• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Called Today Tips will not be cut out of DDP!~looks like they lied:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming Disney properly words the language regarding the "automatic gratuity" a guest who doesn't pay isn't any different then a guest who doesn't pay a check or decides the food wasn't good enough and decides to discount the food check.

Unless it's the guests last meal Disney could just freeze the account until account is settled. No more park admission and no more meals.

I don't think very many guests run out on a check.

Guests who aren't happy with the food can complain. Those guests generally won't be charged for the bad food but will get a different entree. Guests who aren't happy with the service should complain at the time.

If a party of six is presented with a gratuity check, what happens if they don't pay it?

They have paid for their food already.

What if they decide that they don't want to pay the 18% and leave 10%?

So in order to avoid getting the automatic 18% gratuity added to our check we should divide our party of 8 up into 2 parties of 4? It's not that I minding tipping that much I just don't like being told what to do.

Automatic gratuity is currently applied to parties of 8 or more. That applies even if the party gets separate checks or are seated in separate tables.

I guess you could work around it by getting two different ADRs, under two different names.

LOL remeber you check in to Disney resorts with a large family it says it on your Blue room Key how many are in your party I am sure Disney Is Not Dumb and the Guests will do what you just suggested, and tell the servers to look at the room key in presenting a grat check. Just dont buy the Meal package if your gonna try and scam the process, and if your coming on a family trip and you really wanna sit at seperate tables then be it , But Thats cheesy not to sit with your friends and family because you dont wanna pay the servers what they Deserve

Scam the process? It sounds like the process is trying to scam us!

The servers went from auto 18% on DDP to auto 18% on any party of 6, even if they aren't on DDP. I think it will all even out for the servers in the end. I would imagine there are quite a few parties of 6 or more.

Cheesy or not, not all servers "DESERVE" 18%. So if a family of 8 wants to break up their group that should be their business.

WHERE DO YOU WORK, AGAIN?

p.s. the blue room key doesn't show how many are in your party, just how many are in your room.

Assuming Disney properly words the language regarding the "automatic gratuity" a guest who doesn't pay isn't any different then a guest who doesn't pay a check or decides the food wasn't good enough and decides to discount the food check.
QUOTE]

I don't think that skipping out on a meal is the same as not paying a gratuity, even if its "automatic".

Trying to freeze park admission and further meals would be a serious breach of contract on disney's part, unless it is written into park admission and hotel stay forms that you would need to sign upon check-in.

I have had very few bad experiences with Disney servers - on the free DP or in cash. I can only think of a couple of times where I wouldn't have left 15 - 20%.

At the very least on the DP (next year), the server should be able to give the guests a "bill" that shows what the tip would be at 15 and 20%. I do think also this will aid Disney in keeping costs down - I would re-think a dessert, an appetizer - anything I might not have otherwise ordered, to keep the total cost down. Then again, I've only done the free DDP, I don't normally eat so much food at Disney.

It's a function of how it's worded. We're using terms like "automatic gratuity" and "automatic tip". Assume it's worded something like parties of 6 or more will be charged an 18% service charge. Language that makes it clear it's not optional. Language that deliberately avoids using words like "tip" or "gratuity" which might imply. an optional charge. Skipping out on that charge isn't any different then skipping out on the check. Really no different then a guest who skips out on his adult beverage check.

I'm sure Disney's lawyers will make sure the 18% charge is properly worded.

Guests who line cut can be ejected from the park, without compensation. This really a non-issue, I'm sure the charge will be added to your room charge if you don't separately pay. Guests without room charging may be asked to come to the front desk to "settle up".

Disney doesn't normally send out MYW brochures when guests make a package reservation. I hope Disney makes this clear when guests make their package reservation, particularly if the reservation is for a family of 6 or more.

I'm sure the terms of the package will allow Disney to take appropraite action if a guest walks out without paying.

I don't think that skipping out on a meal is the same as not paying a gratuity, even if its "automatic".

Trying to freeze park admission and further meals would be a serious breach of contract on disney's part, unless it is written into park admission and hotel stay forms that you would need to sign upon check-in.

What is the current wording of the gratuity for parties of 8 or more?

Anyone? disneyserver?

If we knew that, we wouldn't have to assume.

Disney has good lawyers. Disney has good lobbyists with the FL legislature. I'm sure the current, and future wording, complies with whatever legal requirements are required by Florida law. Different states have different requirements. The point is the charge can, and will, be worded in a way that means it's enforceable.

I think it's a moot question. I don't think that many guests "walk out" on a check. Particularly when the restaurant has complete contact information on the customer.

We can assume guests will be required to pay the "automatic gratuity". We can assume Disney's lawyers will make sure the wording is sufficient.

We should immediately complain to a manger if the service is deficient.

What is the current wording of the gratuity for parties of 8 or more?

Anyone? disneyserver?

If we knew that, we wouldn't have to assume.

I'm a bit confused on the automatic 18 percent grat on parties of six or more.

Is this only for folks on the DDP or any party of six or more?

Pure curiosity here. I'm seeing theories being tossed around like you'll have to "settle up" at the front desk, your room key could be assessed, your park passes "frozen," but what about those of us that stay offsite and travel to dinner with friends at the World? My AP doesn't say anything in the fine print about my pass not working if I don't tip a mandatory 18 percent at a meal for parties of 6 (or 8 in the current case) or more.

Just to avoid any possible tempers, I'm a good tipper, but I thought I read somewhere that the mandatory 18 percent on parties of 6 or more was not DDP-related; that it was across the board for everyone.

Folks who say they have read it say it applies to any party, not just Dining Plan patrons. However, only time can tell what Disney actually will do.

The following was in the other thread that got closed and is the wording from the union contract about how parties of 8 or more should be handled.....

FOOD AND BEVERAGE

Service Charge for Parties of Eight (8) or More

An eighteen percent (18%) service charge will be included on all guest checks of groups of eight (8) or more.

1. The guests will be advised of the policy by the first Host/Hostess (i.e., DRC, Guest Services, Concierge, or Seating Host/Hostess) to accept the guest's reservations.

2. In addition to the above, the policy will be printed on the menus.

3. If a party of eight (8) or more, regardless of reservation size, arrives and is seated at the same table and receives separate checks, the automatic service charge shall apply.

4. If a party of eight (8) or more arrives and, for whatever reason, is split and seated at separate tables, with the same server regardless of the number of checks, the automatic service charge shall apply.

5. If the party of eight (8) or more arrives and, for whatever reason, is split, seated at separate tables with different servers, receives separate checks, and these checks are paid for by separate individuals, the automatic service charge does not apply.

6. In situations where our guests refuse to comply with our policy, it will be the responsibility of the service person to locate a Manager prior to the guests leaving the restaurant so that Management can speak with the guests. If the service person fails to involve a Manager in the situation prior to the guests departing the restaurant, or receives discipline for poor service, the Company will not be responsible for the difference between what the guest left and eighteen percent (18%) of the guest's food and beverage total.

7. The eighteen percent (18%) service charge will be automatically added to the guest check and will be calculated on the food and beverage totals. The server will not be required to inform the guest that a service charge has been included, unless he/she is asked by the guest.

And as far as enforcement, I posted the following on that same thread:

They'll enforce it by adding the 18% to your check or presenting you with a check for the 18%.

If you choose to not pay, the manager will make an appearance & if you still don't anti up, security may be called in and you could be ejected from the park (especially if you're a day guest staying off property).

If you're notified of the charge, whether on the phone, by the hostess or on the menu, and continue to dine at the restaurant you're agreeing to pay it.

The other option would be for them to charge the 18% to your room, even if a CC isn't given at check in. Then, the resort would require you to pay your bill before check-out and if you don't, a bill would be mailed to your house (just like in cases where there's room damage).

Once again, flame away if you'd like, but has anyone considered that maybe the reason for all of the proposed changes (both DDP, DDE and even room rate increases) is a result from so many people nickle & diming WDW to death? :rolleyes1

Larger parties get a check that includes the menu price of the food ordered, a service charge (automatic tip) and sales tax. Most guests wouldn't even think about arbitrarily paying less then the amount billed. Food is no good you complain and the restaurant takes back the uneaten food and takes it off the check. Service is no good you complain and may get a new server or the manager may serve you.

Some DDP posters thought they could just ignore any bill for the automatic tip/service charge. They wondered what Disney could do since the food was already paid for.

I'm a bit confused on the automatic 18 percent grat on parties of six or more.

Pure curiosity here. I'm seeing theories being tossed around like you'll have to "settle up" at the front desk, your room key could be assessed, your park passes "frozen," but what about those of us that stay offsite and travel to dinner with friends at the World? My AP doesn't say anything in the fine print about my pass not working if I don't tip a mandatory 18 percent at a meal for parties of 6 (or 8 in the current case) or more.

Just to avoid any possible tempers, I'm a good tipper, but I thought I read somewhere that the mandatory 18 percent on parties of 6 or more was not DDP-related; that it was across the board for everyone.

Service Charge for Parties of Eight (8) or More
"Service Charge" -- that's pretty definitive that it isn't optional.

If you're notified of the charge, whether on the phone, by the hostess or on the menu
That last bit is critical for people to understand: If the charge is revealed on the menu and you still choose to order, you have agreed to pay the charge.

Once again, flame away if you'd like, but has anyone considered that maybe the reason for all of the proposed changes (both DDP, DDE and even room rate increases) is a result from so many people nickle & diming WDW to death?
You're absolutely on-target.

If you choose to not pay, the manager will make an appearance & if you still don't anti up, security may be called in and you could be ejected from the park (especially if you're a day guest staying off property).

I seriously doubt anyone would be ejected from the park because they refused to pay the 18% gratuity (especially if they have received poor service).

See...this is what disturbs me about this whole deal -- If Disney feels so strongly about the issue of servers not being tipped appropriately that they have included more automatic gratuity charges then why did they strip it from the one thing that generated the most tips? I still don't understand why they didn't just increase the price of the DDP. :confused3

Thanks, folks!

I've seen those mandatory "service charges" aka automatic tips on menus at other places, but I just never have to really deal with it since we so rarely eat with a group of eight or more. But come to think of it, it usually is worded as a "fee" or "charge" as opposed to "tip" or "gratuity."

Guests who complain about poor service might get another server. A manager might help out. In an extreme case the manager might agree to remove all or part of the service fee.

A guest who refuses to pay the check, including tax and any applicable service charge, may very well be ejected.

Refusing to pay the 18% service fee, because you don't think the service was good, isn't any different then refusing to pay for the food because you didn't think the food was good. Guests have an obligation to speak up at the time of service. Guests don't have the right to arbitrarily pay less then the total indicated on the check.

I seriously doubt anyone would be ejected from the park because they refused to pay the 18% gratuity (especially if they have received poor service).

See...this is what disturbs me about this whole deal -- If Disney feels so strongly about the issue of servers not being tipped appropriately that they have included more automatic gratuity charges then why did they strip it from the one thing that generated the most tips? I still don't understand why they didn't just increase the price of the DDP. :confused3

I don't think they anyone would be ejected either, but I'm sure it could happen.

I've seen those mandatory "service charges" aka automatic tips on menus at other places, but I just never have to really deal with it since we so rarely eat with a group of eight or more. But come to think of it, it usually is worded as a "fee" or "charge" as opposed to "tip" or "gratuity."

Most any restaurant menu will state that a gratuity of __% is added automatically for parties of __ or more. It's quite standard.

Room service generally results in an automatic gratuity % as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter