Disney considers reducing portion sizes to cut costs.

I find the phrasing of the comment bizarre, but I would not hate it if portions were smaller. My husband and I almost always share. I’d love to see a menu of sampler sizes like they do for the snack kitchens in Epcot, actually. Half the stuff that comes with a meal we don’t even want.

I did not find the portion sizes too big when I went this past September. Disney portions used to be a lot larger. And someone mentioned the lack of vegetables, and I Agree. It was hard to find vegetables. A lot of fried food and pasta.

I haven’t found their portion sizes to be big since we can’t eat potatoes due to allergies. Usually things come with bunch of fries which is a cheap side for Disney to make. The sub is usually the tiny bag of carrots.

No problem with reduced portion sizes as that has never been an issue for us Canadians. In general we find portion sizes in the U.S. to be very large. However, it is sad that the general trend at WDW is pay to ask guests to pay more for less.

I find the phrasing of the comment bizarre, but I would not hate it if portions were smaller. My husband and I almost always share. I’d love to see a menu of sampler sizes like they do for the snack kitchens in Epcot, actually. Half the stuff that comes with a meal we don’t even want.
But if they make them smaller you may no longer be able to share, and therefore will be paying double?

On the one hand, disney portion sizes are massive. On the other hand, disney food is already incredibly overpriced while being massive.

Given that I went back to my resort with doggie bags nearly every night in my most recent trip, I wouldn’t say this would be my least favorite cost-cutting measure (like cancelling new attractions or reducing entertainment), but it’s still sad to see Disney hasn’t hit the bottom yet.

I’ve never been served a massive portion of anything at WDW. And with all the extra miles I walk in a day there, I need those calories to keep me going! I’m a T1D and my insulin needs go WAY down during a Disney trip because of the extra exercise, and I almost always take off a few pounds over the course of the week.

If they were reducing prices along with the portion sizes, that would be one thing. But giving less while charging more seems to be their general business plan of late.

No problem with reduced portion sizes as that has never been an issue for us Canadians. In general we find portion sizes in the U.S. to be very large. However, it is sad that the general trend at WDW is pay to ask guests to pay more for less.

Weird; I grew up just south of the border and have eaten in many Canadian restaurants over the years. I’ve never once been served a smaller portion of anything compared to U.S. restaurants.

I’ve never been served a massive portion of anything at WDW. And with all the extra miles I walk in a day there, I need those calories to keep me going! I’m a T1D and my insulin needs go WAY down during a Disney trip because of the extra exercise, and I almost always take off a few pounds over the course of the week.

If they were reducing prices along with the portion sizes, that would be one thing. But giving less while charging more seems to be their general business plan of late.
Guess we have different definitions of massive. With the except of a couple steaks and burgers (which are normal size) everything I ordered at TS restaurants has been way too big to finish. Even with the extra walking, I don’t need 2,000+ calories at each meal.

I would prefer a half size, reduced price option for many entrees. I would also love to always have an option to substitute a starchy item for a non-starchy, steamed vegetable or fresh greens. I find a lot of the TS meals are too starchy, fatty and salty and it's hard to find something healthy to eat at times. We prefer TS to QS since it gives us a welcome, air conditioned break. I've started to just order a salad and appetizer and skip the entree but there are times that a smaller version of the entree is what I would prefer. I support the idea of smaller portions if the price is also reduced, even if not proportionately the same. I hate to see so much food wasted even if Disney recycles the resulting methane into biofuel.

Guess we have different definitions of massive. With the except of a couple steaks and burgers (which are normal size) everything I ordered at TS restaurants has been way too big to finish. Even with the extra walking, I don’t need 2,000+ calories at each meal.

We must be ordering different dishes at different restaurants; I’ve never been served a meal at Disney that would cone close to 2,000 calories.

So reduced portions but not price, yep sounds right. I am on vacation, I don't care about my waistline, what a ridiculous and out of touch comment. Eventually this will come back to bite them, you can only nickel and dime so long.

I'd say it's no longer nickel and dime but now has become dime and quarter. I have a trip to WDW in February and am not sure yet if I will cancel or not. It has nothing to do with Covid and restrictions and everything to do with being fed up with the direction of Disney the last few years. And I'm sure there is someone reading this right now who will say, "Good, fewer crowds for me." I once said that as well. Now I am so close to being done with this dime and quarter game with Disney. Other vacation destinations are starting to look a whole lot more appealing to me.

My family has been to Disney six times and although we usually only eat qs I have never been served a meal I could not finish. I am 5"2 and around 135 pounds and I do find them filling but nowhere near "massive" and certainly not shareable for a main meal. I didn't mind (so much) paying their inflated food prices because at least we were not leaving hungry. No way will I pay, on average, $15 per qs meal only to go searching for more food.

We must be ordering different dishes at different restaurants; I’ve never been served a meal at Disney that would cone close to 2,000 calories.

I agree - most of the full CS meals probably land in the 800-1000 calorie range, since that's what you see on fast food menus, and that tends to be the quantity and quality of food served at most CS in Disney...

A few meals might go lower, and a few meals might go higher (especially if they are combos that come with a full sugar drink), but Cheesecake Factory level calories are not the norm. The reason CF got a skinny menu is b/c they had the highest calories/entree in the restaurant world...

It's an issue that's been making its way to restaurants across the country - in particular since last year. It's called "shrinkflation" - the prices of the goods consumers buy don't go up, but the amount you get is smaller so it's a higher price per size. Given how large portion sizes have gotten since the 90s, I can appreciate why we could afford to shrink the portions a bit...but that doesn't mean it doesn't feel stingy when the food is already so expensive at Disney and they've been so cash-grabby lately about everything else.

It's already been happening at Disney, too. I was looking at the Yachtsman menu the other day and noticed that the porterhouse for two is now 28oz. It was 32oz a few years ago when I had it. The price also went up almost $30.

My wife and I actually used this to our advantage at a few places that we knew we could split a full quick service meal. Not at all places obviously, but there were a few we could definitely do this at. So for us this is "technically" another cost increase.
Word. I ate so many kid's meals in WDW when I went (solo) in Sept (especially because it was hot!).

Considers? Not "already going ahead with"? I swear pre-covid Fiar's Nook portions sizes were considerably bigger than what I got a couple weeks ago.
We were just down and there is no doubt portion sizes have already been reduced. We had several sit downs and rarely leave without a "to go" container or two to have as a meal or snack later but not this time, we consumed every morsel on our plates. No price decrease though.

I don't really mind smaller food portions, but the messaging definitely bugs me. I'm reminded of the statement that was put out when they announced the Magical Express was officially shutting down. They were like "You guys don't need DME, you have Uber!" Now they're all like "You guys don't need food, you're fat!"

:c

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter