Disney dining buddy shut down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm tricky business if Disney decides to offer it's own ADR availability service for a fee. Clearly the week that I was trying to book BOG dinner ADR for our trip was not even loaded into the system at 6 months. I think it was about 4 months out that they opened the ADRs and everyone here was reporting that they were all getting DDB notices and suddenly finding ADRs for that week. I remember the same thing happened about 1 1/2 years ago with BOG - they did not load the ADRs into the system until about 10 days later- this was confirmed by many CMs over the 10 day period I was calling and trying to get an ADR. If they are going to go this route (which I guess they might if they are feeling greedy) then they'd better be sure they are not creating their own need for a for fee service.
At first I was very unhappy about having to spend 8$ (I am just old school;) for the one ADR DGrD was the most excited for that I could not book at 180 days. But in the end DDB ended up being a great resource, easy to use and I got many, many notifications of openings until I was able to finally get the best time for us. I just didn't have time this trip to stalk ADRs (and FP+s) - and, honestly, I was just tired of it after the last trip. I'm sorry to see them go.

I don't think Disney will start a fee service for ADRs. That would look really bad.

I think they just got sick of companies profiting off of their ADR system and using their name. And hitting the servers over and over.

There's been quite the deluge this summer of threads on the boards and constant waves of calls going into the Disney Customer Service dept about the inability to book ADRs. So as this wasn't a problem that was going away, Disney gathered their info, found out what was going on and has now proceeded to remedy the issue.

I find it interesting that 1 ceased operations, yet the others are saying they've heard nothing yet. So that leads to the question of.... do these other sites have a little bit more fire power behind them and are trying to enter the legal ring and that's why we're seeing them say that "they haven't been contacted yet"?

Ahhh, I miss the gold old days when you would go to WDW, stand in line to ride what you wanted to ride (sometimes up to and more than a hour) and if you wanted to eat somewhere you went to GS (I loved those little screen ones at Epcot where you talked to the person on them so cute) and said I would like to go to dinner tonight, what is available or tomorrow night or 3 nights from now? They would tell you what was available and you either booked it or didn't. No booking in advance of your trip for anything.

Most teachers aren't in session over the summer.... (Former teacher here, kinda know how it works)
?????

My booking window is next month for our spring break trip. Lucky for me it's on a Sunday. If I'm unable to get everything we want, I will have to keep checking during the week. Checking during school hours isn't an option.

The search sites actually take pressure off Disney's servers. Everyone and every travel agent going back to manically, manually searching and constantly hitting refresh will crash Disney. Again. Remember how bad a few years ago was? Expect more slow downs, more "there's a problem with searching right now", and way longer customer service waits on the phone if everything has to be done manually.

And also, people need to stop thinking that there's tons of selfish people with a billion dining reservations cancelling the night before and rearranging their plans every night of their trip. Oh those hoarders! Well, I don't actually see this happening either here or anywhere on FB. If anything, everywhere seems seriously booked up especially during free dining and at character meals. Disney could easily add more character dining and other restaurant options for everyone. Clearly, there's a need.

People view sit down, table service dining now as an event. The dining is their evening activity. Especially when you add characters. I see more people desperate and unable to book ANY dining they want than people with stuff even to trade. There's not multiple people even in facebook dining groups saying hi, I have a huge amount of dining that I booked because I'm indecisive or I decided I don't want any of these reservations if anyone wants it. Even some groups where people actively trade reservations, there's not much open. The few people who do have several dining reservations they don't need are cancelling their trips. Not hoarding. There's more dining demand than TS options right now and that needs to change.

If only Disney's website & 407-WDW-DINE were 100% reliable when it came to making reservations at the 180 day mark. For those that have played by Disney rules, only to have the website crash & take forever to successful make 1 ADR. Then to call the number and be put on hold for 45min, accidently disconnected by CM, call back, put hold on another hour to be answered that everything you want was gone.

I would grateful pay a deposit on Disney's website to make a reservation no problem.

This happened to me the past two trips. It was incredibly frustrating because you know that by the time the website isup and running, you have lost the ONE you were up and logged in to secure.

Smart words. People who feel like on site stayer should get all these discounts and benefits aren't looking at the big picture down the road and I don't think they are going to like what happens when the train gets to the station.

Sometimes its better to appreciate what you already have. When the "enticements" get to be too many, more people will want them. And when more people get them, they'll be taken away.

I agree. I also think that while onsite guests should be offered some perks, I do not think that allowing such an advantage is a positive thing at all. Perhaps an edge in booking an ADR at the resort they stay at may be acceptable, but even that seems unfair to me. I stay only onsite, but I believe that there needs tobe limits to the advantages resort guests gain.

The search sites actually take pressure off Disney's servers. Everyone and every travel agent going back to manically, manually searching and constantly hitting refresh will crash Disney. Again. Remember how bad a few years ago was? Expect more slow downs, more "there's a problem with searching right now", and way longer customer service waits on the phone if everything has to be done manually.

And also, people need to stop thinking that there's tons of selfish people with a billion dining reservations cancelling the night before and rearranging their plans every night of their trip. Oh those hoarders! Well, I don't actually see this happening either here or anywhere on FB. If anything, everywhere seems seriously booked up especially during free dining and at character meals. Disney could easily add more character dining and other restaurant options for everyone. Clearly, there's a need.

People view sit down, table service dining now as an event. The dining is their evening activity. Especially when you add characters. I see more people desperate and unable to book ANY dining they want than people with stuff even to trade. There's not multiple people even in facebook dining groups saying hi, I have a huge amount of dining that I booked because I'm indecisive or I decided I don't want any of these reservations if anyone wants it. Even some groups where people actively trade reservations, there's not much open. The few people who do have several dining reservations they don't need are cancelling their trips. Not hoarding. There's more dining demand than TS options right now and that needs to change.
Most people aren't going to go on a public forum a post that they are hoarding ADRs. They also aren't going to post how they manage to book several places for one meal or how they avoid the fees when they forget to cancel.

Just because you haven't read about certain things here,Facebook.....doesn't mean they aren't happening

Maybe they should test allowing on site guest to book in advance(after they do something about the throw away room crap) and off site folks to book 24 or 48 hours out.

Hell, if you pay for the dining plan, (regular,deluxe or premium) you should get first crack at ADRs.

I also think those who spring for hopper passes or annual passes should be able to book more than 3 headliner fastpasses a day. Maybe 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening.

Disney should offer major perks to those of us who are willing to stay on site, pay for the dining and purchase fully loaded park passes.

Sounds like everyone is Pot-lucked out. It is evident in the lazy offerings. People are just slapping boxes and bags of stuff on a table that they probably grabbed from the pantry in the morning. I would not participate any longer, or I would just buy a bag of oreos and plunk them on the table and be done.

Maybe they should test allowing on site guest to book in advance(after they do something about the throw away room crap) and off site folks to book 24 or 48 hours out.

Hell, if you pay for the dining plan, (regular,deluxe or premium) you should get first crack at ADRs.

I also think those who spring for hopper passes or annual passes should be able to book more than 3 headliner fastpasses a day. Maybe 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening.

Disney should offer major perks to those of us who are willing to stay on site, pay for the dining and purchase fully loaded park passes.

But they do offer this in a way. If you stay onsite you are given 180 + 10 which is a huge advantage, especially if you have a loner stay. You are given free parking at the parks, EMH, Free transportation to and from the airport, airline baggage check at your resort, the ability to book an earlier FP if you have packages that include tix. I am not suggesting that I would say no to additional perks, but I am pretty pleased that there is a little edge to onsite guests while not totally disenfranchising those who stay offsite.

Disney Dining Buddy helped us a lot to get BOG on our trip. Sad they are shutting it down. Some people just don't have the time to check for open reservations all day and night. I believe one person hit it on the head though. If Disney won't allow people to use this kind of service then they should take wait listed reservations. With all of the technology in the world today there must be way to do this. I wish they would come up with a way to find out about cancelled Fast Passes as well! LOL

Most people aren't going to go on a public forum a post that they are hoarding ADRs. They also aren't going to post how they manage to book several places for one meal or how they avoid the fees when they forget to cancel.

Just because you haven't read about certain things here,Facebook.....doesn't mean they aren't happening

These aren't public pages and are in fact secret and closed groups with hundreds of members all going the same month or over the holidays. A few have very strict no bashing rules and actually someone who releases dining suddenly is very popular and praised so it would encourage anyone to share what they are dropping. The fact is there's just not much that becomes available, and there's hundreds of people searching.

Does it mean no one on the planet is hoarding? No. But the common theme is and my own experiences are there's nothing really popping up unless someone cancels a trip. There's many more looking for dining, and specifically character dining, but there is no availability.

Things do open up when you're there though so we're hopeful.

Does it mean no one on the planet is hoarding? No. But the common theme is and my own experiences are there's nothing really popping up unless someone cancels a trip. There's many more looking for dining, and specifically character dining, but there is no availability.

Things do open up when you're there though so we're hopeful.

I tend to agree with you. I think that in the beginning planning stages folks may overbook their ADR's and as they tweak their plans, or see something open that they prefer, they release the extra. Before FP+ I think that there may have been more hoarding JIC Adr's, but now folks seem to be a little more locked in to their plans.

I just planned an impromptu trip in December, made some dinner ADR's, so I do have a very basic plan in place, but nothing like we generally have, and I feel like I am missing something!

I do think that Mk is lacking restaurants for TS meals, and that makes the monorail resorts even more coveted.

When you're talking about the dining sniping/scalping services, you have to realize that the programs they're running to constantly check the system are sending out queries beyond what you're probably imagining. My husband does lot of automation programming like this for his job and requests are measured in fractional seconds. Not seconds. Not minutes. Fractions of second. Services like DDB are likely sending out more than one query per second because they can write the program that way. Can you search more than once per second? I sure can't and I feel like I'm petty fast. I can come up with four services like this off the top of my head. They're sending multiple queries per second for every reservation request they have. Can you imagine the traffic? It's probably why the general public is having so many darn problems. The sniping/scalping services are eating up the server.

Additionally, if I were Disney, I wouldn't be too happy about someone charging for what I'm giving away for free.

When you're talking about the dining sniping/scalping services, you have to realize that the programs they're running to constantly check the system are sending out queries beyond what you're probably imagining. My husband does lot of automation programming like this for his job and requests are measured in fractional seconds. Not seconds. Not minutes. Fractions of second. Services like DDB are likely sending out more than one query per second because they can write the program that way. Can you search more than once per second? I sure can't and I feel like I'm petty fast. I can come up with four services like this off the top of my head. They're sending multiple queries per second for every reservation request they have. Can you imagine the traffic? It's probably why the general public is having so many darn problems. The sniping/scalping services are eating up the server.

Additionally, if I were Disney, I wouldn't be too happy about someone charging for what I'm giving away for free.

Yep, and that is a reason why their website is so unreliable. I'm forever getting the "unable to check for reservations at this time" message. Even places like Tickemaster have issues when big events are released and thousands of people hammer the system. I, for one, am happy to see this service go. Some people can't check the internet at work, I can't have my cell phone at work. So I think this evens the playing field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter