Disney college program horror stories

Mahwah

Mouseketeer
My daughter and her Disney college program roommate are having second thoughts about doing the program. They arrive on August 19th and are getting really nervous...thinking of not doing it! I told her this is only for a semester and she will be home Jan. 3rd. She really needs this for one of her internships. She said she knows of a girl who got to Disney in May and is already home! I did tell her that just because other people have had bad experiences doesn't mean she will! She has also heard some positive stories too. She went to high school with a girl that did the Disney college program and absolutely loved it!:confused3

My daughter and her Disney college program roommate are having second thoughts about doing the program. They arrive on August 19th and are getting really nervous...thinking of not doing it! I told her this is only for a semester and she will be home Jan. 3rd. She really needs this for one of her internships. She said she knows of a girl who got to Disney in May and is already home! I did tell her that just because other people have had bad experiences doesn't mean she will! She has also heard some positive stories too. She went to high school with a girl that did the Disney college program and absolutely loved it!:confused3

I only know of one friend who left DCP but it was her 2nd internship & only reason she left was because she was bipolar & off her meds....

The program is different for everyone. It is all about how you make of it. I still have a lot of lifelong friends I met there. I'd hate for her to regret this. What role did she get?

I only know of one friend who left DCP but it was her 2nd internship & only reason she left was because she was bipolar & off her meds....

The program is different for everyone. It is all about how you make of it. I still have a lot of lifelong friends I met there. I'd hate for her to regret this. What role did she get?

She got attractions!;) I hope she will have lifelong friends too!

It really just depends on what attitude she goes in with. It is definitely a job. I think a lot of kids go down expecting to play around for 6 months and are shocked when they are actually expected to work really hard. However, it can also be the most rewarding thing you ever do (it was for me). You have so many opportunities to impact peoples vacations in a positive way, no matter WHAT your job is.

I would also fully recommend her joining the facebook groups and meeting potential roommates ahead of time...then when it's time to check in everyone needs to be there together in order to live together. I hear of many people having bad roommates and I think a lot of it could be avoided if they worked to find roommates beforehand. I personally am still best friends with all three of my roommates from my program.

Also, it sounds like common sense, but DON'T BREAK RULES. It is not worth it. People break rules, get termed, and then come home and complain about how awful it was. If you aren't 21, don't drink. If you call in sick to work, don't go into the parks with your ID. If you aren't supposed to have guests past 2 AM, just don't do it. It's not that hard but many college kids think they are too smart to get caught or they are above the law. Not so, and Disney has been dealing with kids in this capacity for years. It's not worth the risk of getting caught. This also plays into roommate finding. All my roommates and I discussed things like this on facebook beforehand and we all agreed that we weren't going to break the rules and risk getting not only ourselves, but each other, in trouble. If your daughter is over 21, I would recommend she live in non-wellness housing, simply because if she lives in wellness housing and anyone in her apartment is caught with alcohol, they can all be termed.

That last paragraph may have sounded kind of scary, but honestly it isn't hard to have a great time. Just keep in mind that Disney is a business and they have expectations for their employees! But if she goes in with a good attitude and willingness to work and a drive to network with her superiors, she will probably have an awesome time. I know I did. Out of my 6 "best friends" from my program, 3 work there full time and 2 are seasonal. Only me and one other girl are no longer employed by Disney, and I personally am trying desperately to get RE-employed by them in a "big girl" job. That is definitely a testament to the company.

Absolutely, don't break the rules. Disney is not a helicopter parent - they expect college students to step up to the plate. They definitely will not baby them. You need to be there when when you are supposed to be there - not even a couple minute late; late is late. You can't call out - not unless you are incredibly sick. I know my daughter went to work sick on more than one occasion. (And, I have seen many Disney Cast Members working when they were sick.) You only get so many call outs and then you are OUT. Under age alcohol is a big deal and so is having somebody in your apartment after the curfew time. Yes, my daughter saw several people dismissed and sent home and you don't want that on your resume.

Basically, you are expected to work just other Disney Cast Members. All in all, my daughter loved it and didn't want to come home when her program was over, but she needed to finish college. She made many friends when she still keeps in touch with and sees.

Before my S23 did the program (when he was 20/21) he had his fears too.
Here's our conversion:
Me: "If you do it and hate it, you'll regret it for a semester"
Him: "If I don't do it, I'll regret it for a lifetime"

Some bad roommates, some great roommates, some bad co-workers, some great co-workers. IMHO: It's great experience. Bored? Go to the parks? Which one? Whichever you want.
Great on the resume, Best credentials for a Disney Fortune100 professional internship.
He plans to go back as a professional intern in HR in a year. Already has his manager's recommendations set up.

She should not really focus on horror stories she hears. These are told by people who got kicked out or are exaggerated. There are some stories about guest interactions which can be bad and some managers may not be great, but on the whole it is a great experience. IF she goes in with excitement and is ready to work then she will have the best time ever. IF she breaks the rules or is not prepared to work then she will have a less than awesome experience. Everyone has a bad day once in awhile, but its alot better to have a bad day at Walt Disney World.

The program is like a roller coaster. It has its highs and lows, its bad days and good days. Usually the horror stories come from those that got termed or self termed because they thought this going to be one big vacation and were not happy with having to work 35+ hours a week. To not do the program after being accepted I think would be a mistake. You get to meet and work with some amazing people from all around the world. You get to experience things that you would NEVER be able to as a guest. Not to mention, adding Disney to your resume is INVALUABLE. My first job interview after my first program all the hiring manager wanted to do was talk about Disney and hired me on the spot. This program can be so much fun if go in with the right mindset and know that it's not all fun and games, but also some hard work.

I did the College Program Spring 2012 and extended through the summer (I ended up being there January-August), and then converted to seasonal in my role (Custodial). I absolutely loved it. The first thing you have to remember is the horror stories are often exaggerated. The biggest point for staying and following through with the program is that you will have worked at a Fortune 100 company before you even graduate. I've gotten jobs post program that never even looked at me before. And plus, if you want to end up with working for Disney for life (what they call a lifer) managers are there for you and will recommend you for roles/positions.

Also, remember this is a job. It's all about expectations. You aren't going down for an 8 month vacation. You will work crazy hours. You will be moved from opening to close sometimes. It's exhausting, but you will learn so much. I have a network of lifelong friends that share my love of Disney. They are all over the globe, but they will always be there for me. Always.

My daughter has loved being in the program - Spring '13. She extended to Aug. 2nd and recently extended again until Jan. 3rd. She works at AK at Kilimanjaro Safaris. She has made many friends and is especially close to two co-workers. I got the pleasure of seeing the three of them in action during a visit in June and you would think they have known each other for years. She was home this weekend for her brother's wedding and could hardly wait to get back - and she is working 45 hours this week! My daughter has nothing but good stories - well maybe a couple of not so good stories about hard to deal with guests - but all in all, this has been a once in a lifetime experience for her. Definitely encourage your daughter to do this. The time will fly by.

45? When I was at Safaris, that would've been considered a slow week. We averaged about 60 during the summer. Kids these days have it so easy! ;)

She might have worked around 60 hours during the time around Easter, but nothing close to that this summer. And she has had two days off every week since she has been there. She extended until January and the thing she is excited about is how early safaris closes.

My son was there from May to January last year and loved it.

My daughter left in May this year - and - my only fear is she won't ever come home to finish college.

Spring advantage 2011 alumni here, custodian in world showcase. Let me just start by saying I loved my program. There were some hard times, but I had so much fun being a part of the magic, and I learned a lot about myself. I even learned that hospitality is what I really wanted to do, and now have a full time job in the field :)

I graduated college December of 2012, but if I hadn't had to come back for college I never would have left Disney.

i feel the same, i will be arriving to do the DCP soon and i have heard tons of horror stories of people getting termed. I understand the drinking and the breaking rules but what i am most nervous about is the stories of getting termed for things people didnt do, or didnt mean to do.

One story was a guy was sleeping and his roommates threw a party with alcohol and everyone was termed including the guy who was asleep who diddnt even drink any alcohol.

Another was of a girl who was termed after a guest hugged her.

another was a guy went into a closet, diddnt turn the lights on and when the manager saw him walk out, accused him of sleeping in the closet and termed him

I understand rules but some of these things i cannot understand.

Basically i want to have an amazing program, i plan to follow all the rules and pray i dont get termed.

My son is currently in the CP at Disneyland, and will be transferring to WDW in a couple of weeks. He is working custodial. He has loved it, but has been doing it since last January and is ready for a change.

I was a professional intern and I have to say it was the worst experience of my life. My boss was known for having mood swings and a troubled past. He said and did terrible things to me. My boss would have other managers do his dirty work by getting them to yell at me and rough me up.
I worked with two other interns that constantly broke the rules but because they were there a semester longer than me they got away with everything. All they would talk about was sex and things that I had no interest in.
I would go home and I would find my roommates doing drugs ( mostly cocaine) and having sex on the living room floor. Three of my roommates had to leave after I reported them. However because they were so popular it made me an outcast amongst the other professional intern.

I've had two kids go through- amazing program. Mine had bad experiences, sure, but they learned SO much. Bad roommate situation handled fairly by housing. Lost wallet found and turned in to Transtar mysteriously disappeared before DD could get it........head of Transtar personally brought my DD a check to cover all. Manager having bad day went off on DD........totally apologized next day by actions, not words, and has treated her amazingly since. I could go on.....

My girls chose to be open to new experiences, follow the rules, work hard and have a good attitude. They succeeded and have this on their resume forever. Hired on the spot for each job/internship since.

I have a brother and a cousin who both did it and they loved it! They both are currently working for Disney now (post graduation). I think it's a great opportunity and it is well worth it.

DS is coming home today after completing his 2nd CP. He was 2014 Spring Advantage in Merchandising and loved it. He helped open the Marketplace Co-Op and extended for a full year. This time around he was Fall Advantage and worked in Food Service at a resort, and didn't have the same great experience. For him it was all about management and his fellow CMs. They had a great team for his 2014 CP and they didn't have that for this one. He submitted a request to extend but only if he could transfer to Merchandising or Attractions. They wouldn't let him do that so he's on his way home today.

I wouldn't say it was a nightmare for him, but it gave him a different perspective on the CP and Disney, which he says was overall a good thing. He's ready to move on with the next phase of his life now, which is a little bittersweet because he's always loved Disney and hoped to get a job with the company. He now sees it's not always a fulfilling experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter