Disney dining buddy shut down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it's true. This is the message on the front page of their website:

Dear Loyal Customers,

Disney has requested that we discontinue our services as currently provided, and we have honored that request. We understand this may be disappointing to those of you who have found through us a solution to the stresses of dining planning. We share your disappointment.

We appreciate the grateful and positive comments we have received from you. Please know that we have truly enjoyed serving you.

If you have an active request for services from us, you will be receiving an email within the next week that contains information and instructions concerning refunds.

Other dining RSVP websites are still up... (including one I'm using) I wonder for how long...

So was this the one that just identified openings on the Disney site or the one that actually booked them then sold the reservations?

Yeah, I can't imagine they'd shut down the one that only alerted people but let the one stay that actually held ADRs and sold them.

From DDB's facebook page it looks like Disney got confused and thought that's exactly what they were doing.
From Sep. 11
An Orlando Sentinel article ran this week describing a website that books up Disney reservations under false names and then re-sells them. This article was about a different website, and was NOT about Disney Dining Buddy. Apparently some blogs are lumping our service in with the one described in the article. Our service does NOT (and will never) book reservations, or sell reservations, or scalp reservations. We watch for reservations to open up and alert customers so they can book the reservations themselves. Disney Dining Buddy is not in the business of selling reservations -- we are in the business of providing time savings for people who don't have time to obsessively check back for dining reservations.

Looks like it's true. This is the message on the front page of their website:

Dear Loyal Customers,

Disney has requested that we discontinue our services as currently provided, and we have honored that request. We understand this may be disappointing to those of you who have found through us a solution to the stresses of dining planning. We share your disappointment.

We appreciate the grateful and positive comments we have received from you. Please know that we have truly enjoyed serving you.

If you have an active request for services from us, you will be receiving an email within the next week that contains information and instructions concerning refunds.

That translates to "Their lawyers beat up our lawyers"

While I understand there is a difference, all of these "dining services" seem a little too much like the disabled services tour scam that was going on a few years ago. People thinking that their money was greener than mine, and that they somehow deserved to buy their way to better access over the rest of us.

On the other hand, I use a travel agent (that I don't pay and is authorized by Disney), strictly because they will call for me when the discounts come out and adjust my reservation for me. So I guess I don't know where the line is and what goes too far... maybe its the authorized by Disney part. I don't know.

The website for ********.com appears to be down, though they've posted nothing on their Facebook page.

I figured that was coming. I just used them this week and was table to get BOG and CRT for Thanksgiving week. They did not hold or reserve. They sent a text and email to let me know there was availability.

I don't get how they can shut down one that's not taking money or making reservations.

I'm bummed! I used Disney Dining Buddy and it was the reason I was able to book Ohana, Sci-Fi and Crystal Palace (earlier time)....granted only when I got their texts from 1am-3am. I was hoping to try to get an early time at Ohana.

I'm wishing that Disney could offer a waitlist service instead of checking their site constantly. For example, if you tried to book 180 days out and it wasn't available that they could put your name on a list for cancellations based on chronological order.

On the other hand, I use a travel agent (that I don't pay and is authorized by Disney), strictly because they will call for me when the discounts come out and adjust my reservation for me. So I guess I don't know where the line is and what goes too far... maybe its the authorized by Disney part. I don't know.

The TA is informed of the discounts.

The sites that keep an eye out are, likely, constantly hitting the Disney website to find that availability. This likely is against Disney's T&C for how to use their website.

HOW did they notify you of openings though is my question?

Did they just have "fake" accounts that constantly (programmatically) check for dining reservations? If so, that could be an unnecessary load on the system if sites like this are constantly "polling" the reservations via MDE.

Personally I consider a TA and this service completely different. Mostly because TAs are suggested by Disney. In the commercials it says call this number or your TA. For dining reservations they don't suggest you sign up for a reservation service. :)
I almost wonder if they'll eventually come up with their own service.
I'm pretty sure DDB charged you to use their service, so they were taking money. I heard it was $8, but don't know if that was per reservation or to sign up.

I agree that the sites that grab and re-sell ADRs need to be shut down, and fast. But ones that just look for you, and send you an email or text? I was actually excited to learn of such a thing, I thought it was a great idea. As somebody mentioned previously, it's really not so different from paying a travel agent (which I am) a service fee to scout ADRs or room/package discounts for your trip.

Apparently a lot of people feel that alert services like this one made it "unfair" to the people who aren't willing to part with $8.00 per request. If that's true, then I personally think having to check back 20 times a day all day everyday just to maybe get the booking I'm after is "unfair" to the people with, you know, lives and stuff.

I for one found the service to be invaluable to me in planning our upcoming trip, and I'm sad to see it go.

I haven't used the watch list, but I did like being able to check an entire week at a glance rather than having to enter different times and restaurants. I would much rather the sites that resell ADR's be shut down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter