one was hoping it would be more like express pass but i can totally see it becoming something for DVC first, then deluxe, maybe a modified version for moderate, value etc.

Idk, I wonder if those situations will be balanced out by how many couples are like us, where one person is the crazy type A planner type and the other one is cool with whatever, the “just tell me when to show up” type. My gf is so laid back I could tell her we gotta get up 4am and do the ice bucket challenge to get into a park and she’d be fine as long as she got her dole whip on time

I'm so lucky to have the same kind of relationship with my guy!

He just wants to go to Disney, he doesn't care about whatever plans I make, just happy to be there.

Although if he has his mind set on a certain snack - everyone, just stay out of his way until he gets it. :D

A miserable morning for mom while everyone else is still sleeping. At least this is how it works in this family. I’m the one that spends months out planning and then I get the bad end of the stick While on vacation not being able to relax but instead being our family’s concierge service.

Yep. Although, in our family's case at 7am no one is asleep. We are all up, getting dressed, coffee, breakfast, etc. I'm the one who knows exactly what we're doing, when we have to be out the door, where the toothpaste is (ha) or whatever... So I would really like to focus on that morning chaos within my family. I was good with taking a moment to try for a Boarding Group for ROTR/Ratatouille but this sounds like there will be a whole series of things I'll need to be focusing on via my phone. Sounds like a great way to start the day.

Usually while I am on vacation, I try to spend LESS time checking my phone. I can just see everyone in the parks tripping over each other while staring down at their phones ALL DAY checking availability for everything. I loved having everything planned out before I arrived, I felt better able to relax once I got there. Also I agree that Disney's IT is far from adequate and will definitely have issues with everyone slamming the site at 7:00 AM.

Last edited:
Here are a few of my additional thoughts:
Honestly a little surprised that people are complaining about buying the 2 individual attraction passes plus Genie+ on every park day, especially for long trips. Unless you will be there at an extremely busy time, I can't imagine needing to buy everything on each day of a multiple visit to each park, unless you really wanted to. But again, waiting in some lines is no big deal for me, and that's what we did even with FP+ since I couldn't always get more FPs for the rides I wanted later in the day. I usually have 3 Epcot days and I can't see needing to get Genie+ for all those days as only one or 2 of those days are ride heavy.

If you don't go to the parks early, and you aren't going to buy the add-ons, I don't think you need to get up at 7am to book your fist Genie+. Wouldn't booking at 7am get you an early morning, park opening time slot? If you are more likely to roll in at 10am or later, why not just book when you normally get up? I don't think waking up early would get you the timeslot you were looking for in the first place.
Not really, when they had fast pass, you usally booked it for around an hour or an hour and a half after the park opened, as the lines were short at rope drop. So , at rd do a few rides, then hit your fast passes. If you want the good rides at a certian time, you will need to get up. If you dont care about rides, or lines, you probably will not even spent the 15$ to begin with.

If you are more likely to roll in at 10am or later, why not just book when you normally get up? I don't think waking up early would get you the timeslot you were looking for in the first place.

Depends on how fast the passes for rides go. We'll have to wait and see how many are available throughout the day before can say it's safe to sleep in. Who knows, Big Thunder may be booked through the whole day before 8am....

Possibly, but I am predicting it would only be offered as an incentive during off season to get you to do Deluxe instead of the 35% off they offer now.

I think you are more right than I am, which is the worst part lol. I'd rather get the 35% deal.

I actually hadn't thought of this. I for one was hoping it would be more like express pass but i can totally see it becoming something for DVC first, then deluxe, maybe a modified version for moderate, value etc.

I think your system is probably what they'll do -- DVC, then deluxe, then at most for moderate but none for value.

I really want to withhold my judgement on this until I see the list of attractions in Genie+ and those that are LL. And what the LL price point will be.

Like many others here, I used MaxPass at Disneyland and it worked really well for our family and our touring style.
The Genie+ idea seems to be a re-branded MaxPass and I am fine with that. $15 a day does add up, but perhaps still a manageable upgrade to maximize time in the parks - our family is willing to do this.

But will I even need to use LL beyond that?
If staying deluxe, I will have extra hours at MK and EP (if I time my dates right) ... with those limited crowds, I can likely do all the LL attractions as stand-by without an unreasonable wait time because of the limited access. Don't need LL for MK and EP.

I can wake at 7 and try for a ROTR boarding group - included with my park ticket, no extra change. If I get that BG, I may not need LL for HS ... depends on the list of LL attractions.

I don't see a work-around for Flight of Passage, though. So really AK would be a LL for me, unless i just wanted to do rope drop or end-of-day line mitigation strategies.

So i might just be looking at LL for one, possibly two parks.

Listen ... I totally think these extra charges for so many activities all over, all at once right now is such a bad look for Disney while the world is still in a pandemic. It's just ... a lot.

But it almost feels like Disney wants to rip the band-aid off quickly ... put all the new "upgrade" charges and changes in place at once, so all of our frustration is vented once and not over and over again with each release months apart.

Random but has anyone figured out how this affects dining and other things that require advanced reservations like Savi's? Will we be able to still reserve dining ahead of time?

The more I read replies to this thread the clearer it gets that going to WDW will be more stressful than ever. I don't need to have a stressful vacation.

It feels like going to WDW will be like Black Friday every single second of the day, rushing and pushing and stressing and NO...no way does this sound like fun.

The whole thing creates at atmosphere of competitiveness that doesn't sound healthy at all.

Even for early risers like you, it gives you an advantage on ONE ride. You can only get one at a time. You can't use that one until you are actually in the park. Once you are in the park, you are in the same boat as everyone else. FastPass+ not only gave you an advantage on THREE rides, it allowed you to better plan your day because you knew where you needed to be in advance.

Based on what I just explained, help me understand why this is a good thing for onsite guests.

Actually I think it's a huge advantage for offsite guests. Top tier fastpasses were usually gone by 30 days.

Honestly, this is almost exactly like paper fast passes, obviously now you have to pay though, unfortunately.

It was same thing - if you weren't at the park for rope-drop and to start getting those pieces of paper, you were pretty much shut out by noon. Those were stressful trips. 😂

And oh boy, the outcry that happened when fast pass plus was introduced.

Wow - I can't keep up with reading everything! Lol!
I did want to chime in with one more thing - I'm not averse to change. Really, I'm not. But to COMPLETELY change to a paid tiered system, when it was fully included before, with no transition is what irks me. Also, there is NO benefit for on-site guests in this new system. At least with FP+, onsite guests could book their rides before off-site guests. There seems to be a huge move to NO on-site benefits. Which I find baffling.

We’re DVC so will always be on-site. We have a trip planned for November and based on what I’ve read so far we are more likely to use the 30 minute early opening window some days and the late night hours at MK & Epcot on other days, which are both positive additions for on-site guests in my opinion. While I’m not surprised about this move to paid FP as it’s been coming for a while, and do think the $15 daily price point is reasonable…..the daily 7 AM reservation requirement (in order to get a good time) as well as limiting to one selection at a time are real downsides of Genie + for me. Time will tell as it rolls out I guess!

Last edited:
The biggest question in my family is when this will begin, as we have a Labor Day trip coming up. It’s just hearsay, but on another board someone said they worked for Disney had had training on Genie+ tomorrow/Friday. They predicted a rollout the following Tuesday :scared::scared::scared:
Anyone have any additional news or rumors about the time table?
Well they said Fall, and that is at the earliest Sep 21st. I would expect they do not want to roll it out right before the 50th. I suspect Nov 1st target date.

Well they said Fall, and that is at the earliest Sep 21st. I would expect they do not want to roll it out right before the 50th. I suspect Nov 1st target date.

Boo.

I'd rather have for my October trip if it's going to help with the insanity of the crowds that are predicted...

Random but has anyone figured out how this affects dining and other things that require advanced reservations like Savi's? Will we be able to still reserve dining ahead of time?
Im sure they qill still take advanced reservations for dining, but you could score your pass for a ride on the opposite end of the park for that time. I guess it will then be up to you, at 7 am and maybe not yet caffinated and half way groggy to make a decision for your group. And then inform the familly of your decision. Not my idea of a good time.

While a lot of people have been saying October 1st for the rollout, I can see it happening after that as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter